Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 04:46 PM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by acf
Thanks myw!

No USB port on the back, gotcha. We will have to look out for some harness solution as you have mentioned. Thanks again.
Pretty sure the connector for the rear socket (which is used on the 996 version for the external aux unit) is this https://audiotechdirect.com/atd-ffu-...rester-legacy/

I’ve ordered one, available from a number of vendors. I’ll let you know if it works once I’ve installed my PCCM+. If it does, I’m going to connect it to a surface mount USB connect which I’ll fit in the glove box. Can then either plug in a dongle or the phone directly for a long journeys. I’ll let you know. I think it’ll work fingers crossed.

It plugs into the brown usb host socket on the back of the PCCM+

Last edited by dph928; 01-04-2023 at 05:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dph928:
Bavarian 997 (01-04-2023), myw (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 05:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

imo this multiadapter will be a single plug allowing the cameras video signal as well as power + ground to pass thru without splicing any cables.

Originally Posted by onnastick
Reading Q12 from the FAQ at the bottom of this page (https://www.porsche.com/internationa.../pccm/manuals/):
12. Will the factory-installed rear view camera of my first-generation Cayenne continue to be supported??
Yes, the factory-installed rear view camera is connected to the PCCM Plus by means of a multi-adapter

I wonder what that "multi-adapter" is and if it can be purchased now... and whether we can get an aftermarket rear view camera for 997.1 to work with it.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:52 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
Pretty sure the connector for the rear socket (which is used on the 996 version for the external aux unit) is this https://audiotechdirect.com/atd-ffu-...rester-legacy/

I’ve ordered one, available from a number of vendors. I’ll let you know if it works once I’ve installed my PCCM+. If it does, I’m going to connect it to a surface mount USB connect which I’ll fit in the glove box. Can then either plug in a dongle or the phone directly for a long journeys. I’ll let you know. I think it’ll work fingers crossed.

It plugs into the brown usb host socket on the back of the PCCM+
Awesome. Do you already have your PCCM+? I was wondering what the brown 4-pin receptacle on the back side of the PCCM+ was for, as none of the wires included look as though they would go there. Your hypothesis would seem to make sense. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:58 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by myw
imo this multiadapter will be a single plug allowing the cameras video signal as well as power + ground to pass thru without splicing any cables.
Any ideas on where to source this multi-adapter or what it even is/looks like? Is it a Porsche part or aftermarket? If I could run a single cable for signal, power, and ground, that would be fantastic.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:01 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Awesome. Do you already have your PCCM+? I was wondering what the brown 4-pin receptacle on the back side of the PCCM+ was for, as none of the wires included look as though they would go there. Your hypothesis would seem to make sense. Please keep us posted.
Will do. On the 996 unit the usb part plugs in there and the aux plugs in the space remaining on the right hand top set of white sockets. I’d be surprise if it’s disabled. I’m just waiting for a dashcam to arrive as planning to install both at the same time (dashcam is going to have a handy switch to disable when needed). Already have the PCCM+ waiting.

I’ve also bought a second hand mic from a Boxster. You can’t remove the existing one as it’s used for the hands free and the Bose system noise cancelling (there’s actually two mics inside and two sets of wires, if you have bose). There is a second mounting position though on the steering column cowl. I’ve therefore removed the mic from the spare Boxster unit and transferred the PCCM+ mic into the shell. Some trimming of the rubber is needed to fit it, but glued back together with bumper repair plastic. The plastic repair is needed as to position it correctly the circuit board is right at the bottom edge of casing with no protection for the wires. The plastic glue allows the fragile wires to be secured firmly and the bottom edge to be built up. It’ll install into the steering column cowl (replacing the mr12v mic I did the same thing to). Looking forward to having it sorted! I may do a new thread showing the steps.

Last edited by dph928; 01-04-2023 at 07:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GTTommy (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 06:08 PM
dph928
Instructor

Any ideas on where to source this multi-adapter or what it even is/looks like? Is it a Porsche part or aftermarket? If I could run a single cable for signal, power, and ground, that would be fantastic.
Re this one. The Fakra connector is only needed for video. You can get an adaptor to the phono style if you want. There is no need to run power. You connect that to the reverse lights :-) I’m not planning to do this as I have parking sensors, however tempting :-)
Old 01-04-2023, 07:21 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Will do. On the 996 unit the usb part plugs in there and the aux plugs in the space remaining on the right hand din socket. I’d be surprise if it’s disabled. I’m just waiting for a dashcam to arrive as planning to install both at the same time (dashcam is going to have a handy switch to disable when needed). Already have the PCCM+ waiting.

I’ve also bought a second hand mic from a Boxster. You can’t remove the existing one as it’s used for the hands free and the Bose system noise cancelling (there’s actually two mics inside and two sets of wires, if you have bose). There is a second mounting position though on the steering column cowl. I’ve therefore removed the mic from the spare Boxster unit and transferred the PCCM+ mic into the shell. Some trimming of the rubber is needed to fit it, but glued back together with bumper repair plastic. The plastic repair is needed as to position it correctly the circuit board is right at the bottom edge of casing with no protection for the wires. The plastic glue allows the fragile wires to be secured firmly and the bottom edge to be built up. It’ll install into the steering column cowl (replacing the mr12v mic I did the same thing to). Looking forward to having it sorted! I may do a new thread showing the steps.
That's good to know, but if we're replacing the factory PCM, why would we need to keep the original mic? I was fully intending to remove the old mic but I'll leave it intact if necessary.

Also, any reason you went with the Boxter mic vs. the one that is included with the PCCM+? I was intending on removing the top cover from the included mic, then mount it on the inside of the steering wheel column cover like the other mic is mounted.

Regarding the backup camera, that makes sense. I'm not really interested in splicing cables (although I have the skills and have done it before to wire in a 3-way accelerometer for my DSC Sport Controller) for a backup camera, as I've lived this long without one. I was really hoping that if the PCCM+ was/is compatible with a backup camera, that we could just run the wire(s) to the PCCM+ and be done with it.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:37 PM
dph928
Instructor

That's good to know, but if we're replacing the factory PCM, why would we need to keep the original mic? I was fully intending to remove the old mic but I'll leave it intact if necessary.

Also, any reason you went with the Boxter mic vs. the one that is included with the PCCM+? I was intending on removing the top cover from the included mic, then mount it on the inside of the steering wheel column cover like the other mic is mounted.

Regarding the backup camera, that makes sense. I'm not really interested in splicing cables (although I have the skills and have done it before to wire in a 3-way accelerometer for my DSC Sport Controller) for a backup camera, as I've lived this long without one. I was really hoping that if the PCCM+ was/is compatible with a backup camera, that we could just run the wire(s) to the PCCM+ and be done with it.
The PCCM plus retains the Bose noise cancelling so I’d assume it still uses the second mic in the original mic housing (there are two mics in there if you have Bose, one for Bose processing and one for hands free. You’ll see two sets of output wires).

No particular reason for it being Boxster Bose or none Bose, just the first cheap donor mic I found on eBay. The housings are all the same. See my pics above where I’ve transplanted the PCCM+ mic into the shell. This will now just clip into the cowl like the existing mic on the opposite side.

If you don’t want to split the loom. What I normally do on classic cars is use a tool to pop out the necessary pins and drop a new one in its place on the old plug connected to a new wire. You can then put the original pin in another smaller plug and feed the new pin inserted in its place in the original plug and the new feed to power or connect to whatever from the plug attached to a new matching socket. I’ve done this to add relays etc for alarm systems but allowing it to be returned to stock at anytime by popping the pins back out and returning to their original locations. You can buy most sockets and pins available on eBay. You can do this on the plug on the back of the tail light.

If you run power and video separately you’re less likely to get interference, especially over a long run front to back. Though this may not be a problem.

Last edited by dph928; 01-04-2023 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:51 PM
bhag meister
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info re: 2 mics - my 997.1 has Bose but no telephony. probably why I only saw one mic installed. Would great to maintain a best 3rd party alternative to the new Porsche PCCM+ given the problems that plagued the original 996 variant. Last time I looked into this (1+yr ago), I came up with the following:
  • Metra 99-9606G $xxx mounting kit [see alternative]
  • NAV-TV MOST-H.U.R. 997 $690 convert audio signal to the factory fiber optic system
  • Echomaster PCAM-BS1 $110 backup camera
  • Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX $700 wireless CarPlay head unit ($550 w/ free install at Best Buy)
  • SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner $70 (free)

I love the idea of a Porsche branded upgrade but don’t want to be stuck with limited capability that cannot be upgraded to follow (Apple CarPlay) development.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:44 PM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Re this one. The Fakra connector is only needed for video. You can get an adaptor to the phono style if you want. There is no need to run power. You connect that to the reverse lights :-) I’m not planning to do this as I have parking sensors, however tempting :-)
Yup, that’s the fakra which is used in the Cayenne. I know because this weekend I’ll try to replace the backup camera on my CTT with a generic one that has RCA. The original one gave up the ghost and Porsche only sells the entire assembly for $1500

So I already have the RCA to fakra adapter Should work with any generic rear view camera, you just need to source power from somewhere. (This is actually a PITA in the CTT, because the original camera is 6v, so you either need to get power somewhere else, or try aftermarket cameras until you find one that works… I’ve got two on the shelf to try.)

