Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020 | 09:58 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Nice. I’ve seen this before, but what does it have to do with GTS suspension vs Sport Suspension?

Here is a credible automotive journalist which extensive Porsche experience:

Road & Track August 2018

Someone get Pete over here to Splain this one! He's a pretty knowledgeable due no doubt, but not the preeminent authoritative source so I am curious what his thought process is here. The LS with the sport suspension would seem to be great and the SPASM would seem to improve handling, not degrade it. Did he just not like the ride? Is this his subjective opinion or do we have skid pad, track data or etc. to back the comment. I just have base and never drove a GTS with SPASM so I don't have an opinion. This comment by a journo seems a little counter intuitive.
Old 01-26-2020 | 02:08 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H
I like this one: 2009 Turbo Coupe with Manual and only 32k miles for $69,999. Carfax clean.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/801100010/overview
Was gonna bug eye on the price of that 09 Turbo but in the pictures it shows it's a Tip. Pet peeve of mine is dealers who list automatics as "manual" because technically you can "manually" shift with a paddle or button.
Old 01-26-2020 | 02:18 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Was gonna bug eye on the price of that 09 Turbo but in the pictures it shows it's a Tip. Pet peeve of mine is dealers who list automatics as "manual" because technically you can "manually" shift with a paddle or button.
Agree. When searching for my 997 I would say 1/3rd were incorrect, including Porsche dealers.
Old 01-26-2020 | 02:57 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Yeah, that blows. Perhaps just a mess up, perhaps not.
Old 01-26-2020 | 02:57 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Did anyone grab the PRG '09 S listed on the PCA site the other day? 44k miles, $45,900, including a set of BBS E88 wheels along with originals. It was a PDK, but still, if you figure you can net out $3k on the wheels, that is a lot of car for $43 grand. I don't need a car, but dang, it was tempting!
Old 01-26-2020 | 03:34 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Did anyone grab the PRG '09 S listed on the PCA site the other day? 44k miles, $45,900, including a set of BBS E88 wheels along with originals. It was a PDK, but still, if you figure you can net out $3k on the wheels, that is a lot of car for $43 grand. I don't need a car, but dang, it was tempting!
Was Carfax clean? Be a smoking deal with clean Carfax mileage that low. Problem with those PCA listings as Inusually don’t see a Vin or a Carfax. That would still be a good deal with a wreck on Carfax though.

If PRG is green though, those do move slowwwlllyyy.

Friend of mine had a 993 green for $45k with clean Carfax and mileage around 60k miles for sale for something like 6 or 7 months or more.

Last edited by Doug H; 01-26-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2020 | 04:41 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Nice. I’ve seen this before, but what does it have to do with GTS suspension vs Sport Suspension?

Here is a credible automotive journalist which extensive Porsche experience:

Road & Track August 2018

This is factually inaccurate. The GTS and S have the same suspension components. There is no GTS specific suspension. Only difference is the front sway bar, which I think is from the GT3.
The following 3 users liked this post by 8Lug:
Fined (01-27-2020), SFZ GT3 (02-03-2020), Unframed (01-31-2020)
Old 01-26-2020 | 05:41 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Originally Posted by Porsch
My own personal Rennlist stalker. How fun (and absolutely not weird or creepy).
Old 01-27-2020 | 01:00 AM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by 8Lug
This is factually inaccurate. The GTS and S have the same suspension components. There is no GTS specific suspension. Only difference is the front sway bar, which I think is from the GT3.
You sure about that? I can tell you for sure the GTS suspension without sports suspension option is for sure a lot different than the S I had. Much stiffer for sure. I owned both and frankly there are days I miss the softer 911 S when I'm on our crappy California roads.

According to the Telegraph

"What you get for your £76,758 (the cabriolet is £83,493) is a galvanised-steel, wide-bodied 4x4 Turbo bodyshell, but with rear-wheel-drive running gear. The suspension is tweaked, with uprated springs and anti-roll bars, but the damping remains on the sensible side of eyeball rattling."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...TS-review.html

Car Magazine UK - test car didn't have Sport Suspension

" It's always best to leave the PASM system in Normal rather than Sport, but while the springs have been uprated, the damping has been left alone so there's still enough compliance."

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...s-2010-review/

EVO magazine
"The GTS’s firmer suspension and anti-roll bars do bring an increased sense of stability and grip, but it’s so well judged you never feel like the elevated road-holding limits have come at the expense of handling or feel. You just have to try a little bit harder to breach those limits."

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/69...era-gts-review

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 01-27-2020 at 02:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (01-28-2020)
Old 01-27-2020 | 06:58 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
You sure about that? I can tell you for sure the GTS suspension without sports suspension option is for sure a lot different than the S I had. Much stiffer for sure. I owned both and frankly there are days I miss the softer 911 S when I'm on our crappy California roads.

According to the Telegraph

"What you get for your £76,758 (the cabriolet is £83,493) is a galvanised-steel, wide-bodied 4x4 Turbo bodyshell, but with rear-wheel-drive running gear. The suspension is tweaked, with uprated springs and anti-roll bars, but the damping remains on the sensible side of eyeball rattling."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...TS-review.html

Car Magazine UK - test car didn't have Sport Suspension

" It's always best to leave the PASM system in Normal rather than Sport, but while the springs have been uprated, the damping has been left alone so there's still enough compliance."

