Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 03:30 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Several conversations with the guy led me to believe that he was legit. Clean car fax that showed regionally appropriate maintenance. Phone number: (562) 383-6453 has the right area code for the San Juan Capistrano region. I asked him to hold it thru the weekend (as I didn't want to arrange coverage for my work, book a hotel/car and book a flight without some assurances that the car would still be available.) I offered a 500.00 non-refundable deposit as security. He countered 2k refundable. I agreed to this (figuring it was a gamble) but tried to use PayPal or a credit card where I could at least have recourse against fraud. He said that he didn't have Paypal or access to a credit card machine... So I did this:

Duh!! I kept thinking, this couldn't be a scam. "Why would this guy make me fly all the way down here and continue keep in contact if his intention was to scam me out of my deposit"? He's already got my deposit, right?

The worst thing about this scenario was that the scammer still had to keep me going thru the weekend, as the bank holds most of the funds for a few days after a deposit.

So, he kept in touch with us when we flew down. He spoke to us over the phone when we arrived saying "good morning"... it should have been "good morning you have just been scammed". He made excuses as to why the (photoshopped) name on the title did not match the person living at the address listed on the title. By the time he suggested that we meet in a parking lot to finish the transaction, we had already booked a return flight and were en-route to the airport. I wonder what could have happened if we showed up? By the way, look at the name... Bada Thomas may well be "Bad A## Thomas"..... isn't Craigslist fun?!
Old 12-21-2017, 03:33 PM
mbaran
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HOLY **** THATS THE SAME PHONE NUMBER OF THE GUY WHO TEXT ME IN THE PREVIOUS POST I MENTIONED BEING UNSURE OF SCAM. PM ME!

He called himself Scott, and was from AZ. Even made up the name of a shop he uses in AZ where his car is serviced. Had screen shots of CPO paperwork and everything from when he bought.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:34 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why didn't you call the cops and have them meet him?
Old 12-21-2017, 03:47 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mbaran: I was first hesitant to post anything on this... because I feel like such a dope. I am glad now that perhaps I've been able to help expose this guy.

sgtpepper: A non-emergency call to the police only gets you to voicemail...
Old 12-21-2017, 03:49 PM
mbaran
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtred
mbaran: I was first hesitant to post anything on this... because I feel like such a dope. I am glad now that perhaps I've been able to help expose this guy.
His phone number doesn't turn up any hits on google either. I know he will just change it, but blast that f'n number across the net as a scam and hope google indexes it. I'd post a CL posting too for people to avoid the number.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:56 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mbaran
His phone number doesn't turn up any hits on google either. I know he will just change it, but blast that f'n number across the net as a scam and hope google indexes it. I'd post a CL posting too for people to avoid the number.
and blast the info on the car he was trying to scam you with. VIN number, etc...
Old 12-21-2017, 05:02 PM
mbaran
Instructor

https://www.carsauto.com/2004-porsch...olet-c-897.htm

This car is beautiful, wish I was looking for a cab. Totally loaded, 6 speed, low miles, under 40k price.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

This car is beautiful, wish I was looking for a cab. Totally loaded, 6 speed, low miles, under 40k price.
That looks like a nice car, and it's priced good!

-Jason
Old 12-21-2017, 05:06 PM
mbaran
Instructor

It's certainly got me thinking...
Old 12-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

I'm digging that Atlas Grey too
Old 12-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Cars Dawydiak is here in SF, I've been there several times and they have nice cars. Third Reef bought his X50 from them, and it was clean.

$40K seems almost too low for this one, but the seller is legit. Love the color, I can only imagine how it would look with black (non supple) leather!
Old 12-21-2017, 08:19 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Road King
Cars Dawydiak is here in SF, I've been there several times and they have nice cars. Third Reef bought his X50 from them, and it was clean.

$40K seems almost too low for this one, but the seller is legit. Love the color, I can only imagine how it would look with black (non supple) leather!
I agree with you thinking the $40k is too low. That's a color you don't see often.

-Jason
Old 12-21-2017, 08:47 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been lucky with long distance purchases where I flew out and picked up a car to drive home; both times the people were legit and entirely honorable. My 996 TT came out of LA (Torrance) but was advertised on 6speedonline. My 2000 Z3M Coupe came out of Portland, OR, and I found it on Craigslist. Neither person asked me for a deposit, but I did fly out within a couple of days of responding to their ads. There was nothing sketchy about either of the people I bought from; one was a retired engineer for Intel, and the other was working in a high level position for a games-software company. I spent a whole lot of time talking to both gentlemen on the phone before committing to anything.

Certainly there is some physical risk involved, and it would obviously be safer to go with a friend than to go by yourself, although I went by myself each time.

I did get seriously scammed on another Z3 Coupe (not M) that was shipped to me long distance by a supposed enthusiast. It was billed as babied and pristine, but turned out to be a rusted out hulk with evidence of flood damage, from MA. I ultimately sued the guy, not because I thought I would recover anything, but because I wanted to scare the **** out of him, which I did accomplish at some expense to myself.

Long distance car purchases are scary; I don't think I have the stomach to do any more of them, so I'm not anticipating doing any more vintage car purchases.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:56 PM
mbaran
Instructor

Originally Posted by champignon
My 996 TT came out of LA (Torrance)
Send it back I've been on the hunt for a while now and am based in Torrance.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:17 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Send it back I've been on the hunt for a while now and am based in Torrance.
I'm sorry; the very engaging and equally **** individual I bought my 996 TT from in May, now drives a modified Subaru Forester. Eat your heart out :-)

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds