996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"new" C4S and engine rebuild; bad bore score

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 10:36 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to get an ECU/DME from a manual car? That's what I did. Of course it's then required to get the new ECU/DME matched to the immobilizer. I haven't dealt with that yet as I am still waiting for my manual gearbox to get rebuilt.
Old 03-18-2022, 02:27 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Ecu doctors in FL can do the reprogram and marry componants. They may even be able to just flash a 6sp program to the original dme.
The following users liked this post:
e30rapidic (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 03:15 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,131 Posts

ECU doctors told me they couldn't set the VIN in my manual cluster to match my car. I think they can do it for 996.1 only. He told me that he can reset the VIN in the ECU to match my immobilizer.
Palo Alto Speedometer told me they can't reset the VIN in my manual cluster, either. They can reset the odometer to match my car.
The dealer can reflash an auto ECU to manual. Whether they will or not is a different story. The dealer can also VIN match a used ECU. Again, they may not want to but they can.
So I think the PIWIS is the tool needed. I don't have a PIWIS. Sometimes I wish I did.
e30rapidic (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 06:01 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 274 Posts

all new stuff waiting

this is the tiptronic coolant hose, you can see the T for the transmission cooler. The hose for the manual is obviously different....and on back order. So I may have to plug it and wait.

Console is mostly back together....

lazy mans way of holding the crank from spinning. I just used what I had on the floor with me

nice to know that I don't have any oil leaks...
The following 2 users liked this post by e30rapidic:
golock911 (03-20-2022), wdb (03-19-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 06:03 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
Wouldn't it be easier to get an ECU/DME from a manual car? That's what I did. Of course it's then required to get the new ECU/DME matched to the immobilizer. I haven't dealt with that yet as I am still waiting for my manual gearbox to get rebuilt.
Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Ecu doctors in FL can do the reprogram and marry componants. They may even be able to just flash a 6sp program to the original dme.
Originally Posted by theprf
ECU doctors told me they couldn't set the VIN in my manual cluster to match my car. I think they can do it for 996.1 only. He told me that he can reset the VIN in the ECU to match my immobilizer.
Palo Alto Speedometer told me they can't reset the VIN in my manual cluster, either. They can reset the odometer to match my car.
The dealer can reflash an auto ECU to manual. Whether they will or not is a different story. The dealer can also VIN match a used ECU. Again, they may not want to but they can.
So I think the PIWIS is the tool needed. I don't have a PIWIS. Sometimes I wish I did.
From what I've deduced, PIWIS is the easiest. It will just change the program in the existing DME from auto to manual. No recoding or swapping immobilizers/keys needed.

We shall see.....
Old 03-18-2022, 10:32 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Man i have that hose with only a couple hundred miles but its for a 3.4l and i think they changed the hard pipes on the engine side for the 3.6. If u think its the same i can send it out.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:19 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Man i have that hose with only a couple hundred miles but its for a 3.4l and i think they changed the hard pipes on the engine side for the 3.6. If u think its the same i can send it out.
Cheers for that offer!! I'd already ordered it and will just plug the T if it doesn't come in before I get the car running again. Also ordered the 2 hard pipes and 2 coolant lines to wrap the manual transmission.

So, I plugged up the durametric to see how awful the codes scenario is. Engine is out so obviously it threw a few more faults than there really are but not bad...

I'm pretty confident that I'll be in good shape if I get it on PIWIS to reprogram the DME from tiptronic to manual.... Fingers crossed!

obviously since the engine is out.....

As expected, time to get to work!

drivers seat is out, hence the airbag code. Not sure what's up with the HVAC code?!

Now I'm down to these....I've had an intermittent ABS/PSM fault so put a new brake switch in with this swap. Don't remember seeing the steering angle sensor so that will take a bit of learning. Now that I think about it, I think i'left something unplugged near the steering column. hmmmm, could that be it?

brake fluid level is low because I've kept it below the clutch master cylinder fill line. That one is an easy fix.

The hard plastic "head to AOS" breather hose had cracked so I will wait until that comes in before I put the engine back in. The power steering tank also had a small drip so I removed and cleaned up the pipe end, and reworked the orings. Was easier to just remove the intakes to do it all and clean the top of the engine.

Last edited by e30rapidic; 03-20-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:14 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Steering angle sensor code has gone away, I had just forgot to plug it back in. Oops.

That blue clip I needed for the clutch master cylinder has been sourced and replaced by VW part 7M0721431 (although it's silver but who cares). Worked like a charm....

Old 03-20-2022, 04:19 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,211 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by e30rapidic
That blue clip I needed for the clutch master cylinder has been sourced and replaced by VW part 7M0721431 (although it's silver but who cares). Worked like a charm....
Glad to hear it, and congratulations on making such good progress. I looked through my BMW bits, never found the old master cylinder, also never got back to you about it. Apologies for that!
e30rapidic (03-27-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 08:25 PM
Russ59
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e30rapidic
I finally installed two new Sylvania fog light bulbs today. Passenger side was working but went ahead and dropped two new ones in and will save the old one as a spare. Not an upgrade this time, as replaced like for like, but at least I have two functioning fog lights now....

I've decided my days of rolling around on the concrete floor are over! Bought the tall version so I wouldn't hit my head and the wifes Suburban will fit under it if needed. I've ordered the bracket to remount the hydraulic pump on the side, so we'll have bit more clearance parking beside it. 996 is on bottom as I drive it more.

Remounted the garage door for lift clearance a few weeks ago, used a kit from DDM Garage Doors and a Chamberlain side opener from Amazon. DIY instructions from DDM were easy as was the side opener conversion. I'll be doing our 2nd garage door soon.
Hello OP, I too have installed a four post lift in my garage and often contemplate if I could do an engine R&R with a four post. In one of your photos when swapping out to the manual transmission, it looks like you did while on the lift. Earlier photos show the engine/AT removal as an entire unit (before you owned the four post lift). I too used a side mount door opener to gain ceiling clearance. Really happy with the results. I have a 59 Impala on the bottom with my nephew's 57 Bel Air on top (without wheels, resting on the suspension) in a 10' garage.

If I were to do an engine/transmission removal, could I do it with my four post lift with the wheels/suspension still on the car? It appears that is what you did. Can you confirm?

Thanks for the awesome documentation of your project. I dream of finding a nice 996/997 that may have engine issues. I'm gaining confidence that I could do an engine swap - perhaps not the rebuild but at least attach the accessories and reinstall.

Thanks
Russ
Old 03-27-2022, 03:13 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russ59
Hello OP, I too have installed a four post lift in my garage and often contemplate if I could do an engine R&R with a four post. In one of your photos when swapping out to the manual transmission, it looks like you did while on the lift. Earlier photos show the engine/AT removal as an entire unit (before you owned the four post lift). I too used a side mount door opener to gain ceiling clearance. Really happy with the results. I have a 59 Impala on the bottom with my nephew's 57 Bel Air on top (without wheels, resting on the suspension) in a 10' garage.

If I were to do an engine/transmission removal, could I do it with my four post lift with the wheels/suspension still on the car? It appears that is what you did. Can you confirm?

Thanks for the awesome documentation of your project. I dream of finding a nice 996/997 that may have engine issues. I'm gaining confidence that I could do an engine swap - perhaps not the rebuild but at least attach the accessories and reinstall.

Thanks
Russ
Go for it! these engines aren't hard at all!!!

I dropped the engine and transmission out of the bottom with the wheels and tires on. Wasn't "easy peasy" but a lot easier that using jacks!! Lowering it down on to a hydraulic table (or two) would be ideal, then you can just raise the car up. I had to brace the engine up about 2' in the air so I could still slide under the ramps (with lift locked in place of course) in order to remove the transmission hanger bolts.

The clearance was tight, I had to remove the mufflers and had maybe 1/16" inch clearance total. I could remove one of the muffler braces and have a lot more room but it worked. I'll remove one brace when I put the engine back in.

I have Auto Lift Car-Park-8-PlusP 8,000 lb. Extra Tall
Capacity 8,000 lbs.
Lifting Height 82.3"
Overall Length w/Ramp 222.5"
Overall Length w/No Ramp 190.7"
Overall Width 109.4"
Runway Tread Width 18.7"
Runway Length 180.5"
Runway Height 4.3"
Column Height 94"
Clerance Between Columns 100.3"
Clearance between Runways 42.2"
Outside Runway to Outside Runway 80.7"
Clerance Under Runways 78"
Old 03-27-2022, 03:32 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

I'll probably get flamed for this one but its a fix that's holding....

I found the source of my power steering leak, it was the end of the return pipe where it sticks into the power steering reservoir. At the lovely red clip.

Long story short, It was in rough shape so I cut all of the black plastic like coating off and hit it with aluminum oxide strip to smooth it out. I put it all back together but it still had a small drip. After scratching my head and going through all my o-rings in the stash, it dawned on me that the inner diameter of the o-rings weren't quite sealing on the pipe. Googling to see what I could buy to coat the pipe in turned up nothing.

In a last ditch effort to not have to buy a new pipe, I thought about heat shrink tubing. My Cayenne GTS has wires in the transmission pan with heat shrink tubing. I mean its all hydraulic fluid so.....

Fitting is snug and more importantly dry. I'll keep an eye on it but feeling pretty confident.

Last edited by e30rapidic; 03-27-2022 at 03:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by e30rapidic:
davidpg (04-01-2022), JohnCA58 (03-28-2022), Mpfaff (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 04:10 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

I love it. That pipe gave me fits for months.
e30rapidic (03-27-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 11:10 AM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Going to try my best at doing this project 100% in my garage. Have an old Windows 7 laptop that I use Durametric on, now running PIWIS through WinXP on a virtual machine. Quirky but I get to see what PIWIS is all about.

If I can't get it sussed, no harm. I've got a place in town that has PIWIS. Plus there's always the dealer....

Last edited by e30rapidic; 04-01-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:48 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Small update today. Thought this would be a two minute job since I already had the gauges out. Just pop the needles and swap faces. Oh no......!! Hadn't read anywhere about those little plastic grommet things that hold the gauge face tight. They're hard plastic and compression fit, so a bit of a bugger to get out. Luckily they are completely hidden behind the needle.

Still thinking of swapping all the gauges out for red, that's what I have in my GTS and love them. But for now, there is one less tiptronic reminder in the car....

Had a visitor watch me on the front porch. There are actually two and we think they followed us from our old house (we only moved a street away haha)
wdb (04-06-2022)

Quick Reply: "new" C4S and engine rebuild; bad bore score