What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:03 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=MotoJB;14335275]
Originally Posted by RClurg84
Decided last week to order some rings for my gauge cluster. Picked these up off ebay.

They arrived Monday and I test fitted them everything was pretty good. Maybe a tiny tweak on one of the small rings. Anyways, ran by Home Depot to grab some silicone. Everything I've read so far says it's easy and takes 10 mins maybe. Well the middle ring was easy. After that, not so much. The right small ring that I thought I pushed on all the way wasn't, silicone never touched the surface. The left small ring wouldn't stay on, either the top or bottom part would lift off. An hour later I ended up with this.

Never doing rings again. And not going to do them on my Boxster now. What a mess for something so easy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, what a PITA...I bought these off of fleabay...great guy Robert in europe sells them...about $40 delivered...took a week to get here and snapped right on in 1 min.

Perfect fitment, no chance of them coming off. They are a bit more subtle than those rings, but didn't require that level of work/disassembly, nor any glue.

moto, are those the ones from eastern europe? its says 40 bucks and like 40+ shipping? on the fleabay listing...
Old 08-27-2017, 10:16 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE="02996ttx50;14438336]
Originally Posted by MotoJB

moto, are those the ones from eastern europe? its says 40 bucks and like 40+ shipping? on the fleabay listing...
The ones in the ebay picture that I posted awhile back were from the states. Not the ones that moto is talking about. Here is the link to the ones I got, they turned out very nice, but more work than I thought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-...72.m2749.l2649
Old 08-27-2017, 10:31 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

[QUOTE=RClurg84;14438364][QUOTE="02996ttx50;14438336]

cool, thanks. thats the better "deal", but i was hoping to get ones that would just snap on. i watched the vid of the scraping the edges for install? etc. so i'm pretty sure i could handle it lol. thx again.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:38 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE="02996ttx50;14438394][QUOTE=RClurg84;14438364]
Originally Posted by "02996ttx50

cool, thanks. thats the better "deal", but i was hoping to get ones that would just snap on. i watched the vid of the scraping the edges for install? etc. so i'm pretty sure i could handle it lol. thx again.
I did not do the scraping edges trick, hopefully it goes smoother for you than me.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:07 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I've always had these on my car and love them, it's the last thing RUF on my car besides the intake. They are much smaller than the gigantic Porsche mirrors. They are about the same size as a Cup mirror. If you don't like em, send them my way. I can always keep a set as spares.
haha they are cool looking, I'm just not used to them yet, I'm used to the bigger mirrors. The mirror glass is actually from a e36 m3 which I think is really funny.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:02 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
haha they are cool looking, I'm just not used to them yet, I'm used to the bigger mirrors. The mirror glass is actually from a e36 m3 which I think is really funny.
I did not know that. It's funny because the big mirrors look very odd to me as the little ones is all I've ever had so to me they are normal.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:43 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i just remembered that i neglected to mention my flash of genius self-diagnosed suspension squeak which i also remedied today, simply with a pair of gt3 sway bar bushings. a few oem parts are actually cheap lol.

no looking back.
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2017, 02:01 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Damn I love this car... I go through lots of cars. I always like many things about many of them, but I also find certain attributes that start to annoy me and I end up selling them. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I just love getting in this car for a 10 minute drive for an errand or a 3+ hour drive in the mountains.

It's not the best handling car I've over owned, nor the fastest, nor the flashiest, nor the prettiest. But it puts a big smile on my face when I drive it, and ultimately THATS why I like cars! .

Pretty much the only downside is the ever-growing list of things I'd like to do to it, and being torn between keeping it (mostly) stock (or easily revertible to stock) vs. making it my own.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:24 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by pfbz
Pretty much the only downside is the ever-growing list of things I'd like to do to it, and being torn between keeping it (mostly) stock (or easily revertible to stock) vs. making it my own.
great cars no doubt, better when modded and driven in my estimation. your quandary vis a vis "making it your own" VS retaining it as stock, ( presumably alluded to, for whatever resale value there is now or will be? ) suggests a financial consideration. which i find curious given the relative low barrier to entry and exit of ownership of these cars.

do what you like to it, and with it. i suggest, there is no place for serious financial considerations to a 15 year old car that one regularly drives for pleasure. if there is? that place is inhabited by wee folk. not you, of course.. but very generally speaking lol.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:40 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
...your quandary vis a vis "making it your own" VS retaining it as stock, ( presumably alluded to, for whatever resale value there is now or will be? )...do what you like to it, and with it.
Yes, my considerations are partly for future value of a stockish car given the current trend on 996 turbos, partially for the cost of the mods themselves, but mostly just because mods are a bit of a slippery slope I've gone down before, and the car is so enjoyable as-is.

It will definitely get the best upkeep possible and a mild tune.

But then the slippery slope... Drop the engine and pin it. While it's out upgrade the clutch, flywheel, slave to GT2, etc. An exhaust would surely be nice. Need suspension upgrades! Coilovers, sways, links, monoballs! Maybe a bit more power with upgraded turbos, intercoolers, piping, diverters, etc. And of course a bit more whoa to go with the lots more go with some brake upgrades? Lighter wheels, stickier tires, some cosmetic goodies. Before I hit the bottom of that o-so-slippery slope I've easily put as much into it again as the purchase price, but did it double my enjoyment? Maybe, maybe not. In some car's past, making the car a razor-sharp weapon makes it more enjoyable for some things, less for others. And it becomes another car my wife really doesn't want to spend much time in!

Again, I absolutely see why people do these upgrades, and I've had previous cars that I've greatly enjoyed both the process and results of making it my idea of perfection, i'm just not sure if I'll go down that path with this particular car... It will never be a garage queen. It will be driven as intended and as often as possible.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:45 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Yes, my considerations are partly for future value of a stockish car given the current trend on 996 turbos, partially for the cost of the mods themselves, but mostly just because mods are a bit of a slippery slope I've gone down before, and the car is so enjoyable as-is.

It will definitely get the best upkeep possible and a mild tune.

But then the slippery slope... Drop the engine and pin it. While it's out upgrade the clutch, flywheel, slave to GT2, etc. An exhaust would surely be nice. Need suspension upgrades! Coilovers, sways, links, monoballs! Maybe a bit more power with upgraded turbos, intercoolers, piping, diverters, etc. And of course a bit more whoa to go with the lots more go with some brake upgrades? Lighter wheels, stickier tires, some cosmetic goodies. Before I hit the bottom of that o-so-slippery slope I've easily put as much into it again as the purchase price, but did it double my enjoyment? Maybe, maybe not. In some car's past, making the car a razor-sharp weapon makes it more enjoyable for some things, less for others. And it becomes another car my wife really doesn't want to spend much time in!

Again, I absolutely see why people do these upgrades, and I've had previous cars that I've greatly enjoyed both the process and results of making it my idea of perfection, i'm just not sure if I'll go down that path with this particular car... It will never be a garage queen. It will be driven as intended and as often as possible.
thats a cpl things more than i have done, or felt necessary ( eg pinning lines, gt2 slave mod etc..) but I've done what i needed to have a highly capable tuned/hybrid turbo'd TT. my car is a like a pickle that'll never be a cucumber ever again. in fact, I'm not even sure i'd want one stock ( and i have..)..

but your point relative to "value" of these being on the uptick is a legitimate consideration, just one that i wouldn't want to influence me or have interfere with all the "fun quotient" the car daily delivers, being reasonably "modded.

but my buddy that sells these ( pcar's ) says they are definitely gaining in value! when i was there sunday "tuning" the car up ( yes, coils NOT points ) he even offered me an extra 2k from his last embarrassingly low ball offer! ha.

i'd rather have the modded car than the added "value", but your points ( points again! LOL! ) are well taken. cheers.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:53 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

I did the same job last week... All my existing coils had tiny cracks. I replaced them with the newer OEM 'long bolt' style, Beru ZS178. I paid about $45 each locally at NAPA, but you can find them for as little as $36 each.
btw, did you find that you were to unable to replace the heat shields after using the longer coils? i dont remember that and was sure i had used the longer coils on my last swap. weird....my buddy says they are not necessary!? i said then "why are they there!" lol...
Old 08-29-2017, 07:33 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blah, told the shop to go ahead and do a bunch of preventative maintenance -

-Replace Drive belt and probably the pulleys while it's all apart
-Front brake pads were deteriorating despite having a lot of meat left on them, so I'm doing that too.

Check engine light I was getting seems to be caused by a failed Electric Change Over Valve - luckily it's only 40 for the part.

Fun fun!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
....Check engine light I was getting seems to be caused by a failed Electric Change Over Valve - luckily it's only 40 for the part......
That is a new one. Where is that thing located?
Old 08-29-2017, 08:49 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha, no clue. Glad it was a cheap part. The tech at Black Canyon Performance traced it down and noticed it was getting power, but not clicking when isolated. So, he believes it's just faulty.

They did a pressure test and all is fine otherwise. Leave it to a car I own to have an odd problem!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?