Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 11:15 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Under glove box for me, easy access, although I’ve never needed it so far.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:57 AM
eaks
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Under glove box for me, easy access, although I’ve never needed it so far.

Thanks for the photo. I didn't think the harness would be long enough to reach there but maybe I will have to reroute the wiring from the PCM and see if this is a better solution. How did you secure the unit in that location (velcro, zip ties, double sided tape)? I think I might try and remount it this weekend and hopefully can fix the dropout issue I am having.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:00 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by eaks
Thanks for the photo. I didn't think the harness would be long enough to reach there but maybe I will have to reroute the wiring from the PCM and see if this is a better solution. How did you secure the unit in that location (velcro, zip ties, double sided tape)? I think I might try and remount it this weekend and hopefully can fix the dropout issue I am having.
Velcro works fine, the harness was long enough thru thru the wall. Couldn’t mount it in lower panel on passengers side, not enough room.
I don’t have any dropout issues.

Last edited by larrytrk; 04-14-2023 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:08 AM
eaks
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the info.. I had a look at it today and went for a good drive for a couple hours and had plenty of drop outs and reconnects.. I got home and noticed the wifi antenna on the back wasn't tight and was quite loose.. I tightened it up and took it out for 20 mins and all was good.. Will monitor it for a while and I'm hoping that was the issue.. If not I will try to relocated where you put yours.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2023, 06:21 PM
sperry
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've reading through this thread trying to figure out the various options for Wireless CarPlay in my 2010 987.2. Seems like there are two or three units, with several re-branded versions of them out there. Can anyone clear this up for me?

There's the Unichip unit, is that sold as NM Automotive?
The 9XX unit, that's its own deal?
Then the JoyeAuto unit that is probably sold under a bunch of other names?

What about the RennKit BTR-3-3.0/BTR-3-3.1: https://rennkit.com/product-info/blu...-retrofit-kit/
Is that a fourth unit, or one of the others rebranded? Possibly a rebranded "Mr 12 Volt" unit: https://www.mr12volt.com/collections.../p2000-pcm30md? It seems unique in that it uses the MOST interface for audio instead of the AUX in. Anyone had experience with that one?

Edit: I know 9XX says explicitly their product is "an exclusive product by 9XX Research, and is not sold as any other brand." but boy does it look an awful lot like the Unichip box...

So, it seems like maybe there's the Unichip units (NM Auto, 9XX) see above images.

The JoyAuto units:

And the Mr 12 Volt units (Rennkit):

But maybe a fourth in the guise of "The Carplayer": https://thecarplayer.com/products/ap...orsche-pcm-3-0, though that may be a JoyeAuto?

I suspect they ALL use the same daughterboard installed inside the PCM unit itself (probably from some Chinese supplier), but the feature sets of the external boxes varies. I do like the Mr12Volt/RennKit use of fiber optic digital for audio, plus the dynamic backup lines (do the other units do that too?)... see the end of this install video:

Last edited by sperry; 05-23-2023 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:10 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 170 Posts

Here’s my take having installed an NM Auto unit in my 997 GT3 and the Mr12Volt Unit in my 997 GTS: money no object? want less hassle? Get the NM Auto version. Nick gives great support, it will work with non-MOST systems, and if you intended to install a backup camera + you have a manual transmission, the NM Auto unit pulls the reverse trigger from the CANBUS which avoids tapping a reverse wire elsewhere. If none of those are requirements, then the Mr 12 Volt unit is a viable option. The Mr 12 Volt unit will pull the reverse trigger from the CANBUS for PDK cars only. You are able to customize the CarPlay “Home” icon and boot-up screen on both units.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:28 AM
sperry
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Body In White
Here’s my take having installed an NM Auto unit in my 997 GT3 and the Mr12Volt Unit in my 997 GTS: money no object? want less hassle? Get the NM Auto version. Nick gives great support, it will work with non-MOST systems, and if you intended to install a backup camera + you have a manual transmission, the NM Auto unit pulls the reverse trigger from the CANBUS which avoids tapping a reverse wire elsewhere. If none of those are requirements, then the Mr 12 Volt unit is a viable option. The Mr 12 Volt unit will pull the reverse trigger from the CANBUS for PDK cars only. You are able to customize the CarPlay “Home” icon and boot-up screen on both units.
Awesome to have a 1st hand comparison!

