Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 10:19 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
i will get back to working on this project - it has been stalled due to color matching issues re the .1 faceplate.

and there are some bugs that may/may not be resolved with the current android 12 OS that it runs on.
Looks like the unit is now available.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

Last edited by PapaC4S; 12-18-2022 at 10:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PapaC4S:
Bavarian 997 (12-19-2022), brintinla (12-19-2022), myw (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:39 AM
brintinla
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it does everything it says, seems like pretty great value.
The following users liked this post:
myw (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 09:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

I wish I could my friend, but I can't. My apologies as I have never tested this aspect of the unit.

I only was able to trouble shoot all the installation issues from the first generation unit, which gave me the chance to design this unit re the aesthetic's.

I would assume it is all standard android hardware. For what it's worth, the screen is awesome, the modern features are great for my needs, and passes for oem - looks wise.

I do think the oem pccm+ is a great unit (certainly learned a few things) - but I do love having a front camera, integrated dash cam, integrated tpms (as my car is 2005)... and my girlfriend certainly enjoys VLC viewer + netflix on the maxxed out 8" screen during certain long car club cruises.

I'm happy there are options for everyone.

Originally Posted by PapaC4S
Looks like the unit designed by MYW is now available.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

MYW They said it would provide 4V RCA outputs. Can you confirm this?

Thanks

Last edited by myw; 12-20-2022 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:53 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by brintinla
If it does everything it says, seems like pretty great value.
the BEST - I'm saying this as I bought the first gen unit in 2020 having done lots of research - you can see my posts here in this thread imo from 2.5 years ago.

There are more features today, with newer hardware and this is THE most factory looking aftermarket unit that's ever been released for our cars, until I start working on the next one.

I'm in contact with them to see if I can offer a code that can further help.

Will do my best to update in 24-48 hours.

Last edited by myw; 12-20-2022 at 01:37 AM.
brintinla (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 03:29 AM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rickpriceuk
OK so it gets more interesting.

Made a call on Bluetooth, not using Wireless CarPlay. Perfect sound. Hook up CarPlay, sound gone.

There are no setting I can see on the phone but obviously Android 9 and iOS 16 don’t talk to each other.

Tapping the newly-installed mic with my hand made no noise at the other end so I think the unit is using the built-in mic, not that from the rear. I have disconnected the rear mic and will try tomorrow to see what the call quality is like.

very odd.

Richard
SOLUTION:

The CarPlay settings in the factory menu have a selector for audio ‘loop back’ - None, Left, Right. Mine was set to right. Switched to ‘none’ and all works perfectly.

myw (02-28-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 03:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by scadams
My only real complaint is ZLINK for Apple Carplay occasionally starts automatically even though I have it disabled. And in order to update it I’d have to root the rom which I’d rather not mess with.
late reply - it can be disabled in the secret menu (pw '126') - i have mine disabled

ps - is your car pdk or manual?

Last edited by myw; 01-21-2023 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:30 PM
trban8r
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
the BEST - I'm saying this as I bought the first gen unit in 2020 having done lots of research - you can see my posts here in this thread imo from 2.5 years ago.

There are more features today, with newer hardware and this is THE most factory looking aftermarket unit that's ever been released for our cars, until I start working on the next one.

I'm in contact with them to see if I can offer a code that can further help.

Will do my best to update in 24-48 hours.

Just got your new unit installed in my 987. I’ve only had it for half a day but so far it’s been great, save for some minor bugs that required a reboot of the system. Two questions though:
  1. Does this new revision solve the issues with the internal mic being used vs the external in CarPlay? I’ve done a call or two and I’ve heard complaints about my voice being hard to hear so I’m assuming no.
  2. Is there any way to reprogram what the buttons do? I’ve been digging around the settings and the factory menu but haven’t been able to find anything yet.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:35 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

nice to have options

Old 01-21-2023, 05:59 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,746 Likes on 1,739 Posts

So all I need is this head unit and the harness and optical adapter for my ,05 997.1 w/Bose ?

Plug-n-play? Sounds to good to be true.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
So all I need is this head unit and the harness and optical adapter for my ,05 997.1 w/Bose ?

Plug-n-play? Sounds to good to be true.
make sure to buy the canbus adapter as well. go thru the thread carefully but most of the tech hasnt changed fundamentally in the past few years.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s#post17543994

also use MYWOCM coupon code - its very good value as is but i was able to try to squeeze just a little more - get the most memory + fastest cpu to best future proof.

the videos of this read + the one i designed in all its stages has been on FB 997 "retrofit + modifcation" thread for months now - you will find it all there.

Last edited by myw; 01-21-2023 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:11 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 598 Posts

Trying to figure out if I order the latest link in Grey do I have to purchase the optional wireless carplay or does it come with it in the order? So far I picked the largest memory unit with MOST adapter and rearview camera in the Porsche light bracket. Then I added a CANBUS adapter and the front camera as extra
myw (02-28-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:10 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by eclou
Trying to figure out if I order the latest link in Grey do I have to purchase the optional wireless carplay or does it come with it in the order? So far I picked the largest memory unit with MOST adapter and rearview camera in the Porsche light bracket. Then I added a CANBUS adapter and the front camera as extra
if you get the 6/128 qualcam cpu, wireless carplayy is built in.

get the fibre optic adapter + canbus, and i would get 2 drill in ahd cameras (front and rear).

i would ask bob directly for the drill in camera that michael uses (looks oem) and is totally hidden - i used the same drill in camera as a front camera as well - you will have to drill it into the bumper but it even comes with the cutting tool and is very easy.

i HATED the camera that goes into the light bracket - it sticks out and doesnt look factory.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:39 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Hiya

when did you receive this unit? Do you have any photos of it during the daytime? I approved of the color match about a month ago re the volcano grey - but i am trying to further tweak the paint match.

As for your questions
1) is the external mic not attached?
2) buttons (and steering wheel) - are fully programmable

steering wheel buttons are programmed in - 'steering wheel key' app
unit buttons are programmed in the secret car factory menu - need to use code 126 to access.

Originally Posted by trban8r

Just got your new unit installed in my 987. I’ve only had it for half a day but so far it’s been great, save for some minor bugs that required a reboot of the system. Two questions though:
  1. Does this new revision solve the issues with the internal mic being used vs the external in CarPlay? I’ve done a call or two and I’ve heard complaints about my voice being hard to hear so I’m assuming no.
  2. Is there any way to reprogram what the buttons do? I’ve been digging around the settings and the factory menu but haven’t been able to find anything yet.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:53 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

some more photos of the .1 grey version - for those who are picky about the color match.

it is not 100% but it is closer then the unit from 2022. while very minor, i will try to get it tweaked further for the next iteration.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:14 AM
leloupgris
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey @myw ,
This looks very nice and I am looking at changing my current setup either by another Android base HU or by the PCCM+. But to be honest, I am finding it very very hard to justify the price when for a third or less I can have something with more functionality with an android HU.
I installed when I first got my car a XTRONS unit (this XTRONS unit). While I find it integrates well within the dashboard, I have several complains with it:
- Alternator whine: don't know if it's due to the MOST adapter that is of bad quality or the unit itself, I never managed to get rd of it. Any tip would be welcome.
- No physical buttons AT ALL. So for volume management is very impractical as I have no steering wheel controls, specially when using android auto/car play.
- It's black. This is a mixed one as I like it black but it looks less OEM.
- I need a separate module for Android Auto/Car play.

I also have a light plate mounted camera, but it is a low res one, so it does the job but looks ugly on the big screen. So, due to the above mentioned reasons (specially the lack of physical buttons and the alternator whine that drives me nuts), I am looking to change it and while browsing for the PCCM+ I came across your unit. Do you have a link? Is this one that you posted in December?
I will definitely change the camera as well as part of the upgrade, I saw on this thread and others that AHD cameras exist.

Las question, I saw that on the new PCCM+ there was a MOST unit that is able to keep fader. Do you know if the Chinese copy hit the market yet? My guess is no.
Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!