Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 06:01 PM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim997
I'm in the same boat. The other advice to solve the whining is twist the power and ground around each other, which I did but I don't think well enough. Have you tried that (I haven't yet, but will if and when I get my car back from another issue I'm having)? It's my impression that they should be somewhat tightly twisted the entire length they're together.
you could be right. I ended up unplugging and resetting the unit and it started working again. I'm assuming that the wires on these units are very sensitive so any movement might cause the whining issue. I ended up moving the ground to where I had it which was a 10mm bolt behind the cigarette outlet by the foot area that looks like bolts to some part of the frame (its silver in color) that ground seemed to work way better for me.
The following users liked this post:
Tim997 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:03 PM
nsurg
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still stuck with a nonworking system. I think the FO 3 plug loop is intact, I checked it with a laser pointer and they all seem to work fine.
I have a hard time believing that a FO loop harness failure would limit bluetooth.
I suspect the device is not powering up or is broken. Again, my 12v wires are functioning fine with voltmeter testing. Can anybody confirm that the device is bluetooth discoverable with only plugging in to active 12v? My lack of bluetooth discoverable status seems to indicate no power in the device, and I also suspect a mr12volt device without power will fail to complete the fiber optic circuit leading the failure message on the PCM indicating no amp.
Should I try a different device?
Thanks
Old 09-26-2020, 04:45 PM
Skypalace
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In my pic in post #394 way back of how I solved whine by regrounding and twisting the power leads, you can see that black and red (ground and +12v) are very close, wrapped around each other.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15901467

The reason is that alternator whine on power leads is proportional to loop area, which is basically the distance between the cores of the two leads, times the length of a ‘twist’. So having them loosely twisted (and the leads physically separated) is as bad or worse than not having tight twists. Reasonably tight twists (in my pic it’s only 2” or so, not super tight, but the leads are alongside each other and thus distance between them is minimal.

I chose a ground bolt attached to the ‘cage’ as it’s much less likely to get radiated noise than tapping into a a ground wire that’s potentially a ways away from its source of ground, and it was a fairly close to the +12v source to reduce loop area.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:54 PM
nsurg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
The no amp may be indicating a break in the FO loop somewhere?
well, this was in fact the problem as far as I can tell... I ended up buying an entirely new unit and after subbing the box there was no improvement, but after subbing the MOST 3 way cable it worked very soon. Odd that it wouldn't even pair bluetooth without a working MOST cable, but that seems to have been the problem. I did test the non-working MOST cable and was able to see light transmission through all ports, I don't get it.

So to confirm the prior, my 997.1 turbo with nav/bose/sub and no CD changer works straight up. Easy phone pair, phone works through the PCM screen and dialing buttons, no need for the dealer to mess around with programming, all works great. I got the enfig mic which was a bit pricey but I realize it's a custom made piece and that works really well too.
I installed it behind the PCM and put the mr12volt box shoved down a slot behind the PCM that ultimately goes behind the AC control electronics.

I twisted the power cable like a crazy man, and I don't seem to have any alternator whine (grounded behind the trim piece under the passenger side)... I didn't drive it but with engine on and revving I can't hear noise through the stereo. I do get some mild whine with bluetooth pairing, not related to engine rev or on/off status, but it's only present with really high volume and music paused. I can live with it (and I'm picky), and the sound obliterates the tranzit blu device! I never had great sound with tranzit blu, and the tranzit blu had a loud non-alternator noise and it was always waaay too quiet.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

Last edited by nsurg; 09-30-2020 at 10:56 PM.
qikqbn (10-01-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 12:26 AM
nsurg
Intermediate

Hey, I ultimately have an unused mr12volt unit now with everything included OTHER THAN the 3 way MOST loop. If anybody wants to buy it, please PM me. It is tested and working. It is possible to buy the 3 way MOST loop separately at this website https://www.mr12volt.com/accessories?product_id=57
Old 10-02-2020, 09:57 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I’ve had my LA Power hooked up for quite awhile at this point. Every thing word properly. For the past month unexpectedly the music will switch from my cell phone music library to one radio station for no reason. Has anyone experienced any behavior like this?
Old 12-28-2020, 02:09 PM
hehe
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can somebody explain to me how does receiving a call work with the Mr12Volt unit?
So if I am listening to the radio on the original PCM unit (not internet radio on my phone) and I get a call, does the PCM unit display the incoming call?
Or do I have to listen to the internet radio on my phone in order to be able to receive calls while driving?
Old 12-28-2020, 03:04 PM
AIrey1507
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by hehe
Can somebody explain to me how does receiving a call work with the Mr12Volt unit?
So if I am listening to the radio on the original PCM unit (not internet radio on my phone) and I get a call, does the PCM unit display the incoming call?
Or do I have to listen to the internet radio on my phone in order to be able to receive calls while driving?
it basically behaves as if it were the built-in telephone module. Regardless of source you are playing from, the PCM starts "ringing" (can be very loud btw, but I think adjusting volume **** during ring sets the ringer volume) and allows answer/hang up using the telephone buttons on the PCM. Same thing with dialing - I can be using just the FM tuner, hit the phone button, punch in a number and hit the phone button again and it will cut out the radio, dial phone number and start ringing via the car speakers.
hehe (12-28-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 06:58 PM
tinroof
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

It works really well for the most part. I get a lot of spam calls but that's not the fault of Mr12Volt. It rings over whatever you are listening to. If your volume is down it still rings but you need to increase the volume to hear the caller after you answer. To answer you hit the phone button on the upper left of the PCM control panel.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:59 PM
tinroof
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BaileyII
I’ve had my LA Power hooked up for quite awhile at this point. Every thing word properly. For the past month unexpectedly the music will switch from my cell phone music library to one radio station for no reason. Has anyone experienced any behavior like this?

I haven't experience that behavior.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:18 PM
lazyfatdog
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Need some help with my install. 2006 C2S had a Dension Gateway 500 installed by a previous owner. The GW500 was for the old style 30 pin iPod connector, no BT and was installed in the frunk. Was working fine when I uninstalled it to change it to the Mr12Volt. The GW500 was installed with two older style "splices" on the fiber optic ring and the fiber optic input is hardwired (permanently installed) into the GW500. There are "female" fiber optic cable ends going into the GW500 (see first picture) and the "male" ends going to the rest of the car are plastic as opposed to the metal ends that were on the loop that came with the Mr12Volt (second picture). You can also see that the ends of the cable going to the rest of the car don't match each other, as the shapes are slightly different. The clear plastic end looks like the same shape as the metal ends (just plastic), but the white plastic end looks slightly different.

For my install, I opened the splices, removed the ends that go to the car and inserted them into a female plug (with the little blue tab). The both went into the plug, but I only heard a "click" with the clear plastic end. The white plastic end went in and is held in place firmly by the blue tab, but no click. I bought a male plug loop online and used that instead of the female plug loop provided with the Mr12Volt. Then proceeded to follow the rest of the instructions as stated. Power everything on and get the "amplifier not found message" from the PCM. Okay, based on my review of this thread, I'm thinking the problem is either: (1) power to the Mr12Volt; or (2) and issue with the fiber optic ring. So to troubleshoot, I pull out the PCM, remove the new 3-way fiber loop that adds the Mr12Volt, and plug the original connector back into the PCM. So now my fiber loop is (PCM) to (Amp) to (CDC Removal Loop) and back to (PCM). No dice, same error message. I'm thinking that means it is a problem with the fiber loop and that my efforts to undo the GW500 weirdness and get back to normal plugs were unsuccessful. Perhaps the plastic ends of the fiber loop don't sit in the plug correctly so I am not getting a good connection?

Any suggestions? I can't find anything online that looks like the original Dension female ends, but if I could find that, I could just create a spliced loop. Trying to avoid reinstalling the Dension GW500.

Different looking male fiber ends that go to the rest of the car:

Old 01-07-2021, 07:37 PM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

@lazyfatdog I recall that at least one of the folks on the thread also had a Denison installed and replaced it with MR12Volt/LApower. Might be worth pinging him.

the MR12Volt has lights, so you should be able to check to see whether or not it’s powered up.

I’m not familiar with the Denison fiber optic connectors, so won’t be much help on that front.

wondering if you can just disconnect the MOST cables going to GW500 and connect them to the loop connector that comes with the MR12Volt and then used the splicer on the Amp rather than on the PCM.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:50 PM
lazyfatdog
Intermediate

Thanks 8Kabove. Here is what I have in the frunk now. I've also (temporarily) removed the Mr12Volt from the system. So as far as the PCM knows, neither the CD Changer nor the Mr12Volt are in the car. With just the PCM and the Amp (and the loop pictured below) on the chain, will the PCM work? I should at least be able to listen to the radio, right? My thinking is that once I am confident that the fiber optic circuit is working as it should, then I will go about installing the Mr12Volt and making sure it works.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:58 PM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyfatdog
Thanks 8Kabove. Here is what I have in the frunk now. I've also (temporarily) removed the Mr12Volt from the system. So as far as the PCM knows, neither the CD Changer nor the Mr12Volt are in the car. With just the PCM and the Amp (and the loop pictured below) on the chain, will the PCM work? I should at least be able to listen to the radio, right? My thinking is that once I am confident that the fiber optic circuit is working as it should, then I will go about installing the Mr12Volt and making sure it works.

For reference, check posts #116 and #117 that have a schematic for the MOST FO ring setup.

What were those FO cables plugged into previously? The GW500?

Are you getting any errors on the PCM w/ the GX500 and MR12Volt disconnected? I don’t believe you should. I believe the PCM should power up w/ no errors.

Solid logic to make sure the FO cable loop is working w/o the GW500 first and go from there.

Last edited by 8KaboveMSL; 01-07-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:11 PM
lazyfatdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8KaboveMSL
What were those FO cables plugged into previously? The GW500?

Are you getting any errors on the PCM w/ the GX500 and MR12Volt disconnected?

Solid logic to make sure the FO cable loop is working w/o the GW500 first and go from there.
Correct, those FO cables were plugged into the GW500 previously, but not directly. If you look at picture #2 in post #596 you can see one of the "splice boxes" that these FO cables went into. The other end of the splice box went to the input/output of the GW500.

Yes, unfortunately I am getting the error with the GW500 and the MR12Volt disconnected. If the PCM should play without anything where the CD Changer (and GW500) used to be, then I've got to think my newly created FO plug connection is bad. I can fiddle with the connector and see if I can get it to seat better, but I wonder whether I can find another FO cable that has two female ends like the GW500 had. That way I could just reuse the "splice boxes" instead of the plugs.

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?