Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 05:17 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

im talking specfically about steering wheel angle sensor output to be inputted into an aftermarket canbus adapter as input into an android based deck. whether it be a full android based pcm replacement or the joyauto/nm android board mounted in the 997.2 pcm 3.0 - they are essentially all running the same tech + software. in my case, im not sure if it's my aftermarket canBus adapter needing an upgrade of sorts or not, or if there is a difference in this area between 997.1/997.2 canbus output... or if it has to do with the a 997.1 vs 997.2 steering wheel module itself (nlikely since my steering wheel adapter is that of a .2). my android pcm supports it the input either way, as they all do.

the license plate holder light type of rear camera functions fine, but is larger + bulkier to the point that i dont feel it looks factory. the best looking (oem - almost invisible) type or rear cam is the center ones that you have to drill into the centre of the license plate area. i'm actually going to swap my former to the latter.

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
These new units require the .2 PCM. Someone wrote a while back that they had an adaptor harness to allow a .2 PCM to be installed in a .1 car. I suspect there are some .2 PCMs gathering dust on people's shelves. But harness plus PCM plus upgrade unit could be pricey.

Whether the steering angle is available on the .1 cars or not is beyond my pay grade. Do you know for sure this is not available on your cars? Or is the back up camera interface you're using not equipped to read it?

Definitely removing the rear bumper is not required to install the camera. But Anthony feels he can better center and align the camera with the bumper off, so this is how he does it. I wonder how the camera that takes the place of the license plate light aligns. It seems like that would be a good solution.

Last edited by myw; 03-03-2022 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:40 PM
davcbr
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
excellent travail. Je me demande si c'est une chose 997.2 où ces unités canbus android de rechange peuvent envoyer les informations d'angle de volant au pcm. le mien, et pour la voiture de mes frères (997.1) - ils ne peuvent pas. ou peut-être que c'est notre adaptateur canBus,

la caméra arrière peut être acheminée + installée sans retirer le pare-chocs. mais de toute façon, excellent travail + félicitations. avoir un pcm moderne + une caméra arrière fait BEAUCOUP pour le 997.
Hello, mine uses the canbus indeed, and I see the angle of the wheels
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 05:53 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by davcbr
Hello, mine uses the canbus indeed, and I see the angle of the wheels
thank you - are you running a joyAuto/nM automotive board in your oem pcm3.0? if so I have a few more questions

- would you have oem multiFunction steering wheel? if so do ALL the buttons + ***** work (all bottons/***** on both sides of the wheel)?
- does the RDS output from your pcm push phone call / song playing name information to your main instrument cluster?

i just quickly chatted with a 997.2 friend who runs the same pcm as I do - his 997.2 also doesn't have the parking lines work. both of us also have multifunction oem steering wheels set correctly, but a few buttons on the right side of the steering wheel do not work (the left ones all do).

my best guess, is that our aftermarket canbus adapter form 2+ years ago is what is causing the issue (perhaps an earlier generation one later replaced with a newer more completely coded-one).

Last edited by myw; 03-03-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:57 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

9XX backup camera has two sets of lines. One straight backward,
second in red curved lines that follow the steering wheel.
very nice!
Old 03-03-2022, 06:11 PM
davcbr
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
thank you - are you running a joyAuto/nM automotive board in your oem pcm3.0? if so I have a few more questions

- would you have oem multiFunction steering wheel? if so do ALL the buttons + ***** work (all bottons/***** on both sides of the wheel)?
- does the RDS output from your pcm push phone call / song playing name information to your main instrument cluster?

i just quickly chatted with a 997.2 friend who runs the same pcm as I do - his 997.2 also doesn't have the parking lines work. both of us also have multifunction oem steering wheels set correctly, but a few buttons on the right side of the steering wheel do not work (the left ones all do).

my best guess, is that our aftermarket canbus adapter form 2+ years ago is what is causing the issue (perhaps an earlier generation one later replaced with a newer more completely coded-one).
I have the NM, and the buttons work except for moving on to the next song
Old 03-03-2022, 06:13 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by davcbr
I have the NM, and the buttons work except for moving on to the next song
what about your music output - does the song name + info get pushed to the instrument cluster?
Old 03-03-2022, 06:18 PM
AmericanSuccess
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
what about your music output - does the song name + info get pushed to the instrument cluster?
It doesn't on mine but i didn't know that was possible?
Old 03-03-2022, 06:27 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AmericanSuccess
all the android decks support this , as it is a generic feature.

the issue is that the canbus adapter for the brand/model specific car may / may not be coded properly to ensure the information gets passed correctly back and forth to the proper components.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:29 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 366 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanSuccess
It would show info depending on what you were listening to.

The NM and others don’t show info as they use the aux input. So it just shows aux.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:32 PM
AmericanSuccess
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen

The NM and others don’t show info as they use the aux input. So it just shows aux.
Yes it just says aux on that little screen. I always leave it with my range to be honest and never change it.

On my other car with a digital drivers display I have the music there but that's a completely different ball game to the little old screen on the 997.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:44 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

ugh - that’s right i forgot about this

Originally Posted by kellen

Old 03-04-2022, 09:34 AM
Crowndog1

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Default That and hint

Originally Posted by whacko77uk
This system needs an aux input, if you don’t have one it can be retrofitted but needs to be coded by an OPC.
I have Nick’s system and installed it myself. It comes with a USB aux input cable which I routed between the pcm console and glove box.
I would also recommend using the car’s own antenna as the one that comes with the kit is mounted under the hood which limits reception.

Last edited by Crowndog1; 03-04-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:40 AM
David Berry
Racer

Originally Posted by David Berry
9XX backup camera has two sets of lines. One straight backward,
second in red curved lines that follow the steering wheel.
very nice!
9XX also added a couple of bonus features with my job.
1: he did something to my sound system that improves the sound.
2: keyfob now opens and closes front windows!
When locking, hold keyfob and watch front windows close.
When unlocking, hold keyfob and windows open.
so nice!
Spike Speakus (03-07-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 10:43 AM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

The CarPlay and camera systems offered by 9XX is not the same as others.

It is seamlessly integrated together with the OEM PCM system (so you have the option easily to revert back and forth by a simple push of the info button).

9XX products are designed for a specific size (for custom installation and placement) with a custom built electronic circuit board to provide lower heat, lower weight, and custom coding by 9XX, based on your specific make/model/options (by VIN) to work properly and receive needed access/location of canbus info (which apparently varies) to provide steering info to the guides on the camera. The camera is automatically activated when placing the car in reverse. The system is also designed to provides improved sound through the Bose system and comes with its own WiFi antenna (that works together with your phone if a stronger signal is required) and comes with its own microphone for CarPlay voice activation.

Finally, the rear bumper is removed to provide PROFESSIONAL installation, so when the rear bumper is removed for future maintenance/ service, the wires for the camera (which are made to OEM spec) remain in tact and are easily disconnected via an umbilical that is co-located with the rear license plate light umbilical.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg2010:
Spike Speakus (03-07-2022), Wayne Smith (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 10:55 AM
David Berry
Racer

Yeah, it is a super infotainment and backup camera system with
window open/close features. Loving it!
Wayne Smith (03-04-2022)

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto