Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 12:03 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 741 Posts

When the 9xx unit was installed on my very early [Aug 2009) 2010 C4S Anthony updated the PCM software. He also set the volumes and all is well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
cbredesen (03-07-2022), Spike Speakus (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 12:42 PM
davcbr
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanSuccess
Avez-vous réglé le gain de l'entrée Aux ?
I will check this, thank you

Last edited by davcbr; 03-07-2022 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:48 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanSuccess
How bizarre! Does it have it in your owners manual? Mine has it listed on page 40 of the PCM manual, press DISC, OPTION, SET DISC / AUX > Volume Adaptation > Volume Aux.
Nope, my AUX info is on page 46 and nothing about "volume adaptation". My PCM version I now learned is 1.41 and I am guessing it doesn't have this feature. I just ordered the update disc from PelicanParts for $0.25 + $3.75 shipping which should in theory take me to v1.47 (maybe?) and I'm hopeful. If you can press INFO and Source on your PCM what version do you have?

Last edited by cbredesen; 03-07-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:27 PM
AmericanSuccess
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cbredesen
Nope, my AUX info is on page 46 and nothing about "volume adaptation". My PCM version I now learned is 1.41 and I am guessing it doesn't have this feature. I just ordered the update disc from PelicanParts for $0.25 + $3.75 shipping which should in theory take me to v1.47 (maybe?) and I'm hopeful. If you can press INFO and Source on your PCM what version do you have?
No idea what version but I'll check and let you know.

Hopefully it will work for you, it'll make a big difference if it does.
The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (03-07-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 07:45 AM
jle86
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whacko77uk
No buttons just say hey Siri and you will see the colourful splash on the screen.

Remember you don’t need to have the mic in a visible position as it is only for Siri, phone is still handled by the PCM.

i know this is more than a year old, but I had my NMAutomotive unit installed for me and they recommended I just use the phone through carplay. I am having lots of issues with people hearing me. If you are using the standard pcm for phone calls are you switching out of carplay whenever you receive a call before answering it?

I have played with the settings (turned mic volume to max in NMautomotive box) but everyone I speak with says they either hear an echo or I sound far away.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Last resort is an aftermarket mic, which I would rather not do as the idea with the NMautomotive was to keep everything looking perfectly stock.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:22 AM
Helios
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jle86
i know this is more than a year old, but I had my NMAutomotive unit installed for me and they recommended I just use the phone through carplay. I am having lots of issues with people hearing me. If you are using the standard pcm for phone calls are you switching out of carplay whenever you receive a call before answering it?

I have played with the settings (turned mic volume to max in NMautomotive box) but everyone I speak with says they either hear an echo or I sound far away.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Last resort is an aftermarket mic, which I would rather not do as the idea with the NMautomotive was to keep everything looking perfectly stock.
I get people telling me they have similar call qualities issues coming from me when I try to use the phone feature within carplay with the attached mic. I do exactly what you said and hold the info button to swap back to PCM before answering calls and people have no issues hearing me now.
jle86 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 09:47 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 143 Posts

If you don't have an aftermarket mic, how are you making calls via CarPlay? I found the PCM BT connection to be a bit lousy but the CarPlay one (with mic near the visor) to be pretty good.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:50 AM
jle86
Track Day

Originally Posted by cbredesen
If you don't have an aftermarket mic, how are you making calls via CarPlay? I found the PCM BT connection to be a bit lousy but the CarPlay one (with mic near the visor) to be pretty good.
the car play is tied into the factory mic. Call quality through the CarPlay is apparently not good. I’d have to test how it is through same mic on the pcm, I didn’t use that much before the CarPlay because sometimes it would connect and sometimes it wouldn’t (so I just used AirPods) also part of the reason I wanted the CarPlay was to assist with phone calls. Unfortunately I have to make a lot of calls in the car, and not a good look when clients can’t hear you (with the top up).
Old 03-29-2022, 11:14 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 554 Likes on 329 Posts

the car play is tied into the factory mic. Call quality through the CarPlay is apparently not good. I’d have to test how it is through same mic on the pcm, I didn’t use that much before the CarPlay because sometimes it would connect and sometimes it wouldn’t (so I just used AirPods) also part of the reason I wanted the CarPlay was to assist with phone calls. Unfortunately I have to make a lot of calls in the car, and not a good look when clients can’t hear you (with the top up).
can the mic gain be turned on via the android menu interface outside of carplay mode. or a carplay menu setting?
Old 03-29-2022, 03:50 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 418 Posts

My NM unit shipped on Thursday and got here to Texas on Monday Morning.

Crazy fast shipping.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:44 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

My NM unit works fine for phone and CarPlay, good luck
Old 03-30-2022, 12:11 PM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

I use the standard pcm mics for phone calls and it works just fine. The kit mic only picks up for Siri. You don’t need to switch screens, it just works. You can also use the mini screen on the tach to make/ control calls. Remember to set your phone up to route calls to Bluetooth as mentioned in the video.

See this link from NM re call set up.

There are other set up videos re sound quality etc on the channel “ Nick Marquis” on Vimeo

It doesn’t matter which PCM you have as all the kits work in the same way.

Last edited by whacko77uk; 03-30-2022 at 12:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by whacko77uk:
David perkar (12-19-2022), jle86 (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 12:55 PM
jle86
Track Day

I use the standard pcm mics for phone calls and it works just fine. The kit mic only picks up for Siri. You don’t need to switch screens, it just works. You can also use the mini screen on the tach to make/ control calls. Remember to set your phone up to route calls to Bluetooth as mentioned in the video.

https://vimeo.com/448271679

There are other set up videos re sound quality etc on the channel “ Nick Marquis” on Vimeo

thanks. I’ll look at this now and play around.
Old 03-30-2022, 01:50 PM
jle86
Track Day

https://vimeo.com/448271679

i played around with it and reconnected the pcm Bluetooth. Tried making some calls and I can hear people but they can’t hear me. Almost like mic was disconnected from pcm. I am going to bring it back to installer tomorrow, because there’s gotta be something wrong with the setup.

I watched all nicks videos and it appears there are some setting options I am missing in controlling the mic. My biggest issue is people saying I’m far away and then hearing an echo. This suggests I’m not using the factory mic, but installer said I am connected to factory mic for CarPlay. Idk.
Old 03-30-2022, 03:18 PM
irnnr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

None of these units use the factory mic. However, what I did was to open the steering wheel column housing - easy three(?) screws from the bottom - and put the unit's mic in the spot of one of the two factory mics. This way the unit's mic is invisible, I didn't want to stick somewhere.
I was also thinking about getting a factory mic on eBay and just wiring it up to the unit instead. I haven't followed through with that yet, but was hoping for better quality and it allows to properly clip into the original position. Buying an extra mic also means not having to cut the factory installed one.
jle86 (03-30-2022)

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto