The White Whale: my first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 06:16 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
996.612.070.51 fixed wing without brake light
The prices on these harnesses has gone through the roof in the last few years so you may decide you can live with the tape.
Well... theres a Porsche Tax if I've ever seen one!... I plan to buy an OEM harness that is untouched and leave that with the stock decklid and will happily hack trim the fat out of this one

Old 01-30-2024, 06:22 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 707 Posts

lol, it's 'only' $500 at places like Gaudin and Delaware.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:44 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Its still more than I would want to spend. I think since this one is already beat up, I will strip it down and just have a good replacement sitting around...
Old 01-30-2024, 09:20 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,407 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Mashaw has the harness for $130 if u can get a hold if them.

http://mashaw.biz/GT3CupDecklid.asp

Still too much if u have an old factory regular harness to strip down.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:36 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Boss is gone, so I took his reserved spot.

Todays downpour is a sneak peak of what driving this thing daily is going to be like... and its not horrible, but the MPG sucks and could start to get ugly quick. At the least, its got me thinking already (its only been DD for one week)

In other news, I wanted to reply to @ZuffenZeus and show a pic of my cluster with its lights. Its different than the one posted, so not sure when they may have changed the layout of the cluster. I didnt remove the label but its off to the left, hidden.

Old 02-03-2024, 01:20 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Met up with @plpete84 during his visit to SoCal. We went up to Good Vibes Breakfast Club, normally a huge turnout but with a downpour yesterday And freezing temps a lot smaller turnout but I think we all had a great time. I took a few pics
Mine

996s + 1 generation newer

996s + 1 generation older
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (02-04-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 10:47 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Haven’t really done much since the Good Vibes event, barely driven the car. I did change the oil and replaced the stripped oil plug drain with a magnetic one from LN and still need to get this oil sent to Blackstone.

I took it out for a quick spin today and heard some troubling lifter tap. It doesn’t sound horrible other than actually being there. I have pretty limited time to inspect before a scheduled PCA auto cross on the 24th, so I’m hoping you guys can do 2 things for me.
(1) settle my nerves a little about this
(2) give me a few quick and easy areas to check

wishful thinking on both... but please!
Old 02-12-2024, 01:56 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,580 Likes on 2,075 Posts

It's an early 99...don't even think bore-scoring on this model, it's probably just a loose Cat or maybe carbon build-up on the pistons from driving it like an old Granny....lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
2mAn (02-13-2024), silver99six (03-16-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 05:04 AM
Ben8jam
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 2mAn
Haven’t really done much since the Good Vibes event, barely driven the car. I did change the oil and replaced the stripped oil plug drain with a magnetic one from LN and still need to get this oil sent to Blackstone.

I took it out for a quick spin today and heard some troubling lifter tap. It doesn’t sound horrible other than actually being there. I have pretty limited time to inspect before a scheduled PCA auto cross on the 24th, so I’m hoping you guys can do 2 things for me.
(1) settle my nerves a little about this
(2) give me a few quick and easy areas to check

wishful thinking on both... but please!
If any consolation mine has developed a tapping at high heat. After rather spirited driving to Newcombs on both occasions at the top I've noticed a noisy tapping sound. My mechanic said most likely it is a noisy lifter, nothing to be particularly concerned about, and a heavier oil on the next oil change would likely solve it. I wonder if when I bought the car they had used to have your oil when they change the oil and when I changed it again the lighter oil brought the problem forward. But yeah it's not fun to hear. Once the car cools down for 20 minutes noise is gone. mine is also an early build. no start up smoke no tail pipe buildup
2mAn (02-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 12:08 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

A month later... an update!

Shortly after my last post we closed on a house just a few miles from our Townhouse in Inglewood, but we're now in Westchester.A nice upgrade on the garage size, except now I have to move everything over to the new place and set it all up again. Goal is to get it nice and organized which means its going to take forever. Found so much old crap I'd forgotten about, but anyways thats one of the reasons for the lack of updates. I also got Shingles, so that was fun. I ended up missing the PCA autocross I had signed up for but they were nice and let me transfer that to the one coming up this weekend.

Anyways, were a bit more settled down and with the autocross coming up, I knew I needed to get under the car and do a quick looksee but also wanted to finally install these shorty mufflers. First 'wrenching' in the new garage is beginning. Time is limited so last night was just getting the car up, wheels off and reinstalling the coilpack heatshield that rattled itself loose.

Finally, I finished this little video here about the Rennline intake. I had originally planned to do a writeup with installation, but it was so easy and the footage was boring to watch I figured I could leave my final thoughts and move on to the next video which will probably be the autocross, and maybe the shorty muffler install.
silver99six (03-16-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 12:09 PM
matthew.a.tanner
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats, glad to see you back at it.
2mAn (03-13-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 01:34 PM
SleepyCyclist
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 113 Posts

congrats on the house! looking forward to seeing your garage progress too.
2mAn (03-19-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 09:37 AM
bmchan
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Note to self - get the shingles vaccine! Thanks.
2mAn (03-19-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 11:34 PM
silver99six
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats on the house! Car looks good in there - Rennline intake wasnt too much of a change huh?
2mAn (03-19-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 12:15 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matthew.a.tanner
Congrats, glad to see you back at it.
Thanks, cant wait to get these 'mufflers' installed.

Originally Posted by SleepyCyclist
congrats on the house! looking forward to seeing your garage progress too.
Organizing the garage is going to be a long task, especially since I want to have a cool setup... might be an evolution. Its also the 'studio' for The Tuman Show so I have to make it look nice

Originally Posted by bmchan
Note to self - get the shingles vaccine! Thanks.
Apparently they only ask people over 60 because people in their 40s rarely get it... I didn't even know, but I'm also stubborn enough to generally turn down most vaccines.

Originally Posted by silver99six
Congrats on the house! Car looks good in there - Rennline intake wasnt too much of a change huh?
Thank you! The intake certainly looks good, but hard to say if it actually did anything. I will dyno the car at some point and we'll see what this thing makes. I didnt have high hopes other than looking good, and it does.

Back to the Show, I took Friday off to "prep" the car, but just ended up running errands and going to GVBC again.

I dont know if I have gotten the 'official' pic in front of the sign with this car yet, so I did this time.

996 Content

I did a little lead/ follow with this 996 Turbo and he was impressed with my speed. I was NOT impressed with his low tread wear tires kicking up rocks on me haha

Yellow is faster

Red 911 anyone?

and the other impressive stuff

[

Only pic I took at the autocross of my car. I am working on a little video of this weekends shenanigans

The PCA-LA puts on a great event and my instructor Chris Weber was awesome. I improved from a 55 down to 50.3, but I was really hoping to get into the 49s and I probably could've if I was a little more brave in a few areas and a little more patient in others haha. Good times and I plan to attend some more soon, but I also want to get back to Streets of Willow as well as hit 1 or 2 new tracks this year. Buttonwillow should be one and hopefully I can finally pop my Laguna Seca cherry... we'll see.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2mAn:
igrip (05-14-2024), plpete84 (03-20-2024)

Quick Reply: The White Whale: my first Porsche