Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Nice, can't wait to see it fired up!
Old 11-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I do not recall what your plan is for the ECU, did you receive one with the donor engine or are you going to attempt to have Porsche reprogram your current one?
Old 11-20-2016, 01:08 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfk
I do not recall what your plan is for the ECU, did you receive one with the donor engine or are you going to attempt to have Porsche reprogram your current one?
All the ECU and control units came with the car. The engine did not come with the ECU but I think I asked the seller to send it to me. I have not received it yet. I do have the ECU and tip control that came with the car. I will probably have Circle Porsche reprogram but I know I want the Evomsit reprogram too.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:08 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So I began plugging in everything tonight. Went on til it started raining. So I got the water hoses in and the AC lines connected. Got the water reservoir hooked up. I did run into a problem trying to connect what looks like a power steering line. Here is pic:

Am I missing something for this connector?

The hose should go into this receptical.

The other side of the engine where the fuel lines reside are a bit confusing too. The PET guides don't get into details. Is there a proper manual out there somewhere I can buy?
So here is a picture of the driver side of the engine where I need to connect the hose. Anyone have some input??

Where do these connect?

I think I may have a picture of what it looked like before the engine was in.

Well I have some more parts to order and am waiting on the exhaust. I was able to pick one up in Washington State but need to have someone pick it up for me and take it to my shipper of choice. Anyone traveling from Bothel, WA headed here to Socal PM me.

Here are some items that I am considering for footwear.

Love the BBS CH-R wheels

Also like the turbo, think I need spacers though.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:57 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know the part number for this power steering hose? I think I am missing something.

How does this hose go into this threaded hole? ?
Old 11-22-2016, 11:26 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 11-23-2016, 08:13 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

ok, found out from my local Indy this is not a power steering hose but an Air Conditioner hose. They didn't have the part number but did show me the hose on another M97 engine. There is a part that screws into the threaded hole. If anyone can show me this on the pet please do so. I can't seem to find this particular hose on the pet.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:04 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So I did a bit of poking around today under the car. I took it off jack stands but then put it back up on JS. I still have some AC pressure lines to connect and some water hoses to connect around the bottom of the engine. I am seeing a bit of oil weeping right at the oil plug. Is a tiny amount but could be a gasket needed. I am going to remove the whole bottom pan and clean and change the oil. Hope this helps. Here are some pics.

This is the bottom of the engine. You can see a bit of weeping at the oil plug. I am also trying to figure out what hose goes on the red cap.

This is right at the thermostat I think. Is green in color so think it may be coolant. Is a small leak.

Here is another part where some oil is seen.

Okay, this is a mess. I think this part was bent during the tranny/engine install. How can I straighten out this connector without taking the whole engine/tranny out again <br/>

Here is a nest. I think the top left hose is not connected correctly.

Where does this red cap hose go?? I have seen pictures where this snakes around the engine.

Picture with it up on stands.

this arrow is on the center brace under the engine. The arrows currently are pointing to front of the car. Should they be pointing that way or the other way?

Picture of the top bolt on the crossmember, left side of car. Very tough to get too.

Here is the top right side of the crosmember. I think the CV connection is in the way. Gee hope i don't have to undo all that.

Have no idea what this is. Some help please!

Old 11-25-2016, 02:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

There should be an aluminum crush washer under the drain plug. I buy mine from LN Engineering and if you'll be pulling the plug, then replace it with their version that has a magnet on the end to catch any ferrous debris. Also, I use their spin on oil filter adapter with a metal canister oil filter. You can use a Mobil 1, K&N, or Napa Gold filter with their adapter to eliminate the plastic filter canister and the bypass valve/spring built into it.

From the photos, it looks like maybe you're missing some metal hard lines that go around the oil pan area. There are brackets on them that attach to the threaded holes in that area to hold them in place. Looks like that line with the large red cap on it goes to the black metal hard line in the photos.

Arrows on the rear crossmember point forward (toward the front of the car).

Also, Porsche coolant is pink, not green. Not sure if there's a comparable VW or Audi version with the same properties or not, buy you may want to refresh this after taking care of the seeping that created the drip in your photo. 50/50 mix of pink Porsche coolant and distilled water - best to use an AirLift if you have one that will save you a good but of time burping and adding coolant to get to the proper level.

Here are a few pictures I had in my archives that might be helpful.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:48 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Petz. I'll have to order those parts. I am till waiting on the exhaust to come from Washington (bought from a 6SO member) so will give it a week. In the meantime I'll be putting the lights on and checking some electricals to make sure they all work now that the harness is hooked up. Getting close. I think I may have Redline Porsche (here in OC) take a look at the car once I am connected. The owner is a former Newport Porsche guy. I initially wanted them to put the motor and tranny in but hey they would have had all the fun..
Old 11-27-2016, 12:47 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Hello RL and thanks to all who are following my project. It is coming close to being complete. Today I did some checking and found that the gear cable wasn't put into it's slot holder. I had to drop the tranny and engine down a bit to get this clipped in it's slot. I think I am a pro at getting this engine in and out of the car. It's not that big a problem so now when I need to do the 4.0 upgrade on the cylinders I can take the engine out and send it on it's way to the builder. That will probably be next year. For those that have the fear of working on their car just remember Porsche designed these cars so that the engine comes out easily. 8 bolts and it's out (after removing hoses and such).

I also removed the header. I have decided to go and have these refurbished. I also have my eyes on a set of Top1 long headers. I think i'll go with the LN oil adapter. I am currently looking for a new oil pan cover. I am waiting on the water hoses that go around the engine and a threaded joint for the AC hose connection.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
I am currently looking for a new oil pan cover.
I have a perfect oil sump plate that I removed when installing my deep sump. I PM'd you a price.

Last edited by Petza914; 11-27-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:13 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

I will pick up the exhaust tomorrow. Cats and stock headers and stock mufflers. Now I also sent my long tubie style headers to be repaired. I also saw a nice Evoms airbox on Craigslist. Guy hasn't called me back though. I should also get the hardlines that go around the engine by tomorrow or Friday. I hope to have everything installed on the weekend and will attempt to fire her up.

I do have one problem that needs some brain power. It appears to be an AC hose or power steering hose or something. Here is what I currently have:

Looks like a part is missing in order to connect this hose

You can see the threaded insert but the end of the hose is not threaded.

So how do I connect this hose??? Well I did some digging and found this picture:

Looks interesting.

So I assume this threaded insert I can order or do I need to order the complete hose? The complete hose will not be good as the engine would need to come out again to change this hose out. So hopefully I can order the threaded part. Anyone familiar wit this part?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I wish I could help you out definitively, as I have a 997.2, but it appears that is a power steering line judging by the color of the oil. That looks like a quick connect style fitting, it appears the guts have been removed from the female coupler just leaving the exposed female threads.
If worse came to worse, you could purchase the complete hose with the female coupler, disassemble the coupler and install the guts into your empty coupler.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice progress, enjoy seeing what you are accomplishing

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming