997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Went out to the garage this morning and saw some oil dripping from the oil filter and LN Oil adapter. Now I haven't put any oil into the car yet. This is probably just residual oil. However I pulled off the filter (it's a Mobil 1 screw on filter model 107) and also torqued down the adapter to the LN required 18 ft. lbs. I haven't filled up the oil yet so will see if anymore drips happen tonight.

There is another area that is dripping. It is a green fluid.

Where is this coming from?

Here is a look from the rear:

This looks damp to me, anyone seen this before?

Since putting the new oil sump plate on no leaks there in the last 48hrs. Just the oil filter/adapter. Should I have put some loctite 5900 on the oil adapter setup?
email me those photos to petza914@gmail.com so I can enlarge them more than I can do online. Looks like maybe the thermostat housing and maybe a case halve. Porsche coolant is pink though so you probably want to drain the green out and refill with pink in a 50/50 coolant & distilled water mix.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:23 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure, but it might be hydraulic fluid as it is green.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:29 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Went out to the garage this morning and saw some oil dripping from the oil filter and LN Oil adapter. Now I haven't put any oil into the car yet. This is probably just residual oil. However I pulled off the filter (it's a Mobil 1 screw on filter model 107) and also torqued down the adapter to the LN required 18 ft. lbs. I haven't filled up the oil yet so will see if anymore drips happen tonight.

There is another area that is dripping. It is a green fluid.

Where is this coming from?

Here is a look from the rear:

This looks damp to me, anyone seen this before?

Since putting the new oil sump plate on no leaks there in the last 48hrs. Just the oil filter/adapter. Should I have put some loctite 5900 on the oil adapter setup?
There is no need for that; just make sure that both O-rings are seated correctly and slightly oiled, that should do it.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:39 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rikky001
There is no need for that; just make sure that both O-rings are seated correctly and slightly oiled, that should do it.
There was only one O ring on the filter as it came out of the box. I have the LN Oil adapter and am not using the stock filter setup. Should I get another o ring and put it on the new filter?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Rikky001
Racer

There are 2 O-rings. One on the LN adapter that screws on the engine and one for the filter. If you have no O-ring fitted on your LN adapter than you have found the reason of the leak imo.

From LN:

When installing, be sure to lubricate both o-rings with clean engine oil. Screw the oil filter adapter onto the engine by hand. Once the spin on filter adapter is fully engaged to the block, use a 26mm socket and torque to 25 Nm (18 Ft/Lbs). Also be sure to oil the filter gasket and pre-fill the oil filter before installing! Filter should be installed by hand then once snug, turned another 3/4 to 1 turn to finish filter installation, or to the filter manufacturers recommended specifications.

http://lnengineering.com/spin-on-oil...ayman-911.html
Old 12-29-2016, 12:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Also, I think the torque spec on the LN Engineering Magnetic Drain Plug is 19 ft lbs, not 37 ft lbs.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:58 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Just sent the pics. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:21 AM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on LADismantlers - I sourced a rebuilt engine from them a few miles back after an IMS "kaboom" issue and while their communication and documentation left something to be desired - the end product of the rebuilt motor they provided was top notch.

Good luck on your build - I look forward to seeing future posts as it progresses!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:53 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AutobahnMac911
+1 on LADismantlers - I sourced a rebuilt engine from them a few miles back after an IMS "kaboom" issue and while their communication and documentation left something to be desired - the end product of the rebuilt motor they provided was top notch.

Good luck on your build - I look forward to seeing future posts as it progresses!
Yep, Caleb was really helpful. I bought the tranny from them. Had less than 25k on it.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:56 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Oh, happy day! the sensors finally came and they fit! I will tighten the hoses tonight and maybe put the oil in. I haven't seen anymore leaks of oil since I torqued down and tightened the oil adapter.

Now I am trying to figure out my coolant. I see Pentafrost AF, ++, NL, SL and a slew of others. Which one?I don't think any dealer will have any of the porsche stuff in stock.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:16 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Order premixed Porsche coolant from Sunset?
Old 12-31-2016, 12:21 AM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Oh, happy day! the sensors finally came and they fit! I will tighten the hoses tonight and maybe put the oil in. I haven't seen anymore leaks of oil since I torqued down and tightened the oil adapter.

Now I am trying to figure out my coolant. I see Pentafrost AF, ++, NL, SL and a slew of others. Which one?I don't think any dealer will have any of the porsche stuff in stock.
I used VW/Audi G013A8J1G (G12) coolant when I changed out my fluid when I changed my tstat and water pump. I was told it was a less expensive identical coolant. I bought it at Zim's (local to me).
Old 12-31-2016, 12:24 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Is this the coolant needed?
Old 12-31-2016, 07:54 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Can be used. The website tells it is replaced by Pentofrost E.
http://www.pentosin.net/f_antifreeze.asp

Not familiar with other than Porsche's coolant.
Pentosin has good stuff and it tells Porsche so good to go imo. I was told the Porsche original coolant is Pentosin; would not be surprised.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:35 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rikky001. I just returned from the dealer (McKenna in LA). I picked up two gallons of pre-mixed porsche coolant and some 202 hydraulic fluid. I also ordered the junction box that goes onto the tip tranny. Will be about a week or so before that gets here but no big deal now.

I asked the service guy if this is the pre-mixed he said yes. I then asked him if I need to add distilled water and he said no. I then asked him if two gallons were enough for my car as i have a 3rd radiator. He said they never put more than 2 gallons in a 911. Now he seemed like a nice enough guy but what do you guys (the real experts) think. I heard that the black and white container was the pre-mixed one and the all black container needed to be mixed.

Unfortunately I need to buy the Uview Airlift 5500 tool. I image I need it to flush and fill. It will take a few days to get this I think So maybe I can borrow one today.

Before I put my coolant in what do you think about testing airtightness with some distilled water first? That way I don't waste any coolant.

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming