Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blah blah 997.2 price blah - let's talk about value

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021 | 04:56 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by groovzilla
There's no replacing a Manual Transmission. It's a Sportscar. The fun is engaging in the shifting and having total control of gears.
Shifting is huge part of the overall Porsche experience.
PDK/Tiptronic owners can defend their choice to the end but we all know Manual Transmission is far better choice.
If you drive in traffic buy a Range Rover or Mercedes SUV and enjoy your MT Sportscar on your days off.

Since I recently now have all days off guess I’ll sell my 911 and only drive the Panny.
The following users liked this post:
skiracer (12-18-2021)
Old 12-19-2021 | 03:04 AM
dougdtx
Advanced

There's no replacing a Manual Transmission. It's a Sportscar. The fun is engaging in the shifting and having total control of gears.
PDK/Tiptronic owners can defend their choice to the end but we all know Manual Transmission is far better choice.
If you drive in traffic buy a Range Rover or Mercedes SUV and enjoy your MT Sportscar on your days off.

You realize that what you are stating is an opinion, right? Not an actual fact. There's no need for either side to defend their preference or insult those who don't have the same preference.
(I've owned MT and PDK... Both are lovely. I'm happy to have a choice of either... Electric is gonna be here before we know it.)
The following 2 users liked this post by dougdtx:
Fined (12-20-2021), ThomasCarreraGTS (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021 | 01:13 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dougdtx
You realize that what you are stating is an opinion, right? Not an actual fact. There's no need for either side to defend their preference or insult those who don't have the same preference.
(I've owned MT and PDK... Both are lovely. I'm happy to have a choice of either... Electric is gonna be here before we know it.)
Of course - Just joking around.
Just like with music, colors/etc to each his own.

Old 12-19-2021 | 01:26 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

There is a very simple solution to this disagreement.

Just buy one of each!

Or wait until everything is an EV and you'll have 2 hands to scratch your......

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 12-19-2021 at 01:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
groovzilla (12-19-2021), linderpat (12-21-2021), Liste-Renn (12-19-2021), ManoTexas (12-19-2021)
Old 12-20-2021 | 03:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

As doughdtx said and I agree completely, those are opinions as opposed to indisputable facts. You have "total control of the gears" in manual PDK/TIP mode although there's no comparison between PDK and TIP. PDK is a manual without a third pedal and the TIP an old fashioned regular automatic.

Manual PDK mode in sport plus is a blast imo. Main difference between this PDK configuration and a regular manual is that you don't have to use your left leg and rather than the traditional "H pattern" you move the gear lever forward and aft. I say this since I always use the gear lever as opposed to the paddles. Gets it even closer to a manual except way quicker shifts and again, you have total control over when and where to shift, just like a manual.

As for "we all know Manual Transmission is far better choice". That's an opinion that's hard to prove as a fact based on sales statistics since the PDK was introduced 2009 with PDK orders outnumbering manuals by an 80% to 20% margin on average. One would have to believe that around 80% of 911 buyers have made the "wrong" choice 13 years in a row. And to repeat, neither Ferrari, nor Lambo have offered manual transmissions for years now due to lack of demand. Not an option with either brand. But an old fashioned manual is "a far better choice"? Based on what other than a personal preference that's shared by a small minority that keeps shrinking?
Old 12-20-2021 | 09:31 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Come on, sandwedge...thou doth protest too much, methinks.

Who T F really cares about sales statistics?

Every 997 on this forum gets driven more on the street than on a track, unless it is a race car and not legal on public roads.
Yes, the PDK is a fabulous transmission, but it is not a manual. You merely "vote" with that stick or floppy paddles.
Ergo, if the shift will cause an over rev, the PDK will not let you make it. There is a nanny in control (Just like PSM cannot be completely disabled, even when OFF...and the ECU will begin fuel topping to prevent an acceleration over rev...and the ABS will prevent wheel lock up...and the traction control on a GT2/3 will prevent wheel spin). I could go on, but suffice to say it removes a layer of control interface from the driver.

Yes, it shifts faster- the 991.1 GT3 was not even offered with a manual...because a PDK is faster on a track.
But we don't drive much on tracks in our 997s, at least most of us don't.
As such, we are looking for something more from our cars than pure speed.

There was a hue and cry when the 991.1 GT3 PDK-only was introduced, and PAG responded to the enthusiasts by making the 991.2 and every iteration since (save the turbo) available with, first a 7MT, and then a NEW 6MT (developed for the 911R- a true "driver's" 911 if there ever was one).
The Speedster followed, available ONLY with the 6MT. Then the GT3 Touring.
And every GT3 model post the 991.1 is available with a manual transmission.
Look at the online auction sales results (I do, regularly)...the manual cars reliably sell for more than their PDK versions.

Yada, yada, yada that the PDK has outsold the MT 13 years in a row. You are missing the point with those stats.
It's not about what is most popular, it's about what is most pure in terms of the driver/machine interface.
You've seen it in aviation with Airbus and other fly-by-wire models insulating the operator (pilot) from the flight controls, throttles- deleting trim entirely- and replacing hydro-mechanical cables with potentiometers.
The 991 introduced e-steering and replaced the ratcheting parking brake with an e-brake.
Auto rev matching, rear wheel steering, PSE... Adaptive cruise control, lane control assist? Where does this all end?
Self-driving vehicles, that's where we're headed.

Yes, the enthusiasts who prefer a MT are a shrinking pool, but we do exist and PAG is still committed to serving us with driver focused models such as the GT3 Touring and Speedster that only come with 3 pedals.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what I, nor you, think. And the debate will not end until the MT is a relic, and soon after, the ICE.

(I actually love my Macan GTS PDK. It is an awesome transmission, better than I will ever be with my manual 997 GTS. It suits the vehicle and I would not want a manual in it if one existed. But, in my 997, I find it incredibly rewarding employing heel-and-toe rev matching to maintain chassis balance on hard braking downshifts.)

Yo, it is very late and the scotch is tasting way too good, so I will STFU and let the poor dead horse RIP.

Goodnight.
P.S. As Prairiedawg stated above, buy one of each...there is no right answer. But 3 pedals are righter than 2!

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 12-20-2021 at 09:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
Skwerl (12-20-2021), soundbehindyou (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021 | 12:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've said this before, but I'll put it here again. I think the new Porsche buyer is different than the used Porsche buyer in that it's the used car buyer that places the high value on the engagement provided by the manual transmission, more so than the guy (or gal) buying the new car. This is why the PDK outsells the manual 80/20 if those are the right numbers and why the manuals command significantly higher values in the used car market (because only 20% of the cars available have the transmission that 50% of of the used buyers want - there's your simple supply & demand analysis for why manuals sell at a premium in the space where most of us live - the used car space.

As everyone here knows, I'm a manual guy and wouldn't own a 911 any other way. I've ridden in a blindingly fast 991 Turbo S with PDK and the speed capability was amazing, but it wasn't as engaging. That being said, I just traded a guy a 5-speed 928 for his Auto one and it's an old school 4-speed torque converter automatic, not anywhere close to a PDK. It was just such a nicely finished car with perfect paint and some body mods that as a 6th Porsche, that's more a GT car than a sportscar, I didn't need to have another manual. It's now my DD and running errands, sitting in traffic, or just long highway cruising it's fine. It has a nice relay mod on the shifter button where I can manually activate the kickdown switch to force a gear down without having to be at full throttle.

The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
Liste-Renn (12-20-2021), Ripking (12-25-2021)
Old 12-20-2021 | 12:58 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I thought of a very good example of why I (and others) prefer Manual Transmission vs PDK.
Manual transmission is like playing real drums. Control of the beat using your body and being completely involved.
PDK more like using drum software on computer or drum machine. No "feel" of hitting the skins and no body involvement.
Both get you to your desired destination.

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-20-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Liste-Renn (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021 | 02:16 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

I thought of a very good example of why I (and others) prefer Manual Transmission vs PDK.
Manual transmission is like playing real drums. Control of the beat using your body and being completely involved.
PDK more like using drum software on computer or drum machine. No "feel" of hitting the skins and no body involvement.
Both get you to your desired destination.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-20-2021 | 11:59 PM
911Mann
Advanced

Agree 1,000% !!
Old 12-21-2021 | 03:28 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
Come on, sandwedge...thou doth protest too much, methinks.
Isn't it all about sharing experiences and opinions here? If my opinions bother you to that end, two simple solutions:

1. Don't read my posts.
2. Put me on ignore. A few simple clicks between your sips of scotch will do it
Old 12-21-2021 | 03:54 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Absolutely the forum is an exchange of ideas. No fun preaching to the choir and agreeing about everything.

Sorry I came off like a douche. It is you who should ignore my inebriated rants.
Your posts are uniformly informed, articulate and thoughtful. Keep them coming.

I will endeavor to write in a more civil manner.

Happy Solstice!
Kineticdg (12-23-2021)
Old 12-21-2021 | 01:39 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

I think we should shift our conversation to how (little) some of us paid for our cars because we got in before all the speculators made it cool to have an "investment" they can polish with baby diapers.

I'm sure that'll rustle some jimmies
groovzilla (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021 | 02:17 PM
cyclrder
Pro

I take offense to the diaper comment! Those hospital diapers are the best for cleaning my cars….and they work especially well on a 3 pedal machine…. Just sayin.

Happy Holidays boys and girls or whatever else you want to be called. 🎄🎅🇨🇽🤶🧑‍🎄
Old 12-21-2021 | 02:34 PM
911Mann
Advanced

Originally Posted by hexagone
I think we should shift our conversation to how (little) some of us paid for our cars because we got in before all the speculators made it cool to have an "investment" they can polish with baby diapers.

I'm sure that'll rustle some jimmies
That's gonna depress me since I just sold my Boxster, and now I'm beginning my search for a 997.2 6sp coupe.

Quick Reply: Blah blah 997.2 price blah - let's talk about value