Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 06:33 PM
CBschnell
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That looks like an older unit - I installed 6 months ago and you can see the unit here:
Amazon Amazon
You could run a new mic unit to the top of the steering column near the built in mics, which is where I have mine. It's a good pick-up from the mic and sound comes from both speakers, I;m not sure how the unit could affect which speaker is ued - surely it's an input like anything else?
Anyhow I have been totally happy with my Mr12volt unit. I have the actual unit in the glovebox so I can access if needed USB and AUX if required.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:41 PM
emmed1
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My solution

I added BT with the Rennkit Bluetooth Retrofit Kit.
www.rennkit.com

I didn’t want to have an intrusive microphone so I ordered the Enfig Car stereo MIC-POR1 which plugs directly into the factory microphone slot inside the steering column.

I also saw someone was talking about phone audio coming from only the right side, mine does the same but I emailed Rennkit and they said that is how the system works so there is no echo or something.

The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (01-21-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 08:20 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Actually, now that I look at the pictures of the unit.... Your photo inside the steering column is actually looking at the usb port and AUX input jack....not the mic jack. The Mic jack is on the same side that the optic cables plug into. You may want to check that side to be sure the mic is plugged in.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:00 PM
onnastick
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I wasn't quite able to position my phone to take the photo so you could see the label, but the analog port you see in my photo to the left of the USB port is actually labeled Mic. The word Mic is just below the port but like I said I couldn't quite position the photo so you could see it. Maybe this is an older model? I have no idea when it was put in by a previous owner nor what it is.

As I said, there is something plugged into the Mic port. But for some reason whenever I make a call, the other party can hardly hear me at all. I am happy to replace the mic if I need to, but first I'd like to locate it and make sure there isn't something obviously wrong. Can someone tell me how to open up the area under the steering column where I took the photo so that I can try to trace the cable and locate the Mic? If I DO end up needing to replace the mic, I like the look of the Enfig MIC-POR1 that emmed1 mentioned, and it doesn't look too hard to install if I can figure out how to route the cable to where this BT unit is located.

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Actually, now that I look at the pictures of the unit.... Your photo inside the steering column is actually looking at the usb port and AUX input jack....not the mic jack. The Mic jack is on the same side that the optic cables plug into. You may want to check that side to be sure the mic is plugged in.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:10 PM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by onnastick
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I wasn't quite able to position my phone to take the photo so you could see the label, but the analog port you see in my photo to the left of the USB port is actually labeled Mic. The word Mic is just below the port but like I said I couldn't quite position the photo so you could see it. Maybe this is an older model? I have no idea when it was put in by a previous owner nor what it is.

As I said, there is something plugged into the Mic port. But for some reason whenever I make a call, the other party can hardly hear me at all. I am happy to replace the mic if I need to, but first I'd like to locate it and make sure there isn't something obviously wrong. Can someone tell me how to open up the area under the steering column where I took the photo so that I can try to trace the cable and locate the Mic? If I DO end up needing to replace the mic, I like the look of the Enfig MIC-POR1 that emmed1 mentioned, and it doesn't look too hard to install if I can figure out how to route the cable to where this BT unit is located.

I keep my car a few blocks a way so can't just go look at it. IIRC it's just a couple of Torx screws on the underside that you need to unscrew to remove the housing around the steering column.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:48 PM
onnastick
Advanced

Below is another photo under the steering column showing the port on the "Mr12Volt-like" box is labeled Mic... but again not sure exactly what model it is. What I'd really like to do is trace the cable to see where it's going and troubleshoot or replace any issues. Can anyone tell me how to pull off the piece under the steering column so I can get at this? Also, I did use a T10 screwdriver to lift up the black cover above and behind the steering wheel, and found there are TWO things plugged in. The one on the right is definitely a microphone (can see the windscreen) and I'm not sure what the one on the left is. Both have cables coming out of them, but again I can't fully trace the cables without removing more that I don't know how to do yet.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:06 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 96 Posts

I think one of those is the Mr12V microphone, and the other one looks like it might be the the original factory Porsche microphone, if your car had the factory phone module originally. Given where the Mr12v mic is positioned, I can see why callers can't hear you as the steering column blocks the microphone.
8KaboveMSL (03-28-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 03:16 PM
onnastick
Advanced

Originally Posted by sburke91
I think one of those is the Mr12V microphone, and the other one looks like it might be the the original factory Porsche microphone, if your car had the factory phone module originally. Given where the Mr12v mic is positioned, I can see why callers can't hear you as the steering column blocks the microphone.
Thanks. I'd be happy to replace the one on the right with the Enfig MIC-POR1 that emmed1 mentioned, but in order to actually run the cable down to the location of the unit under the steering column, I need to figure out how to remove the underside. Any help?
Old 02-08-2022, 03:21 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks. I'd be happy to replace the one on the right with the Enfig MIC-POR1 that emmed1 mentioned, but in order to actually run the cable down to the location of the unit under the steering column, I need to figure out how to remove the underside. Any help?
I can't help with that one--my old Tooki module had the microphone tucked up above the windshield on the driver's side, so I just put the new mic there.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:30 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you to everyone in this thread for the installation tips.

I just installed mine in about 30 minutes. I removed the factory CD changer, plugged in the Mr12volt fiber connection, spliced red to green/red CD changer harness, and black to brown. I 3m velcro taped it to the OE CD changer location and can access the ports if needed. I don't plan to use it for phone calls so I didn't run the mic, which is why it was so quick. Sound quality is amazing, surprising really how good it sounds.

Notes: I have a samsung phone, the BT audio will not work if you don't select the device to be used for phone calls. If you just select for audio only, it will not work.

Pics:

8KaboveMSL (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 10:38 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 179 Posts

Did you get this figured out? Traveling but wondering if you managed to get the guidance you requested.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:00 AM
onnastick
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8KaboveMSL
Did you get this figured out? Traveling but wondering if you managed to get the guidance you requested.
Thanks for checking. Unfortunately no. I can't seem to find that information... how does one remove or at least lower the interior trim that is under the steering wheel area? That is where the Mr12volt (or whatever variety this one is) was put by the PO and where I'd need to run the mic cable to if I am to purchase the Enfig microphone mentioned above.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:32 PM
indykwak
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Rennkit BTR-3 this evening and it worked initially, but after I put the side panels back on and tucked everything in it didn't work anymore. Not sure if I have a power problem, fiber optic problem or an issue with the unit itself. Does anyone know if the an iphone can see the "Car Kit" unit in bluetooth settings if the unit has power, but the fiber cables are disconnected?
Old 04-01-2022, 11:48 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 170 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by indykwak
I installed the Rennkit BTR-3 this evening and it worked initially, but after I put the side panels back on and tucked everything in it didn't work anymore. Not sure if I have a power problem, fiber optic problem or an issue with the unit itself. Does anyone know if the an iphone can see the "Car Kit" unit in bluetooth settings if the unit has power, but the fiber cables are disconnected?
Just tested this. With 12V power, but no FO signal, won't pair. With no power, won't pair.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 04-01-2022, 11:52 AM
indykwak
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for checking, I did some more testing and discovered I blew a fuse, so I put a spare fuse in and it's working again. Fingers crossed it doesn't blow the fuse again, thanks for the response!

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?