Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:33 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Our knees?
Good point! When I first tried it, I thought "Uh oh, this is very stiff". By the time my ride was over, I was totally used to it--like others have said. It's all what you are used to.

Of course, getting stuck in traffic might make me beg for the spring!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone in socal wanna meet up and help me do this....? i looked under the car and i have no idea what i am looking at......... anyone have a pic....? not diagram.......
Old 04-16-2007, 11:11 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you can stick yourself under the dash, and remove that vent tube, it's kinda easy. You look at the top of the clutch pedal, and you will see the spring canister, looking like the photo on page 2(?). Put a pin or nail in the hole, use a plyers to pull the retaining clip on the pin, push the pin out as far as you can, then push the clutch all the way down with your arm. The pin should wobble out, and the canister with the spring should be loose enough to work free from the bracket. Done!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

cool andy.... ill give that a try......
Old 04-16-2007, 11:56 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

OK, My thinking to extending the switch (CC) or extending the "tit" on the pedal is all wrong.
THE REAL SOLUTION IS that the clutch isnt reaching its full upright position and its not reaching its bump stop, hence having 1/4" play. Ding, Ding, Ding. I took a piece of vacuum hose (@1" long and 3/8" diam) and tie wrapped up against the clutch bumpstop. Now, no clutch play and CC works just fine.
I also found out that the CC switch is adjustable in length, just pull or push till you hear a click. It also helps to remove the CC switch while trying to tie wrap the piece of hose. Just turn the CC switch and pull out. All you need is one tie wrap, I tie wrapped the 1" hose right in the middle of the clutch bumpstop, no more clutch play.
This is way better than a pencil eraser... Cheers

Last edited by redridge; 04-17-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:25 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
anyone in socal wanna meet up and help me do this....? i looked under the car and i have no idea what i am looking at......... anyone have a pic....? not diagram.......

I can help you, but I'm in Riverside and I believe you're in SD... it's up to you if you want to drive that far for a 15 min job.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

do you know how to do the short shifter as well Arnee A? if so, that's well worth the time.......
Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
OK, My thinking to extending the switch (CC) or extending the "tit" on the pedal is all wrong.
THE REAL SOLUTION IS that the clutch isnt reaching its full upright position and its not reaching its bump stop, hence having 1/4" play. Ding, Ding, Ding. I took a piece of vacuum hose (@1" long and 3/8" diam) and tie wrapped up against the clutch bumpstop. Now, no clutch play and CC works just fine.
I also found out that the CC switch is adjustable in length, just pull or push till you hear a click. It also helps to remove the CC switch while trying to tie wrap the piece of hose. Just turn the CC switch and pull out. All you need is one tie wrap, I tie wrapped the 1" hose right in the middle of the clutch bumpstop, no more clutch play.
This is way better than a pencil eraser... Cheers
Interesting! I was trying to think of another way! Does gluing a piece of rubber make more sense than tying a piece of hose on there? I don't remember how much surface space there is on the backstop. Can you post a photo??
Old 04-17-2007, 11:27 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AndyK
Interesting! I was trying to think of another way! Does gluing a piece of rubber make more sense than tying a piece of hose on there? I don't remember how much surface space there is on the backstop. Can you post a photo??

actually the hose is perfect cause it acts like a spring when it is compressed by the clutch. Gluing rubber would work but you have to get one that is about .25"-.35"...but I think thats the benefit of the vacuum hose as it comforms to the desired thickness that the clutch need to rest on when it compresses it.
I tried to post pics before. here goes
Old 04-17-2007, 11:48 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hard to see, but looks like a fat vacuum hose. I'll give that a try!

Since my cruise control works minus the spring, I may just leave everything alone. Having LESS clutch pedal travel is better!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
do you know how to do the short shifter as well Arnee A? if so, that's well worth the time.......
No, I haven't done a short shifter. Seriously, go under there and take a look. Pull the vent tube by hand sideways -- it will give a clearer picture.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
No, I haven't done a short shifter. Seriously, go under there and take a look. Pull the vent tube by hand sideways -- it will give a clearer picture.
You two guys should get together and do both mods, clutch spring and SSK. SSK is not that difficult. The first SSK install will take you 2 to 2.5 hours, the second will take 1.5 hours or less.

BTW - There are a lot of guys here that have the experience and info to help if you need it.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

that's what i'm saying.... we should get a socal get together for these mods........ WHO'S IN??????
Old 04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nycebo
Doug already has a couple of guys lined up for the spring, so it's clear that we need to organize a group buy. I think it needs a minimum of ten (correct me if I'm wrong Doug). So add your name to the list and I'll put it together.

So far, I make +1.
Group buy yet?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:58 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Im in, what are we buying, a spring? yeah Im in

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically