Another one bites the dust.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 05:57 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default I have built zero Porsche engines

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Are you trying to get the teacher sticker? Maybe the smiley face on your paper? Have you tried putting an apple on their desks? That used to work.

How many Porsche engines have you personally built?
i haven’t built a single one sir. I’ll say I have gone over more than 50,000 oil analysis in my life. I had fleets with over 1,000 engines under my care. The builder who sets the tolerances and should know about viscometrics, specifies the oil film required to achieved full film lubrication no metal to metal contact, but what finish happening with most if not all engine builders is that the engines start developing failures. The way new oil specs categories are developed is addressing the issues with the engines, so if you know about specs that
is why you have an engine test for wear, you have another test for oil evaporation consumption, you have another test for engine cleanliness deposits, another one for fuel economy, etc, etc. , every single of them has an Achilles hill and that’s How they petition for a new spec, addressing all the issues that they have going on in the field, under real driving conditions. The committee that drafts the specs is comprised of auto manufacturers, oil companies, additive companies, every body involved in the game, pretty interesting dynamics. Who are you going to thrust more, Porsche who built a gazillion engines or somebody that has built what 5,000.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:08 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,579 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Hiding. Every time I show up here there is some kind of fight going on. If it's not an IMS debate or how to make the M96 accept a dry sump oil system, there is someone attacking the very few knowledgeable contributors to this forum.

I still read a lot of information on Rennlist including the progress on your AOS invention. Congratulations.
Thanks man!

Can I now see images of all your certificates, degrees, etc.? I see that's the new Rennlist standard?
Yes, but show yours first .. ..I'm still waiting on my Honorary Doctorate Degree from Rennlist. I need to hang it on the wall with the others. I wonder what's taking so long??
signed:: Dr. h. c. Porschetech3
Old 05-19-2021, 06:18 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Tech 3 you really know your stuff

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Thanks man!

Yes, but show yours first .. ..I'm still waiting on my Honorary Doctorate Degree from Rennlist. I need to hang it on the wall with the others. I wonder what's taking so long??
signed:: Dr. h. c. Porschetech3
you have the knowledge and a bunch of experience, you got my admiration, anyway a 2001 3.4 has developed a vibration above 3,500 rpm. Has been said that it is a rear crankshaft bearing issue, is there is a chance that this could be a crankshaft position sensor??? Your input knowledge is appreciated. This is a low mileage engine less than 40,000 miles,
Old 05-19-2021, 06:32 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Not really sure I would like to use anything from this particular core for a build in the 15 to 20k range.,
Old 05-19-2021, 07:11 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,406 Likes on 1,783 Posts

3/98 please give it a rest. I know u r trying to make a point but please do it in another thread. If u come across anything that would help in the rebuild please speak up.

Jake i understand your point. I have not bothered to open up a ticket because although i feel your product is worth every penny the logistics of having u build me a motor does not fit with my plan. Honestly if u had a 3.4-3.6l tp motor on the shelf i would drive down this weekend for it. I do know this is not how u run your buisness/shop and u understand why. I still may inquire about a core hook up but im not there yet and i dont want to waste anyones time.

I also think that there r others that can give me a suitable product based in their experience level. Maybe its compromise that will bite me in the a$$ but if i am comfortable with the secret sauce from another builder i will use them. Just as u would expect me to trust what u r doing there r others that can be trusted too (hopefully). Im sure u know i am not going out and buying a steel lined block and building a motor as cheaply as possible. As always u r welcome to join in with your input even if others pull it off topic.

Getting back to why my car is getting a new motor. This showed up today. Ohlin gt3 set up. Used a shop called 3DM Suspensions out of virginia. Very knowledgable and we figured out tge difference and the extra parts needed to make a gt3 kit work on a c2. Mainly because the only ohlin kits available for any 996 variant is the gt3 kit. At the time i didnt want to wait to sept. Know i could use the money

The following 3 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
DGI (09-04-2021), plpete84 (05-20-2021), Ratchet1025 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 07:24 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

All the more motivation to get her back up.

Barry is a good guy. I believe the GT3 rates are more aggressive than the C2, you’re going to dig it.
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
plpete84 (05-20-2021), Ratchet1025 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 07:47 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zbomb
All the more motivation to get her back up.

Barry is a good guy. I believe the GT3 rates are more aggressive than the C2, you’re going to dig it.

yup stiffer and a bump up in valving too. Not quite to their new dedicated track shock rates so hopefully street drving wont be too bad.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:45 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Jake i understand your point. I have not bothered to open up a ticket because although i feel your product is worth every penny the logistics of having u build me a motor does not fit with my plan. Honestly if u had a 3.4-3.6l tp motor on the shelf i would drive down this weekend for it. I do know this is not how u run your buisness/shop and u understand why. I still may inquire about a core hook up but im not there yet and i dont want to waste anyones time.

I also think that there r others that can give me a suitable product based in their experience level. Maybe its compromise that will bite me in the a$$ but if i am comfortable with the secret sauce from another builder i will use them. Just as u would expect me to trust what u r doing there r others that can be trusted too (hopefully). Im sure u know i am not going out and buying a steel lined block and building a motor as cheaply as possible.
It's all good.
I think that people that can do this job themselves, should do the job themselves. I'm confident that you can do a better job that pretty much anything that you could buy. The problem that you are going to have now is getting parts. We made huge orders as the onset of Covid and have maintained really well because of it, and have stayed on top of ordering 1 year in advance. Every piston company is 12-16 weeks out, there's no timing chains, no rear main seals, and other parts are running out daily. Most are not getting replenished since the containers are sitting offshore and the ports can't handle the discharges. I see a lot of engines being built mostly from used parts really soon, since those that were not prepared cannot get new parts. Be very careful as a purchaser to ensure the build is photo documented, else you may end up with used parts that were supposed to be new.

What we do isn't for everyone, it isn't even for the majority.

If I see a deal on a core I will let you know.
The following 5 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
duff76 (02-25-2022), Gingerman (05-20-2021), jobyt (05-20-2021), Just one more (05-19-2021), Porschetech3 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 12:37 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the heads up on parts. I figured it wasnt restriced to the construction industry.
The following users liked this post:
NYoutftr (05-22-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:59 AM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Again not turning this thread into a debate over imsb. Im a very well educated customer on this and i can choose the bearing i want with this builder.
Absolutely!
Old 05-20-2021, 01:28 PM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the heads up on parts. I figured it wasnt restriced to the construction industry.
Material costs and availability is getting real old in that realm for me.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:47 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nrp3
Material costs and availability is getting real old in that realm for me.
The delayed response from 2020 has really hit. I knew it would, so we have been ok for now, and should be till the end of the year. I reallocated one of my employees to the role of only sourcing components because of this. She works 10 hour days making sure that we stay 6+ months ahead when it comes to having all the parts for every build.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:02 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

As promised the rod and main bearing thicknesses. Im not really sure what they r suppose to be but there r mine at 200k.

Can u find the bad main?

The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 11:14 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Now clean and torque up the crank carrier, and measure the housing bore diameters with a bore gauge in 3 different axes. Do this first without the main bearings fitted, then do the exact same thing with the bearings fitted to the positions they were removed from.
This exercise will be enlightening.
Record and share your values.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:51 AM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

Nope, across many sectors. I moonlight in the bike industry and critical drivetrain and brakes from major manufacturers are practically unavailable in the aftermarket. Bike Manufacturers get first shipments of the parts when and if they become available so they can ship product, but the downstream effect is that the shops are suffering due to lack of inventory to complete repairs. Customers are in a tough place as certain replacement parts have been like finding hens teeth, so they are sometimes off the bike or have to make due with lower quality stuff if they want to stay on the bike.

Ford just announced temporary closing of 8 plants (!!!) due to chip shortages. This includes some F-150 production, so that's a HUGE tell in how the global supply chain has been affected. I've seen forecasts that Q2/Q3 22 is the earliest that things will be 'back to normal'.

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust.