Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 02:55 AM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtm7
I am curious as to how you came to this conclusion. You removed the RCAs from the MOST adapter and still had the noise. However, disconnecting the RCAs from the MOST doesn't take the Head unit out of the circuit, if you are getting power and/or ground from the head unit(or the same source as the head unit).
Please read the next sentence that I wrote after the one you quoted, where I said the same thing that you wrote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:48 PM
dLat
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

@pv997 and everyone else, i got my steering wheel controls from the porsche macan steering wheel to work with my PX6 china android head unit. well... caveat:

i had to install the adapter from German Performance Service (gpsadapter) with the oem 987.2/997.2 steering wheel control module for my 987.1

regarding MF - my volume works right away, but the other buttons do not.

perhaps volume works by default but all the other multifunction buttons need to be programmed by turning on MULTIFUNCTION via PIWIS?
The following users liked this post:
myw (01-27-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:37 PM
dLat
Intermediate

update-
all buttons work except for two (at this point im biased towards my steering wheel buttons having a hardware issue).

had to go to factory settings > change steering wheel control to detect from canbus.

from there i have the wireless carlink dongle, using autokit.apk (so no zlink or box or the other alternatives for carplay).

then, i needed to program the steering wheel controls on the android head unit, to buttons that would not interfere with the android head unit.
so MODE = opening the radio app. <- this is a bad programming choice and you'll see why in next paragraph.
HANGUP = no action because im not in a phone app.

then i go to the autokit apk, and setup the key programming (beta) under the advanced settings.
from there i get it to recognize the buttons such as HANGUP and further map them to my liking (such as right left controls).

it's a big work around so here's a flowchart:
PORSCHE MACAN STEERING WHEEL WITH MULTIFUNCTION KEYS > 987.2/997.1 STEERING WHEEL CONTROL MODULE > DEALER HAS TO PROGRAM AND ENABLE MULTIFUNCTION CONTROLS > PROGRAM CHINA ANDROID HEAD UNIT TO RANDOM BUTTONS > PROGRAM CARPLAY AUTOKIT APK TO READ THE RANDOM BUTTONS.

and now, my steering wheel can control the carplay app.

the two buttons that dont work are
1. downpress on the right wheel
2. back button on the right multifunction key

i think.. sadly.. my used macan steering wheel may have the above two keys defective.
The following 2 users liked this post by dLat:
myw (01-27-2020), PV997 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:42 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great info, thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by dLat
...control the carplay app
Which app are you using for Carplay?

Actually, maybe I should ask which USB/dongle hardware you're using, and then your reference to Autokit APK might make more sense to me.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:55 AM
dLat
Intermediate

"Carlinkit Wireless Smart Link Apple CarPlay Dongle for Android Navigation Player Mini USB Carplay Stick with Android Auto"

Be warned, connection is shotty- either i think the wifi/bt on the dongle is crap
or iOS/Apple hasn't perfected their wireless carplay connection yet.

And of course- there is 0 support from our friends at Aliexpress
Old 02-02-2020, 04:58 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

The vendors on Aliexpress are generally not the manufacturers of the head units. So they are pretty much useless in most cases. If you can find out from the vendor who the actual manufacturer is, and their contact info, you might have some luck. I bought a head unit for my Jaguar from Kanor on Aliexpress, and they were able to tell me that the manufactuer was "Merryway". I was able to contact the manufacturer and get information from them that I needed for a few issues.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:00 PM
JesseBertone
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great write up - where did you get your external mic from? where did you mount and route your wires?
Also interested in this!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:33 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

thanks for the info here - i am next.

Thanks for this pv997 - looks like i will leave the dynavin black and paint the climate control stuff and pieces under it black. it should match-ish (i hope).

i've always hated the volcano grey pcm color anyways, but was hoping to paint it all gloss black or cobalt blue/gt silver. matte black will have to do. i may just get the body shop to do it gloss black.

does that 'line' at the bottom of this navifly pcm light up? I am guessing those short wires going to the head unit in the bezel has something to do with that (i could be totally wrong).

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by PV997
I tried to remove it and got it loose but it turns out there is something embedded in the bottom of the bezel with very short wires going directly into the head unit. There's no way to unplug it as the wires have no slack, the bezel only separated from the HU chassis by a millimeter or so. I think it may be the AM antenna in the bezel.

You might be able to open the chassis and disconnect the wires. I was already worried I might have damaged them so I gave up before I trashed it completely.

I masked the whole thing off and painted it that way. Definitely a hassle.
​​​​
Originally Posted by PV997
No and I looked quite a bit. Painting is really tough, it's pretty much impossible to match the metallic gray color. A pro could probably get it close but the cost would be close to that of the HU itself. The bezel cannot be removed (I tried) so you can't replace it with one of the pre-painted aftermarket bezels.

If I had to do it over again I would probably leave the HU bezel black and live with it. I have black interior though so it wouldn't have been that noticeable.

Last edited by myw; 02-17-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:01 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

should it not be this Navifly carplay dongle? or do they all work ? My apologies as I am not familiar with this stuff

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...archweb201603_

"Carlinkit Wireless Smart Link Apple CarPlay Dongle for Android Navigation Player Mini USB Carplay Stick with Android Auto"

Be warned, connection is shotty- either i think the wifi/bt on the dongle is crap
or iOS/Apple hasn't perfected their wireless carplay connection yet.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:39 PM
Amorallity
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, you have a great Porsche 911, and you have made a great choice with a Head unit. It looks like an original one. If I didn’t know how that year Porsche looks inside, I would think that it is the original one. You have a car of the dream dude, which never gets old. Actual it is really hard now to find a good double din Head Units. I had Passat b6 2006 and it had rcd300 when I bought it. It didn’t have Bluetooth and the display was looking very old. Firstly I thought to take original rcd510 from Touareg, but they were too expensive and had less performance than new Pioneer double dins. I have read a lot of reviews and chose Pioneer AVH-211EX and I am very satisfied with it.

Last edited by Amorallity; 02-25-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:16 PM
ThreeSixNine
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi,

any updates on these headunits? Are you happy with them? I just want something modern where I can bluetooth the music from my iPhone and that doesn't decrease or increases the sound quality from my Bose system in my 997.1

I am either debating a touchscreen pioneer unit such as this;

or getting the android headunit mentioned in this thread. I would also like to get FR/RR backup cameras and have heard that the headunit can make the biggest difference in sound quality - I am a little worried about the android unit because of this.

In terms of links, I have found these;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...ff17811dab37d3

https://www.navi4all.com/en/product/...oxster-cayman/

Can anyone show videos of their units in operation? What would you do if you could start again?
Old 04-12-2020, 09:03 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

i have to order mine still.

from what i've read if you want to remove the bezel easily (and have it painted to match the climate controls etc. like in the above photo) buy the 4g version NOT the 2g. the 4g version the bezel comes off easily via 4 screws - nothing more to it.

this is based on those whom I have chatted with whom have bought both units here as well as the FB 997 forums.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:10 AM
dLat
Intermediate

^could you take a picture of where the screws are for your particular head unit?

seems like asia loves to make very similar head units and every one of them varies little by little.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:26 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

i wish i could.

the 2gig owner that stated the that the bezel cant be removed (from this thread) is the OP here or one of the main contributors of this thread who has bought the unit.

the 4gig owner that stated it was 4 screws is on the 997 enthusiast / modification forum. i asked him on more then one occasion to confirm that it was removable and he confirmed that it was 4 screws and that it was the 4gig version he had.

he had the trim plate as well as the climate control stuff all painted together.

he cant take a photo now I would imagine as the car and pcm has been put back together, but when its my turn I will remember to take photos and add here.

^could you take a picture of where the screws are for your particular head unit?

seems like asia loves to make very similar head units and every one of them varies little by little.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:49 PM
propchef
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeSixNine
Hi,

any updates on these headunits? Are you happy with them? I just want something modern where I can bluetooth the music from my iPhone and that doesn't decrease or increases the sound quality from my Bose system in my 997.1

I am either debating a touchscreen pioneer unit such as this;

or getting the android headunit mentioned in this thread. I would also like to get FR/RR backup cameras and have heard that the headunit can make the biggest difference in sound quality - I am a little worried about the android unit because of this.

In terms of links, I have found these;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...ff17811dab37d3

https://www.navi4all.com/en/product/...oxster-cayman/

Can anyone show videos of their units in operation? What would you do if you could start again?
I updated mine just as the Corna thing was starting. I got a Pioneer very similar to the one pictured above. It's certainly a huge upgrade from the PCM unit, but I have some early complaints (more like observations). Keep in mind that since getting this upgrade, I've driven the car only about 100 miles.

Carplay seems to work well except I have a weird bug where the sub doesn't come on if I play Pandora. That's unusual and I just haven't had a chance to take it back to have that checked. Sounds great otherwise.

You'll have to get a sub to have any bass at all in these cars.

I don't like not having an actual volume ****. Too many times already I've tried to change to volume only to change input or screens instead.

Loss of steering wheel controls for the electronics. The interface for this is available but VERY cost-prohibitive. The standard (read: works with every other manufacturer) interface doesn't work. Thank you Porsche. Full Disclosure: I knew this before approving the work.

I love the back-up camera.

I'd do it again without hesitation. I would normally spend a little over an hour a day in the car and I want good daily functionality and sound. I'll be going back soon to improve the front stage and add an amp.

YMMV

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!