Sponsored by:

The White Whale: my first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 01:37 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,794 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
If it's hands-on instruction for the entire time, that's fair IMO. I've been looking for a place to learn how to deal with rear-engined, non-LSD behaviors without resorting to sending a nice car off Buttonwillow Turn 1 on purpose. Maybe I'll see you there!
Regarding non-LSD, you are going to feel it during braking, as well as with inside wheel spin while coming out of a corner on the throttle. If you are a novice, you won't feel it at all. The car from the factory comes with a healthy dose of understeer.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:21 PM
circuit.heart
Instructor

Received 352 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 2mAn
Yea, I wanted my first on-track experience to be with Porsche pros/ instructors and feel it was worth it. Would i make it a regular thing? Not likely but it does make a better use of my time when I can take a random Thursday off and go track my car for a little while.

I have a few updates from the shop and it looks like my aggressive driving has yielded its first casualty. Chances are this would've happened eventually but it looks like the corrugated plastic hose was rubbing against stuff in the engine bay and has a pinhole leak that was revealed during the smoke test. They will repair this section and confirm that there are no other leaks. Initial patch showed the idle settle down.
Exactly that yeah - time is precious and I'd love to do a half-day track day just to learn the car, not aiming for time or anything like that. Why was the hose rubbing, are the motor mounts giving too much?

Originally Posted by GC996
Regarding non-LSD, you are going to feel it during braking, as well as with inside wheel spin while coming out of a corner on the throttle. If you are a novice, you won't feel it at all. The car from the factory comes with a healthy dose of understeer.
It took Mountune 500hp and Robin Shute to best my stock-power Focus RS lap time by a tenth, so we're probably past novice but risk-averse. Learning the C2 has been weird because the front just seems to wash out after a certain amount of trail-braking, so I don't have the confidence to push it on a public road. Skidpad time should tell me what I'm missing.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:25 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,794 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
It took Mountune 500hp and Robin Shute to best my stock-power Focus RS lap time by a tenth, so we're probably past novice but risk-averse. Learning the C2 has been weird because the front just seems to wash out after a certain amount of trail-braking, so I don't have the confidence to push it on a public road. Skidpad time should tell me what I'm missing.
Certainly not a novice. The car with or without a LSD is pretty forgiving. You know the routine, smooth inputs and you will be in great shape. Enjoy your 996!
The following users liked this post:
circuit.heart (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 05:48 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 165 Posts

Guys, I need advice.

Latest update from the shop:

"We removed the ICV, found damaged gasket, replaced the gasket, idle still surging and pending code for ICV, removed ICV again and performed a Bench Test. Resistance is reading 34 Ohms where its supposed to be 16-19 Ohms, so its out of range. It's heading in the direction where we have to replace the ICV"

I dont want to spend $600+ for a new ICV, are there other alternatives?
Old 11-08-2023, 07:43 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,580 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Guys, I need advice.

Latest update from the shop:

"We removed the ICV, found damaged gasket, replaced the gasket, idle still surging and pending code for ICV, removed ICV again and performed a Bench Test. Resistance is reading 34 Ohms where its supposed to be 16-19 Ohms, so its out of range. It's heading in the direction where we have to replace the ICV"

I dont want to spend $600+ for a new ICV, are there other alternatives?
Yea, $600 bucks is a lot of $$ for a sort of "guess"....of course very detailed-specific tests and oscilloscope tests at $150 per hr can burn up $600 bucks pretty quickly also ( 4 hrs) ..especially i you don't know the system like the back of your hand like I do..

Alternatives::

The best alternative would be to just grab a "known good" ICV from another car and try it...( has to be from a 99 C2 or 97-99 Boxster)

Or you can get a cheap new China E-bay ICV for about $25 bucks..........I have no idea of the quality of these or how likely a new one is to work 100% effectively for confirmation

Get a used OEM ICV from a dismantler.....Probably a 90%-95% chance it will be good...

BTW, your tests in the video were wrong... The ICV gets 12v to the center pin ( 9v is enough power for bench tests) and the two outer pins are "pulsed ground wires" ..( PWM)......so the rotating valve will "float" in one position if it receives the same "pulse width" ground from both outer pins..If one pin receives more pulses than the other, the rotating valve will move to close or open...These pulses can be seen and measured on an Oscilloscope ..Inside the DME are two transistors that drive these pulses...If the transistor has failed or is failing it can be replaced by ECU Doctors for a nominal fee....

Old 11-09-2023, 01:57 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

I needed something quick so a $25 eBay one is on its way while I sort out a more permanent solution...
Old 11-15-2023, 06:48 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

pending an update...

Might have the car back tomorrow

Last edited by 2mAn; 11-15-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:08 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Friend sent me this, and thought of you:

https://www.leboncoin.fr/offre/voitures/2327838099

2004 White and blue strip GT3.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:28 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Clean the ICV with carb cleaner first. They get really gummed up. I sprayed the interior valve with carb cleaner, let it soak, and began a process of cleaning out the goo with Q-tips. Repeat over and over again as necessary. It will initially look black, but actually it is bright silver inside. I would do this before replacing. You can test its movement with a 9V battery. It should not stick but have free movement back and forth.
TheChunkNorris (12-01-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 09:30 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I owe you guys an update. Got the car back before Thanksgiving have put a few hundred miles on it since then. Took it up to this past Friday’s Good Vibes Breakfast Club, but forgot to take a pic amongst all the others, so I stopped and snapped this pic on the way down.

on the way up I ended up leading a group of water cooled Porsche’s up to Newcombs Ranch, and the little 996 more than held its own against the portly 991s that were chasing. Wish I figured out who the guy was behind me as he had a forward facing go-pro but when we arrived his car became one of many black 991s so I couldn’t figure who it was... oh well.

Finally, got my first official for real for real track day next weekend at Streets of Willow! How much oil do I need to take with me 😂

Last edited by 2mAn; 12-03-2023 at 11:48 PM.
beermanpete (12-03-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Sorry, I owe you guys an update. Got the car back before Thanksgiving have put a few hundred miles on it since then. Took it up to this past Friday’s Good Vibes Breakfast Club, but forgot to take a pic amongst all the others, so I stopped and snapped this pic on the way down.

on the way up I ended up leading a group of water cooled Porsche’s up to Newcombs Ranch, and the little 996 more than held its own against the portly 991s that were chasing. Wish I figured out who the guy was behind me as he had a forward facing go-pro but when we arrived his car became one of many black 991s so I couldn’t figure who it was... oh well.

Finally, got my first official for real for real track day next weekend at Streets of Willow! How much oil do I need to take with me 😂
Newcomb's has been insane recently. I almost went up this Friday but could't make it. It's so public now, and with that Supra flipping over a few weeks ago, I'm sure the cop presence is only going to increase by a a lot.

For Willow did you do anything to get it track ready in case of oil starvation? I'd like to go there but concerned I'd overdo it with no engine prep.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:48 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben8jam
For Willow did you do anything to get it track ready in case of oil starvation? I'd like to go there but concerned I'd overdo it with no engine prep.
I’m avoiding Big Willow and it’s long , high-G right hander. My car has the larger oil sump and I’ll be sure the oil levels stay high. Not sure what else to do... that’s why I’m asking
Old 12-05-2023, 03:39 AM
circuit.heart
Instructor

Streets of Willow doesn't have any long turns except the last skidpad right (or first left, if running CCW), it's generally fine for any road car because you tend to square the corner off - brake deep, flip the car over, accel out. Maximum lateral G's is only for a second or two. I don't really know M96's well but we race Hondas there with no pan baffles and they can do it (vs instant death at Buttonwillow's Riverside).
2mAn (12-05-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 11:09 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Quite a day yesterday, started very early and made it to the local Rosamond Chevron to fill up the tank at 7am. At 25* it was quite a bit colder than the LA I left. Cold track to say the least...

saw this Elise at the gas station too, but he was heading to Big Willow so wouldn’t be on the track with us

Ready to go! This event at the Streets of Willow was put on by JMP Auto, a primarily BMW shop. Needless to say, lots of bmws were around but there was a nice collection of other cars.

The JDM cars were special, one a home built 4AGE AE86 and a Renner built (another shop in LA, primarily Subies, located right across the street from the PEC-LA)

A GT4-RS that I had a fun battle with

...and finally, the wild child (hauler). S54 swapped E46 wagon

The first 2 morning sessions were slow and steady as I looked to find the best line, but I was all smiles.

Obligatory pic in front of the mural before I headed home. Quite a blast and I hope to return soon.

Best time was a 1:35 according to the one session that I was actually tracking my times haha There’s a lot more left in it. Im working on a video with the go-pro footage and hope to have that ready soon. Stay tuned !
The following 9 users liked this post by 2mAn:
beermanpete (12-13-2023), Ben8jam (12-10-2023), circuit.heart (12-11-2023), damage98MO (12-11-2023), plpete84 (12-11-2023), Porschetech3 (12-11-2023), silver99six (12-10-2023), TheChunkNorris (12-11-2023), wdb (12-11-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-11-2023, 10:15 AM
circuit.heart
Instructor

Nice! 1:35 is a perfectly sane time for a newcomer to SoW. Once you get hooked on this we'll have to meet at Buttonwillow

Last edited by circuit.heart; 12-11-2023 at 10:16 AM.
2mAn (12-11-2023)

Quick Reply: The White Whale: my first Porsche