Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 02:07 PM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll chime in with a couple of notes.
I expected that the Android experience will require a bit of tinkering and customization - it is what it is, and those who are willing to dig into settings, install different apps and launchers will get a lot more utility out of this device. A quick search on AliExpress will show, there are a lot of versions and clones of these Porsche units varying from $100-$1000. Buying from Owtosin Official on the recommendation of this forum, I paid about $1,000 CAD which is definitely on the high end and is approaching the cost of the Porsche OEM updated unit. As far as hardware, the value is probably not there, but I'm willing to pay a premium for good support and @myw 's genuine face plate + community support that these units have already amassed.

Out of the box I've had the following issues with Owtosin's "top of the line" unit:
- Was told to purchase an optical adapter when I did not need it (now I need to ship it back for a partial refund)
- Wiring harness included is not compatible with SPP option. Spent 2 days troubleshooting, buying spare connectors, and modifying the connectors myself.
- Unit does not lock in place - have to use velcro and foam to keep it flush
- Issue with microphones (echo) - unresolved, phone is unusable
- Porsche onboard computer (speedo display) crashing when selecting Audio or Phone mode - unresolved
- No manual/documentation - outdated guides are buried on forums and FB groups
- Support might as well not exist; they don't understand the question being asked, are slow to respond, and provide awkwardly translated directions that don't make sense.

Here's what I think is happening. Owtosin is producing hundreds of different versions of head units (I bought a Mercedes one from them as well). They are developed for the most common version of the car model / canbus / wiring harnass, etc, for each make. For many people this results in a plug-and-play experience. However, the moment your car doesn't fit the standard profile they have tested for - it all falls apart. In my case, it was the SPP option. Based on recent posts, it seems there are two issues - QA problems with individual units, and Owtosin not producing versions specific to particular car models /options. I doubt they'll ever figure out what is causing my speedo display to crash.

My biggest disappointment in this whole process is support, which was one of the biggest selling points for me paying $1,000. I don't know if their business model justifies it - but they need to allocate resources for dedicated support and documentation - how about a youtube video guide or a wiki?
A massive thank you to @myw for stepping in and providing a ton of help to me personally - but it shouldn't fall on his shoulders to guide every customer through troubleshooting.
The following 2 users liked this post by YarraMates:
Belgian_Dude (05-15-2023), myw (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 02:10 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by T0m
a good company would atleast send out another headunit that doesn't have these issues, they don't even bother, they are more concerned not needing to give a refund, scamming the customers.
I hear you and am sorry you are going through this. Most of these Chinese companies really are only in the business of moving cheap merchandise and customer service is non-existent. Not justifying it but there's an inherent cultural difference here too which is why Chinese cars are junk (compared to Japanese and Korean cars as an example, which were junk too when they first entered the market). The attitude is you get what you get, if you don't like it go somewhere else.

I've got a Chinese PIWIS2 which has been fantastic but I went in knowing I'd get zero support and would need to figure out stuff myself. It's was worth it as the PIWIS made it so I'd never need a dealership again so I was willing to put up with no documentation/support. I bought one of these Chinese Android heads back at the beginning of the thread and ended up putting my PCM 2.1 back in as I just got tired of the quirks and issues. No help whatsoever from the supplier. It's now sitting in a box in my garage.

No one will ever get Western-style customer service out of the Chinese companies as it's expensive and takes infrastructure to operate. It's just not what they do. They are simply running emails through google translate and the communication is awful. Plus they only seem to understand simple problems (or perhaps pretend that's the case) but the result is the same. If you are okay with that then go for it but unless your problem is blatantly simple you are on your own. Buyer beware.

Last edited by PV997; 05-15-2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:24 PM
Robired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
I hear you and am sorry you are going through this. Most of these Chinese companies really are only in the business of moving cheap merchandise and customer service is non-existent. Not justifying it but there's an inherent cultural difference here too which is why Chinese cars are junk (compared to Japanese and Korean cars as an example, which were junk too when they first entered the market). The attitude is you get what you get, if you don't like it go somewhere else.

I've got a Chinese PIWIS2 which has been fantastic but I went in knowing I'd get zero support and would need to figure out stuff myself. It's was worth it as the PIWIS made it so I'd never need a dealership again so I was willing to put up with no documentation/support. I bought one of these Chinese Android heads back at the beginning of the thread and ended up putting my PCM 2.1 back in as I just got tired of the quirks and issues. No help whatsoever from the supplier. It's now sitting in a box in my garage.

No one will ever get Western-style customer service out of the Chinese companies as it's expensive and takes infrastructure to operate. It's just not what they do. They are simply running emails through google translate and the communication is awful. Plus they only seem to understand simple problems (or perhaps pretend that's the case) but the result is the same. If you are okay with that then go for it but unless your problem is blatantly simple you are on your own. Buyer beware.
Just reading your response after reading most of this threat. I just received one of the Aliexpress units. I had an extensive WhatsApp exchange with the seller and while he did not provide great instructions other than a video link, there was visible interest to help me through the installation. I cannot judge the quality of the outcome yet as I did not start the installation.
What worried me though is that you mention constant issues with the unit. Can you explore a bit as this will help me decide to send this straight back and just get a Bluetooth connector or give it a try... thanks
Old 05-16-2023, 04:38 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 476 Posts

I purchased two of the cheaper C4 units for both vehicles with the intention of having wireless apple carplay. That's all I really wanted was some connectivity in the car to play music, have maps/navigation available and have the unit match the interior.

Both units hit the mark both in appearance and functionality.
  • 95% match appearance wise (thanks @myw )
  • Wireless Apple Carplay
  • Navigation
  • Ability to have phone calls (Internal Mic)
  • No lag between programs ect.
I think the less expensive units hit the mark, and outfitting both cars with that functionality for less than $680 is a big win in my book. 1 car has the base Audio system and the other has the Bose system. I didn't have to remove amps or figure out to much as most of it was plug and play for me. Did I have to mess around with mounting the unit, yes, these was a bit of trial and error positioning some foam strips in key locations but the end result is that they both look pretty close to factory and have a good amount of technology/connectivity in a 20+ year old car(s). So for a few bucks I was out of the dark ages, I cant complain about that. I'm sorry to see that some of you guys are having issues and @PV997 is on point with his analysis of the majority of Chinese based electronic companies.

The following 3 users liked this post by Graufuchs:
irnnr (07-05-2023), myw (05-16-2023), ZedZed (10-06-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 04:59 PM
TonD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got around installing my unit in my ‘07 997 S. Contrary to my Cayenne 957 install (mostly unrelated, except that I bought the unit from owtosin too), everything worked first try. I guess my previous experience helped. Some things I encountered, most has been discussed before:

1. They still ship the wrong FAKRA adapter (single vs dual), but I came prepared and already had the dual going in.
2. The fit is terrible, I mean, I was fiddling in a pretty dark garage and getting tired so I might’ve rushed a bit with the foam strips etc, but the fact that’s even necessary is pretty ridiculous. They really need to step up the mounting game. It sits ‘OK’ now. Maybe I go back in some day to adjust, or I’ll try again a few years down the line when a newer/better unit comes around the corner.
3. Soon as I finished the install, the power button just fell off, not kidding. Nothing a little super glue won’t fix, but still… 😂
4. How does the SD door work? Can’t seem to get any movement in it.

That being said, and considering what I paid (around 350-450 euros if I remember correctly), I really like what I saw/heard. Didn’t test a lot yet, but sound appeared good enough (usually don’t listen to music either, mostly wanted Google Maps and some other nav/ gps apps).

All I’m interested in is Apple CarPlay really, and it does just that and wirelessly contrary to the PCCM+.

This time (unlike with the Cayenne) I even hooked up the antenna amp thingy correctly so FM and AM works (in the C it doesn’t, was sad about that for 22 seconds and then realized I never listen to radio anyway).

Fun fact, I had to dismantle a iPod interface someone way back when paid around $900 for. Left the cable to the 30-pin connector in there, because I was not in the mood to remove the center console / tunnel.

Fit isn’t perfect, but acceptable (to me).

To me looks totally OEM, thanks @myw

Last edited by TonD; 05-17-2023 at 05:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TonD:
irnnr (07-05-2023), myw (03-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2023, 03:24 AM
Belgian_Dude
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

hi all,
I think @PV997 is on the money, support is "as expected" from a CN AE seller, unfortunately not as I (we?) expected from "the one with the high quality products".

Hence, @myw , What made you know that specifically Owtosin is the brand under which they sell "high quality" units? How much detail do you have on their company/ies structure? Do you know which other brands come from the same factory (but may have integrated cpu etc.) ?
Additionally I'm wondering, how is your communication channel with them currently? Are they responsive? Are you still working with them?

@Graufuchs I envy your foresight ;-) think you made the right move, cheaper units and lower expectations avoided a lot of headache. Smart move!

on my end, I've been discussing with the seller through various means (AE messaging, whatsapp, ...) and it's progressing very slowly, running in circles. They did offer to send over a 2nd unit, but without any improvements it'll just be the same issues so I'm not inclined to go for it. Multiple proposals to work with them on improving the (software) issues did not seem to interest them.
After escalation to AliExpress, I could get a +-40% refund which would make it all bearable.

@YarraMates how is it going on your side? Did you request a refund or not?
Any progress on the in-dash display crashing? I'm currently digging into the whole canbus thing, if I find anything of interest I'll let you know ... (but don't hold your breath)
The following 3 users liked this post by Belgian_Dude:
Graufuchs (05-22-2023), myw (05-29-2023), TonD (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Eurotrs
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find the foam mounting instructions, can someone provide me the link?
Old 05-28-2023, 09:21 AM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Belgian_Dude
Any progress on the in-dash display crashing? I'm currently digging into the whole canbus thing, if I find anything of interest I'll let you know ... (but don't hold your breath)
I think I'm going to keep it.
Figured it's easier to make a video than type it out, so here is my review of the unit installed:

Last edited by YarraMates; 05-28-2023 at 10:34 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by YarraMates:
Graufuchs (05-28-2023), irnnr (07-05-2023), myw (05-29-2023), TonD (05-30-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 06:37 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

Finally have some time on a flight - will go thru everything and post when I am landed!

hi all,
I think @PV997 is on the money, support is "as expected" from a CN AE seller, unfortunately not as I (we?) expected from "the one with the high quality products".

Hence, @myw , What made you know that specifically Owtosin is the brand under which they sell "high quality" units? How much detail do you have on their company/ies structure? Do you know which other brands come from the same factory (but may have integrated cpu etc.) ?
Additionally I'm wondering, how is your communication channel with them currently? Are they responsive? Are you still working with them?

@Graufuchs I envy your foresight ;-) think you made the right move, cheaper units and lower expectations avoided a lot of headache. Smart move!

on my end, I've been discussing with the seller through various means (AE messaging, whatsapp, ...) and it's progressing very slowly, running in circles. They did offer to send over a 2nd unit, but without any improvements it'll just be the same issues so I'm not inclined to go for it. Multiple proposals to work with them on improving the (software) issues did not seem to interest them.
After escalation to AliExpress, I could get a +-40% refund which would make it all bearable.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:59 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Hi

1) I keep telling them a dual fakra adapter is needed. I will tell them again.

2) When I talked to the OwTowsin owner as well as Bob in person a few months ago. They explained that the rear is simply a generic doubleDin housing. No custom attempt had been made to get perfect fitment. I did tell them about the 3d printed bracket solution on this thread. They thought it was cool an wouldnt mind giving it a try. but the truth is unless I spearHead it myself - i dont think its going to happen. I also showed them the pccm+ porsche one with the 2 side bracket pieces with the notch that allows for oem fitment... I'm pretty sure the understand.

3) The buttons can only be removed from the inside with the face cover off, but the but the 2 ***** are pull out + push-in - with enough force they can be pulled out. - they really should be able to be pushed in easily.

4) the SD isnt a button, its a COVER - you can pull it back and it reveals the SD card slot. This ONLY applies for the quallComm Px5 + Px6 units, the higher end units only. All the other units from what I know, there is zero circuity behind it to save costs.

Originally Posted by TonD
To me looks totally OEM, thanks @myw
You're welcome!

Originally Posted by TonD
Finally got around installing my unit in my ‘07 997 S. Contrary to my Cayenne 957 install (mostly unrelated, except that I bought the unit from owtosin too), everything worked first try. I guess my previous experience helped. Some things I encountered, most has been discussed before:

1. They still ship the wrong FAKRA adapter (single vs dual), but I came prepared and already had the dual going in.
2. The fit is terrible, I mean, I was fiddling in a pretty dark garage and getting tired so I might’ve rushed a bit with the foam strips etc, but the fact that’s even necessary is pretty ridiculous. They really need to step up the mounting game. It sits ‘OK’ now. Maybe I go back in some day to adjust, or I’ll try again a few years down the line when a newer/better unit comes around the corner.
3. Soon as I finished the install, the power button just fell off, not kidding. Nothing a little super glue won’t fix, but still… 😂
4. How does the SD door work? Can’t seem to get any movement in it.

That being said, and considering what I paid (around 350-450 euros if I remember correctly), I really like what I saw/heard. Didn’t test a lot yet, but sound appeared good enough (usually don’t listen to music either, mostly wanted Google Maps and some other nav/ gps apps).

All I’m interested in is Apple CarPlay really, and it does just that and wirelessly contrary to the PCCM+.

This time (unlike with the Cayenne) I even hooked up the antenna amp thingy correctly so FM and AM works (in the C it doesn’t, was sad about that for 22 seconds and then realized I never listen to radio anyway).

Fun fact, I had to dismantle a iPod interface someone way back when paid around $900 for. Left the cable to the 30-pin connector in there, because I was not in the mood to remove the center console / tunnel.
The following users liked this post:
TonD (06-01-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 10:20 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

You nailed it - the speedo thing is related to the canbus adapter and programming. It is on version4 i believe the last time i checked out the units. The canbus Adapter programming is based primarily on the .1 cayenne from what I have been told. Imo it will be impossble for them directly to figure out the speedo to crash as they merely purchase the canbus units from their main supplier. As do almost all chinese manufacturers.

the canbus adapter allows for
- steering wheel control (2 buttons still dont work which I have told them and have proven via log can output)
- enabling the dimming feature (connecting to the headlamps)
- enabling the parking mode (parking brake) - legal reasons for video disablement

- some info to the main display - phone caller, music (assuming it is programmed correctly)

as I have seen some misInformation on some posts, the canbus does NOT send
- radio info, that is is all done via RDS.
- in the past radioFM modulators have indeed been able to send 'callerID' and mp3 song tracks via the RDS channel.

Finally, I was told owTowsin that they can put me in contact with the canbus company and I would have to pay theme directly to reProgram and the custom problems that we face - but that all future canbus units that will be sold to ALL manufacturers of these units will have these changes implemented.

Video guide or wiki would honestly have had to be done by me. There isnt a single a Chinese radio supplier IMO that has ever done it. I don't even think porsche pccm+ has that. In fact I know they DONT. the last time I checked the pccm+ thread has blown up to 130 pages in barely even half a year. The owners are literally cracking the units open to get a working usb port at the rear. I spent lots of my free time on figuring out how to get their rear camera to work, the pin outs, harnesses etc.

Your welcome - i dont mind helping re this stuff. I have been supporting these units for YEARS before asking to be involved. If you look at my posts over the decade I love to help re all things (wheels, prev fm adapters, etc etc), perhaps a little too much which I am being mindful to tone town.

