Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 06:50 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Cut the rope off the cap. One miss of the hanger or it slips out of your hand, and it's gonna whack your paint!

Cw
Haha...thanks but I actually like that rope tether, and installed it cause that’s the way the standard one is too. It’s held in place with a plastic rivet that you can remove easily (no need to cut it if you wanted it off). I just prefer it secured to the car.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:52 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,822 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Cut the rope off the cap. One miss of the hanger or it slips out of your hand, and it's gonna whack your paint!

Cw
Maybe if it were made out of metal, like they charge you for.
But its plastic. Crappy painted plastic.
That being said, I cut the rope as soon as I got mine. Ha.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,747 Likes on 4,293 Posts

A few years ago, I had ordered that aluminum Porsche cap, but when it arrived, realized it said "aluminum-look" as it was plastic, like the original, just shiny. I sold it before ever installing it and found some very high quality metal caps that used to be offered by Maxspeed Motorsports - unfortunately, they aren't anymore. They had a set for the engine bay and one for the gas cap. They're real metal and the gas cap has a nice, weighted feel and heavy duty o-ring to seal it. I made a tether attachment and just allow it to hang down where it rests against the tire when I'm refueling, instead of trying to use the gas door hook and risking it falling, as this one would do some damage. My tether came loose a while ago and I've just been setting it on the gas pump when refueling, which is actually easier, so I may remove the tether screw you see in the picture and just leave it as is. Rolled up in the pic is also a "Paint Saver" rubber flap that goes around the filler neck and unrolls to cover the paint on the fender and protect it from fuel spills when the gas pump sometimes does that spurt as it's cutting off. Wish it was made of a better material as they crack at the location near the filler neck and I'll probably just make my own from something next time, but it has saved my paint from some gas exposure more than once.

Here are photos of the engine caps (which fit over and screw onto the OEM caps so you don't have to worry about them sealing or working correctly, and then the gas cap, which is a replacement for the OEM one.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:28 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

That looks cool and I’ve seen those for sale before as well, but I like the plastic version cause it saves weight and won’t damage the panels if it gets swung around by accident by the gas attendant (we don’t pump our own gas in NJ). Plus, it says PORSCHE on it. Lol.

Originally Posted by Petza914
A few years ago, I had ordered that aluminum Porsche cap, but when it arrived, realized it said "aluminum-look" as it was plastic, like the original, just shiny. I sold it before ever installing it and found some very high quality metal caps that used to be offered by Maxspeed Motorsports - unfortunately, they aren't anymore. They had a set for the engine bay and one for the gas cap. They're real metal and the gas cap has a nice, weighted feel and heavy duty o-ring to seal it. I made a tether attachment and just allow it to hang down where it rests against the tire when I'm refueling, instead of trying to use the gas door hook and risking it falling, as this one would do some damage. My tether came loose a while ago and I've just been setting it on the gas pump when refueling, which is actually easier, so I may remove the tether screw you see in the picture and just leave it as is. Rolled up in the pic is also a "Paint Saver" rubber flap that goes around the filler neck and unrolls to cover the paint on the fender and protect it from fuel spills when the gas pump sometimes does that spurt as it's cutting off. Wish it was made of a better material as they crack at the location near the filler neck and I'll probably just make my own from something next time, but it has saved my paint from some gas exposure more than once.

Here are photos of the engine caps (which fit over and screw onto the OEM caps so you don't have to worry about them sealing or working correctly, and then the gas cap, which is a replacement for the OEM one.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:47 PM
justicepool
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Troy,

I haven't been able to drive it enough since we installed the new parts. I would imagine a tune would be necessary to take advantage of the increased airflow. Right now I'm battling uneven tail pipes.

John

Originally Posted by ru_stupid2
HI John, I have the tune kit from Fabspeed, but have not done that yet. I took her out for drive last night and I'm seeing a pretty good difference in performance so far, seems to have a little bit much more umph right around 5K and up. The sounds is amazing when punching it from the get go. I am wondering if a tune is needed at this point?

How are you liking yours so far?

Troy
Old 04-30-2019, 06:18 PM
pcaskey57
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd love to have a set of those quick jacks just for washing the car!!! I'm 6'-5" and washing something so low to the ground is a real pain in my back!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:27 PM
pcaskey57
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

...and took another picture of her today after washing...a real pain in my back but love the outcome!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:57 PM
hamishpotter
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lift - link to product?

Link to product?

Originally Posted by lmaternick

Jacked it...for the "job". Plugs and cols to hopefully fix a misfire issue.
While I'm at it 15/8 spacers going on.
Hoping the relatively easy plug /coil fix works.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by hamishpotter
Link to product?
Those things look sweet!

Here is a link to the manufacturer:
https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-systems.html

Better yet, here they are at Costco!
https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5%2...100460313.html
Old 05-01-2019, 01:01 PM
snosk8luke
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 45 Posts
Default C2S

Repainted my lip and lobsters.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:30 PM
benfidar
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What were your steps?
Old 05-01-2019, 01:30 PM
chuckgm3
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snosk8luke
Repainted my lip and lobsters.
That lip looks awesome. Is that the GT3TEK lip? Was it black poly before? Do you have any pictures with it mounted like that? I'm looking at picking up the GT3TEK 997.2 lip this week. My car is about as low as yours and I'm thinking it would be a fools errand to have one body colored. I'm as careful as I can be with driveways and dips but I feel like once I ad the lip, scrapes will be unavoidable.

Thank you
Old 05-01-2019, 01:41 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by hamishpotter
Jacked it...for the "job". Plugs and coils to hopefully fix a misfire issue.
While I'm at it 15/8 spacers going on.
Hoping the relatively easy plug /coil fix works.
The coils and plug swap worked for me all 6 coils had cracks in them, Be sure to reset the ECU adaptations.(+ 10 min battery negative pull)
Old 05-01-2019, 02:24 PM
snosk8luke
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckgm3
That lip looks awesome. Is that the GT3TEK lip? Was it black poly before? Do you have any pictures with it mounted like that? I'm looking at picking up the GT3TEK 997.2 lip this week. My car is about as low as yours and I'm thinking it would be a fools errand to have one body colored. I'm as careful as I can be with driveways and dips but I feel like once I ad the lip, scrapes will be unavoidable.

Thank you
Thanks My Man! I don't have pics of it just blk but yes, that's how it came. This is a gt3 style lip made for the 997.2 carrera bumper... I just fitted it to my 997.1 bumper. Was not that difficult and almost perfect fit.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:31 PM
chuckgm3
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snosk8luke
Thanks My Man! I don't have pics of it just blk but yes, that's how it came. This is a gt3 style lip made for the 997.2 carrera bumper... I just fitted it to my 997.1 bumper. Was not that difficult and almost perfect fit.
Any info on where you got it or how much you paid? How was the poly finish? Would it look ghetto mounted unpainted?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?