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...s-2010-review/

EVO magazine
"The GTS’s firmer suspension and anti-roll bars do bring an increased sense of stability and grip, but it’s so well judged you never feel like the elevated road-holding limits have come at the expense of handling or feel. You just have to try a little bit harder to breach those limits."

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/69...era-gts-review
See the Bespoke GTS suspension thread. Seems like they are finding that the S and the GTS have the same suspension or same component parts. I think a couple of the guys compared the parts list.
Old 01-27-2020 | 07:11 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

This is my finding as well. I didn't dig into it at the level of looking at part numbers. The only thing I've read about a number of times is a stiffer swaybar.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...e-911-gts.html
Old 01-27-2020 | 07:23 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fined
This is my finding as well. I didn't dig into it at the level of looking at part numbers. The only thing I've read about a number of times is a stiffer swaybar.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...e-911-gts.html
Pete Stout also responded in the other thread, but his response seemed to dance around answering the question so bad it appeared to me he may have made a mistake when making that comment on the above page posted by ThomasCarreraGTS.
Old 01-27-2020 | 04:00 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I can tell you for sure the GTS suspension without sports suspension option is for sure a lot different than the S I had. Much stiffer for sure. I owned both and frankly there are days I miss the softer 911 S when I'm on our crappy California roads.
^ Matches my experience.

It's fine and good to question "accepted" reporting. We do it all the time at 000, and are sometimes surprised by the results. A quick Sunday night dig around the internet found many mentions of one or both of the GTS's anti-roll bars being altered (smaller front? hollow rear?), along with conflicting info on springs. Several articles stated the springs were changed, some said they are the same (I'd defer to the PET). The dampers appear to be same from period reports (and the PET), but it's critical to remember that the PASM controller and/or its programming can be altered—with signifiant results, as anyone with a PASM car knows from pressing the PASM Sport button. I'd put none of the above down as "definitive," but I tended toward more reliable sources as I poked around. Curious to see what those interested enough to dig through the PET find—as that's usually a much better source (assuming no quietly superseded parts) and I am here to learn, too.

Suspension shared between Carrera S with Sport PASM and GTS with Sport PASM matches up with what I was told in period, and matches up with my observations while testing the cars in period: keeping everything the same while increasing rear grip would logically induce understeer unless measures are taken to rebalance the chassis. Now curious to see all of the obvious suspects: springs, dampers, AR bars, arms, bushings, PASM controller, alignment, and (prevalent?) tires—and tires can certainly play a role. Don't remember the OE "choices" for the GTS anymore, but N-spec Bridgestones of the period were noticeably better/sharper than N-spec Pirellis in those days (imho), this after quite a bit of time Spyders and 911 Turbos on the various offerings. There is some variance that needs to be accounted for, as press cars can be damaged or misaligned—but that was the exception rather than the rule. I think I only ever felt one car was out of alignment enough to make a call, and it turned out to be well out on toe at the RR.
Old 01-27-2020 | 09:35 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

I just dug up my Porsche 911 GTS marketing book that I received with my GTS and in the 60 pages of highlights about everything that makes the GTS great, and different from the S, there is zero mention of different suspension. I’m attaching the text from the relevant pages below. They mention everything from the power pack, wider rear, and center locks to silly things like different chin spoilers and GTS logos. You would think that if there was anything different about the suspension, they would have written a page about it.
I absolutely love the GTS and have nothing to gain by convincing people that it has the same suspension as a C2S. Maybe I’m wrong. But In all my research, I’ve never come across anything factual to suggest the the GTSs suspension is unique (other than sway bars). A journalist’s opinion or recollection and interpretation of what he was told by a retired Porsche engineer doesn’t change that. If anyone has information that contradicts what I’m saying then by all means please share it. I’m here to learn.

The following users liked this post:
prost893 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-28-2020 | 11:15 AM
Abe Froman
Pro

I just dug up my Porsche 911 GTS marketing book that I received with my GTS and in the 60 pages of highlights about everything that makes the GTS great, and different from the S, there is zero mention of different suspension. I’m attaching the text from the relevant pages below. They mention everything from the power pack, wider rear, and center locks to silly things like different chin spoilers and GTS logos. You would think that if there was anything different about the suspension, they would have written a page about it.
I absolutely love the GTS and have nothing to gain by convincing people that it has the same suspension as a C2S. Maybe I’m wrong. But In all my research, I’ve never come across anything factual to suggest the the GTSs suspension is unique (other than sway bars). A journalist’s opinion or recollection and interpretation of what he was told by a retired Porsche engineer doesn’t change that. If anyone has information that contradicts what I’m saying then by all means please share it. I’m here to learn.
I guess both answers are right?
It's not the same as the Carrera 2S suspension but it's not a special bespoke suspension? It's just a C2S suspension with a GT3 swaybar...
That would make most sense given the GTS ethos (a mix of the S & GT3).
The most logical explanation, to me, for this mix up:
-Stout heard (or misheard) hearsay
-Stout posted this hearsay in an article
-ThomasCarreraGTS remembered Stout's single mention of "GTS-Specific suspension"
-TCGTS made his comment above
-Here we are today.

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)