Originally Posted by YarraMates

Here's what I think is happening. Owtosin is producing hundreds of different versions of head units (I bought a Mercedes one from them as well). They are developed for the most common version of the car model / canbus / wiring harnass, etc, for each make. For many people this results in a plug-and-play experience. However, the moment your car doesn't fit the standard profile they have tested for - it all falls apart. In my case, it was the SPP option. Based on recent posts, it seems there are two issues - QA problems with individual units, and Owtosin not producing versions specific to particular car models /options. I doubt they'll ever figure out what is causing my speedo display to crash.

My biggest disappointment in this whole process is support, which was one of the biggest selling points for me paying $1,000. I don't know if their business model justifies it - but they need to allocate resources for dedicated support and documentation - how about a youtube video guide or a wiki?
A massive thank you to @myw for stepping in and providing a ton of help to me personally - but it shouldn't fall on his shoulders to guide every customer through troubleshooting.
The following users liked this post:
irnnr (07-05-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 10:25 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Hi T0m

in usa, the .1 cars need both the BROWN + BLACK fakra adapters. I had to have both connected for decent FM / AM signal. I also noticed on the pccm+ that they used some other closed off loop cable/disable (haven't fully looked into it) to get the radio working right. If only one adapter is connected, you will be missing something as the radio uses the 2-antenna diversity system.

I have msged Bob a while back directly asking him whats going on re your issue - he did state that he will refund/deal with your issue

Originally Posted by T0m
I have two Fakra connectors, one brown & one black
since the head unit only came with a black one, i connected it to that and also the blue Antenna C wire.
Tested it also with the brown fakra, but there I basically get no radio signal, i assume that's for the cellular reception ?

for your second question if i have SPP ?
No i do not, i just have the A.S.K option which only powers the subwoofer, but this amp has also been removed, with the same result @Belgian_Dude has experienced > no difference

Ali express stepped in and offered me a measly 90 euro refund... which doesn't even cover half of the import and shipping costs.

I don't know what your feedback or experience has been with this company, but to me it's very clear that their only concern & consistency, based on other peoples experiences posted here the last weeks , is selling a product, a very poor designed product at that.

they must have there heads up their **s if they don't realize the consequences of the non existing customer after sales or warranty being posted on rennlist, i doubt anybody from rennlist will buy another headunit from them after reading this.

unless they step up and give full refunds to the people that bought the "top model" and clearly all have the same issues...

a good company would atleast send out another headunit that doesn't have these issues, they don't even bother, they are more concerned not needing to give a refund, scamming the customers.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:51 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

hi all,

technically speaking:
we're running in circles with the ASK amp: T0m has it removed, I've tested without it powered, etc. Using un-amplified outputs is the solution for the Boxster/Cayman where all channels are amplified, not for the ASK situation where 1/ only bass is amplified and 2/ the amp requires relatively high line voltage. There's a white noise issue, period.

I was unable to produce any different behavior with wifi, bluetooth, carplay/aa enabled or disabled. Different issue perhaps?

Hi Quentin

I didn't know re the ask amp on the 911 vs cayman is different.

@myw unless I'm mistaken, I did not read your "full take" on my review. Not to worry, but I'd love your take on this primary question: What made you know that specifically Owtosin is the brand under which they sell "high quality" units? How much detail do you have on their company/ies structure? Do you know which other brands come from the same factory (but may have integrated cpu etc.) ? [/QUOTE]

I was told directly by Bob + the owner of owTowsin in person when I met up with them 3.5 months ago. I asked why there were strange new brands selling the unit, including 2 owTownsin lines.

In the past as you can see from my multiYear post history re these units I have only seen, used and troubleShooted the PX6 line that uses the same hardware and casing as the Xtrons units (which I had learned were the best android units). I was told by them both that all the new brands (herogoes, seican etc) is a lower end line created by the owner using cheaper components so that the main owner can quickly re-couperate their mold costs back for the faceplate. The lower end owTowsin line causing confusion was also created to move units. I have brought to bobs attention over and over again that that is killing the trust of the brand. So the lower end line should be down, but im sure that they just created another brand name.

