PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 01:23 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 366 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
Do you have a link to the camera you used? All I am finding are ones that definitely do not look OEM. My order will ship out this Wednesday and I will document the whole thing so people can see.
Are you installing on your own? Doesn't seem that difficult and instructions look very precise. Likely will order when bored...
Old 12-28-2020, 01:49 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

That is the exact type of small camera I want. Something that looks natural. My kit is on order and will ship on Wednesday.

Yep I will be doing the install, but I wanted to get the camera installed during the break as that seems like it will take more time than the PCM. I will do a detailed write up when done so others can follow.
The following 3 users liked this post by doclouie:
ATX_Native (12-28-2020), juicedhd (04-23-2021), VT Blue (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 12:21 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 366 Likes on 243 Posts

That is the exact type of small camera I want. Something that looks natural. My kit is on order and will ship on Wednesday.

Yep I will be doing the install, but I wanted to get the camera installed during the break as that seems like it will take more time than the PCM. I will do a detailed write up when done so others can follow.
Please do. I’ll likely follow in your footsteps.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:23 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 421 Posts

Cant wait to see it and see the speed at which it goes through menus.

Do you have Android or iOS?

Also.. Howdy!
Old 12-30-2020, 01:41 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

I am running IOS rather than Android. I found a small camera that will work perfect from the back of the car that I will be installing today. It completely blends in and looks OEM. Then it will be waiting for the unit to ship from across the pond which I am sure will take a few weeks.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:47 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

@doclouie will love to hear how you route your camera and the camera you end up with.

Have to say that I tip my hat to @whacko77uk's install. Very nicely done.

Bob
The following users liked this post:
whacko77uk (12-31-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 08:55 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

The camera install actually was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Here is the final installation of the camera.

I bought this camera from Amazon:

NATIKA Backup/Front View Camera,IP69K Waterproof Great Night Vision HD and Super Wide Angle Metal OEM Style Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Cars Pickup Trucks SUVs RVs Vans (Black)
Amazon Amazon
The following 4 users liked this post by doclouie:
Darkboyz68 (11-18-2022), myw (07-27-2021), VT Blue (12-30-2020), whacko77uk (12-31-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 09:16 PM
Meshari
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes! Finally! I can now do the swap from 2.1 to 3.0

Regarding the rear cameras, I saw a few kits that sell the license(number) plate number without the cameras, you can use those with a High Quality camera for a better installation. I'd rather not drill anything in my rear bumper.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:32 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Meshari
Yes! Finally! I can now do the swap from 2.1 to 3.0

Regarding the rear cameras, I saw a few kits that sell the license(number) plate number without the cameras, you can use those with a High Quality camera for a better installation. I'd rather not drill anything in my rear bumper.
Yes you can use those license plate frame cameras and you can use the plug on the back side of the plate so you do not need to drill a hole through your bumper, but be aware that some of those license plate frame cameras are illegal. Here in Texas no part of the word TEXAS at the top of the plate can be covered. I have been pulled over for that twice.

The one I installed needed a 5/16” hole up underneath so I did not worry about the hole. I already have that same camera on another car and it works well. I just wanted it out of the way.
The following users liked this post:
gdclnfn (05-16-2023)
Old 12-30-2020, 10:06 PM
Meshari
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can use those license plate frame cameras and you can use the plug on the back side of the plate so you do not need to drill a hole through your bumper, but be aware that some of those license plate frame cameras are illegal. Here in Texas no part of the word TEXAS at the top of the plate can be covered. I have been pulled over for that twice.

The one I installed needed a 5/16” hole up underneath so I did not worry about the hole. I already have that same camera on another car and it works well. I just wanted it out of the way.
Alternatively, you can use the ones for the license plate lights, those can also come without cameras where you can supply yours. I yet to see ones without LEDs built it in though. I'm trying to keep my 07 Turbo period correct from the outside at least since LEDs with halogen tail light are not nice to look at.

I'm not sure when porsche is going to give us the classic treatment, maybe in a few months?
Old 12-30-2020, 10:29 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Meshari
Alternatively, you can use the ones for the license plate lights, those can also come without cameras where you can supply yours. I yet to see ones without LEDs built it in though. I'm trying to keep my 07 Turbo period correct from the outside at least since LEDs with halogen tail light are not nice to look at.

I'm not sure when porsche is going to give us the classic treatment, maybe in a few months?
I am doubtful that Porsche will come out with the Classic radios for our 997’s anytime soon. I don’t want to lose the standard PCM, but would like some electronic upgrades.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:04 PM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
Cant wait to see it and see the speed at which it goes through menus.

Do you have Android or iOS?

Also.. Howdy!
As this is effectively a separate device just sharing the PCM screen, it’s as fast as an iPhone using IOS14. I have not noticed any lag.

The touch screen however is a different story, it’s slow like any touch screen from 10 years ago. You have to press down and then swipe, it takes some getting used to. The buttons though make it easy enough to navigate and having Siri makes it that much more user friendly.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:35 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

For those who are interested these kits are made by Unichip in China - https://www.unichip-tec.com/porsche_...r_carplay.html
MHAuto in the UK is just putting their sticker on the box :-)

Might be possible to get a better price by going direct to the manufacturer

I would guess (?) that the Joyaudio units are probably manufactured by the same outfit based on the pictures and similarities in whats in the box...
Old 12-31-2020, 05:02 PM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
For those who are interested these kits are made by Unichip in China - https://www.unichip-tec.com/porsche_...r_carplay.html
MHAuto in the UK is just putting their sticker on the box :-)

Might be possible to get a better price by going direct to the manufacturer

I would guess (?) that the Joyaudio units are probably manufactured by the same outfit based on the pictures and similarities in whats in the box...
You maybe correct that these are manufactured by Unichip however what’s invaluable to me is the support, speaking to someone in a language we both understand in my home country and the warranty.

As an example when the kit was installed accidentally one of the factory settings were altered and all of the icons on screen were supersized, called NM on FaceTime he could not quite understand how it happened however he went away recreated the issue and then came back with a resolution to the issue in about 3 hours.

Joy Auto kits are completely different, the interface is very basic where as this is very OEM in terms of look and feel. There are a number of differences with the kit also but that’s a whole other story.

The kits directly from Unichip are $599 + shipping and tax.

There is also Dutch company selling them but they only sell thorough their retail network.

It would be good for someone to go down the Unichip route and compare.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:07 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by whacko77uk
You maybe correct that these are manufactured by Unichip however what’s invaluable to me is the support, speaking to someone in a language we both understand in my home country and the warranty.

As an example when the kit was installed accidentally one of the factory settings were altered and all of the icons on screen were supersized, called NM on FaceTime he could not quite understand how it happened however he went away recreated the issue and then came back with a resolution to the issue in about 3 hours.

Joy Auto kits are completely different, the interface is very basic where as this is very OEM in terms of look and feel. There are a number of differences with the kit also but that’s a whole other story.

The kits directly from Unichip are $599 + shipping and tax.

There is also Dutch company selling them but they only sell thorough their retail network.

It would be good for someone to go down the Unichip route and compare.
I agree the support is the important part. Saving a few dollars, while nice, is not my highest priority.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto