Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 06:19 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

thanks for the honest review.

I'm going with one of these aliExpress decks since its not buggy (surprisingly) re steering wheel MF controls. hopefully these words dont end up biting me in the a$$.

has anyone with this aliExpress deck also installed the rear view camera + dash cam (that it comes with?)

Originally Posted by propchef
I updated mine just as the Corna thing was starting. I got a Pioneer very similar to the one pictured above. It's certainly a huge upgrade from the PCM unit, but I have some early complaints (more like observations). Keep in mind that since getting this upgrade, I've driven the car only about 100 miles.

Carplay seems to work well except I have a weird bug where the sub doesn't come on if I play Pandora. That's unusual and I just haven't had a chance to take it back to have that checked. Sounds great otherwise.

You'll have to get a sub to have any bass at all in these cars.

I don't like not having an actual volume ****. Too many times already I've tried to change to volume only to change input or screens instead.

Loss of steering wheel controls for the electronics. The interface for this is available but VERY cost-prohibitive. The standard (read: works with every other manufacturer) interface doesn't work. Thank you Porsche. Full Disclosure: I knew this before approving the work.

I love the back-up camera.

I'd do it again without hesitation. I would normally spend a little over an hour a day in the car and I want good daily functionality and sound. I'll be going back soon to improve the front stage and add an amp.

YMMV

Last edited by myw; 04-13-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:41 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

btw guys, for those who are interested in the naviFly porsche pcm... i was scrolling around aliexpress and I may have stumbled upon a better more updated unit by OWTowsin (diff manufacturer). the external bezel looks identical - but based on the specs I am quite sure the OWTowsin is about a year newer then the Navifly.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

while I'm not a pro at this, i compared the top of the line OWTosin (approx 350 shipped) PCM to the top of the line Navifly 2019 PCM (approx 350 shipped).

- OWTosin faster 6 core PX6 cpu running faster clock rates vs the Naively 8 core cpu on slower speeds - its advertised as a faster newer CPU.
- OWTosin wireless carplay is standard vs Navifly you have to pay for the wired Carlplay dongle
- OWTowsin 1280x720 WXGA resolution vs Navifly 1200x600 (note that to get the IPS screen on the OWTowsin its a 15$ option vs IPS panel being standard on the Navifly)
- The OWTowsin supports oem-looking internal hidden TPMS sensors - very useful for 2005 owners such as myself - the Navifly only supports the ugly bulky external tpms sensors (both units are 30-35$ options)
- both are 4gb RAM / 64 GIG ROM
- both have DSP
- OWTowsin i believe has a marginally better radio chip (quickly googled the chipset)
- OWTowsin i believe has a marginally better, newer amp (quickly googled the chipset)

- both units still require 75-80$ fibre optic adpater , while the OWTowsin Canbus is an optional 25$ , and I'm not sure if the Navifly Canbus is standard or not ($20).

Additionally, the OWTosin PCM supports some optional paid upgrades that the Navifly cannot. some noticeable ones include
- bluetooth 5.0 ($5)
- DAB ($35 - is digital audio broadcasting the same thing as satellite radio?)
- anolog tv antenna tuner + remote (lol) ($50) -
- digital tv antenna tuner + remote (lol) (60-70$) - i doubt anyone would buy the cable tuners for a 911 - but for for fun, maybe on an older cayenne or suv i guess some customers would.

Has anyone tried this OWTosin deck? for the pros here that are familiar with and already own the Navifly, am I correct to say this looks to be a newer PCM?

chances are, I'll end up being the north american guinea pig.

Last edited by myw; 04-14-2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:40 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by scadams
Any idea if it's compatible with the OEM Sirius/XM Tuner? I can deal with some loss of PCM 3.0 functionality but Sat radio is all I listen to. Gotta have my NPR anywhere I go.

I wish they had a model with the PX6 (RK3399) Quad-core CPU for our cars. The next best that is available is a PX5 Octa-core CPU. The PX6 has about +33% better performance based on bench scoring on XDA Developers. Woe is me. I also wish these units had higher resolution.
Funny I just noticed this, the PX6 is out. Also has the higher resolution you are looking for 1280x720 WXGA (lowest end HD, but still HD).

There is also the 35$ option of DAB, I am guessing this will receive Sirus/XM.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:55 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

DAB is digital audio broadcast used in Europe, similar to HD radio in US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...o_Broadcasting
Old 04-18-2020, 02:46 PM
ThreeSixNine
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Just to give people an idea of what a Android 8.1, 8 inch floating headunit could look like on a 997. This is going into my STI and I'll cover up the logo. I think I'll do the newest Pioneer headunit without buttons on the Porsche.

You can see a demo of it here

Old 04-20-2020, 07:58 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

ORDERED 2 units - one for me and a buddy

will update re this 2020 osTowsin PCM

here is what i ordered and (including options)
- PX6 cpu
- wireless carplay pcm (wired android)
- dashCam with safety features (lane change + front collision warning)
- 1280x720 WXGA IPS screen
- 4gb RAM / 64 GIG ROM
- DSP
- MOST HUR adapter
- CANBUS adapter
- blueTooth 5.0
- TPMS (internal sensors) - my car is 2005
- DAB - *SKIP this for NA buyers* - removed
- front + rear parking cameras *GET THE NON FISHEYE rear camera for NA buyers* - our bumperettes will reduce he field of view of the fisheye rear camera.

Originally Posted by myw
btw guys, for those who are interested in the naviFly porsche pcm... i was scrolling around aliexpress and I may have stumbled upon a better more updated unit by OWTowsin (diff manufacturer). the external bezel looks identical - but based on the specs I am quite sure the OWTowsin is about a year newer then the Navifly.

while I'm not a pro at this, i compared the top of the line OWTosin (approx 350 shipped) PCM to the top of the line Navifly 2019 PCM (approx 350 shipped).

- OWTosin faster 6 core PX6 cpu running faster clock rates vs the Naively 8 core cpu on slower speeds - its advertised as a faster newer CPU.
- OWTosin wireless carplay is standard vs Navifly you have to pay for the wired Carlplay dongle
- OWTowsin 1280x720 WXGA resolution vs Navifly 1200x600 (note that to get the IPS screen on the OWTowsin its a 15$ option vs IPS panel being standard on the Navifly)
- The OWTowsin supports oem-looking internal hidden TPMS sensors - very useful for 2005 owners such as myself - the Navifly only supports the ugly bulky external tpms sensors (both units are 30-35$ options)
- both are 4gb RAM / 64 GIG ROM
- both have DSP
- OWTowsin i believe has a marginally better radio chip (quickly googled the chipset)
- OWTowsin i believe has a marginally better, newer amp (quickly googled the chipset)

- both units still require 75-80$ fibre optic adpater , while the OWTowsin Canbus is an optional 25$ , and I'm not sure if the Navifly Canbus is standard or not ($20).

Additionally, the OWTosin PCM supports some optional paid upgrades that the Navifly cannot. some noticeable ones include
- bluetooth 5.0 ($5)
- DAB ($35 - is digital audio broadcasting the same thing as satellite radio?)
- anolog tv antenna tuner + remote (lol) ($50) -
- digital tv antenna tuner + remote (lol) (60-70$) - i doubt anyone would buy the cable tuners for a 911 - but for for fun, maybe on an older cayenne or suv i guess some customers would.

Has anyone tried this OWTosin deck? for the pros here that are familiar with and already own the Navifly, am I correct to say this looks to be a newer PCM?

chances are, I'll end up being the north american guinea pig.

photoshopped a mockup!

2020(ish) tech in a 2005 car.

i always needed a dashCam anyways

internal tpms sensors - nice and hidden (perfect for us 2005 guys that dont have tpms)

live values - OBDII readout

XM radio i am guessing.

Last edited by myw; 05-15-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:05 AM
911's
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
ORDERED 2 units - one for me and a buddy

will update re this 2020 osTowsin PCM

here is what i ordered and (including options)
- PX6 cpu
- wireless carplay pcm (wired android)
- dashCam with safety features (lane change + front collision warning)
- 1280x720 WXGA IPS screen
- 4gb RAM / 64 GIG ROM
- DSP
- MOST HUR adapter
- CANBUS adapter
- blueTooth 5.0
- TPMS (internal sensors) - my car is 2005
- DAB
- front + rear parking cameras

photoshopped a mockup!

2020(ish) tech in a 2005 car.

i always needed a dashCam anyways

internal tpms sensors - nice and hidden (perfect for us 2005 guys that dont have tpms)

live values - OBDII readout

XM radio i am guessing.
Surprisingly just few hours before seeing your post i ordered this vary same item on aliexpress. Keep us posted on your install, it will be nice if you could take pictures or video clips on how to install for the rest of us.

Will be interesting to see how the new hardware changes have improved this unit performance in comparison to the older hardware units.

I have requested for mine to be installed with the latest Android OS 10 so to have the hand-free built in google voice commands when driving. The sales team at Owtosin are very helpful and are willing to go that extra mile to assist with customer requirements especially if you communicate with them via Whats-App free internet call.

Last edited by 911's; 04-24-2020 at 12:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 03:35 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

brother thank you for this!!!!! will contact them now as mine hasn't shipped.

Originally Posted by 911's
Surprisingly just few hours before seeing your post i ordered this vary same item on aliexpress. Keep us posted on your install, it will be nice if you could take pictures or video clips on how to install for the rest of us.

Will be interesting to see how the new hardware changes have improved this unit performance in comparison to the older hardware units.

I have requested for mine to be installed with the latest Android OS 10 so to have the hand-free built in goole voice commands when driving. The sales team at Owtosin are very helpful and are willing to go that extra mile to assist with customer requirements especially if you communicate with them via Whats-App free internet call.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:58 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
brother thank you for this!!!!! will contact them now as mine hasn't shipped.
if you are in NA the DAB option is not going to do anything for you as it's a European standard and is not interoperable with anything in NA.

HD Radio in NA is similar but not the same from a interoperability perspective.
irnnr (05-13-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 04:39 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

GOT IT - will remove right away.

THANK YOU

Originally Posted by Tj40
if you are in NA the DAB option is not going to do anything for you as it's a European standard and is not interoperable with anything in NA.

HD Radio in NA is similar but not the same from a interoperability perspective.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:10 PM
dLat
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

how did you paint the ac ctrls or is that part of your mockup?
also, did you make your purchase yet? excited to see what soln u went fwd with.

for everyone else, looks like this was released, i wonder if its only limited to 996/986. at the end of the day its still a double din unit.
View this post on Instagram

myw (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 08:15 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

its a part of mockup, but the AC, pasm control plates are easy to remove and have everything painted. ppl take that stuff apart all the time to fix the climate control buttons. taking apart the oem PCM to have the bezel painted is a completely other ordeal (which i am grateful to avoid for a 15 year old outdated piece of tech).

all the options I purchased are up above in the post (except I removed DAB+) - they are putting the units together at the factory, since i ordered both DSP + IPS screen (which require internal modifications to the units themselves)

Originally Posted by dLat
how did you paint the ac ctrls or is that part of your mockup?
also, did you make your purchase yet? excited to see what soln u went fwd with.

for everyone else, looks like this was released, i wonder if its only limited to 996/986. at the end of the day its still a double din unit.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Xk07NFe43/

Last edited by myw; 04-24-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

I will do my best here. I did ask re Android OS 10 but they are telling me to keep android 9 as its more stable. not sure whats going on or if this is a huge deal as all I really needs carPlay.

I am guessing over time I can update the OS ?

I have requested for mine to be installed with the latest Android OS 10 so to have the hand-free built in google voice commands when driving. The sales team at Owtosin are very helpful and are willing to go that extra mile to assist with customer requirements especially if you communicate with them via Whats-App free internet call.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:20 AM
911's
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

did you contact the sales person "Bob" via Whats-App number that i sent you ?
Old 04-25-2020, 02:54 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

did you contact the sales person "Bob" via Whats-App number that i sent you ?
i did!!! for some reason he kept on talking me out of it....

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!