Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 01:50 AM
nsurg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been spending some time on this thread and I can't find answers to a couple questions. Any help would be appreciated!
I have a 2008 997 turbo with factory navigation and unused sim card/phone. I do not have a CD changer.
1) can I install a mr12v since I have Nav (but I don't have CD changer)? Website says "CD Changer (CDC) feature must be activated, if a factory CD changer / DVD Navigation has been installed then it is all good"... I can't tell if this means I have to have only nav or nav plus CD changer
2) if i have to have CD changer enabled by piwis, do dealers tend to understand what this means if I ask for this to be done?
thanks!
Old 09-07-2020, 03:35 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by nsurg
I've been spending some time on this thread and I can't find answers to a couple questions. Any help would be appreciated!
I have a 2008 997 turbo with factory navigation and unused sim card/phone. I do not have a CD changer.
1) can I install a mr12v since I have Nav (but I don't have CD changer)? Website says "CD Changer (CDC) feature must be activated, if a factory CD changer / DVD Navigation has been installed then it is all good"... I can't tell if this means I have to have only nav or nav plus CD changer
2) if i have to have CD changer enabled by piwis, do dealers tend to understand what this means if I ask for this to be done?
thanks!
short answer... install mr12volt and pcm will automatically recognize it as a cd changer. no visit to dealer required.

go back in thread and begin reading at post #420 . there are a lot of answers to your questions.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:43 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 170 Likes on 117 Posts

thanks!
yes it works. Use CD mode as if you have a disc in the PCM, tap CD button and if paired to phone, you are good to go.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 09-12-2020, 09:42 AM
nellis50
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey. Do you still have the Mr12volt? I might be interested to replace the one I have that’s not working correctly. You can call me @ 828-768-5327. Thanks Nathaniel.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:58 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by nellis50
Hey. Do you still have the Mr12volt? I might be interested to replace the one I have that’s not working correctly. You can call me @ 828-768-5327. Thanks Nathaniel.
yes we have just the main unit if needed. Contact us at sales@rennkit.com
Old 09-22-2020, 11:00 PM
nsurg
Rennlist Member

I hit the wall today with my installation. I have a 997 turbo with bose and subwoofer and navigation, I do not have a CD changer.

I removed the PCM and removed my tranzit blu (which had been working, but I get a very low volume and poor sound from it).

I have a successful electric supply, as tested by my voltometer to the plug that goes into the mr12volt device.

I did the male/male/female fiber optic loop and installed it behind the PCM (didn't do any work in the frunk as I don't have the CD changer). It was unclear which male goes to which, but I tried both options.
I am stuck with the "system error: navigation and amplifier not available" regardless of how I connect the fiber optic three-way plug thing.

As a clue, I don't get any LED lights showing on the mr12volt device, regardless of my hookup as above (and again I am getting a 12v signal to the plug when I test it). I also don't have an option to pair bluetooth (I don't see it on my phone as a device to pair with).
It seems like the mr12volt is getting no power.
Do I have a faulty unit? I don't fully understand the fiber optic stuff but it seems like I should at least get a bluetooth pairing option on my phone if the device was powered up. I did buy a used unit from a forum member, but I don't think it was ever installed.
Thanks for any help!
Old 09-22-2020, 11:06 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Try putting the FO loop on your Navi DVD player in the trunk.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:19 PM
nsurg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
Try putting the FO loop on your Navi DVD player in the trunk.
Edit - FO as fiber optic loop...

Here's a pic of my navigation and amp in the frunk, the only thing fiber optic I see there is the area circled (mirror reflection). Should I have installed the Mr12volt unit in the frunk instead of behind the pcm?
And is it normal to have no LED lights illuminated and I can't find it to pair with despite getting 12v power?
Thanks for your quick response.

Last edited by nsurg; 09-22-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:50 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Edit - FO as fiber optic loop...

Here's a pic of my navigation and amp in the frunk, the only thing fiber optic I see there is the area circled (mirror reflection). Should I have installed the Mr12volt unit in the frunk instead of behind the pcm?
And is it normal to have no LED lights illuminated and I can't find it to pair with despite getting 12v power?
Thanks for your quick response.
Try putting the FO loop in place of the Navi DVD player. Unplug FO connector from DVD player, plug bypass FO loop onto the connector.
It will work inside the cabin as well.
We have a customer with an older head unit CDR-24, similar issue; quick red LED flash then nothing. Mfg told me this: "We’ve had quite a few problems with CDR24 without factory CD changer installed, even (if) they are programmed with CDC activated. Maybe besides CDC activation, there are other things need to be activated like iPod, etc?"
Old 09-23-2020, 05:21 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Go back and read post #420-443

You should not have to touch your DVD navigation FO.

I had a similar issue with Mr12Volt not getting power during installation. I installed Mr12Volt on 2 cars. One with cd changer and one without cd changer. Without CD changer I unplugged the fiber optic cable from back of PCM ( this runs to frunk Bose amplifier). I plugged in the optic cable supplied by Mr12Volt. One end into PCM, the other end into Mr12Volt, and there is a 3rd plug that splits off that your oem optic cable will plug into (the one that runs to amplifier).

I would suggest running power to Mr12Volt first, then plug in fiber optic cables. Once I had all that up and running I turned on the ignition of the car,
Looked for the "CarKit" bluetooth connection with my phone and once it is paired up you will hit the CD changer button selector on your PCM... then...VOILA... PCM instantly recognized Mr12volt and the PCM unit was displaying my phone connection as well as BT audio and streaming music with music info displaying.

By the way. I also noticed that the "BT / Fiber optic" mini lights that are on the Mr12Volt do not light up right away with just adding power. You need to have power, fiber optics, and turn on the car ignition for these little mini lights to light up. Freaked me out at first and thought I had a bad unit that was not working when they didn't light up right away. Hope that helps.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:57 AM
Tim997
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too had the error noted, and it was also because Mr12Volt did not have power. My taps had not been squeezed hard enough to penetrate the sheathing of the wire I'd used for power. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2020, 07:44 PM
nsurg
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the above advice, folks! I have certainly read almost all of this thread, and many times I've read the referenced posts above. Qikqbn, it was you posts that actually prompted me to try this device.

I have tried motor running, ignition on, all options for which MOST FO male connector goes where (only 2 options) for my installation behind the pcm. I didn't mess with the area under the nav in the frunk as it seems not the problem? Moreover, as per the last line I don't ever get a bluetooth pairing signal from the device, it simply acts undiscoverable.

I certainly get 12v power that is reliable at all times by my multimeter at the plug that goes into the mr12volt. I still have the problems as above though, with the "no amp..." error on the pcm and no obvious power to the mr12volt unit. I do notice a very brief flash from the red led on the mr12volt device only when I plug it into its power, then no further leds. Moreover, I don't get any bluetooth signal from the device (my phone doesn't see the car kit connection option).

I would think that any 12v power to the device regardless of MOST connection would prompt it to allow bluetooth pairing, so my best conclusion now is I have a bad unit. Any other things I could be missing?
thank you!

Last edited by nsurg; 09-23-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:54 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The no amp may be indicating a break in the FO loop somewhere?
Old 09-25-2020, 05:08 PM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi all. I've had my mr12volt unit install for some time now. I initially wired the power to one of the harnesses in the back of the PCM and used the brown wire to ground it. It worked fine but I had the "whining" issue. So I went back on this thread and read to ground it on the screw where everyone said to, to solve the whining issue. I still get the whining a lot. I found a bolt that looked like it mounted to the frame of the car behind the PCM close to where the cigarette lighter plug is near the foot and ground it to that which made the whining much better but its still there when I turn off the music and turn up the volume a bit. Anyone know why i'm stilling getting the "whining" issue?
Old 09-25-2020, 05:19 PM
Tim997
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seoulshakers
Hi all. I've had my mr12volt unit install for some time now. I initially wired the power to one of the harnesses in the back of the PCM and used the brown wire to ground it. It worked fine but I had the "whining" issue. So I went back on this thread and read to ground it on the screw where everyone said to, to solve the whining issue. I still get the whining a lot. I found a bolt that looked like it mounted to the frame of the car behind the PCM close to where the cigarette lighter plug is near the foot and ground it to that which made the whining much better but its still there when I turn off the music and turn up the volume a bit. Anyone know why i'm stilling getting the "whining" issue?
I'm in the same boat. The other advice to solve the whining is twist the power and ground around each other, which I did but I don't think well enough. Have you tried that (I haven't yet, but will if and when I get my car back from another issue I'm having)? It's my impression that they should be somewhat tightly twisted the entire length they're together.

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?