996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"new" C4S and engine rebuild; bad bore score

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 10:03 AM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 274 Posts

Thanks to anyone that is still following this and commenting/liking.

Polishing is taking forever but wow is it coming out awesome! A buddy came over with his buffer and detailing tools, you can see his reflection in the second pic. I had bought the Chemical Guys "kit" but will say that the 3M three stage polishing system absolutely blows it away. I've probably got 50 hours in the polishing now, almost done.

I have an F up that I need to fix on the rear wing. There was a reaction in the paint that I didn't catch until polishing time. Tried to compound it out and burned a spot. I also need to remove the door handles to disassemble and paint properly. Big party coming up, people are flying in from all over the place, so I want to have the car to show off. I'll fix the blemishes during the holiday break (I hope).

Rusty, our 16 month old field retriever, playing QA and inspecting my wet sanding. He hangs in the garage with me a lot. We lost his brother last week (16 years old) so he sticks to us all like glue. Super sweet dog.

reflection in the right rear quarter

GT3 throttle body upgrade coming sometime in the future, this is the same throttle body my Panamera and Cayenne have. I need to find a larger plenum though...Found a deal on a used IPD and bought it but realised too late that it was just the 74mm stock one (ooooopsie)

The following 5 users liked this post by e30rapidic:
Billy_Baroo (12-27-2023), GC996 (12-01-2023), gtxracer (12-27-2023), wdb (12-01-2023), yaz996 (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 12:37 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

Sweet Cheetos that reflection is amazing! I have considered wet sanding mine too but it always has fallen lower on the priority. Someday.

I look forward to your impressions of the 82mm TB. My 4.0 has great low and mid range but the top end falls off (only 3k mi so maybe it will get better). I think the big bore engines are restricted by stock TB and manifold.
The following users liked this post:
e30rapidic (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 05:34 PM
Sjdhsb
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e30rapidic
New to the 996 forum but been over on the 958 forum for quite a while. I now have a lovely black 2004 C4S to compliment my black Cayenne GTS. Quite a good looking combo We also have a black 987 Cayman S, silver 996.1 cabriolet and 997 cabriolet in the extended family.

I was looking for a new project and found this 2004 C4S with 86,000 miles on it, basically as a roller as it needed some serious engine work. I was looking for something to do to keep my sanity but most importantly something that my kids (6 and 8) had shown interest in...this was something we could make memories for years to come in and I feel like I deserve it. The previous owner had owned the car for many years and had obviously taken stellar care of the car...but the dreaded bore scoring reared its ugly head. The car had been off the road for some time before he deiced to sell. I found the car online and had been watching it for a few weeks; it had sold twice before but got re-listed again!! I was a bit cautious but decided to reach out and see. So glad I did, the owner was a super nice guy and extremely open and honest! After some serious online discussions which turned into FaceTime calls, lots of pacing on my side and finally a deal.This was my first time buying anything of the magnitude sight unseen and had a load of questions.

I was looking for a C4S in particular, wanted a manual but ended up with a Tiptronic. I may swap the transmission later on, we'll see. For some reason I really wanted a car with a rear wiper, must be the Brit in me?? However, there are so many plusses on this car, I can overlook the wiper.

Car was delivered to me via enclosed trailer on my wife's birthday, which was fitting as my Cayenne was actually built on her birthday. A neat connection, I think. The C4S ran under its own power but had very noticeable piston slap and smoked. I had to jump the car to get it started upon delivery and figured I'd take it for a quick spin. The piston slap and smoking on start up was pretty bad but mostly dissipated after 15 seconds or so. The slapping noise was bearable but the smoke became so bad once moving, I turned around after about 200 feet. I was afraid it would grenade in front of my house! So I've driven my new to me C4S about 400 feet since owning it....

So after a few pics with the kids and a thorough inspection inside and underneath to see what I had, the 996 has claimed its new spot in the garage and is ready for some TLC....

