Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 12:44 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim997
Thank you! With your help, I got the PCM out.

I thought you meant the entire plastic "tail" would come out, but then the little fin in the middle pulled right out, exposing the first torx to be removed. One thing to add; there are actually two torx screws to remove. The first holds the aux power in as you described, and the second hold the subwoofer in. I've put a picture of the second one below. Unfortunately I ran out of light and so my PCM is still out of the car; I just got the enfig mic placed, but have to run the wires and tap the fiber and power for the bluetooth unit. Unfortunately the plastic tabs at the very top of both side trim pieces of the PCM broke off--I didn't think I pulled too hard, but perhaps I did--or they were already broken. Anyway, my suspicion is that it won't matter since those pieces are also head by two torx.

I was surprised to see that it appears Porsche used some sort of power tap instead of a proper splice behind the PCM. The last picture is of what appears to be a factory tap?
At first I thought it was something aftermarket, but the power tap when into a silver Porsche control box that sits behind the PCM.

Thanks!

The aux power piece without its plastic fin.

The plastic fin removed from the aux power plastic piece.

The top of the subwoofer--one more Torx to remove.

Closeup of the torx that has to be removed to get the cab subwoofer out.

Seems like an odd solution for power from the factory, no?
was going off memory for the removal. glad it worked out!!
not sure what those clips were for but that's not factory... that must have been left over from previous owners install of something

follow our previous suggestions for power and ground solutions to avoid ground wire whining noise

Last edited by qikqbn; 08-05-2020 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:26 AM
Tim997
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qikqbn
was going off memory for the removal. glad it worked out!!
not sure what thosr clips were for but thats not facory... that must have been left over from previous owners install of something

follow out previous suggestions for power and ground solutions to avoid ground wire whining noise
Thanks again! The spliced wires go to a silver box; I'll grab a picture of it--but it's got a Porsche label on it. I'd definitely like to figure out what else has been installed.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:53 PM
Tim997
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my install done last night; I'm super excited to have it working. I did run into an issue; I only squeezed the included power tap connector with my fingers, and I don't think that was enough to make a connection, so it didn't have power. I kept getting the "no nav, no amp" issue, and figured it had to be a lack of power based on what I'd read in this thread. Before I realized the actual cause, I managed to blow the aux power fuse (and not realize I'd done so) incorrectly trying to test for voltage. I finally swapped over a good fuse (stole one that seems to be for tiptronic, which I don't have--and hopefully don't need, but a replacement 7.5 fuse is coming tomorrow), squeezed the power connector with pliers, and voila, it's working. Odd thing is that my aux power (which I tapped for the power) isn't working...not sure why (perhaps an issue with the ground--I grounded the bluetooth unit as per the suggestion above), but in truth, I don't care, as I have nothing that uses aux power anyway (I had to dig out an old CB radio to even try it).

Also, I figured out what the power splice behind my PCM is; it's a "Porsche Musicplayer Interface," which I had assumed was a stock component--I wasn't aware that Porsche dabbled in add-on's like this. From what I read here on Rennlist, it was an overpriced FM modulator--the need for which is eliminated with the install of Mr. 12 Volt. I probably should have removed it, but didn't.

Between this and my hideaway hitch (for a 1up bike rack), my Cab is set to go. Thanks again all!
The following users liked this post:
qikqbn (08-05-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:36 PM
andino
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts

Picked up a Mr12v after all the positive feedback here to replace my tranzit blu. Has anyone else ordered from the Mr12v website? How long did it take to arrive from them?
Old 08-08-2020, 09:34 AM
nellis50
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m new to this forum and not sure how to reply or contact individual contributors? I’m hoping this gets to T.Hasse regarding the phone sound only coming through the passenger side speaker with the LaPower device. Did you find a solution to that? I have the same issue. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:53 AM
nellis50
6th Gear

I see my post didn’t go to T.Hasse but maybe someone has solutions to my two problems with Mr12volt installation on 2006 911. First, phone volume only comes through right side speakers and second, radio displays navigation error. May have been some solutions through this forum but I haven’t seen them. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:43 AM
nellis50
6th Gear

I see my post didn’t go to T.Hasse but maybe someone has solutions to my two problems with Mr12volt installation on 2006 911. First, phone volume only comes through right side speakers and second, radio displays navigation error. May have been some solutions through this forum but I haven’t seen them. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:35 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 187 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by TEF
Last year I posted the above and now considering the rental of Duramettic s/w. However, the software has the capability of accessing numerous features with some that I'd like to leave as is. I seem to recall a very useful posting having to do with a Porsche various audio options, but I am not sure of the wording needed to search out the posting. From what I remember, there were several on/off options allowing the CDR23 radio to access a CD player (or Mr12v). In short, its my intention that the rental of Durametric s/w not do more harm than good. Any help with this is appreciated.

BTW, using my phone's BT, I can see and link up to the Mr12v so the unit has dc power, Also, the radio/amp works fine so I believe the optical circuit including the Mr12v is fine. Therefore the only variable seems to be the programming of the CDR23 radio using Durametric s/w. If there's anything I missed, please let me know. Thanks.
Found this on the 996 site:Your CDR23 is listed as compatible with Mr12Volt so it should work. That's frustrating. Many of us purchased ours from ebay from this seller: leica4lifeus

I would try contacting that seller and maybe he can have a quick response for you.

I don;t have a cd changer so this apparently won't work for me.

You don’t need a changer, but you have to go to the dealer and get it enabled apparently. The Bluetooth emulates the cd changer to use Bluetooth so the changer gets disconnected.

I went through this and the dealership couldn't find the setting so I got my own PIWIS2 and did it myself.
If you go there tell them the setting is in CDR23/PCM -> Repairs and Maintenance

http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 08-08-2020, 07:54 PM
nellis50
6th Gear

Thank you for this! Because this car is new to me (two weeks), I didn’t realize I don’t have a cd changer in the boot so I removed the jumper Mr12volt furnished and that corrected the navigation system. Now my only issue is the phone only comes through the right side speaker. So the setting you’re suggesting, would that have anything to do with the phone output? Also, can you tell me what is PIWIS2? I appreciate your sharing.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:52 PM
lew20vt
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I installed my LAPower today with no issues. Bluetooth paired up right away. I plugged an old iPod into the USB plug, and it didn’t play. Do I have to do something to switch between BT, aux and SD? Other than that easy install and sounds great.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:01 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by lew20vt
I installed my LAPower today with no issues. Bluetooth paired up right away. I plugged an old iPod into the USB plug, and it didn’t play. Do I have to do something to switch between BT, aux and SD? Other than that easy install and sounds great.
the usb port is for a flash drive usb stick only. you could run a usb extension cord to a conveniet location if you think you will need to swap out usb stick often.

you can also have an sd card with 5 folders and 99 songs in each. than a usb flash drive with another 5 folders.

to access the different commands you must select "change mode" which will be listed under disc 5 of the pcm disc selection page. keep changing modes . it will be in this order:

-sd card
-usb
-aux
-blue tooth

Last edited by qikqbn; 09-05-2020 at 07:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gary911 (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 07:20 PM
lew20vt
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qikqbn
the usb port is for a flash drive usb stick only. you could run a usb extension cord to a conveniet location if you think you will need to swap out usb stick often.

you can also have an sd card with 5 folders and 99 songs in each. than a usb flash drive with another 5 folders.

to access the different commands you must select "change mode" which will be listed under disc 5 of the pcm disc selection page. keep changing modes . it will be in this order:

-sd card
-usb
-aux
-blue tooth
​​​​​​​Qikqbn - thanks for the quick and helpful response

Last edited by lew20vt; 09-05-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:22 PM
gary911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Have had mine for three years. Works great. Stream music from my phone all the time now.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:11 AM
nellis50
6th Gear

A question you. Does the hands free phone volume come out of speakers on right and left? I assume it does (mine doesn’t). So I was wondering who you purchased yours from? I can’t get any response from the seller I Purchased from Nor the Mr12volt people. I am also assuming the LaPower and Mr12volt are the same device which may be wrong. thanks.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:43 AM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Thought I would jump in as I have a mr. 12 volt that I bought recently and never used. I think I paid $135. Let me know if you have an interest

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?