In fact there were many issues such as the fitment that I was going to tackle with Bob (it took a long time despite giving a very clean + perfect design for the face plate, which was totally ignored which caused the mold to be printed not to my spec - this is the main reason why the ***** look like nipples), expecting to launch it when it was READY to compete against the pccm+.

But the powers that be, didnt really care or even knew what they had on their hands, they just wanted it out the door asap - and get the mold costs back for the faceplate. I was in shock seeing the design being sold under these strange brands and brought it to bobs attention, but he told me that htey were created by his boss as there was pressure to make the mold costs back and that was the the way they were going to go about it. From what I am seeing online, it is indeed the most succesful aftermarket radio for porsche, based on the sales alone - not that I agree with its methods but I can't do anything about it.

Re the difference in hardware between the low + higher end units. Bob who runs the higher end line had sent me this image a while back to share. I shared this on 987 forum a while back.

To be honest, met bob via whatsapp like everyone else that bought the units 3 years ago - when I bought the non-faceplate version.

He was decently helpful, but as I helped troubleshoot practically everything with a few members worldwide on this forum, I msged bob to let him know exactly why he wasnt getting issues solved. He understood, was thankful and came back to me a year later asking me If i had any ideas for a faceplate that would appeal to porsche owners. So I came up with the design ina weekend - to be honest the design is much much better then the final product.

Now regardless of the image that bob had sent me, I had already seen some of these issues on the units with the public end casing - I have been flooded with support requests not just online but just even my friends who have bought units (non owTownsin or owTowsin sister brands) such as the one (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post17943753) I had posted here a year ago as the first buttons and ***** version of aftermarket pcm. Some units the buttons fell off, or the lights stopped working, other things here and there - but most of the issues were almost always public casing hardware casing that pccm+, owtowsin high end, Xtrons DOESNT USE. I mean it could be a coincidence... but when bob explained to me in person how to spot some of the differences between the higher + lower end lines, plus with my own experiences, and of course the rear of the pccm+... it all lined up to me.

Finally, I havent been to the factory, but I have seen videos and have not personally assessed their quality control practises or anything like that.

The main and only reason I am still troubleshooting this stuff is that I have been considering getting my own design, branding, manual, videos, fitment system ETC ETC. and producing these myself where I have FULL control of everything.

Last edited by myw; 05-31-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:57 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 598 Posts

Michael I hope that OwTownsin will pay you for the generous amount of time you have spent as their non-official Tech Support liaison in the US! Its a shame there is so much confusion as they have flooded the market with lesser versions and not kept you in the loop about it
The following 2 users liked this post by eclou:
Graufuchs (05-31-2023), myw (03-22-2024)
Old 05-31-2023, 11:10 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

1) if you have SPP you will need to do the custom wiring harness that has been mentioned on this thread. I have indeed told bob to make one and supply them - but i am not sure how far they are on that.

2) No you will still need the GPS adapter (paul Li) no matter what. Otherwise the buttons wont work. dont forget if you have a .1 you will also need the .2 steering module computer. (i believe the part number ends in XXX.289.01)

Originally Posted by timtams89
Came across this thread a smidge too late, after ordering and installing a Heregoes unit in my 987.2 a few weeks ago. Still hoping to find some clarity with my specific issues.

1. I have the SPP with ASK amp and there's a distinct hiss, lots of GSM interference sounds, and volume is entirely too loud (can't stand it beyond 5 or so). Am I better off with bypassing the ASK amp entirely, or should I re-wire to the unamplified output as an earlier post mentioned? The ASK amp had a slight hiss even with the CDR-30, but nowhere as noticeable as now.

2. If I want to replace my steering wheel (multifunction) with one of the newer 991.2-style multifunction ones, does having an Android head unit do away with the need for a GPS-Adapter if I already have a CANBUS decoder between this and the newer steering wheel?

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!