Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023 | 11:07 AM
dph928
Instructor

Default DVD Navigation Unit delete

That’s me now deleted the DVD navigation unit since it’s redundant.

There is/was no carpet on the exposed corner. While this won’t be visible, I didn’t want this to rub and so I used some old frunk lining to carpet there before making a cover.

I started with a cardboard template to work out how much overlap to get the carpet to sit flat.

I used the DVD unit’s mount to position tangs which I made from 1mm galvanised steal. I shaped with a hammer and trial fitted with double sided tape before riveting.

I also attached my fire extinguisher mount to it with rivets. My upholstery skills aren’t amazing. I didn’t leave quite enough carpet at the top left corner. I may put a bit of silicon on there to tidy the edge. On the rear I used 5mm adhesive foam. This pads out before and keeps it in place nicely against the tangs. I filed and smoothed the tangs before covering with cable shrink wrap (so it doesn’t scratch paint).

Great to have the space back. My cabin bag now fits perfectly. Not too big a job if anyone fancies doing it. Pics below.

Note: I also bought a new full size frunk floor mat; if you’re wondering why there isn’t a notch in the corner. The board still has the notch and I put a small corner rectangle of a floor mat underneath so it sits flat.

This is the extra frunk carpet I added. This bit was bare before.

Trail fitting with double sided tape.

Slotted in OK, but clear tangs needed a few more mil to allow for carpet

Tangs riveted on

Tangs covered in cable shrink wrap

Covered in new carpet (generic mats material) with spray on adhesive

Pic from rear with carpet attached

Adhesive foam added for snug fit and not rattles

Slotted into place. No carpet bumps and very snug

Last edited by dph928; 01-15-2023 at 11:11 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by dph928:
Bavarian 997 (01-15-2023), Graufuchs (01-15-2023), irnnr (01-15-2023), krazykarl (01-15-2023), Turbo18 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023 | 12:40 PM
964hans
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo18
Hi folks. Curious if others have seen this new unit come with black trim. I asked the local Porsche dealer I purchased from built they only seem to know of / carry this grey-ish looking unit. Heard of someone else with this issue who was planning to paint it. Anyone else have this issue or is there a part number for a unit with black trim?
I contacted Porsche The Netherlands about the colour. It is Grey only they said.
So I decided to disassemble the PCCM and take of the trim to spray it. Well removing the trim did not work because I did not have the guts to continue disassembling. There is a lot of electronics mounted on the trim.

So I painted it

Ready for painting

I am satisfied with the result

Regards
Hans
The following 4 users liked this post by 964hans:
signde (01-15-2023), Spastblast (01-24-2023), TerrestrialFlyte (01-15-2023), Turbo18 (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023 | 12:42 PM
medicus
Advanced

Great
Old 01-15-2023 | 12:46 PM
dph928
Instructor

You don’t look like you were that far from freeing the trim, results look great! Good effort.
Old 01-15-2023 | 12:47 PM
medicus
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dph928
@beebman , @medicus and @G.I.G. I’ve gone ahead and ordered the media unit at £85 including shipping. I’ll confirm how the phone socket maps to the 10 pin socket. With that info it should be possible to wire a usb directly for peanuts (with a 10 pin plug).

I’ll probably keep it and route it to my glovebox as originally planned (so I can use wireless CarPlay). I’m expecting to have to splice in some wire to get it in a good position. I will report back once it’s appeared.

If anyone wants to purchase (depending on success). I got from eurospares.co.uk part number 91164551300. Dan
I am looking forward to the result.
Old 01-15-2023 | 12:51 PM
964hans
Instructor

You don’t look like you were that far from freeing the trim, results look great! Good effort.
Thats right.
It is the display Flat Cable connection that stopped me.
Old 01-15-2023 | 12:54 PM
Turbo18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nikandriko
There’s a lot of information about “PCM in leather” on this Rennlist thread.
Thank you much - will check it out.
Old 01-15-2023 | 12:56 PM
Turbo18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964hans
I contacted Porsche The Netherlands about the colour. It is Grey only they said.
So I decided to disassemble the PCCM and take of the trim to spray it. Well removing the trim did not work because I did not have the guts to continue disassembling. There is a lot of electronics mounted on the trim.

So I painted it

Ready for painting

I am satisfied with the result

Regards
Hans
Hans - I did the exact same thing last night! Nice work. Was a real pain but glad it’s done.

Old 01-15-2023 | 12:58 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Wcube
Hello All,
I got everything installed and running in my non-Bose car. Sound quality is much improved now over the old head unit. And I do have a 6 band eq. displaying and functioning as well.

My question: at volume 0 or mute, I can still hear white noise. Does anyone else have this issue?
Interesting. That may explain why when I booted up my PCCM+ for the first time in my Bose equipped car, it initially displayed a 6-band EQ in the Sound menu. The next time and every subsequent time after that it displayed a 2-band EQ (bass and treble). I'm assuming that once my PCCM+ recognized that it was paired to a Bose equipped car it set the EQ option accordingly. It's unfortunate, because the quality of Bose sound systems is good, but there is a lot of bass and not enough midrange for the music (rock, etc.) that I like to listen to. With all that said, the sound quality is much better than my original PCM with the TransitBlu HF transceiver, which tapped into the FM input and basically sounded like an OK FM station. I have the bass at 0, and the treble at +3 on my PCCM+, and that seems to be serviceable considering there are no midrange settings.

Regarding the white noise, I've noticed that as well and this may be "normal", unfortunately. I hear it as the PCCM+ starts up even before you can access the main menu. I can't remember exactly if that was there with my old PCM, but I'm pretty sure there was a little white noise with the PCM on but no music playing.

Again, I haven't taken my car for a drive yet (we're expecting more snow here tonight) so I'm hopeful that the white noise isn't noticeable when the engine is running. I suspect it won't be an issue. I usually listen to music when I'm driving, but there are times I have the music off and it would be nice to still see the maps function without having to completely power down the PCCM+ to eliminate the white noise.
Old 01-15-2023 | 01:04 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

@beebman , @medicus and @G.I.G. I’ve gone ahead and ordered the media unit at £85 including shipping. I’ll confirm how the phone socket maps to the 10 pin socket. With that info it should be possible to wire a usb directly for peanuts (with a 10 pin plug).

I’ll probably keep it and route it to my glovebox as originally planned (so I can use wireless CarPlay). I’m expecting to have to splice in some wire to get it in a good position. I will report back once it’s appeared.

If anyone wants to purchase (depending on success). I got from eurospares.co.uk part number 91164551300. Dan
Great, thank you! I appreciate all of the experimentation you have tackled with this project. Your frunk nav delete looks great, too!
Old 01-15-2023 | 01:36 PM
Chris L
Racer

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I understand this is SiriusXM-ready, meaning you have to purchase a receiver, like a SXV300.

Does anyone know if that needs an adapter cable? I see something the 996 unit called "Sirius Interface Cable for PCCM", or SKU: SKUCLASICSIR, or does that come in the PCCM+ box?

Chris.
Old 01-15-2023 | 01:51 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris L
Hope this isn't too far off topic, but I understand this is SiriusXM-ready, meaning you have to purchase a receiver, like a SXV300.

Does anyone know if that needs an adapter cable? I see something the 996 unit called "Sirius Interface Cable for PCCM", or SKU: SKUCLASICSIR, or does that come in the PCCM+ box?

Chris.
Yes, it is my understanding that you can use the included adapter cable (pictured and circled below) to integrate a separate SiriusXM receiver with the PCCM+.

Old 01-15-2023 | 01:57 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Regarding the white noise, I've noticed that as well and this may be "normal", unfortunately. I hear it as the PCCM+ starts up even before you can access the main menu. I can't remember exactly if that was there with my old PCM, but I'm pretty sure there was a little white noise with the PCM on but no music playing.
This is disappointing to read. My car had an aftermarket head unit in it when I bought it. No CarPlay functionality and it has white noise. Sometimes I just want to listen to the car. I was hoping the PCCM+ would resolve that. Mine is to the point where I’ve considered looking up the fuse location and pulling it unless I really wanted to listen to music. I do hope it’s at least not as bad as my current set up.
Old 01-15-2023 | 01:59 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Gaudin let me know they're sold out of map SD cards for the 997 PCCM plus. They expect to get more by the end of March.
Old 01-15-2023 | 02:03 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
This is disappointing to read. My car had an aftermarket head unit in it when I bought it. No CarPlay functionality and it has white noise. Sometimes I just want to listen to the car. I was hoping the PCCM+ would resolve that. Mine is to the point where I’ve considered looking up the fuse location and pulling it unless I really wanted to listen to music. I do hope it’s at least not as bad as my current set up.
I have to wonder if it is just an inherent flaw with the Bose setup and amplifiers, and has nothing to do with the head unit itself.
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (01-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request