PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 01:53 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2010
The CarPlay and camera systems offered by 9XX is not the same as others.

It is seamlessly integrated together with the OEM PCM system (so you have the option easily to revert back and forth by a simple push of the info button).

9XX products are designed for a specific size (for custom installation and placement) with a custom built electronic circuit board to provide lower heat, lower weight, and custom coding by 9XX, based on your specific make/model/options (by VIN) to work properly and receive needed access/location of canbus info (which apparently varies) to provide steering info to the guides on the camera. The camera is automatically activated when placing the car in reverse. The system is also designed to provides improved sound through the Bose system and comes with its own WiFi antenna (that works together with your phone if a stronger signal is required) and comes with its own microphone for CarPlay voice activation.

Finally, the rear bumper is removed to provide PROFESSIONAL installation, so when the rear bumper is removed for future maintenance/ service, the wires for the camera (which are made to OEM spec) remain in tact and are easily disconnected via an umbilical that is co-located with the rear license plate light umbilical.
Sounds like the NM and other systems. My guess is they are all the same just with different lipstick, but same underlying software.

Not saying 9XX doesn’t provide a great service, just that these are rebranded units.
The following 3 users liked this post by kellen:
davcbr (03-04-2022), irnnr (03-04-2022), myw (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 02:43 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
Sounds like the NM and other systems. My guess is they are all the same just with different lipstick, but same underlying software.
...a reminder of a song from the Doobie Brothers..."what a fool believes" LOL!!!
Old 03-04-2022, 04:00 PM
davcbr
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE=Greg2010;18010250]Les systèmes CarPlay et caméra proposés par 9XX ne sont pas les mêmes que les autres.

Il est parfaitement intégré au système OEM PCM (vous avez donc la possibilité de revenir facilement en arrière en appuyant simplement sur le bouton d'information).

Les produits 9XX sont conçus pour une taille spécifique (pour une installation et un placement personnalisés) avec une carte de circuit électronique sur mesure pour fournir une chaleur inférieure, un poids inférieur et un codage personnalisé par 9XX, en fonction de votre marque/modèle/options spécifiques (par VIN) pour fonctionnent correctement et reçoivent l'accès/l'emplacement nécessaire des informations canbus (qui varient apparemment) pour fournir des informations de direction aux guides sur la caméra. La caméra est automatiquement activée lorsque vous placez la voiture en marche arrière. Le système est également conçu pour fournir un son amélioré via le système Bose et est livré avec sa propre antenne WiFi (qui fonctionne avec votre téléphone si un signal plus fort est requis) et est livré avec son propre microphone pour l'activation vocale CarPlay.

Enfin, le pare-chocs arrière est retiré pour fournir une installation PROFESSIONNELLE, donc lorsque le pare-chocs arrière est retiré pour un entretien/service futur, les fils de la caméra (qui sont fabriqués selon les spécifications OEM) restent intacts et sont facilement déconnectés via un ombilical qui est co-localisé avec l'ombilical de l'éclairage de la plaque d'immatriculation arrière.[/QUOTE
]

Hello,

why give the impression that others are not the same?

In general all these products come from the same supplier and are just rebadged, however the best one is the one based on Unichip.

9xx is probably a unichip, identical to the NM
The following users liked this post:
irnnr (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 04:02 PM
davcbr
Instructor

[QUOTE=David Berry;18010144]9XX a également ajouté quelques fonctionnalités bonus à mon travail.
1 : il a fait quelque chose à mon système de son qui améliore le son.
2 : le porte-clés ouvre et ferme maintenant les vitres avant !
Lors du verrouillage, tenez le porte-clés et regardez les vitres avant se fermer.
Lors du déverrouillage, maintenez la télécommande et les fenêtres ouvertes.
si gentil![/QUOTE
]

I don't understand, all 997's do this, you can even open the convertible top with the key
Old 03-04-2022, 05:04 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2010
...a reminder of a song from the Doobie Brothers..."what a fool believes" LOL!!!
So what is different about the 9XX vs the NM? Everything you listed the NM unit does having installed mine. Has an antenna, has its own mic, auto engages camera with reverse guides when put in reverse. Instead of resorting to silly comments why not tell me what else makes it different?

Everything I have read and seen make it seem like they are nearly the same unit, likely rebadged. 9XX charges around $1500 his, including the install, depending on if you want a rear camera (going off of memory, but its north of $1000). Then NM is around $550.

None of this is meant as a disrespect to 9XX. Just would like to know what makes his different. I went down both roads and went with NM because I feel comfortable installing the camera and the CarPlay unit.

These boards are about sharing information. Have a good day.
irnnr (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 05:21 PM
davcbr
Instructor

no difference, just that 9xx resells the rebadged products as many do.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:10 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

i was thinking the exact same thing. how is this different the the joyAuto board for 997.2 - all these decks/boards/modules are simply android based systems (with a variation in UI skins + locked functions).

my daily lexus has the same type of 997.2 system where it integrates fully + seamlessly using the oem pcm hardware. it is simple + easy to switch back and forth (usually via cd input protocol or something similar). this oem retrofit option is available for many, many decade+ old cars that have a decent SD resolution + full color screen. this is the exact same method all android based modules are retroFitting carplay/AA into all more recent cars today that dont have carplay/AA installed.

there is no denying that this is one of the better if not the best solutions for 997.2 (or any decade old car with a decent oem touch screen).

but with regards to reverse cameras, are supposed to be triggered via the canbus or directly from the tail light signal. this is nothing new.

all aftermarket decks including the 996/997 pccm+ require another new mic added, as well as a new gps puck. and they all have wifi antennas as well - many support usb wifi dongle.

as for pro installation, i actually like the idea of plugging into license plate area... when i get some work done on my car and have the rear bumper removed i will figure out something similar. but the internal reverse cable thru the rear taillight has been the main method of routing the reverse camera for a decade+ now.

Originally Posted by kellen
So what is different about the 9XX vs the NM? Everything you listed the NM unit does having installed mine. Has an antenna, has its own mic, auto engages camera with reverse guides when put in reverse. Instead of resorting to silly comments why not tell me what else makes it different?

Everything I have read and seen make it seem like they are nearly the same unit, likely rebadged. 9XX charges around $1500 his, including the install, depending on if you want a rear camera (going off of memory, but its north of $1000). Then NM is around $550.

None of this is meant as a disrespect to 9XX. Just would like to know what makes his different. I went down both roads and went with NM because I feel comfortable installing the camera and the CarPlay unit.

These boards are about sharing information. Have a good day.

Last edited by myw; 03-04-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:30 PM
davcbr
Instructor

@myw
Beware that the joyauto is not the same, it does not take into account the canbus, and is more complex to install (connected a wire on the fuse box for example)
myw (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 06:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by davcbr
@myw
Beware that the joyauto is not the same, it does not take into account the canbus, and is more complex to install (connected a wire on the fuse box for example)
there is no canbus adapter that can be plugged in? i would assume its an android 8/9/10 based system like the rest of them no?
Old 03-04-2022, 07:00 PM
AmericanSuccess
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

There are differences, I watched the installation video for joyeauto unit and when I installed the NM Automotive unit it wasn't the same.

The unit must read off the canbus because it knows when the car is put into reverse.

I'm sure the overall result with all these is the same though.
irnnr (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 08:35 PM
davcbr
Instructor

[QUOTE=myw;18011287]il n'y a pas d'adaptateur canbus qui puisse être branché ? Je suppose que c'est un système basé sur Android 8/9/10 comme les autres non ?[/QUOTE
]

Joyauto can't read the canbus, it's the least noble version, The camera must also be connected to the reverse wire
Old 03-05-2022, 06:54 AM
David Berry
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

[QUOTE=davcbr;18010945]
Originally Posted by David Berry
9XX a également ajouté quelques fonctionnalités bonus à mon travail.
1 : il a fait quelque chose à mon système de son qui améliore le son.
2 : le porte-clés ouvre et ferme maintenant les vitres avant !
Lors du verrouillage, tenez le porte-clés et regardez les vitres avant se fermer.
Lors du déverrouillage, maintenez la télécommande et les fenêtres ouvertes.
si gentil![/QUOTE
]

I don't understand, all 997's do this, you can even open the convertible top with the key

With the add on SmartTop it does. Not with my factory top. I am not referring to the cab top,
I am referring to the front windows of the cab and coupe.
As far as I know, the keyfob never opened/closed the windows. Mine never did
on the three 911s I have owned.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:44 AM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

The one thing I do like about the NM unit is my splash screen on start up is the same as the PCM 3 Porsche logo and also the “exit” tab on CarPlay which takes you to settings is also the Porsche logo.

They are both customised units from Unichip, Joyauto is a different bag altogether.

Its a free market, do your research and buy the kit that you think is best for you. Don’t forget it’s just ancillary to your 911.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:40 PM
davcbr
Instructor

[QUOTE=David Berry;18011917]
Originally Posted by davcbr

With the add on SmartTop it does. Not with my factory top. I am not referring to the cab top,
I am referring to the front windows of the cab and coupe.
As far as I know, the keyfob never opened/closed the windows. Mine never did
on the three 911s I have owned.
My 997 Turbo did it, my 997.2 does it too, probably because it is a European model

The smartopp I put on the 991.2 is great
Old 03-06-2022, 04:28 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by whacko77uk
The one thing I do like about the NM unit is my splash screen on start up is the same as the PCM 3 Porsche logo and also the “exit” tab on CarPlay which takes you to settings is also the Porsche logo.
Hm, my splash screen is an NM Auto logo. Interesting.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto