Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:11 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramp
Just did the mod - a bit of a pain getting all the way under but once I decided to use some muscle and leverage, I got it out no problem. At first it seemed very hard but after 5 minutes, I decided this was a significant improvement. There is simply no lag. The engagement is quick and smooth. I feel that I am now driving the car as it should be driven. My acceleration and shifts are much quicker. I am not going back and don't think I want to go to a mod spring. The fact that you don't have nearly as much pedal travel, imo, more than makes up for the slight increase in pedal pressure.

Keep in mind that pre-mod, you had much more travel so even with less pressure, I think over the long haul you'll end up with more of a work out than with more pressure and less travel - if that makes sense.
I do notice way more travel with the spring back in, even though everyone says there is not much difference in travel. Whatever! I do like the easier shifting with the spring. I am guessing the half spring will do the trick!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Ramp
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
even though everyone says there is not much difference in travel. Whatever!
Maybe the age of the clutch makes a difference in travel -not sure -my clutch has 2k miles on it and I can say with no doubt I have significantly less travel than pre-mod.

Like you said, whatever, I love it.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:06 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

What about my pin question. For those of you who took the spring out and put it back a few times, how did you get that pin in the correct way? And, with the retaining clip off, what are the chances the pin backs all the way out and the spring falls off?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:20 AM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do notice way more travel with the spring back in, even though everyone says there is not much difference in travel. Whatever! I do like the easier shifting with the spring. I am guessing the half spring will do the trick!
Originally Posted by Ramp
Maybe the age of the clutch makes a difference in travel -not sure -my clutch has 2k miles on it and I can say with no doubt I have significantly less travel than pre-mod.
C'mon guys.

I don't want to start a war here, but the pedal has to travel the same distance to disengage the clutch whether there's a spring there to help it or not. The only reasons this would not be are a) without the spring the pedal drops a fraction of an inch from it's topmost position and b) because of the higher effort you're not getting your foot all the way to the floor.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Ramp
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamVA
C'mon guys.

I don't want to start a war here, but the pedal has to travel the same distance to disengage the clutch whether there's a spring there to help it or not. The only reasons this would not be are a) without the spring the pedal drops a fraction of an inch from it's topmost position and b) because of the higher effort you're not getting your foot all the way to the floor.
No war - maybe your right - I don't know for sure so I won't argue. What I can say is that, for me, this was a great mod. After one day of driving, I don't notice the pressure increase, I like the feel much better, it at least "feels" like there is less travel, clutch engagement "feels" quicker and smoother, I am shifting quicker and smoother and thus the car is accelerating quicker and smoother. All around, a plus for me.

Fair enough ?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:27 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

drove it all morning, def a great mod...feels like more feedback on engagent and like the siffer feel. No more perdal play here, and cc works fine.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:29 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think what people feel when they say there is less pedal travel is the effect of the short engagement throw of the clutch clutch itseld; from full engagement to full disengagement. The spring makes it feel like you need the whole pedal travel, which is far from the case. In fact, you could half the pedal travel and the clutch would operate fine.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Dscott
8th Gear

I replaced the OEM spring with one that produces about 1/3 of the original bad effects on clutch-pedal feel and found after several days of driving that it provides a nice compromise between no-spring and the OEM unit.

As others have pointed out, I was bothered by what I considered to be excessive play in the pedal when fully released after the OEM spring was removed; maybe 3/4" at the pedal. But on the other hand I definitely appreciated the improved pedal feel w/o the spring. I wanted the best of both approaches.

I carefully dismantled the OEM helper-spring unit, measured the original spring, and then searched for possible replacement springs. Watch out when taking this unit apart because this beast has about 85 pounds of force when pinned. I placed the unit’s pin end in the corner between a post and the floor, then used by feet to press down on the body while a helper removed the restraining pin. Re-assembly was a non-issue since the replacement spring is sooo much weaker.

The only spring of appropriate size that I found was McMaster-Carr P/N 9657K142 that was in stock and selling for $7 for a set of 6 springs. Ground shipping added anther $4 so the total cost was ~$11. Of course, I now have 5 spares…

The photos I wanted to include showed some comparisons between the springs. Unfortunately there is an un-specified minimum number of postings required before I'm permitted to include such attachments. Therefore, if you'd like copies just send me a PM with your e-mail address. Anyway, the key specifications for the OEM vs Replacement springs are:
  • Closed and ground ends.
  • Minimum overall lengths (4-1/8 vs 3-1/2).
  • Springs' inside diameters (0.79 vs 0.77).
  • Wire diameters (0.142 vs 0.120).
  • Number of active coils (12-1/4 vs 10-3/4).
  • Resulting spring rates are about 58lbs/in vs 40. <= I know this doesn't sound like much, but combined with the shorter spring length means there is only about 1/3 as much force applied to the pedal.

Re-installation requires about the same amount of pain as removal. Before you start though, remember to check which side the bolt-head-end of the pivot-pin fits back into on the pedal assembly. I initially set the body 90 degrees from normal so that when I pushed the pedal down by hand so I could align the pivot pin with the pedal, then push the body up in to place, and twist it back to where it belongs as I let up on the pedal. Then just pull out the restraining pin.

While examining the OEM assembly I noted wear on the pivot pin where it rotates in its bushing; 2000 C4 coupe. This might be the source of the often-reported clutch-pedal squeaks; mine wasn't. I don’t understand Porsche’s caution against applying grease to this spot, but I can tell you that it is probably impossible to get any in to this area while the unit's installed.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:50 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

hey good info..... if you send me the pics on email, i'll post them here for you.......
Old 04-23-2007, 10:37 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would a weak spring be too weak to move the clutch? I worry a weak spring would wind up doing nothing, and the plastic spring housing would just be sandwiched between the clutch pedal and the clutch--know what I mean?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:20 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Would a weak spring be too weak to move the clutch? I worry a weak spring would wind up doing nothing, and the plastic spring housing would just be sandwiched between the clutch pedal and the clutch--know what I mean?
really the only thing the weeak spring would do is to get rid of the slop (play) in the clutch when not depressed. It will also aid if you want a DD feel.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:27 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
really the only thing the weeak spring would do is to get rid of the slop (play) in the clutch when not depressed. It will also aid if you want a DD feel.
DD feel?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:45 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Daily Driver (light clutch)
Old 04-23-2007, 11:51 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
Daily Driver (light clutch)
Ah. Got it!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:53 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dscott
Re-installation requires about the same amount of pain as removal. Before you start though, remember to check which side the bolt-head-end of the pivot-pin fits back into on the pedal assembly. I initially set the body 90 degrees from normal so that when I pushed the pedal down by hand so I could align the pivot pin with the pedal, then push the body up in to place, and twist it back to where it belongs as I let up on the pedal. Then just pull out the restraining pin..
Interesting! You put the unit back into the pedal first, put the pin in, then rotate it back into the gold bracket? Will it always rotate right into position, so the nipples (he-he) go back into their receiver holes in the bracket?

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically