Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:39 AM
99-911
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi everyone

Glad to find this thread as I'm looking for bluetooth hands free & music streaming solution.
my 2003 Boxster came with CDR-23, BOSE system but NO CD Changer..
I'd appreciate the input about the install in my specific setup as most of the installs shared in the thread were for newer 9x7 PCMs..

Thank you..
Old 06-03-2019, 10:03 AM
lex524
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been reading this thread - immensely useful!

I have a 997.1 with CDC, Nav and Phone. Putting the unit in the current phone location seems a neat approach. I like the idea of using a fuse tap - which fuse would I use? Never put one in before, but feels better than splicing the existing power leads... Is it easy to run wire back to the unit from the fuse box?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2019, 02:59 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lex524
Been reading this thread - immensely useful!

I have a 997.1 with CDC, Nav and Phone. Putting the unit in the current phone location seems a neat approach. I like the idea of using a fuse tap - which fuse would I use? Never put one in before, but feels better than splicing the existing power leads... Is it easy to run wire back to the unit from the fuse box?

Thanks
If you are mounting the new LaPower unit in the old phone module location, its much easier and cleaner use the 12 volt power and ground leads that are already in the factory phone module harness. You will be in that harness anyway getting access to the MOST ring and you can do it cleanly so it could be changed back later. I don't remember the color of the 12V + and ground wire in that harness but you can locate these with a tester or the shop manual wiring diagram. Do you self a favor and take out the right side seat instead of just tilting it back, it will be a lot easier. Remember to keep everything mounted under the factory phone module mounting plate or the seat mechanism will hit.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Skypalace
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FYI I had my unit for a while but finally installed. Great instructions. That should be a pinned link, perhaps in/from the first post, along with the updates w/ the new MOST harness as instructions still have the old harness. The only problem was that I had no MOST, I unplugged and replugged all the connectors and it started working.

I did have noticeable alternator whine upon initial install. I did two things, one (or both) of which fully solved the whine - no hint now, even w/ radio cranked on null input.
1) Moved the LAPower ground wire from the 12v cig lighter brown negative wire, to a separate ground. I used a screw holding a trim piece, see pic.
2) Twisted the LApower red and black (neg and power) leads together along their length.

The following 2 users liked this post by Skypalace:
jayi836 (07-10-2019), Moedavis (07-08-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 11:16 AM
sPaCePiR8
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all,

Very insightful thread about the LA Power adapter. I have ordered one and will be installing it in the coming weeks. Plan is to put it behind the PCM and draw power from the cigarette lighter, however I was wondering whether that might cause me any problems if I'm putting the car on a Ctek charger at some point? I usually have something connected to keep the car's battery healthy during the winter months which is charging the car via the cigarette lighter, just curious if anything can happen to the adapter if is connected to the cigarette lighter and an electric charge is coming in the "wrong direction", i.e. going into the cig lighter?
If anyone else is using a Ctek or other charger and has the adapter installed drawing power from the cig lighter, it would be great to hear from you.

Best wishes
Old 06-13-2019, 03:37 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

there are a few blank unused power outlets in the fusebox that is switched on/off only when the car is on (not constantly switched on such as the cig lighter) - i would highly recommend using one of those instead. I have used one of those as I have installed a switched phone charging port that only is powered on when the car is on - search previous threads here re installing car cameras and similar accessories, the fuses to use will be there (as well as ideal spots to ground as well).

if you tap into the cig lighter to power the LA power you will cause a parasitic drain on your battery - even when the car is off with the alarm set ON. Another suggestion is go over the tranzitBluHF install thread - the exact wire to tap into the PCM harness (thats switched on only when the car is unlocked) is another suggestion to tap into the power.

EDIT - C1 & C5 are the fuses for for a switched power (only on when your car is on full accessory mode) - use either of these.

Originally Posted by sPaCePiR8
Hi all,

Very insightful thread about the LA Power adapter. I have ordered one and will be installing it in the coming weeks. Plan is to put it behind the PCM and draw power from the cigarette lighter, however I was wondering whether that might cause me any problems if I'm putting the car on a Ctek charger at some point? I usually have something connected to keep the car's battery healthy during the winter months which is charging the car via the cigarette lighter, just curious if anything can happen to the adapter if is connected to the cigarette lighter and an electric charge is coming in the "wrong direction", i.e. going into the cig lighter?
If anyone else is using a Ctek or other charger and has the adapter installed drawing power from the cig lighter, it would be great to hear from you.

Best wishes

Last edited by myw; 06-16-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:12 PM
Derek Ng
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so much info, will have to try this out
Old 06-17-2019, 01:37 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

The thread was provided to me by an Ebay seller of this adapter as he could not provide a PDF of the product's installation manual. While I have read the thread from beginning to end, some of the entries in the abstract are rather confusing. Most above are pleased with the product and think it's even better than the Denison unit costing three times more. The other thing noted in most of the postings is that many of you have more sophisticated hardware consisting of Bose Nav/Phone units with some sort of display. Mine is the rather pathetic CDR 24 radio w/o CD deck in a 987.1 2008 Boxster S. In reading about the Denison, it seems that (with my CDR 24) it offers only inputs for the ipod and analog devices, but NO BT or phone utilities. The vendor tells me that this product is compatible with my CDR 24, but little else. If purchased, would I have the same limitations as the Denison unit? Has anyone here done an installation on a Porsche with the CDR24 and, if so, what were the results?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TEF
The thread was provided to me by an Ebay seller of this adapter as he could not provide a PDF of the product's installation manual. While I have read the thread from beginning to end, some of the entries in the abstract are rather confusing. Most above are pleased with the product and think it's even better than the Denison unit costing three times more. The other thing noted in most of the postings is that many of you have more sophisticated hardware consisting of Bose Nav/Phone units with some sort of display. Mine is the rather pathetic CDR 24 radio w/o CD deck in a 987.1 2008 Boxster S. In reading about the Denison, it seems that (with my CDR 24) it offers only inputs for the ipod and analog devices, but NO BT or phone utilities. The vendor tells me that this product is compatible with my CDR 24, but little else. If purchased, would I have the same limitations as the Denison unit? Has anyone here done an installation on a Porsche with the CDR24 and, if so, what were the results?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter.
Since the BT function is provided by the LaPower or Mr12Volt unit, I can't see why it wouldn't work on your CDR24 radio.
As long as you have the MOST fiber ring, it should work.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2019, 06:22 PM
sPaCePiR8
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
there are a few blank unused power outlets in the fusebox that is switched on/off only when the car is on (not constantly switched on such as the cig lighter) - i would highly recommend using one of those instead. I have used one of those as I have installed a switched phone charging port that only is powered on when the car is on - search previous threads here re installing car cameras and similar accessories, the fuses to use will be there (as well as ideal spots to ground as well).

if you tap into the cig lighter to power the LA power you will cause a parasitic drain on your battery - even when the car is off with the alarm set ON. Another suggestion is go over the tranzitBluHF install thread - the exact wire to tap into the PCM harness (thats switched on only when the car is unlocked) is another suggestion to tap into the power.

EDIT - C1 & C5 are the fuses for for a switched power (only on when your car is on full accessory mode) - use either of these.
Thanks for the point regarding the power drain - will keep that in mind. Should have added in my initial post that I have a 996 TT, not a 997. Any idea whether there are similar unused outlets in that one? Have not gotten into the weeds of the electronics on that level yet...
Old 07-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Moedavis
Track Day

Thanks for the tip about the whine, I switched the ground and now it’s quiet.

Originally Posted by Skypalace
FYI I had my unit for a while but finally installed. Great instructions. That should be a pinned link, perhaps in/from the first post, along with the updates w/ the new MOST harness as instructions still have the old harness. The only problem was that I had no MOST, I unplugged and replugged all the connectors and it started working.

I did have noticeable alternator whine upon initial install. I did two things, one (or both) of which fully solved the whine - no hint now, even w/ radio cranked on null input.
1) Moved the LAPower ground wire from the 12v cig lighter brown negative wire, to a separate ground. I used a screw holding a trim piece, see pic.
2) Twisted the LApower red and black (neg and power) leads together along their length.

The following 2 users liked this post by Moedavis:
8KaboveMSL (12-29-2020), jayi836 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:43 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

hey guys just to confirm - if i have the 6 disc cd changer i do lose the functionality of it correct?

also most of you guys bought from eBay seller correct?

im goign to remove my pcm to get it painted, i figure while everything is apart i will remove the tranzit bluHF and install the laPower instead.

thanks guys

The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:08 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Your call, but I would simply replace the CD changer with LA power unit in the frunk. This is what I did and it continues to work perfect. No need to do anything on the inside.
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Moedavis
Track Day

Can someone point me to the correct wire to tap into the pcm power source? Currently I'm tapped into the power port on the passenger side and am worried about drain on the battery.
I have a 2006 PCM 2.1 with Nav and no CD.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:57 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Your call, but I would simply replace the CD changer with LA power unit in the frunk. This is what I did and it continues to work perfect. No need to do anything on the inside.
oh WOW - this is awesome to know. but i would still have to route the microphone from the trunk to the back i would assume.

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?