996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Doug already has a couple of guys lined up for the spring, so it's clear that we need to organize a group buy. I think it needs a minimum of ten (correct me if I'm wrong Doug). So add your name to the list and I'll put it together.

So far, I make +1.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:04 PM
stanm5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
Doug already has a couple of guys lined up for the spring, so it's clear that we need to organize a group buy. I think it needs a minimum of ten (correct me if I'm wrong Doug). So add your name to the list and I'll put it together.

So far, I make +1.
Stanm5 +1
Old 04-16-2007, 12:06 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Andyk +1 (assuming a weaker spring doesn't make the pedal feel a little less lame instead of great)

Also, if the clutch pedal doesn't return high enough to hit the cruise control switch, that means cruise control wont work at all, right? What would be the best way (aside from putting in a lighter spring) to extend the cruise switch plunger, or, the clutch pedal surface - to solve this problem and keep the spring-free clutch pedal?

PS--I did this mod last night, but havent taken the car out yet due to the huge rain we have been having. My back and shoulders are still sore, but all went well. Just pushing the pedal in and out with the car off was interesting. VERY stiff, but smooth!

Last edited by AndyK; 04-16-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:45 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You know guys - I just drove my new-to-me 2002 996, which has a brand new clutch and flywheel, and neither the pedal effort, nor the feel of the take up is an issue for me. It feels great, I can detect where the clutch begins to grab, and can modulate it easily. I don't think I'll stall the car with the current setup. There is a squeek though...

So, I don't think I'll be rushing out and doing this mod anytime soon. I guess after a while I'll know better, but it seem to me that I'll only become more familiar with the feel of the current setup. If those lighter weight springs work out then I might, but again - I'm in no rush.

Does this make me a retard?

PS - my first impression of this 996 is that we're going to get along JUST FINE!!! This thing goes like stink.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:36 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasper
You know guys - I just drove my new-to-me 2002 996, which has a brand new clutch and flywheel, and neither the pedal effort, nor the feel of the take up is an issue for me. It feels great, I can detect where the clutch begins to grab, and can modulate it easily. I don't think I'll stall the car with the current setup. There is a squeek though...

So, I don't think I'll be rushing out and doing this mod anytime soon. I guess after a while I'll know better, but it seem to me that I'll only become more familiar with the feel of the current setup. If those lighter weight springs work out then I might, but again - I'm in no rush.

Does this make me a retard?

PS - my first impression of this 996 is that we're going to get along JUST FINE!!! This thing goes like stink.
Congrats Jasper! Maybe the '02's clutch pedal/spring combo is better than the MK1 version? My pedal felt like it had way too much travel, and, felt like a toy, noises and all. I am anxious to try the new stiff pedal feel out on the road. Maybe if it stops raining tonight...?
Old 04-16-2007, 05:05 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I went into the shop today and took my booster spring apart. I found several springs that would work and fit one that will give approx the same compression and extension as the original but so light that I can compress it fully with my fingers. It is much smaller in diameter, approx 3/8" ID and about 3.5" long. It should be enough to return the pedal to the original position and make the CC function. I left it at the shop so maybe I'll remember it tomorrow and will report back how it works.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:11 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nick49
I went into the shop today and took my booster spring apart. I found several springs that would work and fit one that will give approx the same compression and extension as the original but so light that I can compress it fully with my fingers. It is much smaller in diameter, approx 3/8" ID and about 3.5" long. It should be enough to return the pedal to the original position and make the CC function. I left it at the shop so maybe I'll remember it tomorrow and will report back how it works.
Cool! Post photos too. And see if you notice strange hollow spring noises when you use the clutch.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:33 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I like the "glue a pencil eraser head on the switch" idea, gonna try it.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:38 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
I like the "glue a pencil eraser head on the switch" idea, gonna try it.
Me too. Maybe something a little more solid. Maybe a bic pen cap, or just the top 1/4 inch, glued on top of the little plunger? Rubber to plastic doesn't glue very well.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:37 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

oh yeah the pen cap on the switch trick
Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Today being my day off, and having time to fool around with my car, made it worthwhile to drive back to the shop (24 miles R/T) and pick up my modified booster spring.

Again a frustrating experience for me to fit under there and fit the assembly in place. My arms from hands to elbows are just a little on the long side and shoulders a tad wide to do the job easily. But at least I didn't get sick like the first time.

It went in fine (Ha) and I went for a test drive. The CC now works flawlessly and the clutch pedal springs back to full extension with no lash and I have the feel of a real clutch. BTW in an earlier post I mentioned fitting a weak, probably 2-3# spring I found in my shop in the canister. Also the std spring is 4" long when removed.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:47 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just tried my car without the spring, and I think I love it! Pedal has less travel, and the shifts are crisp and smooth compared to with the spring.

And, my CC works fine without the spring for some reason.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyK
I just tried my car without the spring, and I think I love it! Pedal has less travel, and the shifts are crisp and smooth compared to with the spring.

And, my CC works fine without the spring for some reason.
It's awesome, isn't it? Quick shifts w/o jerking like a manual-newbie.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:18 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ArneeA
It's awesome, isn't it? Quick shifts w/o jerking like a manual-newbie.
Yes, the shifting is quicker! I guess the stronger spring back forces you to release the pedal in a smooth, quick motion, allowing faster shifting. And without the spring, it seems the pedal travel has decreased a lot - at least it feels like that! Overall, it just feels more natural. The removal of the spring makes the pedal feel like it's part of your leg! And, it feels more like a race car, rather than a mush ball!

Are we sure removing this spring wont break anything??
Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyK
Are we sure removing this spring wont break anything??
Our knees?

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically