Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 03:38 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by irnnr
None of these units use the factory mic. However, what I did was to open the steering wheel column housing - easy three(?) screws from the bottom - and put the unit's mic in the spot of one of the two factory mics. This way the unit's mic is invisible, I didn't want to stick somewhere.
I was also thinking about getting a factory mic on eBay and just wiring it up to the unit instead. I haven't followed through with that yet, but was hoping for better quality and it allows to properly clip into the original position. Buying an extra mic also means not having to cut the factory installed one.
This was my recollection as well; that the aftermarket units required their own mics. That said, I love this idea and am curious how it worked out. How was the sound? My installer hung the little mic out by the top of the windshield and it looks OK but not great. Said he'd move it if I had a better idea of where it should go. this sound like a great place for it!
The following users liked this post:
jle86 (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 04:56 PM
jle86
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cbredesen
This was my recollection as well; that the aftermarket units required their own mics. That said, I love this idea and am curious how it worked out. How was the sound? My installer hung the little mic out by the top of the windshield and it looks OK but not great. Said he'd move it if I had a better idea of where it should go. this sound like a great place for it!
appreciate all the help. This forum is the best. Gonna go into the shop that installed it tomorrow. Nick recommended them initially so I have no doubt they’ll sort it out. I’ll post the solution.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:18 AM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

These units only need their own mic if;
1) you want to use them for calls which is not recommended
2) for Siri which is what I use it for as it’s easier than using the touch screen

With regards to call routing, you need to set up your phone so that calls are directed to Bluetooth when a device ie. PCM is connected, I have a post on the steps to how do this earlier on this thread. If you don’t have the phone setup then it will route calls to the CarPlay kit. Mine works seamlessly in the same way my factory fitted PCM does in my 2019 Panamera.

Last edited by whacko77uk; 03-31-2022 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:22 AM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Set the iPhone up;

Settings
Accessibility
Touch
Call Audio Routing...set it to Bluetooth
Old 04-01-2022, 06:19 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSuccess
You can adjust the Aux input gain so that it matches the radio, CD volume within the PCM3.0 unit. I have a 997.2 from 2011. You can also adjust the output volumes for different things e.g. music, Siri on the NM Automotive menus.
Welp, DIY update failed (couldn't apply due to system restarting, error 3000).

Paid dealer 1hr labor to apply the update I am now at 1.47 on my 2010. However, still no ability to set the AUX volume. I did jack the Bass/Treble as well as the EQ in the NM menu so it's kinda livable but I'm really bummed that I can't get the volume adjustment. Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:21 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

After much review of this thread, opted for the NM Auto AA kit. Was sent out to me very quickly after my order. What I really appreciated was the excellent detailed written installation instructions with pics provided. For a non-technical person like me, easy to follow. I did screw up the board they sent, breaking one of the cable connector fasteners. Nonetheless, I tried to install it. Caused problems. Nick quickly sent me a replacement board (and cable in case that was damaged) at no cost except shipping. With the help of Wayne Smith, reinstalled the board. All good now!! My thanks to Nick (and Wayne) for the excellent support and response!
myw (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 01:01 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
After much review of this thread, opted for the NM Auto AA kit. Was sent out to me very quickly after my order. What I really appreciated was the excellent detailed written installation instructions with pics provided. For a non-technical person like me, easy to follow. I did screw up the board they sent, breaking one of the cable connector fasteners. Nonetheless, I tried to install it. Caused problems. Nick quickly sent me a replacement board (and cable in case that was damaged) at no cost except shipping. With the help of Wayne Smith, reinstalled the board. All good now!! My thanks to Nick (and Wayne) for the excellent support and response!
Being fair here, the connector break falls directly on me!!! The instructions were most impressive. I say this with the background of having written many such documents over the course of more than 40 years.
Darkboyz68 (11-18-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 10:48 PM
David perkar
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone tried to upgrade carplay on PCM 3.1 ?
Old 01-03-2023, 06:25 PM
vicman426
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whacko77uk
If it is the NM unit it boots instantly, I have the start up splash screen replaced to look identical to the PCM Porsche logo. Nick can send you the latest software however they do come shipped with the latest version.

Just like the PCM it boots to the last screen on start up, I.e. straight to the CarPlay screen if that’s where you left it last. If you want to swap between PCM and the CarPlay long press the info button, any function button will take you back to PCM.
I am curious to know how you changed the splash screen logo. Was going to look into it, but if you have already done it, could you share how you did it?

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:43 PM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Mine was the first unit Nick sent out, a few weeks later there was a software update….Nick then sent the update to me on a usb stick, which is when I asked if it could be done and he obliged.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:09 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by vicman426
I am curious to know how you changed the splash screen logo. Was going to look into it, but if you have already done it, could you share how you did it?

Thanks.
ditto
Old 01-09-2023, 12:36 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 222 Posts

I just e-mailed Nick and he sent me instructions on how to add your own boot up picture.
I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post them here, but e-mail him and i'm sure he will respond.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:52 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
I just e-mailed Nick and he sent me instructions on how to add your own boot up picture.
I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post them here, but e-mail him and i'm sure he will respond.
I've bugged him a few times over the years and he's been good to respond. I did not ever work out how to adjust the backup camera guides. Mine are way too narrow and thus misleading. Anyone know the trick to doing that? Would prefer not to email him again if I can avoid it.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:28 PM
vicman426
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Awesome. Thank you for the tip. I emailed Nick and he got to me right away.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:33 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Does anyone have photos of where and how the external module was mounted? I have mine just resting on the tunnel behind the PCM. I found that positioning of this unit has caused some issues with wireless AA dropping out and reconnecting. I find it a lot more frequent since going back to my summer tires (a much firmer ride). I expect there is something with the unit and rattling around that messes with the wifi connection for AA. I was unable to find a way to disable wireless AA to test if I have a similar issue with wired AA (wired AA maybe isn't even possible with this unit)? The unit doesn't lose power it just will drop the AA connection. Once the connection drops it goes to the main screen and if I pick android I just get a black screen and need to re-start. If I go to bluetooth and disconnect my phone then reconnect AA starts working fine. The unit doesn't lose power and backup camera always works.

Anyone have any suggestions or photos of how they mounted their external module?

Thank you

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto