Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 01:00 AM
UnoMas
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I did this exact setup. checknout my post #420

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16040048
Did you use the power to the CDC to power your unit?
Mine has 3 wires coming into the CDC, I assume power and ground, what is the 3rd wire?
Old 01-11-2020, 02:02 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by UnoMas
Did you use the power to the CDC to power your unit?
Mine has 3 wires coming into the CDC, I assume power and ground, what is the 3rd wire?
for those mounting mr12volt in frunk and removing cd changer. you can use power cords running the old cd changer.
unplug power from cd changer and then tap into:

cdc red/green = red wire mr12volt
cdc brown = black wire mr12volt
cdc yellow/white= leave alone. not sure what its purpose, but not needed for mr12volt
Old 01-13-2020, 10:21 AM
UnoMas
Rennlist Member

qikqbn
Thanks
Did you get any of the engine whine that seems to be an issue with the 12v ground?
I was thinking of grounding to the frame. I assume the 12V ground originates at the frame somewhere in the car anyway.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:17 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

qikqbn
Thanks
Did you get any of the engine whine that seems to be an issue with the 12v ground?
I was thinking of grounding to the frame. I assume the 12V ground originates at the frame somewhere in the car anyway.
I should clarify...

I did this to 2 of my cars.
My C4S I mounted mr12volt in frunk and removed cd changer and used existing cd changer power and ground. No ground whining issues at all.

my Cayman S I had no cd changer so mounted mr12volt behind pcm unit. Using the PCM unit power red/green and brown ground wire introduced the whine. You can use the Pcm red/green , but for ground I highly recommend attaching to structure as we described/posted.

since you are doing the cd changer removal / frunk... you should have no whining issues using the existing power/ground
Old 01-13-2020, 03:00 PM
UnoMas
Rennlist Member

FWIW I found a firewall cut out plug beside the steering shaft. I was able to pull the cover out and I plan on running my USB/Aux and Mic back thru that to console and steering column.

just behind the battery

plug with sound deadening

Interior view by brake pedal
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-20-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 12:44 PM
UnoMas
Rennlist Member

When was the last time anyone ordered one of these Mr 12Volt units?
I ordered on the 30th and tracking numbers show it was delivered to my local PO. I call them and they say it is being shipped from Hong Kong and has not been shipped yet. I send several emails to leica4lifeus with no response. This is the last thing I need to install to finish my interior.
Any advice at this point?
Old 01-14-2020, 01:41 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

several of us have ordered in the last few months. I can't remember how long it took, but have not heard complaints of lost/non shipment yet. I am sure it will show up at some point.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:59 PM
UnoMas
Rennlist Member

Update
I did get a response last night from seller. Tracking was updated and looks like it is moving my way.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:59 PM
UnoMas
Rennlist Member

This may be a dumb question, but is anyone listening to music via the USB connection or is that for charging only?
Old 01-21-2020, 05:33 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

This may be a dumb question, but is anyone listening to music via the USB connection or is that for charging only?
I have used the SD Card, Bluetooth, and Aux with no issues. The one thing I have not tried is plugging in a USB flash disk. I would be curious to see how the interface works with PCM using the usb input. I may try it later, because now that I think about it, it could offer a lot more music storage. At the moment the 32GB SD card allows only 6 folders which show up as "Disc" on the PCM with 99 songs in each, although technically only 5 "Discs" are available because the #6 folder/Disc becomes overridden by the "Change mode" Option on the PCM. I also am going to test the "99" songs only that Mr12Volt limits. Either way, let us know and share some photos of the usb interface if you try it.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:44 PM
UnoMas
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I think I mistakenly thought it would work like my X5 which is a direct music connection via usb. Meaning plays music from my phone thru the usb connection. Although for the price it is a good compromise
I have another question- I am trying to figure out if one of my passenger side speakers is shot or if the acoustics makes it sound like most of the music is on the drivers side. There is sound but not the same volume between drivers side and passenger side
Any thoughts on that?
Old 01-21-2020, 06:23 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I think I mistakenly thought it would work like my X5 which is a direct music connection via usb. Meaning plays music from my phone thru the usb connection. Although for the price it is a good compromise
I have another question- I am trying to figure out if one of my passenger side speakers is shot or if the acoustics makes it sound like most of the music is on the drivers side. There is sound but not the same volume between drivers side and passenger side
Any thoughts on that?

check out my post #466 that I posted pics of the manual. You can see that there are dip-switch options to "add more volume/db's " I have had no issues with unbalanced volume. In fact it sounds cd quality to me and I can really crank it. Check your "balance/fader", or You may want to check all your optic connections or the connections to the speaker itself. Is this only an issues when playing through Mr12Volt, or are you getting same off balance volume using the radio as well??

It only mentions "USB Flash drive" so I am not sure if it interfaces when plugged directly in to your phone via usb, but give it a shot. I think having BT is the biggest reason for eliminating corded connections to get music though ... so it makes more sense to me to have the USB flash drive for added storage rather than a corded usb connection to your phone for music. Either way, try it out and lets us know what you find.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:03 PM
UnoMas
Rennlist Member

My issue with sound seems to be with the PCM, not Bluetooth. I have confirmed that USB is only to charge or play files off a jump drive. It will not recognize my phone to play any streaming content music or otherwise.
With the ease of setup and good Bluetooth clarity, I think the unit represents very good value for those that want to keep their PCM.
Since I have the CDC, I mounted the Mr12V in its place and plugged the MOST optical loop directly into the unit
I mounted the microphone under the other grill in the steering column and the USB/Aux-in the 12V charger spot in the center console. All the wires were run through the firewall at the access hole to the center of steering shaft. There is a rubber grommet that I as able to make a small incision in and pull all the wires through then seal it back up. I am very pleased with the install. I have posted pictures in post #485

It is my understanding that the Dension 500SBT has both Bluetooth and USB interphase and is priced around $300 for anyone interested.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:52 AM
timc114
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a very helpful thread! I have a 06 that the previous owner added a Satellite Radio antennae to in the frunk. Anyone know whether I can just swap out the XM radio (currently has power and connected to fiber optic) with the Mr12Volt?

I'm guessing that the fiber optic loop will just recognize the Mr12Volt as-is and simply drop the recognition of the XM unit. Anyone do this?
Old 01-29-2020, 12:00 PM
UnoMas
Rennlist Member

One other trick that seems to work for me.
I have XM in my other cars and with that, I get the Mobile version on my phone. With Bluetooth, I just stream my favorite XM stations from my phone. I cannot tell the difference between the quality of iTunes off my phone or XM.
https://www.siriusxm.com/streaming

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?