Sponsored by:

"new" C4S and engine rebuild; bad bore score

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 09:45 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by bmchan
I must have missed something - You're converting this from a Tip to a manual?
yes, I've been talking (and writing) about it for a while but finally bought all the stuff to start it!

Originally Posted by wdb
Ambitious! I'm on my way out to the garage shortly to install new shift cables on the targa. Speaking of which, did I see any in those pics? Maybe in the box of stuff, but they really don't take well to bending that sharply...
they were in there, just didn't have a good pic. Thankfully not bent, the shipper did a great job of buttoning everything up. I may replace them and the shifter eventually but want to see how these feel first.

Originally Posted by hkovalcik
@e30rapidic any chance you have a video of the bore score prior to rebuild? And as I've already said, thanks for the thread - great stuff (love the e30 too - we have an '87 and its been running ITB's on the stock M20 for a few years now - great mod I would highly recommend).
Nice move on the e30 and I'm glad you're getting a good read from the thread!!! I do have a video of the engine running from when it got delivered......sounded awful and smoked a lot.

Originally Posted by gtxracer
I converted my 996.1 from Tip to manual. Not that hard at all. Hydraulic lines were hardest to source. I ended up using a braided line and designed new fittings but would've preferred the OEM lines. Make sure you find the correct year shifter cables and CV axles, I made that mistake! Good luck!
Actually followed your build thread for incentive on doing this!! I got all of the parts from a wrecked C4S: rear axles, shifter and cables, pedals, basically everything needed except the firewall grommet and the clip that goes on the end of the pedal shaft.
The following users liked this post:
hkovalcik (03-24-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 11:06 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Did some work on the tiptronic to manual swap. I can confirm that the pedals can be swapped out WITH OUT removing the dash. I did remove the drivers seat though so I could lay flat on my back to work. Its tight up there but if you unhook the relay carrier on the footwell, it will move out of the way and give you all the room you need to slide the longer pedal bar in and clutch pedal assembly on. Just needed to source the two bolts holding the clutch master cylinder and top nut for the clutch bracket brace from my stash. I do need the clip for the end of the shaft though (on order)

Clutch master cylinder is in and both lines are poking through the grommets in the firewall. Next steps are to drain the hydraulic fluid and route the clutch line from the firewall to the back. I've decided I'm going to drop the engine down.

manual shifter photo op

removing the automatic brake pedal was easy

only difference between the assemblies is the length of the pedal support rod. Other than that they use the same parts.

comparison of the auto brake pedal and the manual pedal. Added rod length for the clutch pedal

I decided against using the clutch helper spring.

Relay carrier moved down a little bit to get the pedal rod aligned and through the bracket holes. I also removed a few of the tall relays for added clearance.

Pedals in!

3 pedal tiptronic eh?

I need this blue clip. Any idea if can even be ordered separately? Or anyone have one laying around??
The following 2 users liked this post by e30rapidic:
lordpantsington (03-12-2022), wdb (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 09:38 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,289 Likes on 709 Posts

Nice documentation! I think my BMW Z4 clutch master had that clip; I also think I threw all the old stuff away. I'll take a gander in the parts bin though.
e30rapidic (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 10:26 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Are you replacing the clutch master? If so it will come with that clip. I don't believe it's available separately.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:45 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wdb
Nice documentation! I think my BMW Z4 clutch master had that clip; I also think I threw all the old stuff away. I'll take a gander in the parts bin though.
thanks....and thanks! I would appreciate that.

Originally Posted by theprf
Are you replacing the clutch master? If so it will come with that clip. I don't believe it's available separately.
Wasn't planning to, this one only has a few thousand miles on it. I have found a VW part number, not sure if it will work though.

7M0721431

Old 03-05-2022, 04:54 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,798 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Kudo's to you for doing a Auto-to manual swap. !!

I have done a few of them but I swore off doing them a couple decades ago. The last one was my oldest son's T'bird Turbo-Coupe... I said never again......I'd rather do a ground up tube chassis Race Car than a Auto to Manual swap....
Formerly996fried (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 01:30 PM
Formerly996fried
Rennlist Member

Location: Deep in the woods near PA border in People's Dystopia Republic of New Jersey
Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes, been there done that....with a F-150, I cobbled together using an 85 frame, 87 cab, 90 bed, 94 sheet metal front end and changed the wiring from auto to manual using four wiring sets courtesy of the local boneyard.....
It was like opening up a real can of worms, even with the help of some engineer friends who worked at Ford at that time.....Even under the influence of many scotches served neat, would I ever, ever, ever do that again...but my hats off to you for doing it.....enjoy!
Old 03-06-2022, 08:40 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Kudo's to you for doing a Auto-to manual swap. !!

I have done a few of them but I swore off doing them a couple decades ago. The last one was my oldest son's T'bird Turbo-Coupe... I said never again......I'd rather do a ground up tube chassis Race Car than a Auto to Manual swap....
haha thanks! I built and raced cars for years. Last one was a full tube frame LMSC that I ran. Built everything except the transmission. Full tube frame car, 358 SBC with a Holley 2 barrel. Fun times.

Originally Posted by Formerly996fried
Yes, been there done that....with a F-150, I cobbled together using an 85 frame, 87 cab, 90 bed, 94 sheet metal front end and changed the wiring from auto to manual using four wiring sets courtesy of the local boneyard.....
It was like opening up a real can of worms, even with the help of some engineer friends who worked at Ford at that time.....Even under the influence of many scotches served neat, would I ever, ever, ever do that again...but my hats off to you for doing it.....enjoy!
Haha, cheers. Working on cars is my therapy. Hope it remain that way after doing this!!!
Porschetech3 (03-06-2022), zbomb (03-12-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 09:04 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

progress! Got the first clutch line segment in, hydraulic fluid reservoir, clutch master fill line, and the wheel well liner back in place. Spent most of the day unhooking everything from the engine in preparations of dropping it and the trans out from under the car. Taken a load of photos but will only include a few here, thinking I may start another thread on the six speed swap.

Hydraulic line fittings have to be separated to run through the body. They're compression/lock fittings.

Master cylinder line routed through the factory hole in the grommet.

Tiptronic and manual reservoirs have the same parts number...but obviously the clutch feed line is sealed on the tiptronic version. Fluid siphoned from the reservoir is in the water bottle.

New manual reservoir with clutch feed line in place and fluid filled to the clutch nipple. The paper towel is to see if any drips appear while I'm working on it.

Using oem grommets for all firewall pass throughs.

First long segment of the clutch line is routed. Black cover was removed, held on by three 10mm nuts. Clutch line snapped into the existing brackets.

front differential part number on my tiptronic is the same as all of the manual ones I've seen on eBay.

Last edited by e30rapidic; 03-06-2022 at 09:06 PM.
wdb (03-07-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 11:03 AM
theprf
Race Car

Originally Posted by e30rapidic

I need this blue clip. Any idea if can even be ordered separately? Or anyone have one laying around??
I found the Porsche PN for that clip the the GT3 PET: 996-423-614-00
e30rapidic (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 10:33 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

I found the Porsche PN for that clip the the GT3 PET: 996-423-614-00
awesome, thanks!!!
Old 03-12-2022, 10:32 AM
theprf
Race Car

Do you have the Part# for the small grommet on the clutch master supply line? I can't find that anywhere.

PS, all front diffs are the same for all 996's, Turbo, C4, C4S, manual, Tiptronic.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:22 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Do you have the Part# for the small grommet on the clutch master supply line? I can't find that anywhere.

PS, all front diffs are the same for all 996's, Turbo, C4, C4S, manual, Tiptronic.
I ended up reusing the grommet that was already in there. I just cut the nipple off and ran the line through the hole.

Thanks for confirming that! I wasn't able to find much on it but all signs pointed to them being the same.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:38 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

a few more progress pics. I've been reading a lot about can bus programming, its quite fascinating! I'll see what I can do with my Duramteric for the PID's and maybe try to write something. However I'll just probably end up going the PIWIS route and programmed the DME since I've wired the car to be exactly like the factory manual harness.

With a bit of luck(and time) I can get the tiptronic off and the clutch and manual transmission bolted up this weekend.

making new harnesses

color coding stuff made it so much easier to follow

have a new manual gauge to get rid of the tiptronic lights on the way in from Germany.

testing the reverse lights with a jumper. They work and the rear view camera turns on.

obligatory pic from underneath

axles are radically different lengths between tip and manual. That's the tiptronic plug wrapped in plastic and zip tied out of the way so it doesn't get coolant in it before I remove it. That **** is still dripping after a week.

manual trans mount on the left, tiptronic on the right. Same hardware but different mounting holes.

plpete84 (03-18-2022), wdb (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 10:22 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,866 Likes on 940 Posts

Amazing work!

Quick Reply: "new" C4S and engine rebuild; bad bore score