996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Improved Clutch Action Dramatically

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the home depot spring to take the play out of the pedal. A year later I still love the mod. I'm over 50, have bad knees and I still don't find it hard to push in the clutch. The feel is totally linear now and it is much easier drive smoothly.

Either I'm lucky with my particular clutch or some of you need to hit the weight room.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hamilton
Tim,

No sweat man. I did over-react. I was having a bad day and I snapped. I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Grant

Tell the truth Hamilton. You just took the medicine lol
Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by wdonovan
I have a question about a possible serious issue with this modification.
I did this procedure last week to my '02 C4. Yes, the clutch feels tighter, more sure. But.... I read somewhere (possibly in the factory service manual) that this spring has two functions. 1) To aid in depressing the clutch against the pressure plate springs and 2) to return the pedal to the fully up position. I noticed when removing the assembly, that the spring was in fact an overcenter arrangement, extending on both ends of the stroke. I have a small amount of free play in the pedal (maybe 1/4 inch?) and the pdeal is not held fully up without this booster spring inplace. While driving, if I put my foot against the side of the pedal, I can feel a vibration. If I pull the pedal up with my foot, the vibration disappears as the pedal comes up to the top of its stroke. My diagnosis of this situation is that possibly the pedal weight is keeping the pedal down at the end of its free play so that the throwout bearing is supporting the clutch pedal, not a return spring. If true,this would mean that the throwout bearing is alway spinning. Not sure if I like this arrangement. On the basis of having to pull the motor to prematurely replace a throwout bearing, I've decided to undo this modification, no matter how much it hurts to lay in the floor of the cockpit, upside down. I had no objections to the way the pedal fealt before the removal, just did it to see if it was better. I will oil the spring before reinstallation, although it did not cure the low pedal squeak as claimed earlier in this thread. Thoughts?
Bloody good move IMHO. Porsche didn't put that 'clutch pressurebooster' whatever where it is for no reason. Porsche is a top classic car designer. I am waiting for the modders maybe to come back on this board a year from now complaining on how they are going through clutch plates or thrust bearings like they are going out of fashion. For the life in me I can't imagine why people would even contemplate removing something which Porsche put on their creation. There are young females who drive these cars and their legs are not as powerful to push in a clutch pedal. I drove stick shift and nothing else for 30 years in the UK and 3 years in Germany. For the last 17 years I have drove automatics in the states. I am 70 years of age and it is a pleasure to once again to be driving a stick shift car for the past year. My clutch feels just the same as every other clutch car I have driven. It doesn't squeak. It isnt soft. Of course I have stalled the car if I dont get my revs right when moving from a standing position. I never ride or even feather a clutch. Then again it not up to me to be giving stick shift driving lessons to people on this board. Maybe all those who stall the car every time they drive it should be looking further into the problem because I don't think the problem is where they think it is. and thats me off my soap box. Mine is 1999 C2 996 Cab
Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Bretech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrljet
Did you try the suggested McMaster-Carr spring 9657K142 ?
No, where can I get one? Im still willing to give another go
Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bretech
No, where can I get one? Im still willing to give another go
Not to be a smart alec, but the obvious place is McMaster-Carr.

I have a few left.
Private message me for contact info and I'll send you one.

Bill
Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

BTDT Hated the way the clutch felt. Went by the stealership one day and asked how much for a new one. $116, installed. DONE!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM
gprosser
Instructor

116usd to fit a spring????!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gprosser
116usd to fit a spring????!
Superseded, improved part no less
Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Bretech
Instructor

Originally Posted by wrljet
Not to be a smart alec, but the obvious place is McMaster-Carr.

I have a few left.
Private message me for contact info and I'll send you one.

Bill
lol!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Default Spring back in.

I had problems with cruise control plus the clutch was really hard and figured I would put the spring back in. After doing maybe 100 miles it seems like the muscle memory takes over when changing gears and its way better than before. I will report in a weeks time if I stall the car, but I had couple stalls in traffic the last week anyways so not spring related, more like me being lazy in traffic in new city. But it looks promising. Take the spring off for few months learn the shifting distance and go back.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:18 PM
SSST
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikeswift
I had problems with cruise control plus the clutch was really hard and figured I would put the spring back in. After doing maybe 100 miles it seems like the muscle memory takes over when changing gears and its way better than before. I will report in a weeks time if I stall the car, but I had couple stalls in traffic the last week anyways so not spring related, more like me being lazy in traffic in new city. But it looks promising. Take the spring off for few months learn the shifting distance and go back.
The home depot spring mod described earlier fixes the cruise problem, and pushes the pedal to the top of its travel on the off chance that it really might cause problems with the thrust bearings.

I haven't stalled my car since I did the mod 10 months ago. As for being hard to push in the clutch, my 5' tall, 110 lb middle aged wife can drive it with no problems.

Some of you guys need to either man up or have your slave/accumulator checked.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Dummer and dumest... Try a little gas BEFORE releasing your clutch not visa versa. I always find it works much better that way. This thread sucks and so do the posters who take out the spring clutch assistor.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 AM
SSST
Drifting

To each his own Hurdi. These are brilliant cars, but they can be improved. Kind of like the improvements you made to the badging on your car.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:50 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by SSST
To each his own Hurdi. These are brilliant cars, but they can be improved. Kind of like the improvements you made to the badging on your car.
Hey I am not against adding something to a car but to take something out of it thats supposed to be there for the smooth running beats me. Theres something wrong with the driver IMHO. If not the driver then the bloody clutch and its working parts needs looking at. Taking a spring out. Oh yeh that will help no end. Do I detect a tad of sarcasm in your reply? LOL
Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 AM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

^^doh^^

Quick Reply: Improved Clutch Action Dramatically