Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 08:06 PM
Tipo33
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this unit still being sold? I cant seem to find it on Amazon?
Old 09-25-2021, 10:38 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Tipo33
Is this unit still being sold? I cant seem to find it on Amazon?
Mr12volt
Old 10-30-2021, 04:33 PM
swang
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I install in the frunk in 986

This is by far the most useful thread I’ve read about this! Thank you guys!

I see some have managed to install the module completely in the frunk, is this something only doable in a 997? I have a 2004 986 boxster, with CDR23, MOST and frunk CDC, no nav or phone module.

Is the CDC’s interface the same in a 986? Would be a perfect solution if I don’t have to do anything behind the dash, I don’t really care about the mic, only thing I need is streaming music from my phone.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:17 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by swang
This is by far the most useful thread I’ve read about this! Thank you guys!

I see some have managed to install the module completely in the frunk, is this something only doable in a 997? I have a 2004 986 boxster, with CDR23, MOST and frunk CDC, no nav or phone module.

Is the CDC’s interface the same in a 986? Would be a perfect solution if I don’t have to do anything behind the dash, I don’t really care about the mic, only thing I need is streaming music from my phone.
It is worth a shot. As long as there are optical cables and you should be able to use the power source wires already feeding the cdc. Keep us posted!

Just make sure to adjust the dip switches on mr12volt in order to work with cdr 23
Old 10-31-2021, 12:40 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
It is worth a shot. As long as there are optical cables and you should be able to use the power source wires already feeding the cdc. Keep us posted!

Just make sure to adjust the dip switches on mr12volt in order to work with cdr 23
I'm going to order the Mr. 12v and try the same thing shortly. I have a Tooki unit installed for the phone, which works pretty good, but want the ability to stream music via something other than an RF modulator. My C4S has the CD changer and Nav units in the frunk. I'd like to pull both of those to gain a bit more room and potentially squeeze the BT unit in somewhere out of sight.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:39 PM
swang
2nd Gear

oh…what is the din switch, Don’t remember seeing it on this thread, what do I need to do? I thought the newer version is pure plug and play?
Old 10-31-2021, 05:18 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swang
oh…what is the din switch, Don’t remember seeing it on this thread, what do I need to do? I thought the newer version is pure plug and play?
I think it's DIP switch #2 you move to the opposite position to disable the Bluetooth phone profile in the unit.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:44 PM
sgd
3rd Gear

Default Buzzing noise only while using phone or Siri

Hi mumintrollet,

Did you ever solve your buzzing noise issue? Mine's doing the same when using the phone. Playing music over bluetooth is fine. I'm testing with the engine off so I don't think engine interference is the problem.

Buzzing noise also happens for me if I activate Siri - makes me think it might be something to do with unit listening for my Siri voice command or talking on the phone. i.e. microphone is active.

(With phone mine also only comes out of right hand speaker - I think this might be normal - I see others on this forum mentioning that.)

Thanks for any info

Originally Posted by mumintrollet
Great info everyone!

Finally got my installed this weekend, only one problem when I make a phone call it only sounds in the passenger side speakers, and it's also this buzzing noise in the background.

any ideas?

Thanks/N
Old 01-15-2022, 12:29 AM
onnastick
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I just got my first Porsche a few weeks ago (2006 C4S cab), and just started reading this forum recently. I have considered getting a whole new modern head unit installed and a backup camera. Since that's a bit of money, while I decide on that I purchased a cheap bluetooth to FM transmitter from Amazon so I could listen to my phone in the car.

BUT after reading this thread, it reminded me that each time I was going into my phone to get it paired up to that transmitter, I kept seeing something called "Car Kit" as well. I had imagined at the maybe I was close to a neighbor or something else. But this made me think maybe a previous owner installed one of these LAPower / Mr12Volt things. So today, I tried to pair to "Car Kit", played some music, then on the PCM I pressed CD and then CD again. Sure enough, now the screen said "iPhone," showed my signal level, and was playing the music. Looks like I can shove that FM transmitter in a drawer... I am so pleased! Now... not sure if there is actually any purpose for me trying to track down where the physical box was installed to which I am paired. Is there any benefit? I don't really care about plugging in a USB drive with music, or having an aux port to plug into.

Oh, and I guess I need to try a phone call and see whether that works. No idea if there is a mic installed that is wired into this thing... if so it's a pretty clean install.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:43 AM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onnastick
I just got my first Porsche a few weeks ago (2006 C4S cab), and just started reading this forum recently. I have considered getting a whole new modern head unit installed and a backup camera. Since that's a bit of money, while I decide on that I purchased a cheap bluetooth to FM transmitter from Amazon so I could listen to my phone in the car.

BUT after reading this thread, it reminded me that each time I was going into my phone to get it paired up to that transmitter, I kept seeing something called "Car Kit" as well. I had imagined at the maybe I was close to a neighbor or something else. But this made me think maybe a previous owner installed one of these LAPower / Mr12Volt things. So today, I tried to pair to "Car Kit", played some music, then on the PCM I pressed CD and then CD again. Sure enough, now the screen said "iPhone," showed my signal level, and was playing the music. Looks like I can shove that FM transmitter in a drawer... I am so pleased! Now... not sure if there is actually any purpose for me trying to track down where the physical box was installed to which I am paired. Is there any benefit? I don't really care about plugging in a USB drive with music, or having an aux port to plug into.

Oh, and I guess I need to try a phone call and see whether that works. No idea if there is a mic installed that is wired into this thing... if so it's a pretty clean install.
"Car Kit" is the BT identifier for the Mr12v bluetooth unit, which will do both phone and music to the PCM. Odds are good that the unit itself is mounted behind your PCM, and the microphone (if it was installed) is either up next to your rear view mirror, or down by the steering wheel cowling.

Here's a link to the unit you probably have: https://www.mr12volt.com/products/mr...-2-1-cdr-23-24

I replaced a combo of a Tooki for phone and an old built-in RF modulator my car came with with this unit a few weeks ago. So far it has been flawless.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:27 PM
onnastick
Advanced

Originally Posted by sburke91
"Car Kit" is the BT identifier for the Mr12v bluetooth unit, which will do both phone and music to the PCM. Odds are good that the unit itself is mounted behind your PCM, and the microphone (if it was installed) is either up next to your rear view mirror, or down by the steering wheel cowling.

Here's a link to the unit you probably have: https://www.mr12volt.com/products/mr...-2-1-cdr-23-24

I replaced a combo of a Tooki for phone and an old built-in RF modulator my car came with with this unit a few weeks ago. So far it has been flawless.
So I don't see the unit but wishing to avoid taking apart the console just to find out if indeed that's what it is. I am pleased I can listen to audio from my phone because I wasn't expecting that and never would have tried pressing the CD button twice if I hadn't found this thread and noticed the "Car Kit" in the BT pairing list. That said, I did try a phone call with the ignition on and the engine off. I was able to hear the other end fine, but they could not hear me at all unless they turned it all the way up and put the phone right next to their ear. So with the car running and at speed, I doubt it will be usable. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to switch the PCM to a different mode? I don't actually see the microphone so not actually sure where it's located. It doesn't seem to be near the rear view or visor area.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:57 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 170 Likes on 117 Posts

So I don't see the unit but wishing to avoid taking apart the console just to find out if indeed that's what it is.
Best way to confirm is to look at the module and see if a mic is plugged in. The fact that the other end could hear something indicates there is a mic present.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers

Last edited by RennKit-Dave; 01-16-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:44 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

If you have a C4S then it is possible that the previous owner removed the cd changer in the frunk and put the MR12Volt and plugged in the mr12volt there. Take a look in your frunk and see if there is a cd disc changer still in there. If not, it may be hidden in the DVD/navigation box that is against the frunk wall. It is easy to remove the DVD/Navigation cover. just pull straight up!
My guess is that the Mic may have been unplugged or tucked away somewhere out of sight. maybe it fell into the steering column, but no way to know for sure without finding that module. keep us posted.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:45 PM
onnastick
Advanced

If you have a C4S then it is possible that the previous owner removed the cd changer in the frunk and put the MR12Volt and plugged in the mr12volt there. Take a look in your frunk and see if there is a cd disc changer still in there. If not, it may be hidden in the DVD/navigation box that is against the frunk wall. It is easy to remove the DVD/Navigation cover. just pull straight up!
My guess is that the Mic may have been unplugged or tucked away somewhere out of sight. maybe it fell into the steering column, but no way to know for sure without finding that module. keep us posted.
I checked the frunk and didn't see anything obvious. The DVD box is still there, not sure if there is a CDC. BUT when looking around for the mic and looking all around the steering column, I happened to find our candidate I think UNDER the steering column. Apologies for not being able to get a great view with the camera, but this appears to be a Mr12Volt or perhaps one of its similar predecessors. And that port on the left with a cable coming out is labeled Mic (just cut off from the angle I had to take). But, without taking this apart and possibly more, I won't easily be able to trace out where that mic cable is routed. In any case, I tried making a couple more test calls with the engine off and I was told it sounded okay. So maybe I just need to try it on the road and see. Still, it would be nice to know where the mic is, especially if it needs to be moved.

Finally, on a related note, it sounds like the call audio is only played through the right speakers, which are of course further from me and harder to hear. Is that expected? I compared that to listening to music from my same phone via BT streaming, which plays out all the speakers. Adjusting CDC balance during music from BT phone makes a difference, but doesn't do anything for adjusting the call audio. Any thoughts?

Old 01-20-2022, 05:45 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

I checked the frunk and didn't see anything obvious. The DVD box is still there, not sure if there is a CDC. BUT when looking around for the mic and looking all around the steering column, I happened to find our candidate I think UNDER the steering column. Apologies for not being able to get a great view with the camera, but this appears to be a Mr12Volt or perhaps one of its similar predecessors. And that port on the left with a cable coming out is labeled Mic (just cut off from the angle I had to take). But, without taking this apart and possibly more, I won't easily be able to trace out where that mic cable is routed. In any case, I tried making a couple more test calls with the engine off and I was told it sounded okay. So maybe I just need to try it on the road and see. Still, it would be nice to know where the mic is, especially if it needs to be moved.

Finally, on a related note, it sounds like the call audio is only played through the right speakers, which are of course further from me and harder to hear. Is that expected? I compared that to listening to music from my same phone via BT streaming, which plays out all the speakers. Adjusting CDC balance during music from BT phone makes a difference, but doesn't do anything for adjusting the call audio. Any thoughts?

those orange wires look like optical cables to the mr12volt. Looks like you found it There have been many similar experiences with phone calls only coming out or right side speakers. this seems to be a hit or miss situation. Some calls are all speakers and others only one side. It is an inconvenience, but not sure what the fix would be. Unless some one else can chime in.

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?