Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 02:02 PM
AirShox EU
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How is the interface and navigation?

Greetings, Could someone please put on or link a video to the actual navigation of the Bluetooth streaming and hands-free via PCM 2.1. Just a basic video how a man does it via PCM screen/buttons. ​​​​​​I have a 957 with PCM 2.1 and currently using Dension GW500. However Bluetooth hands free is a separate add on unit, Bluetooth receiver connected to the analog aux-in is always introducing static if not powered via USB power bank... Nowhere near all in one plug and play device. I am thinking of switching it with Mr12v ​​​​
Old 04-20-2020, 03:21 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

For those that have installed this and the TranzIt Blue HF, would you say the installation difficulty is the same? I recently did the TranzIt Blue myself, and it came out fine. But I'm not entirely thrilled with the audio quality. I have Bose, and also know I'd need to have the dealer enable the cd changer function, but anything else I should be worried about? Thanks!
Old 04-20-2020, 04:25 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
For those that have installed this and the TranzIt Blue HF, would you say the installation difficulty is the same? I recently did the TranzIt Blue myself, and it came out fine. But I'm not entirely thrilled with the audio quality. I have Bose, and also know I'd need to have the dealer enable the cd changer function, but anything else I should be worried about? Thanks!

Yes, If you were able to install tranzit blue then this would be a walk in the park. Similar steps of removing head unit, plugging in cables, tapping in to a power source, and running a mic cable. There are lot's of good tips in this thread as far as where to mount or tap into power. If you have a CD changer in the frunk, then removing that cd changer will free up some frunk space, save some weight, and also use those existing power wires and optic cable..
Old 04-20-2020, 04:59 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Yes, If you were able to install tranzit blue then this would be a walk in the park. Similar steps of removing head unit, plugging in cables, tapping in to a power source, and running a mic cable. There are lot's of good tips in this thread as far as where to mount or tap into power. If you have a CD changer in the frunk, then removing that cd changer will free up some frunk space, save some weight, and also use those existing power wires and optic cable..
No cd changer but this is helpful. I also ignored the mic cable for the TranzIt Blue (and likely would do the same here). Thank you for the response!
Old 04-20-2020, 05:07 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Highly recommend you tap ground wire here to eliminate whine....

for the whine, I followed the tip here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15960225
I attached the ground wire to the metal and no more whining sound.
The following users liked this post:
seoulshakers (08-30-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 05:48 PM
AirShox EU
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the whine, I followed the tip here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15960225
I have NO whine when listening to USB or AUX (device not charging). However if I install Bluetooth receiver or charging the 3.5mm AUX source there is static brum (not alternator whine).
I will try to rewire ground and twist both wires but it is a different device - Dension Gateway 500.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:07 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Does it matter that the ground is sandwiched between that fabric trim piece and the metal frame?
Old 04-20-2020, 07:57 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Does it matter that the ground is sandwiched between that fabric trim piece and the metal frame?
I was only referring to Mr12volt install for whine...
Old 04-20-2020, 08:07 PM
NickRay
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have one of these that they want to part with?
Old 04-20-2020, 08:38 PM
loklee
AutoX

I have an old Mobridge unit which only is working to power and play my iPod nano via 30 pin connector. if I switch to this lapower unit, will I lose that? I think I can play it via the aux port to headphone jack...
but will I lose the charging through 30 pin connector and also the control function of the iPod via the pcm?

Old 04-20-2020, 08:40 PM
NickRay
6th Gear

Yes, you would lose that functionality. You would have to stream music through Bluetooth to retain the PCM track info. The generic MOST boxes do not have any Apple codecs on their firmware.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:45 PM
NickRay
6th Gear

Originally Posted by loklee
I have an old Mobridge unit which only is working to power and play my iPod nano via 30 pin connector. if I switch to this lapower unit, will I lose that? I think I can play it via the aux port to headphone jack...
but will I lose the charging through 30 pin connector and also the control function of the iPod via the pcm?
Jealous that yours is working actually, my Mobridge ABT2010 has constant MOST loop drops so it's useless.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:52 PM
loklee
AutoX

yep I have the same unit and had a hard time using the Mobridge when I got my 911. i took out the pcm and found the optical connection to the pcm was lose, so plug back in and the iPod started connecting. but the bt function doesn't work properly...it pairs and phone calls work. but no music streaming properly. that issue is why I'm switching to this lapower/mr12volt unit. also there is a notable hum and beeping at medium to high volumes whether the car is moving or standing still, but I guess this has been discussed in other threads.

no biggie on losing the iPod functionality as long as bt streaming works. I guess its just a bit of nostalgia sometime using my old iPod.

thanks.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:20 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Okay, I now think I have read every post in this thread. Mine is on order and I have a quick question.

I have an 08 C2S with Bose, Nav, and phone. It sounds like I can install this in the phone module location and I won't even have to remove the PCM. So my questions are:

1. Is that right, no need to remove PCM?
2. Did anyone ever identify ground/power lines for the phone module harness (i.e., what colors I am tapping into)?
3. Do I still need to have the dealer disable the phone function?
4. Do I remove the phone module completely? If so, where do the three MOST plugs go if there's no phone module for the return of the MOST loop? Does one of them get the bypass loop?

Alternatively, it sounds like I could do the behind PCM install and "loop" the phone module with the supplied bypass loop (the thing others were using on their cd-changer). Is that right? And if so, I'd still need to go have the dealer code out the phone, right?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Alfnado; 04-23-2020 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fastdriving (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:38 PM
fastdriving
8th Gear

Dear all,

I am having a hard time trying to get this device installed. Tried to read the whole thread, but cannot identify myself with any of the issues that some of you found while installing it.

In my case, it says "Navigation System Not Available" and the led of the device won't turn on. Here are my steps:

1. Did the bypass on the CD changer
2. Disconected the original fiber optic plug from the PCM
3. Connected the original fiber optic male plug from the PCM into the Mr12Volt female
4. Plugged one of the two Mr12Volt male plugs into the PCM
5. Connected the other Mr12Volt male plug into the Mr12Volt device
6. Used the 12v power outlet in passenger foot well as source for the device

I can see that the fiber optic reaches the device as it has a red light, but the device won't turn on. If I remove the male plug from the Mr12Volt while the radio is connected, it disconnects.

If someone can help me would I highly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance!

Car info: Porsche Boxster S 987 / PCM 2.1 / Bose / Integrated Telephone / CD Changer

Last edited by fastdriving; 04-24-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?