996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 PM
jacksonking
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway... I was so smitten with this post that I snuck home in the rain today at lunch and wedged myself in the footwell. WOW!! This is such a change. Will take a little getting used to, but I think I really like it. Much less pedal travel. Pedal may not come back enough on my 99 to depress the cruise switch. If I need to, I'll superglue a pencil eraser on the tip of the switch so it will function. REALLY different feel and much more pressure required when releasing the clutch pedal. Anyone who does not complete this mod is a retard.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:07 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I worry that it might not seem like too much effort when driving on clear roads, but hitting the Parkway in the summer beach traffic with a "racing clutch" might not be fun!?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did it. Great "mod."

A couple of notes: 1) If you EVER, I mean EVER, want to replace the apparatus back, use a pin or nail instead of a wire at the end of the piston. If you use a wire, the K of the spring might be strong enough to slightly bend the wire. This will allow the spring to uncompress enough NOT to be able to put it back.

The spring's K is pretty high, I tried to compress it to at least 1mm or 2mm to be able to put a nail instead of the wire that I used but no cigar.

2) It's easier NOT to remove the pin and lock as nick49 stated on Post #52. Just depress the clutch pedal enough to loosen the unit.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm I have never had any stalling problems with the stock setup. Any other converts?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonking
... Anyone who does not complete this mod is a retard.
I LOVE it. That's a pretty definitive approval of this mod!

So, the spring helps to *release* the clutch..ie bring the pedal up to the top? Does that mean it takes more effort to depress the thing. I'm (easily apparantly) confused.

thx
Old 04-11-2007, 12:15 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spring helps to push the pedal down the floor.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ArneeA
The spring helps to push the pedal down the floor.
OK - just looked at the diagram and see exactly how it works. I guess I could have taken the time to do that *before* I posted and made myself look dumber than I actually am. I see it doesn't really begin to act until the pedal is down 1/4 of the way or so. Perhaps I can expect a kind of "over centre" feel.

Remember I'm (anxiously) awaiting the delivery of my new car, so I haven't actually felt the effect yet. Just rying to get into a groove here. Glad to see these cars are as interesting to play with as the old cars.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:46 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
OK - just looked at the diagram and see exactly how it works. I guess I could have taken the time to do that *before* I posted and made myself look dumber than I actually am. I see it doesn't really begin to act until the pedal is down 1/4 of the way or so. Perhaps I can expect a kind of "over centre" feel.

Remember I'm (anxiously) awaiting the delivery of my new car, so I haven't actually felt the effect yet. Just rying to get into a groove here. Glad to see these cars are as interesting to play with as the old cars.
You and me both! I get my car on Friday. And these 996 guys weren't kidding about mods - I have two planned before I even have the car!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:46 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm definitely going to try this mod this weekend. While I've rarely ever stalled the car (all doubter, please note that I did say 'rarely' and not 'never'), I always felt that getting off the line in the car was always a little weak. I wasn't sure if it was the throttle engagement drive by wire, a worn clutch (doubtful with only 16k miles), or something with the motronic control at low revs. Now, it seems that it's simply a desensitized clutch as a result of PCNA's desire to make things easier for the ladies. Having driven Ferraris here and there a bit, a harder clutch does not necessitate a harder driving experience. Actually, if the clutch feels more responsive and engagement is smoother, than it can actually be easier on the leg since you're spending less time on the clutch trying to feel your way back into gear (something I quite often do with the Porsche). Anyway, seems easily reversible if the feel is not to my liking. Thanks again for the great tip (and 1999, don't know how this passed by without notice when you posted it a while back...go figure).
Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
I'm definitely going to try this mod this weekend. While I've rarely ever stalled the car (all doubter, please note that I did say 'rarely' and not 'never'), I always felt that getting off the line in the car was always a little weak. I wasn't sure if it was the throttle engagement drive by wire, a worn clutch (doubtful with only 16k miles), or something with the motronic control at low revs. Now, it seems that it's simply a desensitized clutch as a result of PCNA's desire to make things easier for the ladies. Having driven Ferraris here and there a bit, a harder clutch does not necessitate a harder driving experience. Actually, if the clutch feels more responsive and engagement is smoother, than it can actually be easier on the leg since you're spending less time on the clutch trying to feel your way back into gear (something I quite often do with the Porsche). Anyway, seems easily reversible if the feel is not to my liking. Thanks again for the great tip (and 1999, don't know how this passed by without notice when you posted it a while back...go figure).

There is no doubt that eliminating the spring greatly increases the ability to feather the clutch at will. The design of the spring makes it want to jump near the top of the pedal stroke.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 PM
rleeq
Racer

I did the mod this morning before going to work. Mikey likes it!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:41 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Hmm I have never had any stalling problems with the stock setup. Any other converts?
me neither...and I still did it...I don't know how I was able to live with the car before...it is like a new car now...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:44 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hamilton
When I was on the basketball team in high school, the captain of the team was a huge tool and his idea of having a laugh was to just call some random kid a bunch of names or make fun of his clothes or something. I was usually the only one who would tell him to knock it off. If you look at my other posts, I think it is pretty evident that I'm really not that serious. I guess I've always had a little bit of a hair-trigger about that same sort of "just joking around." I don't mind being hazed but if anyone has ever seen "The Man With Two Brains" with Steve Martin, this sort of thing is the equivalent of saying "cleaning woman" to me. And littering...I hate littering. I have gotten into three fights confronting litterers. Maybe I do have some issues...hmmmm. Sorry for temporarily hijacking the thread.
They make medicine for that...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So far, all but one who has done the mod has liked it.
Probably gonna have to try it also.......
Old 04-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

so it only takes around 10 mins and a plier..... am i missing anything else?

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically