Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blah blah 997.2 price blah - let's talk about value

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 02:46 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 186 Posts

Like millions of others my only complaint about the 996 is the headlights. I drove and almost purchased a 996 Turbo MT last summer and I really enjoyed the car but decided against it because I was out garage space.

My only complaint with the 991 and 992 is the console. It looks exactly like the Macan console, which is fine in the Macan but not in a sports car.

I know this is supposed to be a 911discussion but I dropped my 997.2 off at the dealer yesterday for service and they gave me a Macan for a loaner. They interior is very nice leather and pleasing to the eye. It has wireless Carplay and other nice features but my wife’s Toyota has dynamic cruise and self driving for half the price. I don’t understand why the Macan with a $62,000 price tag doesn’t at least come with dynamic cruise. We paid $32,000 for my wife’s 2020 Rav4 hybrid and it has everything the Macan has and more.
The following users liked this post:
Doug H (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 06:50 PM
Kineticdg
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Oh there were people complaining on here saying a step backwards and etc. I had 3 996 turbos and I did not care much for the inlets and front facia of the 997.1 Turbos. I thought, and still think, both are a bit busy and gimmicky looking on the 997 Turbo. I always thought the NA 997s a bit plain Jayne looking (I am more of an exotics/Italian guy since 2005ish), but came to appreciate them much later (2016/17 ish) due to the direction of the 991s.

Back in 05, I also though Porsche should have gone with a front end and head light comparable to the CGT and make the entire car a bit more modern and sleek.

There was talk and threads on this just as there was when the 991 and the 992 came out. People also complained about the 996s when it came out, but didn't they sell something like 175,000 996s?
I went back and checked, and you're right - some people complained about the design. Which is... something. When I first saw it, I thought it rivaled the 993, which was also somewhat compromised (the designers wanted to eliminate the rain rails and make the glass flush, but the budget wasn't there).
Doug H (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 10:53 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

See, I prefer the 458. I had a 360 Spyder and a 360 CS. Now I think the 360 is tired and not super great looking after having 3 458s. I almost like the 355 better than the 360 . . . 355 Spyder was my first Ferrari.

I got rid of my last 458 for a Permoante, but man I really think the 458 may be the best all around sports cars ever.
To continue this OT...I love the 355. My fav mid-engine F car design. I am a bit of a Luddite, I confess. I also would prefer a 550 to a 599..
Doug H (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 11:55 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Kineticdg
I went back and checked, and you're right - some people complained about the design. Which is... something. When I first saw it, I thought it rivaled the 993, which was also somewhat compromised (the designers wanted to eliminate the rain rails and make the glass flush, but the budget wasn't there).
Back in 2004/05, I wanted to see the 911 evolve into something a little more exotic, sport car like with headlights and front end similar to the CGT. I was so enamored with the lines of the CGT back then and I truly thought going back to a round headlight was a step backwards way back then. I really like the 997 design now and like it much better than the 991. I love the wide hips on the 992 and think the 992 Turbo in person is very manacling, bad boy looking in black.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I don't know one person that thought the 997 wasn't a vast improvement on the 996. I was awestruck when I saw the 997 and had 2 996's and couldn't wait to order one.Tom
You and me both. Still seems to be the consensus almost without exception.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

See, I prefer the 458. I had a 360 Spyder and a 360 CS. Now I think the 360 is tired and not super great looking after having 3 458s. I almost like the 355 better than the 360 . . . 355 Spyder was my first Ferrari.

I got rid of my last 458 for a Permoante, but man I really think the 458 may be the best all around sports cars ever.
Agree. The 458 is my favorite Ferrari ever. Never owned one but hope to one day. The only Ferrari I would consider buying if I get in a position to do it. I hear they're pretty reliable too as opposed to some of the earlier models with reported nightmarish maintenance/service/repair expenses.

Doug H (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 10:41 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,243 Posts

My brother loves his.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ironman88:
Doug H (03-08-2021), parhouse (03-09-2021), TommyV44 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 10:59 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
Like millions of others my only complaint about the 996 is the headlights. I drove and almost purchased a 996 Turbo MT last summer and I really enjoyed the car but decided against it because I was out garage space.

My only complaint with the 991 and 992 is the console. It looks exactly like the Macan console, which is fine in the Macan but not in a sports car.

I know this is supposed to be a 911discussion but I dropped my 997.2 off at the dealer yesterday for service and they gave me a Macan for a loaner. They interior is very nice leather and pleasing to the eye. It has wireless Carplay and other nice features but my wife’s Toyota has dynamic cruise and self driving for half the price. I don’t understand why the Macan with a $62,000 price tag doesn’t at least come with dynamic cruise. We paid $32,000 for my wife’s 2020 Rav4 hybrid and it has everything the Macan has and more.
Macan is about the driving experience and looks. If you want electronics and user interface, buy a Lexus or Japanese. If you want a driver's car with good looks, stay far, far away from Japanese with 2 exceptions, GTR, NSX and RCF (RCF is actually a nice driving car).

I really do not like lane assist, never use cruise, dislike Carplay and don't want self drive. My wife has a Lexus SUV and that lane assist feature is super annoying and unsettling at times as it it almost tries to put you back in your prior lane when switching lanes on interstate slowly or smoothly.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:24 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

My wife has a Lexus SUV and that lane assist feature is super annoying and unsettling at times as it it almost tries to put you back in your prior lane when switching lanes on interstate slowly or smoothly.
Doesn't the turn signal shut off the lane assist? Is it possible the blind spot assist is what you are feeling?
Old 03-08-2021, 12:58 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Doesn't the turn signal shut off the lane assist? Is it possible the blind spot assist is what you are feeling?
Lol, perhaps, but I suppose I never use turn signals on interstate unless close to someone to give them a heads up. Kind of useless when coming up behind someone which is what I am doing 90% of the time. Perhaps I need driving school, but I probably really never use turn signal unless kind of getting boxed in and need someone to pay attention and let me over.

The lane assist will literally bump you back into your lane so it is kind of a back and forth when changing lanes smoothly and slowly like I usually do on the interstate. I also get a little unwanted feedback when just cruising wide open interstate just near the edge of the lane.

Not a huge deal, but people drove without this stuff for years and stuff like this just gives more reasons for a dumbed down, millennial mind set public to be a sleep at the wheel of life and be a little bit, uuhhhmmm pathetic. I think all of us in our old **** 911s are doing just fine without this sleep at the wheel driving stuff.
ThomasCarreraGTS (03-30-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 01:00 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Then again, I also hate any traction control (PSM) or grannies as they make the car feel a bit unsettled when the kick in on a track as I am always having the car do exactly what I want it to do whether at limits or in recovery. I, however, see the absolute need for this stuff in the super high powered sports cars of today for John Q. Public driving them or a lot of people would be getting hurt badly. That is a different story from lane assist, adaptive cruise control, self drive, wipe nose/**** electronics.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,705 Likes on 4,262 Posts

Lol, perhaps, but I suppose I never use turn signals on interstate unless close to someone to give them a heads up. Kind of useless when coming up behind someone which is what I am doing 90% of the time. Perhaps I need driving school, but I probably really never use turn signal unless kind of getting boxed in and need someone to pay attention and let me over.

The lane assist will literally bump you back into your lane so it is kind of a back and forth when changing lanes smoothly and slowly like I usually do on the interstate. I also get a little unwanted feedback when just cruising wide open interstate just near the edge of the lane.

Not a huge deal, but people drove without this stuff for years and stuff like this just gives more reasons for a dumbed down, millennial mind set public to be a sleep at the wheel of life and be a little bit, uuhhhmmm pathetic. I think all of us in our old **** 911s are doing just fine without this sleep at the wheel driving stuff.
I hate that feature. Rented a Jeep Cherokee in Colorado that had it enabled and was leaving the airport in a heavy rain. I was trying to gently switch lanes and I thought there was something majorly wrong with the car to where I almost took it back. I'd gently move left, it would steer me back. I'd steer a little harder, it would steer back harder. It created such a wag back and forth and so much instability, it almost spun the car. Pulled over, Googled how to turn that stupid thing off and then the car drove like it should.

The only modern safety feature I like is the blind spot warning in the mirror and really only so that if you need to make am emergency lane change you can quickly tell if there's something there already or if it's OK to swerve. I don't need laser distancing cruise control, park assist, auto-park, auto high beam dimming, automating braking for collision avoidance, etc,, etc, etc.

When I'm driving a car, I'm driving. I'm not riding in a car sitting behind the steering wheel. What's so ironic about all these "safety" enhancements is that they're actually what has created and contributes to today's distracted driving. "If the car keeps up with traffic by itself, and can slow itself down, and keep me in my lane, then why do I need to pay attention when I'm driving?" That's the mentality that got us where we are today. They need to fix the problem, not fix the car to compensate for the problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
Ohio Performance (03-08-2021), ThomasCarreraGTS (03-30-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 02:30 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I would agree with most of that except maybe for the 996. Did it ever garner respect and admiration as a great example of a 911? Seems like it's brought up more often than not as a model they should have skipped and gone straight to the 997 instead.
I am that guy.

Had a 996.1 C2 w/ 78k mikes I bought for $18k on BaT in 2017. When it came time to get back into a Porsche I never considered a 996, went right to the 997 and 991.1.

While the 996 was a great value when I bought it in 2017, in 2020 it wasn’t.

I was seeing $25k-$30k C2 examples under 80k miles in 2020.

I spent $39k on my 997.2 C2 with 43k miles.

That extra $10k-$15k was money well spent IMO.

vs.

Last edited by ATX_Native; 03-08-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:39 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I hate that feature. Rented a Jeep Cherokee in Colorado that had it enabled and was leaving the airport in a heavy rain. I was trying to gently switch lanes and I thought there was something majorly wrong with the car to where I almost took it back. I'd gently move left, it would steer me back. I'd steer a little harder, it would steer back harder. It created such a wag back and forth and so much instability, it almost spun the car. Pulled over, Googled how to turn that stupid thing off and then the car drove like it should.

The only modern safety feature I like is the blind spot warning in the mirror and really only so that if you need to make am emergency lane change you can quickly tell if there's something there already or if it's OK to swerve. I don't need laser distancing cruise control, park assist, auto-park, auto high beam dimming, automating braking for collision avoidance, etc,, etc, etc.

When I'm driving a car, I'm driving. I'm not riding in a car sitting behind the steering wheel. What's so ironic about all these "safety" enhancements is that they're actually what has created and contributes to today's distracted driving. "If the car keeps up with traffic by itself, and can slow itself down, and keep me in my lane, then why do I need to pay attention when I'm driving?" That's the mentality that got us where we are today. They need to fix the problem, not fix the car to compensate for the problem.

I watched in the printing industry for over 40 years while technology removed the trade work (craftsmanship) and replaced the talented workers with minimum wage drones. I was at least partially responsible for the demise. It troubled me throughout but other than writing manuals that explained the underpinnings there was little to be done to save the methodologies.

Yep, that's a cultural event that goes across all fields and affects the general public's overall relationship with their environment.

And yes, That includes driving.

But from another viewpoint, lane assist is helping us remember to use our turn signals to warn those whom our blind spot assist may have missed while we were busy ignoring everything else!!! IMHO it's not a bad habit to be reflexively prone to use all of the communication sources supplied by our cars (yes, that goes beyond just the turn signals to lane language, flashing brake lights, and more).
Old 03-08-2021, 05:32 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914

Yep, love blind spot, especially when backing out of parking spaces and cannot see around cars. That waggle back and forth is pretty much how it when I drive my wife's Lexus. I make her car sick when I drive her in it!
MissileFlyer (03-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Blah blah 997.2 price blah - let's talk about value