Sponsored by:

Another one bites the dust.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 12:00 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,406 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Now clean and torque up the crank carrier, and measure the housing bore diameters with a bore gauge in 3 different axes. Do this first without the main bearings fitted, then do the exact same thing with the bearings fitted to the positions they were removed from.
This exercise will be enlightening.
Record and share your values.

Sorry im not sure i have the patients. I have a feeling the crank carrier us out if wack at 200k miles and contributed to both the issue with the main and the rod bolt stretching.

Also i didnt label the bearings.

The block, crank and pistons will become an end table/wine bottle holder for the man cave.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:19 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Well if anyone cares this is what it looks like if u want to "put away" a m96. Now that i have cleared out room in the shop on to jeep repair so u can buy porsche stuff .

Old 05-22-2021, 12:20 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by jobyt
Nope, across many sectors. I moonlight in the bike industry and critical drivetrain and brakes from major manufacturers are practically unavailable in the aftermarket. Bike Manufacturers get first shipments of the parts when and if they become available so they can ship product, but the downstream effect is that the shops are suffering due to lack of inventory to complete repairs. Customers are in a tough place as certain replacement parts have been like finding hens teeth, so they are sometimes off the bike or have to make due with lower quality stuff if they want to stay on the bike.

Ford just announced temporary closing of 8 plants (!!!) due to chip shortages. This includes some F-150 production, so that's a HUGE tell in how the global supply chain has been affected. I've seen forecasts that Q2/Q3 22 is the earliest that things will be 'back to normal'.
It has been a double edged sword for the automotive/ motorcycle/ power sports industries. Since during the worst of Covid people had time to work on projects, drive cars, and recreate and could not do much else. This drove the business lime mad! The increased demand was equally met with a lack of workforce to create and ship parts. Now we have a global shipping crisis where ships can't be offloaded and turned around quickly enough. Due to this all the shipping containers are on the water, and there's a line to just be able to acquire a container for shipping. As an example I have 3 vehicles sitting at the port in Amsterdam, 4 tractors at the port in Livorno Italy, and 15 vintage Honda ATCs in Japan. I am in line for containers for all of these, and there are none.

We have not been hurting for parts yet, and still haven't been a single day behind YET. We are killing it trying to source every part we need so it will arrive a minimum of 6 months before we need it. This is where the long backlog helps, as we have time and know exactly what we will need, and exactly when we need it for every engine. One benefit I have used is the relationship that we've built with wholesalers and importers by developing parts for them, and helping them when they have issues with production runs of parts that have issues. Last month we were having. timing chain shortage, and needed chains for the next 18 months of builds that were already allocated, and proposed as jobs. A distributor let us know that they had a pallet of them that had just landed, so I bought the whole thing. This will not get us to the finish line on chains though.. Every few days the supplies of another part run low, so the forecasting of what we need for the next 18 months is critical, so we stay on- time.

Shipping costs are also insane. Since there's no containers, we are having to pay 4-5X more to have items shipped via air freight.

June 1 I will make the decision to keep taking new orders, or to cease until the component issues are better, with more known pricing for Q3 of 2022, which is how far we are booked now. As it is now there's some engines that we will lose a significant amount of money on if we have to have parts shipped by air, and/ or pay the higher prices they are commanding. I will likely cease sales for 3-4 months to see what things look like.

People need to be extremely concerned with purchasing these engines, getting a FULL LIST of exactly what components, and what brand of components will be used in the engines. We are already seeing corners getting cut with more used parts being put back into service, and cheap parts being used, because the good parts are not available. Engine programs that are haphazard are being consumed by their own lack of foresight, forethought, preparation, resources, common sense. This will continue. Put simply, **** poor preparation is leading to **** poor performance, and excuses.

I knew all of this would happen, and I knew that we'd see a delayed Covid response that would lead to the virus being solved before our component and resource supplies would be. The day I saw them fogging the streets of Wuhan in February 2020 we started buy ing parts, and thinking about these issues then. That was not a day too early.
I will say that even in chaos, opportunity still exists, and in many ways we have been able to capitalize on these issues. Time will tell if that is going to continue. I am not taking a single break from these battles, and I actually love the challenges.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 05-22-2021 at 12:29 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
blacksquid (05-22-2021), GH996 (05-22-2021), jobyt (05-22-2021), Optionman1 (05-22-2021), wildbilly32 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 01:54 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Thanks for the vote of confidence and the heads up on parts. I figured it wasnt restriced to the construction industry.
As others have posted here it is across all sectors.
Not only hard goods but soft goods as well.
My wife and I sell boots, our mfg told me last week, in September it was about $7000.00 US for a container from Southeast Asia to Boston.
By December it was over $9000 US, February hit $11,000 US.
There are ports around the world with product that has significant distribution problems.
The Suez Canal only lasted a short time, but it put a huge ripple affect on import/export around the globe.
The forecast in retail for soft goods is going to be very bumpy.
Jake is pretty impressive with putting a person on sourcing products 6 months ahead.
I wish we saw this coming, lowest availability for product in nearly 3 decades for our industry.
The following users liked this post:
ZuffenZeus (05-23-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 03:09 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
As others have posted here it is across all sectors.
Not only hard goods but soft goods as well.
My wife and I sell boots, our mfg told me last week, in September it was about $7000.00 US for a container from Southeast Asia to Boston.
By December it was over $9000 US, February hit $11,000 US.
There are ports around the world with product that has significant distribution problems.
The Suez Canal only lasted a short time, but it put a huge ripple affect on import/export around the globe.
The forecast in retail for soft goods is going to be very bumpy.
Jake is pretty impressive with putting a person on sourcing products 6 months ahead.
I wish we saw this coming, lowest availability for product in nearly 3 decades for our industry.
I put Rebecca on this task 21 February of 2020. At that point I pulled her from managing the things associated with classes and support materials, since I knew we'd not be having any more hands on classes for at least a year. She had been my retail manager from 2004-2012 when I shut down parts sales, and she had always maintained a role of sourcing components as a collateral duty.
Today all she does all day long is scrounge for parts..
I actually had anticipated that we were going to have component delivery issues like this in October of last year, but it didn't happen.It really kicked in around February of this year, and is looking grim for the foreseeable future.

Pistons that used to be completed in 3 weeks are now 16 weeks IF you pay an expedite fee. Due to that every piston we need until August of 2022 is already on order, and has been.

At some point it is definitely going to bite us on some job(s) but thinking ahead, and getting things before we need them will remain the key to mitigating these instances as much as possible.

Yes, shipping containers are through the roof.. I used to ship a container from Amsterdam to Jacksonville for 1700.00 with my bulk discounts. That is now 4,700.00

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 05-22-2021 at 03:11 PM.
ZuffenZeus (05-23-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 09:59 AM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm hoping the supply chain thing comes to an end soon and that the costs of materials returns to at least semi normality so that it doesn't become so expensive that the demand for goods and services dwindles due to inflation.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:03 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nrp3
I'm hoping the supply chain thing comes to an end soon and that the costs of materials returns to at least semi normality so that it doesn't become so expensive that the demand for goods and services dwindles due to inflation.
This is exactly what I expect to occur, and we are prepared for. At some point the bubble will burst.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:12 AM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't depend upon new homes or buildings, though renovations are part of the business and that'll take a hit for sure. Plenty of service work, which I prefer anyway, should keep things going. Hopefully it just amounts to a slowdown or correction and not a nose dive.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:18 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nrp3
I don't depend upon new homes or buildings, though renovations are part of the business and that'll take a hit for sure. Plenty of service work, which I prefer anyway, should keep things going. Hopefully it just amounts to a slowdown or correction and not a nose dive.
Things are booming too hard.. I'm no economist, but I am prepared for a big hit that lasts for a long time. This is why we are trying so hard to secure components for the long term. My company doubled revenue in the period of the last recession, and I plan to capitalize on what's coming this time as well.. Lots of time is spent praying, preparing, and thinking.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:28 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Some things are backing down

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Things are booming too hard.. I'm no economist, but I am prepared for a big hit that lasts for a long time. This is why we are trying so hard to secure components for the long term. My company doubled revenue in the period of the last recession, and I plan to capitalize on what's coming this time as well.. Lots of time is spent praying, preparing, and thinking.
Lumber is already backing back a bit, natural gas is going up. I’ll take a while but stuff will stabilize. Anyway yesterday autonation Ford offered me $35k for my 2019 F150 that I Paid $28,500 19 months ago mileage is 17,000, the problem is what I am going to drive in the meantime. We have seen these issues in the oil industry when force majeure is declared. Nothing new but it can definitely wreck a market.

Last edited by 3/98 911 coupe; 05-23-2021 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 05-23-2021, 11:30 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
Lumber is already backing back a bit, natural gas is going up. I’ll take a while but stuff will stabilize. Anyway yesterday autonation Ford offered me $35k for my 2019 F150 that I Paid $28,500 19 months ago mileage is 17,000, the problem is what I am going to drive in the meantime. We have seen these issues in the oil industry when force majeure is declared. Nothing new but it can definitely wreck a market.
Domestic supplies will bounce back fairly soon I think.. The internationally sourced components will take longer, which is why we are focusing on them. A ton of our stuff is manufactured in USA, so that helps. Staple items like timing chains, gaskets, water pumps, and heat exchangers are an issue.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:09 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Well getting back to our origionally scheduled program.

i have made a decision on the direction im going and placed a deposit on the fix.
The following 3 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
plpete84 (05-25-2021), Porschetech3 (05-24-2021), zbomb (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 11:19 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Well getting back to our origionally scheduled program.

i have made a decision on the direction im going and placed a deposit on the fix.
Oh? did you buy that GT3 on Pcarmarket?
Old 05-24-2021, 11:20 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

It's going to be tough to sell my pride and joy...happy its going to such a good home.

He's going to run way faster lap times with it than I did.

Was I not supposed to tell ?

De Jeeper (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 11:36 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by golock911
Oh? did you buy that GT3 on Pcarmarket?

I dont think so never been on pcarmarket u got a link? Maybe i can sell a kidney or 2 to get it.

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust.