What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

"I bought one today!

My first Porsche and its scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!"

Congrats and welcome. You never forget your first.............Porsche of course.

Steve
Old 03-18-2015, 01:02 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I unintentionally hit the rev limiter...it hurt for the rest of the day!
Old 03-18-2015, 01:08 AM
dasael
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by machdown
I bought one today! My first Porsche and its scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!
Wow! Congratulations! It is an incredible feeling!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:52 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I bought one today! My first Porsche and its scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!
Congrats. Sweet looking ride. And, as for that big a$$ smile, I have to break it to you - it ain't going anywhere! Enjoy it in good health....T
Old 03-18-2015, 03:00 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

I bought one today!
Very nice! Nothing better than a white 997

You got that car at Village Luxury, correct? I looked at it myself before purchasing mine. It was priced very well and had a great maintenance history, but I had an issue with the Sales guy there being deceptive, so I decided to purchase elsewhere.

Anyway, congratulations !!!

If that is the car I am thinking of, it is an 05 with a relatively new engine. So, make sure you get the IMS checked, and upgraded if needed.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
I unintentionally hit the rev limiter...it hurt for the rest of the day!
Cos,

It's about time you "exercised" it!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:09 PM
machdown
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by halo777
Very nice! Nothing better than a white 997

You got that car at Village Luxury, correct? I looked at it myself before purchasing mine. It was priced very well and had a great maintenance history, but I had an issue with the Sales guy there being deceptive, so I decided to purchase elsewhere.

Anyway, congratulations !!!

If that is the car I am thinking of, it is an 05 with a relatively new engine. So, make sure you get the IMS checked, and upgraded if needed.
That's right. Village Luxury.

I felt like the salesman, Jonathan was very honest with me. No pressure kind of approach.

It was the only Ontario 997 with tonnes of service records attached it and no accidents at all. Downtown Pfaff even did a PPI on it and said it was a good car.

How do I know which IMS bearing I have in it? I've got the engine number if that can tell me anything. I believe I have the bigger bearing which is harder to replace but also tends to fail less.

Engine No. M96/05AT69665721
Old 03-18-2015, 03:17 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Good to hear. I had a thorough look at the car, and it looked really nice to me. Aside from the engine, it also had a recent new clutch, IIRC. So, a lot of the major stuff is like new.

I was actually right on the verge of buying it, but the salesman I was working with tried to tack on another $5000+ in extra charges (unwanted warranty, admin charges, over priced security package) .

So, the deal went from great, to blah, at that point. And his persistent dishonesty soured the whole deal for me. The sales guy I dealt with was not Jonathon. So, the guy I dealt with lost out on the commission he would have made if he was honest. More details here, if you feel like reading https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ked-a-c4s.html

Great to hear the car went to a fellow enthusiast! The 997 looks amazing in white (my BIASED opinion) and is one of the harder to find colours. So, you SCORED !!!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:26 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 560 Likes on 332 Posts

i'm sure your vin number will fall into the 'included' in ims settlement category... but since your engine is already swapped/rebuilt you 99% the larger bearing. if u dont have the documentation to prove this the only to know for sure is to look at when the clutch is out.

99% you have the newer bearing.

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...-mar-12-a.html

How do I know which IMS bearing I have in it? I've got the engine number if that can tell me anything. I believe I have the bigger bearing which is harder to replace but also tends to fail less.

Engine No. M96/05AT69665721
Old 03-18-2015, 03:45 PM
machdown
Advanced

After I agreed to purchase they tried very hard to get me to buy the extended warranty. I refused everytime. They even offered to reduce it by $500 which he claimed was his commission.

The following day when I got the call saying financing was approved he tried yet again to sell me on the warranty. Saying the difference was only $40 a month more. This was the finance manager Omid.

If you look up google reviews on the company they are all 5/5 which is very rare to find in a used car dealership. Lots of people had great things to say about this place which added to me buying the car from them. Dealt with a lot of scum bags before I bought from them.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:55 PM
machdown
Advanced

My VIN falls into one of the ranges which explains with the IMS bearing destroyed the first engine.

Anyone to tell what bearing I have using the engine number?
Old 03-18-2015, 04:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 560 Likes on 332 Posts

the warranty (in canada) is the real commission. i have never heard of an aftermarket cdn warranty that has approved a 30k engine fix claim. in fact there was a recent cdn thread where the p-car dealership threatened a pcar owner they would transfer the porsche warranty to an aftermarket one to see how they would do re getting engine fixed via aftermarket warranty.

After I agreed to purchase they tried very hard to get me to buy the extended warranty. I refused everytime. They even offered to reduce it by $500 which he claimed was his commission.

The following day when I got the call saying financing was approved he tried yet again to sell me on the warranty. Saying the difference was only $40 a month more. This was the finance manager Omid.

If you look up google reviews on the company they are all 5/5 which is very rare to find in a used car dealership. Lots of people had great things to say about this place which added to me buying the car from them. Dealt with a lot of scum bags before I bought from them.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:06 AM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Picked up my 997 after X51, SS brake line, AP exhaust, Porsche Sport Classic wheels, Rennline bumper screens and lower mirror trim installation:

X51

New wheels, bumper screens and mirror lowers...

First take: less lumpy idle, more aggressive and smoother acceleration, brake feel has a noticeable improvement with SS lines, AP exhaust sound may be a bit loud for city driving but sounds fantastic in the higher rev ranges.

Last edited by SJP3003; 03-19-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:27 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Cos,

It's about time you "exercised" it!
I do all the time, Tim.
But this is the first time I literally hit the limiter, and felt a split second "stall" which scared the hell out of me. My heart must have stopped a couple of seconds!

Either that, or a plug misfired, but at that moment, I checked my tach and saw the needle drop away from 7k....so I thought that must have been it.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:31 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

While I dont like hitting the limiter, it never was a huge concern on previous, non-Porsche, cars.

Knowing that Big Brother is watching and recording any overrevs on the 997, I try and stay well away from hitting the limiter. So far, so good

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?