Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 12:59 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mbaran
awesome, thanks. I kind of like the blueish tint to it. Certainly that's why it was paired with the metropol blue.
Yep, for sure. it's a beautiful color combo.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:31 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
I don't think there is a reliable formula for pricing these cars based solely on the mileage. These cars last a long time and can run a lot of miles. The condition that the car is in, combined with the work that has been done on the car, and the recency of this work, is going to render any such simple formula as you suggest inapplicable. I would much rather have a well-maintained 996TT with 75,000 miles, than a car with 30,000 miles on it that is going to cost me $25K to repair over the next couple of years.
Wow! I sure found you to be right. In flying around the West coast, I saw multiple examples of expensive low mileage cars that had not been taken care of... in fact a couple were quite trashed; and could never be made acceptably nice. One for 36K had piston slap and oil spraying out the rear inter-cooler exhaust (the salesman told me that it was "normal"; "they all did that"). While a few 60-70K mile examples; all still needed repair. Or, were repaired badly, with multiple repaints or interiors that were not loved. These were all priced at around $50K.

In the end I found a high mileage coupe (silver/silver) 110K miles (as per Jeremy Wright's vote of confidence on high mileage cars) that had a few more minor issues (heater fan, spoiler hydrolics, blinker return, swaybar endlink broken, a minor crease in the pass door and a steering wheel that needed refinishing/replacement), but it looked like it had been cared for. The exterior finish was very nice without prior repaint, the interior, although worn console and steering wheel looked very reasonable... Leather seats looked great! Engine starts/runs without issue. Manual transmission shifts nice. The clutch doesn't slip... yet, but the pedal engagement is at the end of it's travel; so a new clutch will be needed soon. All in all I spent $29500 and will budget another 5-6K for restoring the interior/exterior, new clutch flywheel and then pin the cooling flanges... I figure that I'll come in under budget and have a car that I know is repaired right.

Thank you all for your patience on this thread; I'll need to move on to other Rennlist threads to answer questions I have about restoration .... and even something as basic as: Where did they hide the dipstick? Thanks again. Craig
Old 01-08-2018, 12:41 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gtred
All in all I spent $29500 and will budget another 5-6K for restoring the interior/exterior, new clutch flywheel and then pin the cooling flanges... I figure that I'll come in under budget and have a car that I know is repaired right.

Thank you all for your patience on this thread; I'll need to move on to other Rennlist threads to answer questions I have about restoration .... and even something as basic as: Where did they hide the dipstick? Thanks again. Craig
I spent $41.5K on my black/black example, which had ~76K miles on it at purchase (now around 78K). The two prior owners had spent around $25K on the car, combined, over around 2.5 years and 12K miles, with more than half of that having been spent about 500 miles before the purchase. The work would have cost way more had it been done at a Porsche dealer, and the parts were bought mostly from ECS, not a dealer. The seller I bought from ended up selling due to his wife becoming pregnant and insisting that he unload the car in favor of something "practical." I paid in part for the convenience of buying a completely sorted out car.

As to your question on the dipstick, there is none. Get out your owner's manual and look it up. The engine needs to be warmed up, and the car level and stopped. You access the level through a steering wheel stalk.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:54 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
I spent $41.5K on my black/black example, which had ~76K miles on it at purchase (now around 78K). The two prior owners had spent around $25K on the car, combined, over around 2.5 years and 12K miles, with more than half of that having been spent about 500 miles before the purchase. The work would have cost way more had it been done at a Porsche dealer, and the parts were bought mostly from ECS, not a dealer. The seller I bought from ended up selling due to his wife becoming pregnant and insisting that he unload the car in favor of something "practical." I paid in part for the convenience of buying a completely sorted out car.

As to your question on the dipstick, there is none. Get out your owner's manual and look it up. The engine needs to be warmed up, and the car level and stopped. You access the level through a steering wheel stalk.
Ha! Looks like I'll need to buy a manual...

Old 01-09-2018, 07:22 PM
mutrksyou
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just saw this one browsing ebay. Hopefully the high amount is legit and it goes to a good home!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Porsch...FaS~W9&vxp=mtr
Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. What is "press finish" for options?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:56 PM
mbaran
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
Interesting. What is "press finish" for options?
I googled it, when I first saw this car. Some speculate that it was literally a press/show/executive car and that it may have been marked that way in the option codes.

No one could say for sure if the paint quality was better or worse than normal though.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Belongs in the Prestige thread on account of the price.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 PM
mbaran
Instructor

Does price make prestige, or does prestige make price?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:41 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mbaran
Does price make prestige, or does prestige make price?
Per KC Attorney who started the Prestige thread:

There seems to be a sentiment that many wish to focus on the upper end of the 996TT market rather than dwell on the, ahem, under $40,000 market.
So, let's limit this thread to identifying those cars on the market that represent the cream of the crop. Find a truly outstanding car on the market that deserves recognition? Post it here. No bargain basement finds please!
Old 01-10-2018, 01:51 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

this sounds just like Macster's Turbo...they are asking $39K for his well maintained 160K mile car.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...450033411.html
Old 01-10-2018, 03:00 AM
bugeyemilo
Rennlist Member

looking strong here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273008034934?ul_noapp=true

basically a bone stock X50 car, but in Speed Yellow (my fav color)

sold for 57,890.00

with 60,151 miles on it.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Black/black Coupe 6mt sofas stock 80k miles Ca car on BaT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-15/
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bugeyemilo
basically a bone stock X50 car, but in Speed Yellow (my fav color)
sold for 57,890.00 with 60,151 miles on it.
Strong money indeed.

The latest Excellence Magazine states that in the last year, "air-cooled Turbos have remained essentially the same, while all water-cooled 911s have continued to depreciate."

$57K for a 60K mile x50 '02 sure doesn't look like depreciating to me! We seem to be tracking the market pretty closely, and 996 Turbos aren't falling IMO.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:06 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,851 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
Strong money indeed.
The latest Excellence Magazine states that in the last year, "air-cooled Turbos have remained essentially the same, while all water-cooled 911s have continued to depreciate."
IMHO, in the past year:
  • 996 Turbos, GT2's, GT3's have definitely ticked upwards.
  • 996 non-Mezgers are mostly cheap and getting cheaper, with a few uber-nice examples as exceptions.
  • 997.1 Turbo's have remained flat to slightly upwards.
  • 997.1 non-Mezgers are have depreciated significantly.
  • 997.2 Turbo's are down, but still expensive.
  • 997.2 non Turbo's are down, except for 'special' cars like GTS's and of course GT3's
  • 991.1 non Turbo's are up from where they were a year ago, though still substantially under original sticker. Some think buoyed by the 991.2 all turbo lineup.
  • 991.1 Turbo's are way down, victim of the typical expensive car depreciation curve.
  • GT4's are down, now quite easy to buy one well under sticker, likely due to 991.2 GT3's now available with manual transmissions.
  • 991.1 GT3's are way down.
  • 981.2 Cayman GTS's are flat
  • 987.1 S Cayman's are down. The bargain Porsche sports car right now, plenty of very clean lower mileage cars under $25K.
These are cars that I've had some interest in and seen quite a few of, of course others might have a different perspective.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds