Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 09:12 AM
Francky
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Belgian_Dude
Sounds like you have an SPP / ASK amplifier ;-)
It needs 12v to start. One wire needs to be repinned or spliced, from memory it's blue and is in pin 5 of the connector and needs to go to pin 2 (antenna 12v). Before splicing anything, check behind the warning triangle in your frunk if there's an amp.
hello Belgian_Dude
thank you for your help, I don’t have an SPP amplifier, ASK yes.
i managed my sound issue before your answer (spliced midrange and woofer speakers) and it worked. I will have to test your solution soon when I will have time to unplugged the doors panels etc.
thanks again
Old 06-29-2023, 09:16 AM
Francky
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arva
Hi!

Did you ordered rhe variant with MOST Optical Fiber Power adapter? I have 997.1 with ASK amp (no Bose) and it's a bit confusing if i need the adapter on not.
I ordered the full package.. but finally did not use the Optical Fiber Power adapter… useless if you only have an ASK amp (no SPP) and do not use the optical wires (orange one)
Old 06-29-2023, 10:22 AM
vokain
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The reviews from pages like 57-59 scared me off from the Otowsin units

sitting here happy with my Mr12Volt as I get to keep my PCM and I have perfect audio due to it being connected to the fiber optics. Absolutely no noise in the signal

I entirely endorse and recommend @Roman ACS and the Mr12Volt CarPlay mods that he is a dealer for. I am very happy with the one he installed for me in my 997.2 tts.

Last edited by vokain; 06-29-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:31 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

what the heck

lemme follow up for you.

Originally Posted by T0m
they haven't refunded anything mate... just a measly 90 dollars because aliexpress forced their hands,

the HU from owtosin i got only came with 1 fakra adapter... & they never suggested to ship the missing hardware i paid for.

i basically got left with a 800 $ paperweight... this whole thing has been ridiculous & dissapointing
Old 06-30-2023, 11:16 AM
Jabamusic
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can anyone confirm which is what?
997.2 No Bose.

2 Facka plugs, one red and one blue coming out of the dash. Which is gps and which is radio?

many thanks
paul
Old 06-30-2023, 06:24 PM
MattRBurns
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power to owtosin unit

Hi everyone,
I’m hoping I can get some help with getting this working. I can’t seem to get power to the unit. I spoke with Owtosin last night but could not get the unit functioning.
I've been reading through the threads and have spliced wires based on install instructions by @myw

I have a PDF attached, showing what I’ve done. I’m hoping someone can shed some light on where I’ve gone wrong. Any suggestions???

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
owtosin wiring.pdf (313.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 06-30-2023, 06:33 PM
vokain
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Just cut your losses
Old 07-05-2023, 10:21 PM
faiz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What is the Rear camera trigger wire colour for 997.1 installation

Sorry for the tangent here but for those who installed an android unit on a 997.1 what colour was the trigger wire to enable rear camera when putting car in reverse? I have read pink or purple but neither colour exists with my unit. See pic attached.

thx in advance.
Old 07-06-2023, 04:20 AM
Jabamusic
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabamusic
Can anyone confirm which is what?
997.2 No Bose.

2 Facka plugs, one red and one blue coming out of the dash. Which is gps and which is radio?

many thanks
paul

Actually, there are 3 aren’t there! A black one as well!!!!

Suggestion’s anyone?
thanks
Old 07-06-2023, 11:31 AM
Mr. Tasty
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vokain
Just cut your losses
adding negative value to this conversation, nice
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 07-09-2023, 06:34 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by faiz
Sorry for the tangent here but for those who installed an android unit on a 997.1 what colour was the trigger wire to enable rear camera when putting car in reverse? I have read pink or purple but neither colour exists with my unit. See pic attached.

thx in advance.
not seeing your pic, but when looking at the main/large 16-pin black plug which connects to the HU, it's 2nd in from the black ground wire -- see below. It was a light brown on the units from Heregoes on AE.

Old 07-09-2023, 06:50 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Just installed a Heregoes UIS7862 based unit in @jonan 's 997, complete with reverse camera. Since his car is a manual and has a non-auto-dimming rear view mirror, we had to tap the reverse trigger directly from the rear body module under the driver seat, as the reverse wire (black with blue stripe) was not present in the bundles behind the kickpanel by the fuse box. We ran the trigger wire behind the fuse panel and along the back carpet, along with the reverse camera wiring (signal + power) which came in via the driver side tail light grommet. The reverse camera input plug did not come with the camera power wire for some reason (all the other 7862 units I've installed for other cars do) so needed to add a wire there, but not much of a hassle considering everything else

Next time the bumper is off, will probably install a small shim on the back end of the camera so it points outward a little further, assuming it bothers @jonan enough to do so =D

Headunit was loaded with a customized OS build (boot logo, animation, kernel, apps, launcher, background icons, etc) and app to remap the physical buttons.

The following 2 users liked this post by MattDevoCustoms:
Graufuchs (07-14-2023), myw (03-22-2024)
Old 07-09-2023, 10:30 PM
F1 Kevin M
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 14 Posts

Reading about all of these issues makes me think that PCCM+ is really a better solution (and if time is money, probably cheaper than any of these android options).
Old 07-09-2023, 10:38 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by F1 Kevin M
Reading about all of these issues makes me think that PCCM+ is really a better solution (and if time is money, probably cheaper than any of these android options).
I think that highly depends on your use case. If you read the PCCM thread in its entirety, there's no shortage of complaints/issues there, just different ones. And the PCCM is also an Android-based unit, just a much older one (Android 6 vs Android 10/11/12). Porsche has certainly done a decent job smoothing out the rough edges and providing a reasonably plug/play kit, but at the end of the day you're paying quite a bit more and getting a less (or at least differently) capable unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by MattDevoCustoms:
Francky (07-10-2023), myw (03-22-2024)
Old 07-10-2023, 12:03 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
I think that highly depends on your use case. If you read the PCCM thread in its entirety, there's no shortage of complaints/issues there, just different ones. And the PCCM is also an Android-based unit, just a much older one (Android 6 vs Android 10/11/12). Porsche has certainly done a decent job smoothing out the rough edges and providing a reasonably plug/play kit, but at the end of the day you're paying quite a bit more and getting a less (or at least differently) capable unit.
Plus you are paying the absurdly inflated Porsche tax ($1600) for what is essentially an Aliexpress unit with some rough edges removed (as Matt well put it). Porsche should be embarrassed by this offering IMO, but they don't seem capable of shame. The Porsche tax is supposed to mean "genuine Porsche" not cheap Chinese crap.

Apologies from derailing the thread a bit as I know know this is 997.1 focused but let me throw this out there for the experts...

Looking at an upgrade for my 997.2 (PCM 3.0) and I have to think the best choice at this point is the Carplay upgrade to the factory unit, though the $500 price tag for Mr 12 Volt is still way too high compared to what you get. There's what looks like a generic version of the Joyeauto unit now on Ebay for around $325. The Joyeauto unit itself is around $380.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364298056051

There's also another version on Aliexpress that looks like it omits the additional box and incorporates its functions into the circuit board installed in the unit for around $235. At least that's what I gather as the description isn't real clear but there's no additional box shown.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805289910291.html

Anyone know anything about these? Nearly all this stuff is way over priced IMO (as compared to the prices for other cars) as sellers know they can get away with it since Porsche owners are used to be screwed over. Looking to find the lowest cost, reliable Carplay upgrade.

Last edited by PV997; 07-10-2023 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!