I’m surprised to hear about the extra reverse line hookup on the 6-speeds for the M12V… I don’t remember seeing that on the install video, but it’s definitely on the hook up diagram.

How does that M12V unit handle switching between the PCM and Carplay? The instructions mention there’s a new “TV” menu item that appears in the PCM… is there also a physical button mapped for it like the Info or Nav button like in the other units?

On the NM unit, is switching over to Aux input a manual step? I’ve got an android screen HU in my X5M that uses Aux input for sound, but it can automatically swap the input to Aux as needed (though it’s not always perfect if your swapping between the OEM screen and Android rapidly). I guess I’m mostly wondering about stuff like hearing notifications while listening to the radio, or taking a call on the PCM while listening to CarPlay (though I suspect that’s handled by the PCM because it can mix the phone and Aux audio as needed).

Does the NM Auto unit have the dynamic backup lines? Can you adjust the angles as needed for camera location? Or is there just one specific spot and one specific camera it’s tuned for?

Finally, I assume the NM Auto works on MOST cars as long as they have the Aux in in the center console, right? You don’t end up needing an additional adapter so you?
Old 05-24-2023, 09:04 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

I could not be happier with my 9XX system, including reverse camera. Anthony's support is nothing short of outstanding, and the unit has been working flawlessly since installation.

Perspective: My 2011 997.2 with 9XX's system boots up far more quickly and reliably to my phone/CarPlay than my 2020 Macan S factory equipped with CarPlay.

Bob
Old 05-24-2023, 09:18 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 776 Posts

Another vote for 9xx. I helped Anthony install mine along with a backup camera. Eventually, I additionally installed a front camera (more of a gimmick, IMHO).

I installed an NM system for a friend along with a backup camera. While similar, I preferred the internal cable kit that came with the 9xx unit.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 03:46 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by sperry
I've reading through this thread trying to figure out the various options for Wireless CarPlay in my 2010 987.2. Seems like there are two or three units, with several re-branded versions of them out there. Can anyone clear this up for me?

There's the Unichip unit, is that sold as NM Automotive?
The 9XX unit, that's its own deal?
Then the JoyeAuto unit that is probably sold under a bunch of other names?

What about the RennKit BTR-3-3.0/BTR-3-3.1: https://rennkit.com/product-info/blu...-retrofit-kit/
Is that a fourth unit, or one of the others rebranded? Possibly a rebranded "Mr 12 Volt" unit: https://www.mr12volt.com/collections.../p2000-pcm30md? It seems unique in that it uses the MOST interface for audio instead of the AUX in. Anyone had experience with that one?

Edit: I know 9XX says explicitly their product is "an exclusive product by 9XX Research, and is not sold as any other brand." but boy does it look an awful lot like the Unichip box...

So, it seems like maybe there's the Unichip units (NM Auto, 9XX) see above images.

The JoyAuto units:

And the Mr 12 Volt units (Rennkit):

But maybe a fourth in the guise of "The Carplayer": https://thecarplayer.com/products/ap...orsche-pcm-3-0, though that may be a JoyeAuto?

I suspect they ALL use the same daughterboard installed inside the PCM unit itself (probably from some Chinese supplier), but the feature sets of the external boxes varies. I do like the Mr12Volt/RennKit use of fiber optic digital for audio, plus the dynamic backup lines (do the other units do that too?)... see the end of this install video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU085XS6tbE
Rennkit is in fact a rebranded Mr12volt kit.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
The following users liked this post:
gdclnfn (06-05-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 04:06 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Body In White
Id like to go over a few points here because this has been said a few times and im not sure why it keeps being repeated.

-Get the NM Auto version. Nick gives great support
  • Mr12Volt has FANTASTIC support. I personally answer phone calls in the USA. Im not saying NM Auto is worse or better. We offer the same support.
- it will work with non-MOST systems
  • So will Mr12Volt. There are plenty of Base pcm 3.0 and 3.1 radios that we work just fine with. The only thing we dont support is CDR versions.
-rear camera install issues
  • The only time you need a trigger wire for Mr12Volt is when in stalling in a 6spd car that NEVER came factory with rear camera. All other variations are triggered just fine, with back up camera lines and all.

There are generally 2 types of systems out in the marketplace. The ones that use Aux and the ones that use MOST. Joyauto/isudar/NM etc are all versions of the same thing. If thats what you want, go on alliexpress. The other option is MOST systems, of which there is only one, Mr12volt (or the Rennkit rebrand).

I highly advise people to seek out FIRST HAND experience with both style systems and not listen to any internet "advisor". Both style systems work but they are not comparable when experienced in person. Menus, speed, audio quality, boot times, etc. I say this as an installer that has installed many of these. There is a reason why I installed it in my own car then became a dealer and now only do the Mr12Volt at my shop. Its a premium product for a premium car.

The following 3 users liked this post by Roman ACS:
gdclnfn (06-19-2023), RennKit-Dave (05-25-2023), Toby Pennycuff (09-07-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 04:25 PM
sperry
Cruisin'

Roman, can you answer the question about a physical button for switching between the PCM and CarPlay on the Mr12Volt units? The install video shows the added "TV" software button in the PCM, but is there a hardware button mapping like the Info or Nav button, held down for 2 secs or whatever to switch between devices?

Also, I assume my 2010 987.2 6-speed Cayman is one of the cars that "never came with a factory rear camera", since I've never heard of a rear camera option for it. So like, there's probably just no CANBUS event for reverse on the bus. Not that I'm terribly concerned about one more wire to the rear of the car, since I'd already have to run the wiring for the camera and there are 4 pin camera extension cables and adapters out there for a clean install that would allow running power, ground, reverse signal, and video signal in one cable. I just went through a lot of this installing a Wolfbox rearview mirror/camera in my pickup.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:26 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 383 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
Id like to go over a few points here because this has been said a few times and im not sure why it keeps being repeated.

• Mr12Volt has FANTASTIC support. I personally answer phone calls in the USA. Im not saying NM Auto is worse or better. We offer the same support.
  • So will Mr12Volt. There are plenty of Base pcm 3.0 and 3.1 radios that we work just fine with. The only thing we dont support is CDR versions.
  • The only time you need a trigger wire for Mr12Volt is when in stalling in a 6spd car that NEVER came factory with rear camera. All other variations are triggered just fine, with back up camera lines and all.

There are generally 2 types of systems out in the marketplace. The ones that use Aux and the ones that use MOST. Joyauto/isudar/NM etc are all versions of the same thing. If thats what you want, go on alliexpress. The other option is MOST systems, of which there is only one, Mr12volt (or the Rennkit rebrand).

I highly advise people to seek out FIRST HAND experience with both style systems and not listen to any internet "advisor". Both style systems work but they are not comparable when experienced in person. Menus, speed, audio quality, boot times, etc. I say this as an installer that has installed many of these. There is a reason why I installed it in my own car then became a dealer and now only do the Mr12Volt at my shop. It’s a premium product for a premium car.
Can you explain the real life difference between a unit that taps the MOST and one that uses aux in? Honestly just want to understand the difference. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2023, 08:25 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Roman ACS

I highly advise people to seek out FIRST HAND experience with both style systems and not listen to any internet "advisor". Both style systems work but they are not comparable when experienced in person. Menus, speed, audio quality, boot times, etc. I say this as an installer that has installed many of these. There is a reason why I installed it in my own car then became a dealer and now only do the Mr12Volt at my shop. Its a premium product for a premium car.
I don’t intend to blow up your spot, the Mr12Volt kit is a good kit… I kept it for my GTS, but I was not able to install it on my GT3 due to the differences between it and a Carrera (…and the Mr12Volt support folks confirmed that to be the case.) No 997 came with a factory rear camera, so all manual 997s need to tap the reverse light for a trigger, but you make a good distinction — thank you for clarifying. People do come here to understand the differences because they aren’t widely documented. Roman, it’s great that you provide support to folks in North America, that should really help folks that run into challenges during day light hours in the US. 👍

Old 05-25-2023, 08:52 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 181 Likes on 127 Posts

As mentioned: https://rennkit.com/product-info/blu...-retrofit-kit/
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto