996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The White Whale: my first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 02:51 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,407 Likes on 1,784 Posts

I always confirm the back side of those boots with an endoscope or mirror. They can look perfect from the front and be 50% off in the back. U can also drop the motor down a little to get your hand in there. Just loosen the motor mount bolts

No quiters here, get it done and go to the track.
The following 2 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
2mAn (09-27-2023), zbomb (09-27-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 03:47 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
No quitters here, get it done and go to the track.
100%

Where did we leave off? ... Vacuum leak and a ton of codes.

Step 1 was to pull off the airbox and grab the mini mirror to see if I could find anything on the crossover pipes. Luckily it didnt take long to see it. I took a pic so you could see it too...

Could it be an easy repair for once? with less than 24 hours to go?...

Yup! That was it. My first real drive was riddled with traffic as I used the smooth running idle as an excuse to drive the ~5 miles round trip to pick up my daughter from Daycare. She gets more excited to see the Porsche than my wife does haha

So the next day was at the PEC.

All smiles

My buddy joined me and took some pics. I have some more on the way. Next post will have em
Old 10-02-2023, 05:42 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Glad to help u get it on the track....where all 996s deserve to be.
The following users liked this post:
2mAn (10-02-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 05:46 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Action shots!

Car did mostly wonderful, I was having a good time pushing it for the full session. However, it wasnt totally flawless. I had a code for P1397, Camshaft Position Sensor 2. Car wasnt running odd so I ignored it. After the session I checked the codes again, especially since there was a random idle surge that came and went. P1514 Idle Air Control Valve Opening & P1551 Idle Air Control Valve Closing. Sounds like I need to pull the Idle Control Valve and clean it out, but not sure what to do about the Camshaft Position Sensor.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:02 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Check the cps connector and the ground point. Its drivers side, firewall side of the head. It has a few brown wires to the bolt and u can see it from the bottom looking up past the trans. U may just have to replace it.

Its great u got it out in the track.
2mAn (10-03-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 11:45 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

I have another thread specifically happening but it’s been a month since I’ve driven the car… generally it will be on the weekends but I’ve had this issue. Combined my videos into this.

Old 10-29-2023, 12:00 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

How was the PEC day? What do you get to do there? I've been for their Car n Coffee, but never inquired about bringing my car for a run.
Old 10-29-2023, 08:36 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben8jam
How was the PEC day? What do you get to do there? I've been for their Car n Coffee, but never inquired about bringing my car for a run.
its not cheap ($550 all in) for 1.5 hours.

if that hasn’t scared you away it’s not a bad deal overall. They take you to the wet skidpad to let you practice correcting a slide, then the autocross and the kick plate (a test in counter steering and quick hands). That will eat up about an hour then you do lead-follow for the last half hour around their track. I enjoyed it but it’s far too rich for my blood to do on a regular basis. The track is perfect for a 996 or 997. There was plenty of 500bhp cars that likely didn’t have as much fun as I did.

the instructor smiled when we went to the wet skidpad. He told me to try it the first few times without traction control and got the smile when I told him my car has none
Fracture (11-08-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 02:22 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Trying to get the car ready for a track day or two in December and wouldn't you know it... its only a month away. After unsuccessfully fixing the lumpy idle and having some adjustable Arms to install I sent the car to JMP Autowerks will be handling the install of the adjustable arms in addition to dealing with the idle issue.

Parts include: Front bump steer, Front GT3 Lower Control Arns, Front Adjustable Thrust Arms, Rear Adjustable Toe Arms, and Rear Toe Arm Locking Plates

Thats cool, but Im more excited with the alignment and corner balance that will come with it. Should be quite a bit of fun and we'll see if this as light as I think it is. My numbers going off a stock curb weight of 2901 puts my car right around 2800... Im going to limit my expectations to 2999 max, but we'll see.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:06 PM
circuit.heart
Instructor

Received 352 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 2mAn
its not cheap ($550 all in) for 1.5 hours.
if that hasn’t scared you away it’s not a bad deal overall. They take you to the wet skidpad to let you practice correcting a slide, then the autocross and the kick plate (a test in counter steering and quick hands). That will eat up about an hour then you do lead-follow for the last half hour around their track.
If it's hands-on instruction for the entire time, that's fair IMO. I've been looking for a place to learn how to deal with rear-engined, non-LSD behaviors without resorting to sending a nice car off Buttonwillow Turn 1 on purpose. Maybe I'll see you there!
Old 11-07-2023, 10:17 AM
DVB5150
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

Killer car! I have a 2000 996 that’s currently getting a full rebuild with 3.8 nickies/the works for bulletproofing and functional performance stuff and I cannot wait to see the car feels when it’s done.

I worked for a company based in LA for two years and did a few Good Vibes drives with loaner 996s. Great people!
2mAn (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 11:29 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
If it's hands-on instruction for the entire time, that's fair IMO. I've been looking for a place to learn how to deal with rear-engined, non-LSD behaviors without resorting to sending a nice car off Buttonwillow Turn 1 on purpose. Maybe I'll see you there!
Yea, I wanted my first on-track experience to be with Porsche pros/ instructors and feel it was worth it. Would i make it a regular thing? Not likely but it does make a better use of my time when I can take a random Thursday off and go track my car for a little while.

I have a few updates from the shop and it looks like my aggressive driving has yielded its first casualty. Chances are this would've happened eventually but it looks like the corrugated plastic hose was rubbing against stuff in the engine bay and has a pinhole leak that was revealed during the smoke test. They will repair this section and confirm that there are no other leaks. Initial patch showed the idle settle down.

The other update was that these arms will not work. Looks like the solid bushing wont fit, but luckily the old arm still has a good rubber bushing.

circuit.heart (11-08-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 12:56 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 242 Likes on 172 Posts

Coolant level low? Leaky black cap Maybe?
Old 11-08-2023, 10:57 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I think u should actually weigh the car. I highly doubt u will get it that light but maybe???
6 months later... the estimate of 2750 does seem a tad bit harder to get to, but I still think I can get there. The 26XXs that I had dreamt about are definitely a dream though.

Got the corner balance numbers yesterday. Looks like the 2901 from the factory must've been a DRY weight. They did another with ballast for me, but thats not relevant here

I have some Road & Track magazines from when the car was new and being tested against other cars and I'll see what they have them weighing in at.

The 2 next planned pieces should get me to ~3000# flat though, and those are confirmed numbers from others, but as usual I will weigh them myself to confirm. I think I can get to about 2950 relatively easily before the big money purchases need to start happening and it will be a long shot to get to 2750, but aim for the moon, right?
Old 11-08-2023, 01:20 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,056 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by 2mAn
6 months later... the estimate of 2750 does seem a tad bit harder to get to, but I still think I can get there. The 26XXs that I had dreamt about are definitely a dream though.

Got the corner balance numbers yesterday. Looks like the 2901 from the factory must've been a DRY weight. They did another with ballast for me, but thats not relevant here

I have some Road & Track magazines from when the car was new and being tested against other cars and I'll see what they have them weighing in at.

The 2 next planned pieces should get me to ~3000# flat though, and those are confirmed numbers from others, but as usual I will weigh them myself to confirm. I think I can get to about 2950 relatively easily before the big money purchases need to start happening and it will be a long shot to get to 2750, but aim for the moon, right?
2901 dry makes sense if fuel weighs about 6lbs a gallon(16.9gal capacity + 6lbs = 101.4lbs). At least you got numbers to prove it and not some wild assed guess.
2mAn (11-10-2023)

Quick Reply: The White Whale: my first Porsche