Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 04:47 PM
fastdriving
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also interested in someone's advice on this! Didn't know that it was possible to do this without even touching the PCM...
Old 04-24-2020, 04:56 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdriving
Dear all,

I am having a hard time trying to get this device installed. Tried to read the whole thread, but cannot identify myself with any of the issues that some of you found while installing it.

In my case, it says "Navigation System Not Available" and the led of the device won't turn on. Here are my steps:

1. Did the bypass on the CD changer
2. Disconected the original fiber optic plug from the PCM
3. Connected the original fiber optic plug from the PCM into the Mr12Volt female
4. Plugged one of the two Mr12Volt male plug into the PCM
5. Connected the other Mr12Volt male plug into the Mr12Volt device
6. Used the 12v power outlet in passenger foot well as source for the device

I can see that the fiber optic reaches the device as it has a red light, but the decive won't turn on. If I remove the male plug from the Mr12Volt while the radio is connected, it disconnects.

If someone can help me would I highly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance!

Car info: Porsche Boxster S 987 / PCM 2.1 / Bose / Integrated Telephone / CD Changer
Did you bypass the phone module?
The following users liked this post:
fastdriving (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:59 PM
fastdriving
8th Gear

No I didn't for now, haven't seen anything related in the manual. I am totally lost on this so maybe that is the issue...
Old 04-24-2020, 05:57 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

Dear all,

I am having a hard time trying to get this device installed. Tried to read the whole thread, but cannot identify myself with any of the issues that some of you found while installing it.

In my case, it says "Navigation System Not Available" and the led of the device won't turn on. Here are my steps:

1. Did the bypass on the CD changer
2. Disconected the original fiber optic plug from the PCM
3. Connected the original fiber optic male plug from the PCM into the Mr12Volt female
4. Plugged one of the two Mr12Volt male plugs into the PCM
5. Connected the other Mr12Volt male plug into the Mr12Volt device
6. Used the 12v power outlet in passenger foot well as source for the device

I can see that the fiber optic reaches the device as it has a red light, but the device won't turn on. If I remove the male plug from the Mr12Volt while the radio is connected, it disconnects.

If someone can help me would I highly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance!

Car info: Porsche Boxster S 987 / PCM 2.1 / Bose / Integrated Telephone / CD Changer

I noticed that the "BT / Fiber optic" mini lights that are on the Mr12Volt do not light up right away with just adding power. You need to have power, fiber optics, and turn on the car ignition for these little mini lights to light up. Freaked me out at first and thought I had a bad unit when they didn't light up right away. When everything is hooked up correctly and ignition turned on Mr12Volt should light up.

ok... Your procedures sound correct. it should not be too difficult to screw up the 3 optic cable connectors and sequence. My only thoughts...

The error would normally be "cd changer" not available since that is how Mr12Volt function operates.. So navigation not available seems very strange. Do you have navigation gps on your pcm? did you accidentally loosen or unplug wire that runs to your navigation dvd in frunk??

I would try starting vehicle. See if the Mr12volt powers on and your pcm goes through it's boot up.

oh...
Highly recommend you tap ground wire here to eliminate whine....

for the whine, I followed the tip here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15960225
I attached the ground wire to the metal and no more whining sound.

fastdriving (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 06:57 PM
fastdriving
8th Gear

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I noticed that the "BT / Fiber optic" mini lights that are on the Mr12Volt do not light up right away with just adding power. You need to have power, fiber optics, and turn on the car ignition for these little mini lights to light up. Freaked me out at first and thought I had a bad unit when they didn't light up right away. When everything is hooked up correctly and ignition turned on Mr12Volt should light up.

ok... Your procedures sound correct. it should not be too difficult to screw up the 3 optic cable connectors and sequence. My only thoughts...

The error would normally be "cd changer" not available since that is how Mr12Volt function operates.. So navigation not available seems very strange. Do you have navigation gps on your pcm? did you accidentally loosen or unplug wire that runs to your navigation dvd in frunk??

I would try starting vehicle. See if the Mr12volt powers on and your pcm goes through it's boot up.

oh...

for the whine, I followed the tip here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15960225
I tried to start the engine and still cannot see the light in the device. Also tried to go back to original installation and the PCM works fine, the navigation error disappears and can use gps as normal.

Contacted the seller on Amazon, but haven't received an answer to this issue yet.

Thanks a lot for the advice.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:58 PM
fastdriving
8th Gear

Originally Posted by qikqbn

oh...

I tried to start the engine and still cannot see the light in the device. Also tried to go back to original installation and the PCM works fine, the navigation error disappears and can use gps as normal.

Contacted the seller on Amazon, but haven't received an answer to this issue yet.

Thanks a lot for the advice.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:45 PM
fastdriving
8th Gear

Guys, bluetooth is working! But couldn't get rid of the navigation system error.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2020, 07:53 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Guys, bluetooth is working! But couldn't get rid of the navigation system error.

Any thoughts?
Was it installed as the last fiber optic device in your loop?

fastdriving (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 07:56 PM
fastdriving
8th Gear

Originally Posted by kellen
Was it installed as the last fiber optic device in your loop?
Sorry my knowledge of electronics is subzero and I am not sure what are you referring to. You mean if I plugged the fiber optic plug into the PCM the last thing? If that is the case, yes I did it this way and the very last would be the power plug.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:08 PM
fastdriving
8th Gear

It shows like this. Why numbers 2 to 5 are not available? Is that correct?

Old 04-25-2020, 03:19 AM
Stush
1st Gear

I have a 2008 997 C2 Cab RHD (I'm in Sydney) with Bose, NAV and CDC and I'm starting out on this project. My first step was to follow the YT video (youtu.be/zHu2CGlbNrk?t=285) of the fibre bypass loop of the CDC.
However I can't get to the fibre connector, as it's obstructed by the NAV. I can see on the passenger side, in front of the bulkhead the fibre optic connector that heads back to the cabin, so I could loop that, but then I guess I'd be bypassing the CDC and the NAV. Any words of wisdom to just bypass the CDC?

Old 04-28-2020, 07:28 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Has anyone ran a USB/Aux extension to somewhere convenient and non-invasive? Saw that one person had put one in their console but wasn't sure if anyone had come up with anything else. I'm giving it some thought but was curious if anyone else had tried something.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:26 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Got mine installed today. Total improvement over the TranzIt Blue HF. Still thinking about where I might put an USB/Aux extension but super happy with this for now. Probably going to relocate my ground too once my terminal connectors show up in the mail. And on that note, if anyone wants a TranzIt Blue HF for a deal, hit me up. It's a month old...
Old 05-02-2020, 03:28 PM
cayenne2008
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...I left my tranzit in.... love mr12 though
Old 05-02-2020, 07:37 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I could not figure out a way to get enough access to ground at the red arrow below (picture stolen from earlier in thread). So instead I used a circular crimp terminal, slipped it behind the T30 threaded bracket, and bolted everything up (see purple circle below for location). Was this a bad idea? Fire hazard? Oddly, when I tried to slip the crimp terminal where the red arrow screw is, the MR12v refused to recognize that it was grounded.

Last edited by Alfnado; 05-02-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?