Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 12:21 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Belgian_Dude
I don't think it is, couldn't find it yet at least...
Hence why I'm looking for someone with a pccm+ to extract it.
Would really finish off the whole OEM feel, dotting the last "I" so to speak
In theory it could work, but given that the canBus module is external on the generic android units - vs not being aware of how it is programmed on the pccm+ , it would likely yeild quite a bit of bugs to solve.
Old 04-13-2023, 02:31 PM
T0m
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
Has this been ordered?

I'm trying to 100% confirm if a modified high->low iso Harness needs to offered as an optional addOn for the .1 SPP cars as it has been confirmed for the .2 cars.

Feel free to PM me.
Hi mate i still haven't found the time to pull the frunk liner to check what kind of amp is used, just to verify if it's using fiber (i obviously have one fiber connection to the dvd player for nav)

*update*

pulled the liner only seem to have a Optical for the DVD

ASK amp was mounted on the bottom of the dvd player

Last edited by T0m; 04-13-2023 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2023, 05:36 AM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Belgian_Dude
I don't think it is, couldn't find it yet at least...
Hence why I'm looking for someone with a pccm+ to extract it.
Would really finish off the whole OEM feel, dotting the last "I" so to speak
The OEM Feel would be through the launcher, given Android 6 v.12 this could be problematic, but any of the bespoke APKs "should" be OK so long as they 're not using specific CANBUS info. Would love to try it!
Old 04-14-2023, 05:37 AM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YarraMates
@myw Really appreciate your help here. Changing the gain values in the VOICE tab had no affect whatsoever. I set everything to 0, reset the unit, confirmed that settings saved but the volume issue still persists.
Prior to install I set the volume on CDR30 to 0, default fade, loudness OFF.
If it helps, here is a video
Which unit did you buy? I got the Qualcomm 665 and 6gb Ram and 128GB ROM, and it is no where near as responsive as this?
Old 04-14-2023, 11:55 AM
sspikey
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool thread. less than 24 hours ago I just got a 2007 997 Carrera S (3.8 engine, Manual).

I can see the Bose logos on my doors and feel I have a subwoofer. No controls on the steering wheel as I have the upgraded thicker leather wheel.

Is there a specific post where I can read a ton before I ask any questions not to waste people's time? Just wanna get mostly info on

1. Link for the unit
2. How to figure out if I have Soundlink
3. Which "features" I need to order with the Head Unit from Aliexpress
4. Additional install guide
Old 04-14-2023, 04:48 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sspikey
Very cool thread. less than 24 hours ago I just got a 2007 997 Carrera S (3.8 engine, Manual).

I can see the Bose logos on my doors and feel I have a subwoofer. No controls on the steering wheel as I have the upgraded thicker leather wheel.

Is there a specific post where I can read a ton before I ask any questions not to waste people's time? Just wanna get mostly info on

1. Link for the unit
2. How to figure out if I have Soundlink
3. Which "features" I need to order with the Head Unit from Aliexpress
4. Additional install guide
pm me - i can run you thru it quickly.

this is the g1 android unit, that I designed.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:49 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by RLR997
The OEM Feel would be through the launcher, given Android 6 v.12 this could be problematic, but any of the bespoke APKs "should" be OK so long as they 're not using specific CANBUS info. Would love to try it!
Same! Would like to try it also!

Second unit in with BOSE. Thanks!! @myw

The following users liked this post:
myw (04-14-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 11:19 AM
sspikey
AutoX

Keep posting in different forums and can't seem to get the option to work to PM you! New member sorry.
Old 04-18-2023, 01:57 PM
T0m
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 24 Posts

ordered this one yesterday, lets hope it lives up to the hype.

myw (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 06:51 AM
Belgian_Dude
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

so to follow up on my attempts to get the Porsche-specific options:
-found a firmware/update package for the 996-PCCM on another forum: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t...er=asc&start=0
many thanks to the original poster.

extracted the APK's from it, unfortunately only one runs: u-center, a gps-diag app.
that said, I did not spend much more time trying to debug the other ones, as they wouldn't be useful anyway being for a 996.

quest@svandamme (hallo, trouwens ;-) ) or anyone else with the "real deal" pccm+ for 997: would you be willing to try to help out?
the easiest will be to extract the "settings" (and maybe other) apps using https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...a.apkextractor
more complete would be to create a dump of the firmware (not easy), or obtain a firmware update from Porsche (not easy either it seems ....)

pls let me know if willing to work on this

thanks!!
Graufuchs (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 11:16 AM
sspikey
AutoX

Man I have read every post on the forum and seems pretty awesome overall. Almost at the point of ordering. Has anyone tried the PX6 vs Snapdragon and can discuss real world speed difference?

I have been trying to get into the facebook group but as of now not yet approved.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:21 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sspikey
Man I have read every post on the forum and seems pretty awesome overall. Almost at the point of ordering. Has anyone tried the PX6 vs Snapdragon and can discuss real world speed difference?

I have been trying to get into the facebook group but as of now not yet approved.
i have had both.

px6 is top of the line from 2020.
snap dragon is top of the line 2022.

you have to assess if the 150$ or so price difference is worth the difference between an iphone11 vs iphone13.

Both will still do the trick - and will amaze you ... re overall functionally, screen size + capability.

I got your pm.

Last edited by myw; 04-19-2023 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:55 AM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RLR997
Which unit did you buy? I got the Qualcomm 665 and 6gb Ram and 128GB ROM, and it is no where near as responsive as this?
I got a Version 15 from Owtosin Offical store. It is Qualcomm 665 4GB+64. My unit flies. Absolutely no lag switching between apps, and all touch responses are snappy. Granted, I only installed Spotify, Waze and TunedIn so there really isn't much running in the background.

Last edited by YarraMates; 04-20-2023 at 12:58 AM.
myw (04-20-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 08:39 PM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't get it to recognize the SIM on my Qualcomm unit. Mobile network setting is greyed out. Someone above mentioned that there may be a hidden menu to activate the SIM dongle?
Old 04-23-2023, 05:19 AM
Belgian_Dude
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Qualcomm 6215 unit - an honest review

hi all,

after a few weeks, I thought it's time to share my thoughts on the unit.
I ordered the "top of the line" unit, qualcomm 6215, at a hefty price - €660.

In short, I do not feel it lives up to expectations and I am disappointed.

in long:
Context: I work in IT (consultancy with stong tech background in infra/networking/virtualization/...) and I like tinkering with my cars and devices. I'm not a developer, android or otherwise, but obviously somewhat tech-savvy ;-)

hardware
-quite allright, fit & finish is OK, but the mounting is not; basically there is no provision to mount and secure it. Sure, there are the little "tabs" that slide into the console, but no screws to mount the 2 additional tabs are provided. This doesn't prevent the unit from sliding out. A replication of the OEM mounting hex' would be brilliant, a threaded hole for the right-hand screw would be a minimum.
-cables, buttons, plugs, etc: all OK

software
this is where many of the issues lie. I feel the software is "unfinished", "unpolished", and frankly "beta-quality" at best.
examples: the "factory settings" "secret menu" is required for many basic functions such as changing the boot logo. (which, by the way, could be included as the unit is clearly only ever going to be installed in a Porsche) or changing the physical keymap.
however this menu is not explained at all, dropdown menus contain dark options, not easily understood. There's a mix of settings you could/should touch, and ones you definitely shouldn't.
in the key mapping menu, for example, you can choose the function for each button press and long press - but you have to choose based on the icon of the function solely, how hard would it be to include the text as well??
UI: the button for dimming the screen up top is useless and often hit by mistake. It's a pity the notification bar buttons cannot be customized (that I found)

interface / launcher
"meh". not doing it. icons are ugly, the "4 cards" cannot (that I found) be customized to use (eg. spotify instead of built-in music player or FM), etc.
Additional themes seem to exist but are paid.

sound quality
I'm still battling with a white noise hiss/hum. It's there whenever the volume is not at 0/mute, and doesn't get louder when the volume is turned up between 1 and 30. it's not a gound loop issue (isolated), seems to come from the back speakers mostly/only but fader has no effect on it. Sounds like coil whine. Idem engine running or not.
not too bad while driving, but still screws with the audio quality of high dynamic range songs, you'll hear it in silent passages.
Manufacturer's responses was to "isolate cables" :/ ....
besides this, sound quality is good.

speed
"acceptable" in a vacuum, but too slow for something that's supposedly the highest-end, current-gent product at the given price.

integration
big disappointment.
Sure, it seems to read vehicle speed from CANBUS, and is able to push info to the dashboard. however, the only "useful" info is the FM station MHz ..... which really isn't that useful at all. Why not the station name?
playing spotify or other displays "OTHER" - why not the song name or similar?
navigation displays "NAVI -------" , no directions (as I had expected) (tried with the preinstalled nav software as well as google maps and Michelin maps)
DAB untested as of yet (no DAB in my area yet)

manual / documentation
again, given the price, some explanations should be provided. While not strictly blocking thanks to the work of @myw and many others in this forum, it's still a no-go given the price.
for example, how does the canbus interact? is there an app? how does the device communicate with the external CANBUS module? etc.

android auto
works. Flaky, but works.
seems to auto-start on his own terms. Found the option somewhere to enable it wireless, but can't find it again.
disables wifi

connectivity
works but could be improved:
-wifi used as access point when using android auto - but somehow using 4G isn't possible during this time.
-bluetooth: no possibility to connect a keyboard for example. flaky connection to OBD module.
-4G: slow but works I guess.

price / conclusion
paid €660, would not recommend.
I'm disappointed I did not order any of the cheaper units out there, as this supposedly "high end" unit does not, in my view, fullfil its promises.
to add insult to injury,the same device is currently on sale at 40% off! at the remaining 387€, it would be a much more reasonable proposition. EDIT: seems I looked wrong on mobile.
Still would only recommend to someone who likes tinkering.

Given the "unfinished" nature of the software, I feel it's too much locked down. Things are broken and you're not able to easily go in and fix. Open-sourcing the ROM for example could greatly improve this. Given the price however, I still think the software should be better.
I have made a mistake I've made before with smartphones: I've bought hardware/specs instead of software/functionality ....

next steps:
I will contact the seller in light of their huge discount and the gripes noted above.
I'll also be digging some more into this whole canbus thing ....

Very much looking forward to your feedback. Did anyone get directions on their dashboard? Am I the only one with this feeling? How's the collaboration with the manufacturer, can we work on improving this?

Last edited by Belgian_Dude; 04-24-2023 at 02:29 AM. Reason: update on pricing - original text in strike-through

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!