Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 10:42 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

This one sounds too good to be true. Original MSRP was $169,210.00. I am very familiar with this dealership, class Act! I just may fly-out this weekend and purchase it, if it checks out.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:03 PM
mbaran
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are all pretty excited about that one.

Making me consider a cab... I can be in SF in 90 minutes (after 2 hours at LAX)
Old 12-21-2017, 11:27 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Worst case I use it as a donor/parts car and sell the carcass. I don't care for another cab, as I already have one.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:25 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mbaran
You guys are all pretty excited about that one.

Making me consider a cab... I can be in SF in 90 minutes (after 2 hours at LAX)
If you want to me have a look over the weekend I may be able to swing by on Saturday, it's 20 minutes from my place to Cars Dawyiak. They're on Pine between Van Ness and Polk.

Actually, I may have some time tomorrow (Friday) to swing by, I'm curious as hell!

It's probably a consignment car, many of their cars are on consignment, but it's priced at least $5K below market, if not more.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:14 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by gtred
I was totally scammed last weekend by a 996tt craigslist ad. Flew myself and a porsche friend down to LA only to find it a waste of time and money... feeling a little vulnerable walking around So Cal with a boatload of cash. He got my deposit, but we at least got out of there before we got robbed. Here's the ad, the title and the pic he sent.
Hi OP,

Sorry to hear about your story. This is one of the biggest problems when buying cars online these days regardless if it's Craigslist, AutoTrader, Car.com, etc... it's all about the integrity of the person (or persons) on the other side of the computer. They'll say and try anything to get your money! My nephew is a licensed dealer and he says these scams are more common than people realize. Most of these jokers are not even in the US, but working overseas to steal your money. Most of the lazy ones use the age-old trick of "We'll ship you the car" bit, but the smarter ones are finding better ways to photoshop documents and tags to fool the potential buyer. When dealing with high-end cars like the Porsche Turbo, all they have to do advertise the car much lower than market value and then sucker you into a deposit and stall you until the money clears. Of course they don't want you to use PayPal, personal check, or a Credit Card because that would lead the Feds right to them. Instead they most commonly want you to WIRE the money (i.e. Western Union).

I know hindsight is 20/20. However, we must not only learn from our mistakes, but become MORE educated to their tactics.

Look at the title he sent you. Notice the VIN# and PLATE# look like they've been printed over a plain box. A current California title will have the VIN and PLATE number printed over the patterned background. He also covered up the California embossed seal and odometer readings. Did you notice that the title had expired in Dec of 2014? Compare it to the CarFax and you'll more than likely notice that registration was reissued for 2015 and on. Budda Bing! Did you also notice under the "Fees Paid" section he put "$2015" (ironic huh)? ouch!

It's also a good idea to get the seller to give you a photo copy of their driver's licensed and look for common signs of it being Photoshopped. Also, match it up with the title and owner's residential address.

You can also run the Plate number in CarFax. In GA, you're able to contact the tag office/DMV and confirm the information that was given you. I'm sure California would also assist too, but not always easy to deal with.

Again, hindsight is 20/20, but when dealing with high-end cars like Porsches, never wire money...ever... and avoid giving a deposit to an individual IMHO. You're better off meeting at the tag office to confirm the title and identification then traveling to the BOA branch to handle the transaction.

I've even hired a cop before. Helps keep people honest!
Old 12-22-2017, 10:05 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Hi OP,
Look at the title he sent you. Notice the VIN# and PLATE# look like they've been printed over a plain box. A current California title will have the VIN and PLATE number printed over the patterned background. He also covered up the California embossed seal and odometer readings. Did you notice that the title had expired in Dec of 2014? Compare it to the CarFax and you'll more than likely notice that registration was reissued for 2015 and on. Budda Bing! Did you also notice under the "Fees Paid" section he put "$2015" (ironic huh)? ouch!!
I just checked CA my pink slip that I received on Oct 14, 2017 for my Lexus. The VIN # and Plate # are printed in a grayed out box just as the pic shows. Also I can easily see $2015 in fees being paid in CA. I'm not trying to defend this Jerkbutt but don't want to see FUD being put out there misleading folks and causing unnecessary strife for potential buyers and honest sellers
Also that is the "Transfer Date" not an expiration date, titles don't expire unless the car is demolished.
Calif DMV has strong privacy laws and I doubt they will help you confirm address info based on license info.

Last edited by sanyata; 12-22-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:55 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyata
I just checked CA my pink slip that I received on Oct 14, 2017 for my Lexus. The VIN # and Plate # are printed in a grayed out box just as the pic shows. Also I can easily see $2015 in fees being paid in CA. I'm not trying to defend this Jerkbutt but don't want to see FUD being put out there misleading folks and causing unnecessary strife for potential buyers and honest sellers
Also that is the "Transfer Date" not an expiration date, titles don't expire unless the car is demolished.
Calif DMV has strong privacy laws and I doubt they will help you confirm address info based on license info.
Ok, so the California title doesn't look like this one?

I wasn't referring to the title "Transfer date". I was referring to the Registration Expiration Date. Doesn't your tax office issue registration papers each year? If so, then the buyer can request current registration. In GA, registration has to stay in the vehicle in case a cop pulls you over and requests the information.

The fees paid was just mentioned as an coincidence.

Regarding California privacy laws. Let me get this straight... If you take a Craigslist ad along with a photo copy of the car's title, license tag, registration, and owner's driver's license to your county tag office and ask the clerk to confirm the information, are you saying they will refuse? If they won't do it as you mention, then I'd recommend meeting at the tag office with the official title, registration, and driver's license in hand. Our tag office are more than happy to confirm the authenticity of title and registration information. But the reality is simple... if the seller is a thief, he's NOT going to meet at the tag office or any place that may have law enforcement.

Simple advice if buying a Porsche on Craigslist:
1. Request a copy of the owner's ID, Title, and Registration up front before wasting any time or efforts.
2. Run a CarFax
3. Never wire money to anyone you don't know personally.
4. Deposits should be low -$500 IMHO and made with a traceable money source.
5. Meet at the DMV/tag office to confirm all paper work
6. Conduct a PPI and inspect every square inch of the car.
7. If everything checks out, then meet at a owner's bank to handle the money transfer. I recommend cashier's check.
8. If we're talking about a expensive car such as a Porsche Turbo always bring a witness. If you're dealing with cash, then hire a cop.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mffarrell
This one sounds too good to be true. Original MSRP was $169,210.00. I am very familiar with this dealership, class Act! I just may fly-out this weekend and purchase it, if it checks out.
The carfax shows an accident....so that's been factored into the price. I am still curious to see it in person, depending on how motivated I'm feeling about it in a few hours.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:00 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

From the description:

"Carfax shows an accident reported in 2010. The car, along with about 10 other drivers, ran over some debris on the GG Bridge, which resulted in 4 flat tires. The owner's insurance company paid the claim which was above $750 and why it shows up on Carfax. There was never any contact with another vehicle."

If correct, this car should sell quickly. Car is eerily similar to mine, priced low IMO. We shall see........
Old 12-22-2017, 01:04 PM
tom153
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell of a deal, in my opinion. Should be AT LEAST 10k more.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:12 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Who loads up a car with all those options and doesn't get heated seats? That was one of my must-haves for the cabrio, used them may times during top-down driving in our last Turbo cab. Plus, the wife insisted so there you are.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by T Kono
From the description:

"Carfax shows an accident reported in 2010. The car, along with about 10 other drivers, ran over some debris on the GG Bridge, which resulted in 4 flat tires. The owner's insurance company paid the claim which was above $750 and why it shows up on Carfax. There was never any contact with another vehicle."

If correct, this car should sell quickly. Car is eerily similar to mine, priced low IMO. We shall see........
OK OK, I'll head downtown to have a look shortly.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:55 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Maybe some under-car shields are damaged - easy and relatively cheap to fix. Curious to see what you find........
Old 12-22-2017, 02:56 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by T Kono
Maybe some under-car shields are damaged - easy and relatively cheap to fix. Curious to see what you find........
the car still undetailed , so I got to see in its natural state.

Car lives outside mostly up at a Vineyard in Napa. It's a consignment car as I thought.

it's not clean *anywhere*...interior shows quite a bit of wear for 40000 miles.

- mismatched tires-- worn out front Pirellis and rear Michelins (rears dated week 28 of 2011)

-couple of small holes on the driver side of the convertible top b-pillar. No hard top.

'Front spoiler in rough shape. Needs replacement

-rear carpet on both sides was very wet

-frunk release not working.

- engine sounds good, stock but very dirty again the car lived outside. No apparent wetness on case. I detected a light coolant smell when I opened the decklid.

-Clear bra did not age well. Exterior trim around wipers (cowling) very faded.

- paint looks original but needs a lot of work and love to come back...there's no shine at all.

- Savannah Beige is pretty pretty dirty and shows a lot of wear for 40000 miles.

- the techno wheels have some curbage

It's priced to sell at 40 Grand. This car will need several thousand dollars to make perfect. Not sure what a new canvas top costs, but it can't be cheap.

They have lots of interest at this price point of course but no one's come to see it yet. They are not going to detail it till after Christmas. I'm sure it the paint will clean up nicely, such a beautiful color. The interior, well it's a great candidate for an all black transplant.

This car hasn't been loved nor has it led a pampered life.

-

Last edited by Road King; 12-22-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:58 PM
mbaran
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
the car still un detailed , so I got to see in its natural state.
Thanks for checking it out.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds