Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 03:14 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
This mod is on top of the original PCM. You will not lose any standard features. I have run this mod for about a year now and love it. It is a little not involved, but not bad.
Thank you. I will place my order once I get the car. I have seen some install videos and isn't as simple as plugging something in but not too bad (I come from an electronics engineering background).
Old 10-14-2021, 08:39 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

So far flawless, a definite get if you desire a CarPlay/android update.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:44 PM
eaks
Racer

Actually found a unit online from another supplier. Hopefully it all works out but at the price I found it was worth it for me. Are the updates done automatically through wifi or do they need to be pushed via usb/ect?

Im losing it. Pick the car up tomorrow and dont think ill sleep much tonight. Already buying aftermarket parts for it. Bought a bluetooth receiver for the 13 hour drive home and to use till I get this installed.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:00 AM
davismt55
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this post is a year old but I just bought a 2011 911 GTS with Bose and found this kit for sale here in US by thecarplayer.com. Anyone try this or something
similar that’s available locally?
https://thecarplayer.com/products/ap...orsche-pcm-3-0
Old 12-27-2021, 10:38 PM
eaks
Racer

Got this installed tonight. Have a few questions.

Does anyone have the latest update files?

How is the system suppose to work when first turned on (does it boot to normal pcm system then in a few seconds/minutes swap back to android auto/car play)?
How do you guys swap between android auto and pcm?

It may be I am just getting used to it but I thought it took about 3-5 minutes first start up for the android auto to start up..

I am going to attempt to screw around with the backup camera tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2021, 05:26 AM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

If it is the NM unit it boots instantly, I have the start up splash screen replaced to look identical to the PCM Porsche logo. Nick can send you the latest software however they do come shipped with the latest version.

Just like the PCM it boots to the last screen on start up, I.e. straight to the CarPlay screen if that’s where you left it last. If you want to swap between PCM and the CarPlay long press the info button, any function button will take you back to PCM.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:46 AM
eaks
Racer

Does the long press reboot the system? When I long press info it appears to reboot. I did not order from nm but believe the hardware is the same. Hoping someone can provide me with the latest software.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:49 AM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by eaks
Does the long press reboot the system? When I long press info it appears to reboot. I did not order from nm but believe the hardware is the same. Hoping someone can provide me with the latest software.

No it just toggles between the PCM and external box, everything remains the same just moves to the background. Similar to how the PCM would work if you switched between CD and radio. I think you may have a faulty box if it’s forcing a reset. Best to return / exchange it.

I’ve seen two other similar suppliers and they all work slightly differently for example a cheaper version takes the “joy” out of it as it completely disables the PCM navigation which with 2018 maps here in the U.K. is still useful when a mobile signal is weak.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:23 PM
eaks
Racer

How long do you hold the info button? I need to hold for about 7s and the pcm reboots I can hear it try and spin up the cd portion..

I have contacted the company I purchased from and hoping they will help.. I ordered it over 2 months ago but just got around to installing as I was away for work and then the car spent a month getting paint correction and full 3m xpel.

Dip switches I have 3 on and all others off (have tried 8 both off and on.. My understanding is this is only on if you have factory backup camera).

After screwing around with it today I cannot get it to load the android auto part at all (my phone does connect to android auto just cannot get the display working). I was worried maybe I plugged the cable that connects to the box upside down but yesterday I did have the screen on for a bit (it was not setup for android auto so I changed settings and then android auto was working).. Now I cannot get the display functioning.

Edit: looks like on my unit I swap back and forth by holding the nav button.. Works fine now.. I noticed when swapping back and forth it continues to play the music from pcm tho.. I played something from android auto and it wouldn't play (continued to play radio). Also having some issues with the backup camera but am going to grab my multimeter and go out to do more testing.

Last edited by eaks; 12-28-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:41 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by davismt55
I know this post is a year old but I just bought a 2011 911 GTS with Bose and found this kit for sale here in US by thecarplayer.com. Anyone try this or something
similar that’s available locally?
https://thecarplayer.com/products/ap...orsche-pcm-3-0
I am pretty sure they are all the same kit just rebranded. I went with nm automotive for the customer service.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:05 PM
eaks
Racer

Joyauto has actually seemed to have pretty good support as well.. Have been using WhatsApp to communicated with them and got a few things worked out already. Just need to figure out the backup camera and then clean up the installing and wiring
Old 12-29-2021, 04:10 PM
eaks
Racer

Still waiting to hear back from joyauto in relation to the wiring for a pcm 3.0 with manual transmission. I have tried a few things wiring the camera directly to the battery and unable to get the reverse camera to pop up. I've verified the settings and it seems like it should work. Joyauto is trying to get me some answers but are not super familiar with the pcm 3.0 and 6 speed. With the pdk it automatically knows reverse and switches to the camera. I have an orange and a red wire off the module power harness that say rear camera 12v and rear camera c.. I've tried running 12v to these wires and still nothing. Figured I'd check with you guys while I wait for an answer from joyauto.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2021, 05:03 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by eaks
Still waiting to hear back from joyauto in relation to the wiring for a pcm 3.0 with manual transmission. I have tried a few things wiring the camera directly to the battery and unable to get the reverse camera to pop up. I've verified the settings and it seems like it should work. Joyauto is trying to get me some answers but are not super familiar with the pcm 3.0 and 6 speed. With the pdk it automatically knows reverse and switches to the camera. I have an orange and a red wire off the module power harness that say rear camera 12v and rear camera c.. I've tried running 12v to these wires and still nothing. Figured I'd check with you guys while I wait for an answer from joyauto.

Thanks
Oddly enough it appears there are several different CANBus data configurations on our cars based upon transmission type and possibly other things. There are also filters on the CANBus to disable units that are having comm problems and that can create problems with the unit seeing reverse.

The easy solution is to take the signal off the reversing lights, but without the CANBus you lose the steering angle and can't include the path lines on the display.

Not all 997s can operate from the same system. 9xx spent a lot of time figuring this stuff out.

My reverse camera was intermittent and it took some time to solve it. Anthony spent time evaluating my CANBus and making hardware changes at the direction of the factory. This led to a box replacement (hardware changes were required) with software updates. All is fine now, including the steering lines.

I'm not sure if others have solutions or not, but my suspicion is that Joy may be dealing with these things still. You may need to be patient.

Please realize I am making several assumptions about Joy here and the above could be inaccurate. Just an attempt to present possible scenarios based upon personal experience.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:55 PM
JVinPortland
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

I have the NM Automotive kit and a 6-sp manual. I had a bear of a time getting the rear camera to work. One of a couple of bone-headed moves I made was working/testing with the driver's door open. Turns out, doors need to be closed for it to work (in my case, anyway). YMMV, good luck!
Old 12-29-2021, 06:38 PM
eaks
Racer

If the issue is my driver door being open (I'm sure it has been for all my testing) I am going to lose it haha. Going to run back out and try again. So with the 6 speed did you need any sensor/trigger wire hooked up to the harness? My camera cable had a wire on it so I hooked this up to the reverse lights as well just to have because fishing that wire was a real pain in the @$$.

Last edited by eaks; 12-30-2021 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto