Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS Cars For Sale On The Web

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 06:25 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 412 Posts

Ha! Chris, obviously you know a thing or three about Porsches on the road and track and know what you're potentially getting into/out of! Nicely done. Whatever you decide to get, best of luck and keep us posted.

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Thanks to all who replied to my "joining in" post. Didn't expect that To elaborate a bit, I don't have a problem with how the GT3 rides/sounds/etc. Love it all. The reason I'm considering a move to a GTS is to get both a track car and a nice street 911 for what the GT3 would sell for. So in effect cashing out on the high GT3 sales prices, although that trend may have already peaked. I haven't driven a GTS, but have driven plenty of 997 base and S models. Full disclosure I have a very small pcar mod/maint/restoration business and have been in PCA as an instructor for "a while now." Was in the 2nd PCA race ever, etc. So I like my track time. But it has been very spotty the past 15 years.

Since I'm considering getting to the track as a driver more often and having a near/dedicated track car (951 for example) would be ideal for that, and still wanting a nice 997.2 (my fav) the GTS seemed to fit the bill. They are experiencing their own run up in prices so maybe it's not an ideal time to buy. But life is movin' along, so climb aboard!
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (01-25-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 03:18 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
@sandwedge are you selling?!? You and I are the long time GTS holders here. also semi masochistic with our sport buckets.
I don't think so nwGTS. I've always traded into something different every three years or thereabouts so I've kept going back and forth on what to do. I've finally decided to keep what I have.

Four reasons:

1. I have the car set up just the way I want it and would have to spend close to $20K to get a 991 or 992 close to the same look and feel. Non starter besides the fact that a 991 or 992 will never look like a 997 no matter what you do to it. Also, see reason 2 below.

2. I don't know what I would get as the replacement that would make me happier. Not into the 991 or 992. I've tried hard but it's not happening.

3. I had my car on the market about a year and a half ago I think and got more questions on whether or not I had the stock seats and stock wheels (I have neither) than anything else. I love the buckets and the Forgelines so I basically said to myself....why bother if two of the things I like most about my car is a deterrent to what seemed like the majority of potential buyers?

4. I think the 997 GTS with its limited production numbers and special features will not necessarily be a good "investment" but I do think it may be one of those rare cars that will hold its value well and maybe even increase with time unless not cared for and serviced on schedule and tons of miles put on the clock. I know I could sell it now for what I paid for it some 5 years and almost 50K miles ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by sandwedge:
cbracerx (01-26-2022), Liste-Renn (01-27-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 01:16 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

We've both gone through the same mental calculus. Right now I am on the list for a Lotus Emira but I am not sure I will pull the trigger even if I get the allocation. For me, the folding buckets and overall setup of my car is difficult to beat: LSD, high-flow headers, center muffler bypass, Eibach springs, SSK, 5-lugs, etc. I've got a couple other mods up my sleeve before the driving/road trip season starts again. Your point about our cars maintaining their values over time resonates. I don't see my GTS as an investment because I intend on driving it 6-8K miles per year. But it is appealing to speculate that the values will stay level if not slightly increase as I enjoy and drive the car. I'm not sure I can say the same about the Emira. Good first-world problems to have.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I don't think so nwGTS. I've always traded into something different every three years or thereabouts so I've kept going back and forth on what to do. I've finally decided to keep what I have.

Four reasons:

1. I have the car set up just the way I want it and would have to spend close to $20K to get a 991 or 992 close to the same look and feel. Non starter besides the fact that a 991 or 992 will never look like a 997 no matter what you do to it. Also, see reason 2 below.

2. I don't know what I would get as the replacement that would make me happier. Not into the 991 or 992. I've tried hard but it's not happening.

3. I had my car on the market about a year and a half ago I think and got more questions on whether or not I had the stock seats and stock wheels (I have neither) than anything else. I love the buckets and the Forgelines so I basically said to myself....why bother if two of the things I like most about my car is a deterrent to what seemed like the majority of potential buyers?

