996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"new" C4S and engine rebuild; bad bore score

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 11:36 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,211 Likes on 658 Posts

You need a @yaz996 phone mount. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...one-mount.html

I like the combination of colors on the car, and I've always loved Martini liveries in general. Good choice!
The following 2 users liked this post by wdb:
e30rapidic (03-06-2023), gtxracer (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 04:40 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 171 Posts

Wow, sourced those quickly. Well done!
The following users liked this post:
e30rapidic (03-06-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:13 AM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 274 Posts

Got the hood taken care of. Received black door numbers with the kit but thinking of ordering a white set instead. Wasn’t planning on numbers at first but I think they fill the doors a bit better and may as well pose to the max.

But hey, 32 and 36 were my car numbers when I actually did race.

Also had something else in the garage to tinker on. Resurrected a buddy’s Harley Road King that his dad gave him years ago. Didn’t run but really simple to work on. It’s almost road worthy, needs new tires and some minor carburetor adjustments.

Last edited by e30rapidic; 03-27-2023 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:24 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Motorcycle is done, up and running like a champ. Cayenne GTS is gone and has been replaced with a Panamera GTS. Bought on a whim but wow, what a great car.

Been thoroughly enjoying the Panamera so decided to try my hand at paint and body work on the 996. The front bumper had some paint damage and indentations where it had been backed into under previous ownership. The rear spoiler had some paint fade and was cracking on the top of it. I sanded, filled, primered, sanded, filled, sanded, filled, primered, painted, then clear coated it (did I mention lots of sanding???). I need to cut and polish the spoiler but very pleased with how it has come out!

Front bumper also got sanded, stripped and filled.....and has a test strip on it to see how smooth I got the curvature of the nose. I need to rework a small area around where I filled the license plate holes. I hope to get it all painted up by the weekend, then install the new wheel well liners and front splitter.

Once all the paint and clear has been put down, I'll wetsand, cut and polish the whole car. Lastly, I'll put a ceramic coating on it.

Won't be much left to do to the car now. Maybe recolor the wheels in a gold/bronze? I'm going to need a new project soon!!!!

the car was filthy as it was my daily driver for a while. I didn't clean before body work - no point really!

paint/clear is down. Will need to block sand a bit and cut/polish.

Front bumper damage

close up

first pass of sanding/filling

after more sanding/filling

and even more sanding

test strip

Hopefully the next post will be of a somewhat complete car, in one color!

Cheers...
The following 2 users liked this post by e30rapidic:
wdb (04-20-2023), yaz996 (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 01:43 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 171 Posts

wow.
e30rapidic (04-19-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 04:46 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Black is so dang hard to photograph. Most of the paint work detailing is done. It's not perfect but so much better. It's a daily driver so bumpers and paintwork is a solid 9/10.

Have some more detailing to do, like scrub the rear bumperettes (will either paint or delete) and clean up some of the stripes where the edges have a bit of compound on them.

I also polished the tail lights, I'm really pleased with how they came out.

Going to drive it as is for now, may spend some more time filling rock chips on the front fenders. I also replaced the front wheel well liners and cleaned out the grills when the front bumper was off. I have anew front splitter but not sure I'm going to put it on yet as it sits a bit low.

https://youtube.com/shorts/VnnDLyDcR3g?feature=share

Last edited by e30rapidic; 04-30-2023 at 04:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by e30rapidic:
EVOMMM (04-30-2023), gtxracer (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 10:51 PM
Mpfaff
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Nicely done.
e30rapidic (05-02-2023)
Old 07-09-2023, 05:57 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

It's weird, having the car just sit there and not needing anything be done to it. Just get in and drive. No drips, no smells, no leaks, no bangs, no squeaks, everything working like it should.
Hate to say it but its a bit boring not having something to tinker on

The following 4 users liked this post by e30rapidic:
dougn (08-08-2023), GC996 (07-09-2023), golock911 (07-09-2023), wdb (07-09-2023)
Old 07-09-2023, 07:13 PM
c210rg
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Amen to that. it is a great deal of satisfaction to work on these cars and stand back and appreciate the results. Then you just want to do more and more. I guess is sucks to have a perfect car!
e30rapidic (07-10-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 10:18 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Car is still running like a champ, just passed annual inspection.

Managed to score a free Thule cargo box! Previous owner had lost the keys and put it out to pasture. Got two new keys from the code on the lock and it popped right open. It has some light scuff marks; if they don’t buff out I may paint it black.

No Martini stripes though 😬

wdb (08-06-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 10:51 AM
ermandadana
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e30rapidic
New to the 996 forum but been over on the 958 forum for quite a while. I now have a lovely black 2004 C4S to compliment my black Cayenne GTS. Quite a good looking combo We also have a black 987 Cayman S, silver 996.1 cabriolet and 997 cabriolet in the extended family.

I was looking for a new project and found this 2004 C4S with 86,000 miles on it, basically as a roller as it needed some serious engine work. I was looking for something to do to keep my sanity but most importantly something that my kids (6 and 8) had shown interest in...this was something we could make memories for years to come in and I feel like I deserve it. The previous owner had owned the car for many years and had obviously taken stellar care of the car...but the dreaded bore scoring reared its ugly head. The car had been off the road for some time before he deiced to sell. I found the car online and had been watching it for a few weeks; it had sold twice before but got re-listed again!! I was a bit cautious but decided to reach out and see. So glad I did, the owner was a super nice guy and extremely open and honest! After some serious online discussions which turned into FaceTime calls, lots of pacing on my side and finally a deal.This was my first time buying anything of the magnitude sight unseen and had a load of questions.

I was looking for a C4S in particular, wanted a manual but ended up with a Tiptronic. I may swap the transmission later on, we'll see. For some reason I really wanted a car with a rear wiper, must be the Brit in me?? However, there are so many plusses on this car, I can overlook the wiper.

Car was delivered to me via enclosed trailer on my wife's birthday, which was fitting as my Cayenne was actually built on her birthday. A neat connection, I think. The C4S ran under its own power but had very noticeable piston slap and smoked. I had to jump the car to get it started upon delivery and figured I'd take it for a quick spin. The piston slap and smoking on start up was pretty bad but mostly dissipated after 15 seconds or so. The slapping noise was bearable but the smoke became so bad once moving, I turned around after about 200 feet. I was afraid it would grenade in front of my house! So I've driven my new to me C4S about 400 feet since owning it....So after a few pics with the kids and a thorough inspection inside and underneath to see what I had, the 996 has claimed its new spot in the garage and is ready for some TLC....

Car is in phenomenal shape, with only 1 small ding below the drivers door. I felt great about it because I could tell the PO took care of it and kept it in tip top shape. The rear spoiler and front bumper will need some paint work to be perfect but overall I was/am extremely pleased. Everything works; AC is cold, no broken or missing bits, even both of the vanity mirrors in the visors are 100% functional. Few additional goodies are the GT3 rims, new touchscreen double din receiver with all the latest fancy tech, integrated bluetooth microphone, H&R lowering springs with Bilstein shocks, adjustable suspension arms, GT2LM wing, new engine mounts, Fabspeed exhaust and near perfect condition inside and out. The frunk has flat black vinyl on it which I may remove.

Options included:
X46-Aluminium Tiptronic selector lever
X54-Stainless steel tailpipes
X71-Alu-look instrument faces
X98-Handbrake lever with aluminium inlay
249-Tiptronic transmission, 5-speed
288-Headlamp washer
342-Seat heating
416-18" 996.2 GT wheels (width specific to model)
432-Tiptronic buttons for steering wheel
601-Litronic (xenon) headlamps
680-Bose sound system (analog) LONG GONE!
939-Draped leather rear seats
982-Draped leather front seats
09991- has leather dash, brushed 4S door sills, alcantara headliner so I'm assuming these were part of that exclusive package? Still trying to sort out what this option package has.

Plans are Nickies 4.0 build and maybe back to the original wing. Undecided on whether or not to leave the rear lights and reflector strip on the deckled as tinted. I do like the look though as it matches the oem tail lights on my GTS.

I like the ride height but will honestly need to go back to the oem turbo/4S springs to get around town.

More to come....
Oh wow man that's a nice set up of cars.

Last edited by ermandadana; 08-08-2023 at 12:11 PM.
e30rapidic (08-09-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 06:00 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
wow.
Yeah, he's my hero too LOL!
e30rapidic (08-09-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 06:03 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by e30rapidic
Black is so dang hard to photograph. Most of the paint work detailing is done. It's not perfect but so much better. It's a daily driver so bumpers and paintwork is a solid 9/10.

Have some more detailing to do, like scrub the rear bumperettes (will either paint or delete) and clean up some of the stripes where the edges have a bit of compound on them.

I also polished the tail lights, I'm really pleased with how they came out.

Going to drive it as is for now, may spend some more time filling rock chips on the front fenders. I also replaced the front wheel well liners and cleaned out the grills when the front bumper was off. I have anew front splitter but not sure I'm going to put it on yet as it sits a bit low.

https://youtube.com/shorts/VnnDLyDcR3g?feature=share
How did you paint....rattle cans or gun? what did you do about dust?
Old 08-09-2023, 11:14 AM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ermandadana
Oh wow man that's a nice set up of cars.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by dougn
Yeah, he's my hero too LOL!
haha, thanks!

Originally Posted by dougn
How did you paint....rattle cans or gun? what did you do about dust?
It’s all rattle can; but like everyone says, it’s all in the prep!! I ordered the paint online and used 4K clear coat. I put a load of clear layers on as I knew I’d need to do some sanding afterwards to make it super smooth. I’ll sand even finer this winter, now that it’s had time to cure.

As for dust, I just picked calm days to work on it. The whole car and immediate area were draped in plastic. I kept the garage doors open for ventilation. Luckily no bugs or nibs in the paint!

For the stone chips on the hood, I got one of those pen style applicators and dabbed each chip. Took quite a while. Then sanded everything flush with a block and 2k sandpaper. That was a bit scary at first.
Old 08-25-2023, 03:29 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

And now we’re back to black. Going to try something different.

Not sure what.

Maybe paint the section of new fence finally?

wdb (08-25-2023)

Quick Reply: "new" C4S and engine rebuild; bad bore score