Tl:dr; this will work with any camera, just needs RCA to fakra, both of which can be had from Amazon for about $30. Then you just need to get the 12v from the reversing lights.

Last edited by PowerFlower; 01-04-2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:34 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

The PCCM plus retains the Bose noise cancelling so I’d assume it still uses the second mic in the original mic housing (there are two mics in there if you have Bose, one for Bose processing and one for hands free. You’ll see two sets of output wires).

No particular reason for it being Boxster Bose or none Bose, just the first cheap donor mic I found on eBay. The housings are all the same. See my pics above where I’ve transplanted the PCCM+ mic into the shell. This will now just clip into the cowl like the existing mic on the opposite side.
This might be a dumb question, but how does Bose noise cancelling pertain to audio inside a car? I'm familiar with the noise cancelling headphones (I own a pair), where they induce a white noise to drown out loud, exterior noises. Is that the same principal for car audio? I thought that would be illegal: intentionally drowning out exterior sounds could be seen as a safety hazard. I thought the only feature that the Bose would possibly use a mic would be for Audiopilot, which increases the volume of the stereo as your speed increases. But even that I would think would get it's signal from the speedometer, not a microphone. Speaking of which, Audiopilot is one of the few features that is NOT retained with the new PCCM+ according to the FAQ. So I'm a little perplexed on how the Bose system would use a mic.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:48 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

I was able to get started on the install tonight. I was able to remove my old PCM and TranzitBlu HF bluetooth transceiver, along with its ancillary components. Next I'll install the GPS antenna, mic (hopefully inside the steering column cover), and necessary wiring harnesses and bypasses. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to try to source a Fakra to RCA adapter and backup camera yet. If not, I'll just go ahead and install the new PCCM+. The weather and roads aren't great here in Colorado and the moment, so I might still give the backup camera a try before I install the PCCM+

I think the FM control module they mention in the video is under a flap of carpet, which I didn't notice when I was out working on my car earlier. Tomorrow I'll pull the carpet back, which appears to be velcro'd together. I believe this is where the bypass cable goes. I'll report back when I know for sure.

The following 2 users liked this post by G.I.G.:
anewman (01-05-2023), myw (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 03:36 AM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 178 Posts

PSA for anyone looking to get one, just call your local dealer. I gave a call to a few and found one that had it in stock and am picking it up tomorrow.

Also if anyone is looking for the OE head unit, mine is for sale!
Old 01-05-2023, 04:10 AM
dph928
Instructor

This might be a dumb question, but how does Bose noise cancelling pertain to audio inside a car? I'm familiar with the noise cancelling headphones (I own a pair), where they induce a white noise to drown out loud, exterior noises. Is that the same principal for car audio? I thought that would be illegal: intentionally drowning out exterior sounds could be seen as a safety hazard. I thought the only feature that the Bose would possibly use a mic would be for Audiopilot, which increases the volume of the stereo as your speed increases. But even that I would think would get itsignal from the speedometer, not a microphone. Speaking of which, Audiopilot is one of the few features that is NOT retained with the new PCCM+ according to the FAQ. So I'm a little perplexed on how the Bose system would use a mic.
I believe it’s monitoring external noise levels. I can tell you for sure a Bose car (with telephony) has two mics and a none Bose car has a single mic for sure. The mics are different part numbers. How it processes the input I couldn’t tell you.

PS autopilot is retained on the 997 PCCM+ unit according to the manual.

Last edited by dph928; 01-05-2023 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:13 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting to see that the MOST box has its own part number, and it's listed on some sites, e.g. https://www.rosepassion.com/en/pcg64...36400-P1036400 -- price around $165. That would be great even for those who already have, or are still contemplating, a third party unit -- it's cheaper than other solutions, and unlike the others, supports four channels (and retains fader). I also suspect it has better compatibility in general.

In reality, probably like the 996/986 PCCM breakout box, you won't be able to actually order it separately...

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request