4. I think the 997 GTS with its limited production numbers and special features will not necessarily be a good "investment" but I do think it may be one of those rare cars that will hold its value well and maybe even increase with time unless not cared for and serviced on schedule and tons of miles put on the clock. I know I could sell it now for what I paid for it some 5 years and almost 50K miles ago.
Liste-Renn (01-27-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 03:04 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge

Four reasons:

I've come to basically the same conclusion and am in the same boat. I've dialed this thing in so much I just dont want to start over. The only upgrade for me is a 997.2 GT3 but I NEED back seats so I can take my kid with us. I almost bought one to add to the GTS but instead am dabbling in other marques. Eventually, I think this will be a permanent resident to the garage with other things rotating around it. Fortunate place to be.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:12 PM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
We've both gone through the same mental calculus. Right now I am on the list for a Lotus Emira but I am not sure I will pull the trigger even if I get the allocation. For me, the folding buckets and overall setup of my car is difficult to beat: LSD, high-flow headers, center muffler bypass, Eibach springs, SSK, 5-lugs, etc. I've got a couple other mods up my sleeve before the driving/road trip season starts again. Your point about our cars maintaining their values over time resonates. I don't see my GTS as an investment because I intend on driving it 6-8K miles per year. But it is appealing to speculate that the values will stay level if not slightly increase as I enjoy and drive the car. I'm not sure I can say the same about the Emira. Good first-world problems to have.
more details on your high flow headers please! I’m abt to install lowering springs and those adjustable rear link and toe steer kits. I don’t know if it’s an AWD thing but I hate that slight wobbly feeling on fast, hard cornering. Feels like it’s coming from the rear (no, not old tires or bent rims or bad alignment)

Last edited by fayraree; 01-26-2022 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
About the same here, probably even less miles per year as I work mostly out of my home office now so no daily commute. I'm guessing 4-5K miles/year for me. Maybe even less. As for our cars holding their value... like you say, all we can do is speculate but like I said previously, I like our odds. Low production numbers, only wide body 997 RWD coupe except for the GT3 RS and the GT2. And then the X-51 power kit. A near $20,000 option that was almost thrown in for free when the GTS was introduced 2011 if you added everything up compared to a C4S which would be the nearest comparison. I remember reading auto critic reviews calling the GTS an "unheard of Porsche bargain".

And yes, definitely first world problems we're discussing. I don't think most here got to where they are watching TV all day long from the couch though.

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I've come to basically the same conclusion and am in the same boat. I've dialed this thing in so much I just dont want to start over. The only upgrade for me is a 997.2 GT3 but I NEED back seats so I can take my kid with us. I almost bought one to add to the GTS but instead am dabbling in other marques. Eventually, I think this will be a permanent resident to the garage with other things rotating around it. Fortunate place to be.
Well, that's the thing. If you want the car a certain way you're adding quiet a bit to what you pay for the car in the first place. Again, I lucked out and found exactly what I wanted and paid no or next to no premium for the buckets and the Forgelines. Unlikely to happen again. For the GT3, I love it but I don't track and most of my driving is in the city so the GTS is a nice compromise as I see it. And it's a wide body which I've become addicted to. Some say that 1.75" additional *** width or whatever it is can hardly be noticed so why pay extra for it. To each their own but to my eyes it's very noticeable.

I've dabbled in other marques as well but so far, nothing has satisfied like a 997. I couldn't take my eyes off an Aston Vantage when I saw one and finally drove one a couple of years ago. Took me less than 5 minutes to realize it was not the car for me. Love the looks of it but driving it made me forget about the looks in short order. Didn't like the driving position no matter how many adjustments I made. The car felt heavy and tired and nowhere near as responsive in any aspect compared to our 997's. But, just another opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of Vantage owners out there who wouldn't have it any other way.
The following 3 users liked this post by sandwedge:
cbracerx (01-27-2022), Liste-Renn (01-27-2022), ThomasCarreraGTS (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 12:53 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Click on the link in my sig to get details in my build thread. Bottom line is don't buy the headers I bought (Top Speed). Go with Soul or other reputable aftermarket shop. If you are experiencing a wobbly feeling with hard cornering, I'm not sure that is due to AWD, but perhaps suspension bits not functioning as expected and worn bushings/links. If anything, confidence and grip should be amplified with AWD. I recommend getting your rear suspension checked out.

Originally Posted by fayraree
more details on your high flow headers please! I’m abt to install lowering springs and those adjustable rear link and toe steer kits. I don’t know if it’s an AWD thing but I hate that slight wobbly feeling on fast, hard cornering. Feels like it’s coming from the rear (no, not old tires or bent rims or bad alignment)
fayraree (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 01:58 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

I made a video comparing ownership of my 997.2 GT3 and GTS prior to selling the GTS, but my video editor for my business got it all wrong and we've been too busy with other projects to fix it.

I will get back to it but must say that in many ways the GT3 is as good of a daily as a GTS assuming the GTS has sports suspension for ride quality, and anyone with either car should get a DSC controller...that's for sure. Clutch would suck if you have to do stop and go, but if that's part of your daily driving I wouldn't have a manual anyway. The stiffer clutch is a non-issue for me, and at the age of 63 I need to keep my legs in shape anyway.

But there is no replicating the transmission and engine. It makes driving an event. The downside....and it does suck...is the need for CONSTANT awareness of dips. The GTS was like...la-de-da, no worries. The GT3 you gotta go oh...approach this intersection slow, then at an angle...I mean many of you know this. I also have a 991.1 GTS and it sits lower than the 997 GTS.

As an all-rounder the 997 GTS is fab. Wish I could have kept it too, but could not.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 01-27-2022 at 02:33 PM.
cbracerx (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 04:07 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I made a video comparing ownership of my 997.2 GT3 and GTS prior to selling the GTS, but my video editor for my business got it all wrong and we've been too busy with other projects to fix it.

I will get back to it but must say that in many ways the GT3 is as good of a daily as a GTS assuming the GTS has sports suspension for ride quality, and anyone with either car should get a DSC controller...that's for sure. Clutch would suck if you have to do stop and go, but if that's part of your daily driving I wouldn't have a manual anyway. The stiffer clutch is a non-issue for me, and at the age of 63 I need to keep my legs in shape anyway.

But there is no replicating the transmission and engine. It makes driving an event. The downside....and it does suck...is the need for CONSTANT awareness of dips. The GTS was like...la-de-da, no worries. The GT3 you gotta go oh...approach this intersection slow, then at an angle...I mean many of you know this. I also have a 991.1 GTS and it sits lower than the 997 GTS.

As an all-rounder the 997 GTS is fab. Wish I could have kept it too, but could not.
Thanks for the perspective. Yes, the ride height requires an extra bit of awareness! I'll pay attention to the 997.2 GTS market and see if it makes financial sense.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:02 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,345 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by fayraree
... I don’t know if it’s an AWD thing but I hate that slight wobbly feeling on fast, hard cornering. Feels like it’s coming from the rear (no, not old tires or bent rims or bad alignment)
Not sure if it is the same "slightly wobbly feeling" you are experiencing, but I felt the same type of thing in my stock 997 GTS with PASM suspension, RWD and OEM RS Spyder centerline wheels.

I drive roads that allow "hard, fast cornering" with the SPORT button ON (enhanced throttle sensitivity, tweaked PASM response*, increased PSM activation threshold), the "Shock" button ON (firm) and the PSE button ON (loud).

From just before apex, through it, and into the corner exit under smooth acceleration...the rear end would occaisionally "wobble". It felt to me like a sidewall flex on the outside rear tire. I changed out the OEM Bridgestone RE-050 rubber for Michelin PSS in the exact size on the same wheels. No help.

By dumb luck, I discovered that driving the same corner, at the same speed with PSE set to OFF (light on switch ON) removed that annoying (and truth be told, unnerving) sensation. Poof! No more instability at cornering limits. By "instabiilty", I mean "a wiggle". The rear never unintentionally "stepped out" mid corner, but it felt like something was definitely wrong. I speculated that I was activating the PSE, even with SPORT selected, which was applying brakes to an individual tire, or tires, to prevent incipient oversteer. Problem is, that was right where I wanted to be!

Once or twice, the PSE actually cut the throttle as I was rolling it on post-apex. That's what clued me in to research the PSE and see if it might be the culprit. For me, it was. Now I drive hard twisty mountain roads with the PSE set to OFF (light illuminated, the warning on instrument panel ignored). It's always there in the background though, awaiting ABS activation of BOTH front wheels, or sensing a yaw versus steering angle, that will trip it to respond (Please Save Me!).

Of course, YMMV and having your suspension checked out and/or modified might be warranted.
Just my experience, and might be worth a try before spending $ unnecessarily.

*According to the Porsche AG marketing/press release/owner's manual descriptions of Sport Chrono.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 01-27-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Wayne Smith (01-28-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 09:19 PM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
Not sure if it is the same "slightly wobbly feeling" you are experiencing, but I felt the same type of thing in my stock 997 GTS with PASM suspension, RWD and OEM RS Spyder centerline wheels.

I drive roads that allow "hard, fast cornering" with the SPORT button ON (enhanced throttle sensitivity, tweaked PASM response*, increased PSM activation threshold), the "Shock" button ON (firm) and the PSE button ON (loud).

From just before apex, through it, and into the corner exit under smooth acceleration...the rear end would occaisionally "wobble". It felt to me like a sidewall flex on the outside rear tire. I changed out the OEM Bridgestone RE-050 rubber for Michelin PSS in the exact size on the same wheels. No help.

By dumb luck, I discovered that driving the same corner, at the same speed with PSE set to OFF (light on switch ON) removed that annoying (and truth be told, unnerving) sensation. Poof! No more instability at cornering limits. By "instabiilty", I mean "a wiggle". The rear never unintentionally "stepped out" mid corner, but it felt like something was definitely wrong. I speculated that I was activating the PSE, even with SPORT selected, which was applying brakes to an individual tire, or tires, to prevent incipient oversteer. Problem is, that was right where I wanted to be!

Once or twice, the PSE actually cut the throttle as I was rolling it on post-apex. That's what clued me in to research the PSE and see if it might be the culprit. For me, it was. Now I drive hard twisty mountain roads with the PSE set to OFF (light illuminated, the warning on instrument panel ignored). It's always there in the background though, awaiting ABS activation of BOTH front wheels, or sensing a yaw versus steering angle, that will trip it to respond (Please Save Me!).

Of course, YMMV and having your suspension checked out and/or modified might be warranted.

*According to the Porsche AG marketing/press release/owner's manual descriptions of Sport Chrono.
Every single thing you said above in bold is 100% what I felt. So strange and some people were telling me that is just what the 997.2 personality is like! I was so confused lol. Takes corners like a champ but that feeling was really weird. PPI showed all suspension parts were working fine and I had my mechanic check it out during an oil change and he felt nothing out of the ordinary.

Just to clarify, everywhere you said “PSE”, except for the first time when you said, “loud”, did you actually mean “PSM”? Not clear on what the exhaust sound has to do with stability management. I also got a bit confused by this: “PSE set to OFF (light on switch ON)”. That’s when you disable the first set of PSM nannies, right? Traction control set to off (just the first layer, not fully off I guess).

sorry, this probably belongs in a separate thread or DMs; I might actually reach out to you, Liste! I thought it was an AWD thing but you nailed the sensation (articulated far better than me) but you have RWD. Surprised everyone isn’t feeling the same thing.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:07 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

I'm assuming you mean PSM (Porsche Stability Management) rather than PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust).

This is an interesting discovery.

Edit: Sorry, I see this was addressed while i responded (with a lot of delaying interruptions). I've been blaming my tires and 145K miles OEM struts for handling problems when driving above 80%.

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 01-27-2022 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:32 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,345 Likes on 612 Posts

You are both correct.
I confused PSE with PSM when typing the post.
Then my brain followed the PSE typo with "loud" instead of "OFF" by default, I suppose.
(I actually do drive with PSE in loud on all remote roads... with a Sharkwerks X-pipe, it is glorious.)

So, to clarify, I drive with PSM in the OFF position (button LED illuminated) when pushing it.

You, fayraree, are the only person who has responded with some corroboration, and I have posted this experience more than a few times on different RL 997 threads.

A side note: I have since changed my wheel/tire set up to 997 GT2RS sizes* and have not felt that "wiggle" while driving hard with the PSM switch in the ON (or OFF, for that matter) position. Not sure why, but there seems to be more prevention of over-steer and the subsequent PSE activation to counteract it. I really feel that the additional contact patch has improved traction, mid-corner grip and braking. I know, sounds miraculous. WTF?

Maybe just the placebo affect, but who really cares?
If I was on a track, lap numbers would verify or refute.
But I "free ski" in my car, rather than "run gates"...and will never know.
Just glad to banish the "wiggle" from my GTS handling.
I now drive a bit faster, with additional confidence in my suspension

All this, of course, is based on my seat of the pants impressions, so take it with the requisite pound of salt.

* OZ Ultralegerra centerlines in 9 X 19 and 12 X 19 with Michelin PS4S in 245/35 and 325/30

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 01-28-2022 at 06:44 AM.
Wayne Smith (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 12:54 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Everything you wrote makes more sense. I wasn't tracking when you were referring to PSE! I mostly drive with PSM on and occasionally I have felt the slight "unsettled" feeling in hard cornering. I just assumed it was the LSD kicking in so didn't pay any attention. It's not enough to pucker but just enough to notice something is going on in the rear. Totally makes sense. Next time I am out, I will do some extensive testing with PSM off. BTW, I have my PSE unplugged in the engine bay at all times. The connector is on the right side of the airbox. Loud and proud!

You are both correct.
I confused PSE with PSM when typing the post.
Then my brain followed the PSE typo with "loud" instead of "OFF" by default, I suppose.
(I actually do drive with PSE in loud on all remote roads... with a Sharkwerks X-pipe, it is glorious.)

So, to clarify, I drive with PSM in the OFF position (button LED illuminated) when pushing it.

You, fayraree, are the only person who has responded with some corroboration, and I have posted this experience more than a few times on different RL 997 threads.

A side note: I have since changed my wheel/tire set up to 997 GT2RS sizes* and have not felt that "wiggle" while driving hard with the PSM switch in the ON (or OFF, for that matter) position. Not sure why, but there seems to be more prevention of over-steer and the subsequent PSE activation to counteract it. I really feel that the additional contact patch has improved traction, mid-corner grip and braking. I know, sounds miraculous. WTF?

Maybe just the placebo affect, but who really cares?
If I was on a track, lap numbers would verify or refute.
But I "free ski" in my car, rather than "run gates"...and will never know.
Just glad to banish the "wiggle" from my GTS handling.
I now drive a bit faster, with additional confidence in my suspension

All this, of course, is based on my seat of the pants impressions, so take it with the requisite pound of salt.

* OZ Ultralegerra centerlines in 9 X 19 and 12 X 19 with Michelin PS4S in 245/35 and 325/30
Old 01-28-2022, 03:39 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 176 Posts

My wife's looking at GTS's. Question, do they all come standard with PSE and PASM? All the ones I've seen, have both the shock absorber and PSE buttons on the center console but no mention of PASM or PSE on the option list. Thanks

Quick Reply: GTS Cars For Sale On The Web