Car is in phenomenal shape, with only 1 small ding below the drivers door. I felt great about it because I could tell the PO took care of it and kept it in tip top shape. The rear spoiler and front bumper will need some paint work to be perfect but overall I was/am extremely pleased. Everything works; AC is cold, no broken or missing bits, even both of the vanity mirrors in the visors are 100% functional. Few additional goodies are the GT3 rims, new touchscreen double din receiver with all the latest fancy tech, integrated bluetooth microphone, H&R lowering springs with Bilstein shocks, adjustable suspension arms, GT2LM wing, new engine mounts, Fabspeed exhaust and near perfect condition inside and out. The frunk has flat black vinyl on it which I may remove.

Options included:
X46-Aluminium Tiptronic selector lever
X54-Stainless steel tailpipes
X71-Alu-look instrument faces
X98-Handbrake lever with aluminium inlay
249-Tiptronic transmission, 5-speed
288-Headlamp washer
342-Seat heating
416-18" 996.2 GT wheels (width specific to model)
432-Tiptronic buttons for steering wheel
601-Litronic (xenon) headlamps
680-Bose sound system (analog) LONG GONE!
939-Draped leather rear seats
982-Draped leather front seats
09991- has leather dash, brushed 4S door sills, alcantara headliner so I'm assuming these were part of that exclusive package? Still trying to sort out what this option package has.

Plans are Nickies 4.0 build and maybe back to the original wing. Undecided on whether or not to leave the rear lights and reflector strip on the deckled as tinted. I do like the look though as it matches the oem tail lights on my GTS.

I like the ride height but will honestly need to go back to the oem turbo/4S springs to get around town.

More to come....
sounds like its in pretty rough shape engine but a great starting point to build around otherwise
Old 12-01-2023, 07:27 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Sjdhsb
sounds like its in pretty rough shape engine but a great starting point to build around otherwise

??? bot?

Anyway, that must have been some coffee. You're a maniac. That's insane.

I think that's the best way to do the bumper delete.

What did you like about the 3M polish kit? There's always a possibility that I might get around to doing something like that.
e30rapidic (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 08:33 AM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c didy
??? bot?

Anyway, that must have been some coffee. You're a maniac. That's insane.

I think that's the best way to do the bumper delete.

What did you like about the 3M polish kit? There's always a possibility that I might get around to doing something like that.
haha, I enjoyed it but I'm glad it's almost over. I've learned that that hand sanding is way better than machine sanding and that polishing a car is quite therapeutic. I still need to polish the bumpers and touch up a burn through on the passenger roof rail. oops.. That will have to wait a while as I'm going to drive the car for a few weeks.

The 3M system leaves almost zero haze and I feel like it's just shinier.

Not sure about the crest delete on the front end. I filled the holes but may just put the badge on anyway. I was thinking of the GT car sticker emblems but meh.

I need to order the Carrera 4S emblem for the back, anyone have the template dimensions handy? I wrote them down but must have thrown them out. ​​​​​​​

wdb (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 10:37 AM
996C438
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 294 Posts

My opinion install the front emblem but leave off any rear decals/name plates . It looks very clean .
e30rapidic (12-12-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 11:15 AM
Formerly996fried
Rennlist Member

Location: Deep in the woods near PA border in People's Dystopia Republic of New Jersey
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

My opinion install the front emblem but leave off any rear decals/name plates . It looks very clean .
I am in the same camp! I know that I purchased a Porsche, and I do not need to be reminded of it by adding a Porsche script engraved on everything.....I have the parts repair receipts to prove it! However, that being said, I like the look of your car as it appears to define the design elements without all the rubber maid appendages. It is just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Formerly996fried; 12-04-2023 at 11:24 AM.
e30rapidic (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 03:32 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Progress on the 996 has been slow over the last month, I've been driving it and thoroughly enjoying it! And best part of all is that I can say the gas fuel level and mpg readings are now accurate. Small win there....!

When allowed, I finally spent some time working on the e30. That car is so basic compared to the 996. I put the supercharger in last Christmas but had not been able to get the VANOS to function properly. After a lot of time idling in gear on jackstands , trial and error, and multimeter testing, I narrowed it down to a failed diode on the speedometer board. The speedometer output (VSS) signal was not getting back to the S50's DME, so it was in a limp mode of sorts.
I ended up buying a replacement speedometer off eBay rather than trying to rebuild it. I did reflow all of the solder joints but now have a fully functional VSS signal to the DME....and fully supercharged S50 . Once the intake goes back together in the 996, I'll be able to move the 996 and take a spin in the e30. I have a feeling it will be comical.

The e30 is NOT leaking on to the 996, that streaking is from cleaning the nooks and crannies of the 996 with a toothbrush.

Back to the 996 and bench testing. I bought a Cayenne throttle body off eBay for $22!!! It's the same part as the larger GT2 throttle body for a fraction of the price. I also have a larger IPD 82mm plenum inbound. Got that for a steal as well since it had a blemish in th casting. Can't see once installed and zero affect on the performance. I'll get that installed this weekend.

In the meantime, you can see that the neck on the 996 airbox is almost the same size as the larger throttle body. I also have some left over charge piping that I may use as the intake piping instead of the silicon hose, just to be different.

I know the chatter about the IPD plenum "upgrade" but figured I have the Hoffman ported heads, underdrive pulley, and larger displacement engine would somewhat work together. I'm going to figure out how to disconnect the front driveshaft without the front diff leaking (plug the diff snout?!?!), and take it in for a dyno tune. I can't justify the cost of the 2WD conversion spindle, just to get it on a dyno.

Here is a good shot to see how smooth the airflow would be if I end up using the charge piping.

test fit of the old e30 intake adapter from when the S50 had the larger euro MAF on it.

Last edited by e30rapidic; 12-27-2023 at 04:16 PM.
GC996 (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 03:33 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996C438
Cheers. I agree with you; the front does look like something is missing.
Old 12-27-2023, 04:07 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Air box modifications in process.

I thought the foam was there to absorb any water that may have made its way into the airbox so began a google search. Apparently it's for noise reduction. So no need to replace that.....

I had a cap in the resonator to block off the resonator flow "mod" but hardly noticed a difference in sound. My larger throttle body setup won't utilize the resonator tubing, so I thought up a quick way to clean up the top of the air box, without using a brightly covered and logo-ed cap.

I cut out two pieces of the same ABS sheet I used to make the bumperette delete panels. Larger disc goes on the inside and smaller disc goes on the top. I didn't have the correct size hole saw for the larger disc so had to trim an oversized one down by hand. It's glued in place and out of sight. I'll fill in the edge around the top with plastic weld to clean it up and make it flush. If it looks subpar when I'm done, I'll just find some sort of round sticker to cover it up.

And I saved .8 pounds

Here's a photo of the Cayenne 82mm throttle body I bought. I'll add more to this post once the larger intake system is in place.

Photo below is the inspiration for my next project....Aurum gold wheels.

Also need a way to temporarily (and safely) convert to 2WD for the dyno run. Any ideas? or anyone with old (ie CHEAP) front axles for sale that I could take apart?

Old 12-27-2023, 04:28 PM
dimetime
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My preferred 991/992 order would be Aventurine green with aurum wheels, GT3 wheels in Aurum would be awesome, looking forward to it
e30rapidic (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 05:15 PM
bmchan
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by e30rapidic

Photo below is the inspiration for my next project....Aurum gold wheels.

Also need a way to temporarily (and safely) convert to 2WD for the dyno run. Any ideas? or anyone with old (ie CHEAP) front axles for sale that I could take apart?

Ouch that is striking!
Old 12-27-2023, 06:40 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Im sure there r many threads in the turbo section for front axle elimination.

While i have not done it cant u just get 2 axle stubs from a junk yard like dc auto, remove the front diff, axle shafts and driveshaft and be done? U dont need to swap uprights or shocks eventhough it would be best for suspension geometry.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:44 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 254 Posts

Aurum Gold Rims - Prismatic Powder Color? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 12-27-2023, 10:50 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,131 Posts

You can remove the cardan shaft without anything leaking from the front diff. Just unbolt the guibo from the transmission and pull the cardan shaft out.

Quick Reply: "new" C4S and engine rebuild; bad bore score